Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 21:56   #211
BHPian

Hyundai has launched a "Feauture Rich" car, but I have one question in my mind.
Is it actually worth buying it now?
Reason - I10 was launched with 1.1 Irde Engine. Few months later 1.2Kappa was introduced and one of the models of i10 was discontinued. Also, people who bought at that time had lesser options (After 1.2 there are now 5 models of I10) and also with no discounts.
What I feel is that people will be hesitant towards buying I20 right now as a 1.4 engine is expected to be under the hood soon. What say?
Old 29th December 2008, 22:27   #212
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pricing.

80% at TBHP are happy with the pricing and specs. The rest would have been happy if they wasnt an i10 with 1.2L engine.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:30   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Extreme, it's irrelevant what they charge in the UK. My point was, now thanks to lower taxes we are getting good features in the segment. That deserves to be celebrated. The i20 is not priced wildly above other cars in its segment - is it? What matters to a buyer are equivalent prices in the same market not what it costs in another country.
And by your logic every MNC car company is robbing Indians. The Civic comes with four airbags and much better warranty in the US and Canada as standard. So does the Corolla. The basic Accord in the US costs what they charge for a Civic here. Let's not even talk about the Camry. I could go on and on. It's not a very productive exercise. Varying factors govern features and prices in different markets.
Actually there is no point in comparing the sale price of cars across countries as it is highly driven by tax/duty structure prevalent in respective places. In fact, the car manufacturers here get better margins when selling abroad than in India because of the lower duty/tax structure there. So nothing to blame them for selling the same or slightly better equipped car overseas within the same or even lesser price range.

Also the higher segment cars here are more expensive because of high import content which attracts even higher duty rates. No company can keep making undue profits for long time, especially in a competitive market like ours.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:32   #214
Senior - BHPian

The i20 looks good but I think they should have made it look a little sleeker.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:34   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
if you guys don't mind a silly Q.. does adding a turbo cost bomb and negate the advantage our tax structure gives? Would it make sense to add turbo to engines lesser than 1.2L and plonk them in cars like i20, aveo, GP etc. how adversely will it affect FE or any other things??
adding a turbo is an expensive exercise. additionally petrol cars are generally supercharged, not turbocharged.

while supercharging does increase power, the gains are available mostly at the higher band of the rpm range. it will usually be sluggish at the lower rpms. there is some power robbing by the supercharger itself at the lower rpms. so considering that these smaller cubic capacity engined cars are used relatively much more for city duties, at the lower rpms where it is most required, power delivery will be sluggish.

so unless built for a specific application, at first consideration, it does not seem practical to supercharge / turbocharge very small engines.

i'm sure some fellow members who are more well versed with the technicalities will come along and explain better.

Last edited by hell_rider : 29th December 2008 at 22:40.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:38   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Hyundai has launched a "Feauture Rich" car, but I have one question in my mind.
Is it actually worth buying it now?
Reason - I10 was launched with 1.1 Irde Engine. Few months later 1.2Kappa was introduced and one of the models of i10 was discontinued. Also, people who bought at that time had lesser options (After 1.2 there are now 5 models of I10) and also with no discounts.
What I feel is that people will be hesitant towards buying I20 right now as a 1.4 engine is expected to be under the hood soon. What say?

well dude with hatches its all a game of pricing! I am sure Hyundai would have definitely looked at possibility of 1.4 or 1.6l engine. But probably they couldnt bring it for a competitive enough price. I am not very sure of a 1.4l engine even in near future (unless there is a rethink over 1.2l engine - small car policy from the govt.) People wont buy costlier hatch over the likes of Dzire,Accent,Verna,Fiesta,etc.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:44   #217
BHPian

I notice that in UK the sale price of 1.2 liter comfort model (comparable to Asta here) is priced at about GBP 9,445 (~Rs 6,50,000) and the same with 1.4 liter engine is priced at GBP 9,945 (~Rs 6,89,000) and another GBP 500 for 1.4 CRDI. Based on this we can assume a 40k markup for 1.4 litre kappa engine plus another 40k for CRDI here.

Last edited by appuchan : 29th December 2008 at 22:49.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:48   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
So for you a car is just a tin box + an engine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Excellent pricing.

80% at TBHP are happy with the pricing and specs. The rest would have been happy if they wasnt an i10 with 1.2L engine.
I think some people will crib and cry at everything.. I think given nice to have and extensive features [option of 6 airbags, WOW], the i20 is priced decently and not astronomically.. Everyone may not be able to afford electrically retractable mirrors, audio mounted steering controls and 6 airbags. Some may not be able to afford a variant with 2 airbags..

Which is why Hyundai has given an option with 3 variants, starting from 4.8L ex-showroom, so interested parties can purchase what they can afford..

On a serious note, the govt need to quickly think and offer sops or subsidies to all automakers to make front dual airbags a standard kit on all models and variants of all 4 wheelers sold in India. Cars can be cheap; A life certainly isn't..
Old 29th December 2008, 22:57   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I notice that in UK the sale price of 1.2 liter comfort model (comparable to Asta here) is priced at about GBP 9,445 (~Rs 6,50,000) and the same with 1.4 liter engine is priced at GBP 9,945 (~Rs 6,89,000) and another GBP 500 for 1.4 CRDI. Based on this we can assume a 40k markup for 1.4 litre kappa engine plus another 40k for CRDI here.

Don't forget the extra excise to be paid in the case of 1.4 petrol - that itself will be an additional ~50k. You're looking at a much higher price then.

The CRDi should be 80-90k more than the petrol 1.2, since Hyundai knows that Indians are ready to pay a premium for diesel engined cars. (Verna CRDI case in point).
Old 29th December 2008, 23:01   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
well dude with hatches its all a game of pricing! I am sure Hyundai would have definitely looked at possibility of 1.4 or 1.6l engine. But probably they couldnt bring it for a competitive enough price. I am not very sure of a 1.4l engine even in near future (unless there is a rethink over 1.2l engine - small car policy from the govt.) People wont buy costlier hatch over the likes of Dzire,Accent,Verna,Fiesta,etc.
couldn't agree more! especially about what joslicx says about the Dzire.

also,
-> as regards to to the i10 1.1 -> 1.2 petrol, they could keep the price the same as there was no extra duty to be paid to the government.
-> they must have priced the i10 kappa Magna keeping in mind the i20 base model
-> unlike the Getz where they first introduced the 1.3 and then the 1.1, they wanted to have the i10 1.1 always available
-> going by the same logic, they should have called the base i20 model 'era', or delite. instead they have chosen the 'magna' moniker. that may mean there might be a stripped down 'era' or 'delite' later where some of the gizmos go away, and the engine remains the 1.2 kappa. that also could mean the 1.4 or 1.6 i20 could come in a 'sportz' variant.

my 2 cents!
Old 29th December 2008, 23:53   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I dont know why would you celebrate buying a car made in india for the world market but priced the same as well.
Do Hyundai give the same warranty as they do in UK? NO
Do they give you same safety features as 'standard'? NO
Do they have to pay salaries in pounds to their staff in India? NO
Do they have the same miscellaneous expenses as UK? NO

Then why is the car priced almost the same as in UK, its called robbing and I am not happy about it.
Which Auto company does that in India?? Why are we comparing UK options/features to India??

Diffrent countries, diffrent options..its followed world over. How is that specifically related to Hyundai??

Elito
Old 30th December 2008, 00:59   #222
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support: Posts merged. Please use the MULTI-QUOTE option to quote and reply to multiple posts. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Which Auto company does that in India?? Why are we comparing UK options/features to India??

Diffrent countries, diffrent options..its followed world over. How is that specifically related to Hyundai??

Elito
I think we are talking Hyundai here and I am on about it because the car is made in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I think some people will crib and cry at everything.. I think given nice to have and extensive features [option of 6 airbags, WOW], the i20 is priced decently and not astronomically..
Well everyone has a point of view and that the whole idea of being on a forum. If you think its nice, its 'you' not 'me' and you can never be 'me'. So I guess we can leave it at that and not crib about someone else's point of view and while we are at it lets not get personal under disguised attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Actually there is no point in comparing the sale price of cars across countries as it is highly driven by tax/duty structure prevalent in respective places. In fact, the car manufacturers here get better margins when selling abroad than in India because of the lower duty/tax structure there. So nothing to blame them for selling the same or slightly better equipped car overseas within the same or even lesser price range.

Also the higher segment cars here are more expensive because of high import content which attracts even higher duty rates. No company can keep making undue profits for long time, especially in a competitive market like ours.
Well I see that you already own two Hyundai's but anyway. Can you please enlighten us on the tax structure for both countries?

Last edited by aah78 : 30th December 2008 at 01:22. Reason: Posts merged. See note.
Old 30th December 2008, 01:16   #223
Senior - BHPian

I guess there would've been a lot less cribs if it werent a Hyundai.

The price is on the higher side if you look at it as just a large hatchback, but for the features it delivers I believe it is a fair price. Plus the fact that it is a Hyundai, which is basically excellent build quality and Toyota reliability at lower prices + SUPERB after-sales-service.
Old 30th December 2008, 01:55   #224
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has an idea when are the test drives starting?
Old 30th December 2008, 02:22   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Anyone has an idea when are the test drives starting?
And now that we have debated endlessly about the product, can we now have information about test drives/deliveries etc etc ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks