Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2008, 15:22   #241
Senior - BHPian

People are mentioning about the pricing & all that. Well let's settle the debate then, according to the official website the prices are as follows:

i20 Magna - 479900
i20 Asta - 559900
i20 Asta (O) - 581900

The prices are ex-showroom, so on-road prices for Delhi (4% registeration+2.xx% Insurance) would be 5.10L, 5.95L & 6.20L respectively.

Overpriced?? For the feature set & the product, I don't think so.
Old 30th December 2008, 15:34   #242
Senior - BHPian

I believe people were expecting a better engine & hence the disappointment. Feature wise prices look fine but if you compare the size of the car vis-a-vis the engine & then a put a price, they seemed to be going the Getz way again.
Old 30th December 2008, 15:35   #243
BHPian

IMO, If Hyundai had released another variant i20 Magna (O) [Magna + ABS] and priced it at 4.99L, it would have been Fantastic.

Regards!
Old 30th December 2008, 15:41   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
People are mentioning about the pricing & all that. Well let's settle the debate then, according to the official website the prices are as follows:

i20 Magna - 479900
i20 Asta - 559900
i20 Asta (O) - 581900

The prices are ex-showroom, so on-road prices for Delhi (4% registeration+2.xx% Insurance) would be 5.10L, 5.95L & 6.20L respectively.

Overpriced?? For the feature set & the product, I don't think so.

The prices are exactly the same as I had posted yesterday. But still,since I am in the market for a new small car to replace my 50,000 kms , 2.5 years old Swift with some thing different (Not selling the swift though), I am looking forward to a test drive the i20 otherwise the Swift Vdi with ABS, for which I am getting ready delivery, is always there.

Though I do feel that at 6 lacs on-road it is a bit expensive for what you get , especially the engine bit.

But I sincerely hope that it has a better driving position & a smaller steering than the Getz (The Getz , I drove from Delhi to Manali has the worst driver seat , coupled with the biggish steering wheel from the Accent meant that I was adjusting the driving position every 15-20 mins.)
Old 30th December 2008, 15:45   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I guess Hyundai has taken the i20 design cues from Mazda2, check the Mazda2 pics here:
Mazda - Mazda2 - Overview
Infact it looks like an entire rip-off from the Mazda2.

Afterall its a Hyundai cheers:
Old 30th December 2008, 15:45   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I guess Hyundai has taken the i20 design cues from Mazda2, check the Mazda2 pics here:
Mazda - Mazda2 - Overview
If you look at Overdrive Nov 2007 issue.
You would see that i20 and the Honda Jazz or Fit looks strikingly similar if not same.
Old 30th December 2008, 15:50   #247
BANNED

I see some similarities between A-Star launch and i20 launch:
Expectations were high, delivered most of them except in the engine department!
Old 30th December 2008, 17:12   #248
BHPian

Looks like another promising car from Hyundai ! good pricing for a feature rich car. it will definitely raise the rival standards.
would love to hear about the pricing for diesel i20 if expected soon.
conclusion : healthy competition is good for car buyers.
Old 30th December 2008, 17:17   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I see some similarities between A-Star launch and i20 launch:
Expectations were high, delivered most of them except in the engine department!

Why does every one keep forgetting that its not only the power hungry people these companies cater to? To most of the public fuel economy still plays primary role. they try and balance the 2 and try and give the best package.
their primary target are the masses and not just the Bhpians.
What they want if the best overall package for all to maximize their sales/profits.
Old 30th December 2008, 17:20   #250
BHPian

I can't understand why most people are complaining about the engine, without driving the car
Old 30th December 2008, 18:19   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I guess there would've been a lot less cribs if it werent a Hyundai.

The price is on the higher side if you look at it as just a large hatchback, but for the features it delivers I believe it is a fair price. Plus the fact that it is a Hyundai, which is basically excellent build quality and Toyota reliability at lower prices + SUPERB after-sales-service.
haha well said and you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayasurya View Post
I can't understand why most people are complaining about the engine, without driving the car
well i'm sure that i20 will have a different gear ratios. Most of the people, means janta will have a test ride for this. if they found the initial response to be good, they will say "IT IS A FAST CAR". if not then, oho! it is too slow no matter if the car responds at mid-range or higher-range rpms. City needs some good responsive car. I bet they had worked on the gear ratios to make it a much responsive car than i10 kappa.
Old 30th December 2008, 18:26   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Does this happen in spite of all the reach and rake adjustments it comes with?
Yes. The highest setting is still too low IMO but its really insignificant - Its not something one can't get used to.
Old 30th December 2008, 19:47   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine freak View Post
Why does every one keep forgetting that its not only the power hungry people these companies cater to? To most of the public fuel economy still plays primary role. they try and balance the 2 and try and give the best package.
their primary target are the masses and not just the Bhpians.
What they want if the best overall package for all to maximize their sales/profits.
Machine freak,
if you do not mind, may I present the "other side", strictly speaking for myself of course.

I am one who feels the car might be underpowered. there may well be others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine freak
Why does every one keep forgetting that its not only the power hungry people these companies cater to?
i feel the car is underpowered and i don't consider myself to be one of the "power hungry" ones. however, i do feel lack of adequate pulling power commensurate with the weight / dimensions of the car can be a disappointing or frustrating experience depending on the type of drive you are making. [read long highway drives for e.g., in my case]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine freak
To most of the public fuel economy still plays primary role. they try and balance the 2 and try and give the best package.
a 1200 cc engine along does not in any way guarantee fuel economy. if you are unhappy with the way the car pulls, you end up revving it more and driving it above its economical rpm band to stay at the speed you want. there goes your fuel economy right down the tubes.

a 1.6 will lazily make 80 or 90 kmph for e.g. whereas a 1.2 will be more stressed. read working harder, which transalates to poorer FE. i have personally driven and know two Palios, a 1.6 and a 1.2 which offer almost similar FE figures. the 1.2 guy moans that he would have been better off with the 1.6. at least he would have had the sheer driving pleasure.

now, how many of the non-power hungry people, non-bhpians are going to really understand that every engine has an economical power band, and one needs to stay there if I want to maximise my FE ?

because let me tell you, i've seen some idiots who buy 100cc Dawns and Splendors, for the mileage (because 150 cc bikes are guzzlers in their books) and then drive the bike to its screaming limits and then moan about the mileage.

Yeah...there are people like that. Lots more than you think. Lots and lots of people. Really. People who automatically assume that a 1.2 engined car HAS GOT TO BE fuel efficient. So step on the gas and let it rip.

and speaking about the balance you mentioned, i agree completely. i do believe the Maruti 800 is not underpowered. i think for its weight and dimensions, its adequately powered.

i do believe the i20 *might* be underpowered for stress free highway cruising. it will probably be fine in the city.

the whole problem is the defining of who is power hungry and how much power is adequate. its all relative i guess to :
1. the car you normally drive.
2. the speeds you normally do.
3. the kind of roads you drive in.
4. the kind of drives you make.
5. the kind of loading you normally have on your drive.

so i guess, it is fair for some to be apprehensive about the 1.2 engine. and, once real life driving reports are in, we'll know for sure. who knows, it might be a good car for the highways as well, as it does say 80 bhp. so lets see how the gear ratios and other factors contribute.

just sharing an opinion.

PEACE.
Old 30th December 2008, 23:55   #254
BHPian

Let us wait for a test drive

hi all,
Let one of us test drive the car thoroughly before complaining about the engine option.
In my opinion, Hyundai has not priced the product high if we consider its global presence. And the same cause assumes a better quality of the product. In the global market also,

i20 will definitely sell if the build quality is far better than swift (quality issues are well known for swifts, rt?). It might be better than Fabia, if we consider the ownership cost of both cars (i suppose).

Ford fusion was also overpriced at its launch, though it was a nice car. Let us wait for sometime to see the future engine options from Hyundai and sometimes these future models will be better VFM. Afterall they sold a lot of santros with a '10 year old price' in this year end.

i20 will find customers who need a fresh looking petrol hatch. And only God knows when FIAT is planning to launch the Grande Punto (which may be a better competition) in India.
Old 31st December 2008, 00:55   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
People who automatically assume that a 1.2 engined car HAS GOT TO BE fuel efficient.
Our government does which is why we have this funny policy about engine size.

I remember our former FM mentioning repeatedly when he made the duty cut (a couple of years ago?) that he wants to give concessions to small and fuel-efficient car makers.

Speaking of the i20 - Hyundai will come out with other engine options sooner or later. So people can pick and choose. But, given the current auto sector slowdown they might be cautious about launching too many variants in one go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks