Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2016, 06:23   #1936
BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!

Hello Friends

I am writing on behalf of a friend who just bought a Skoda Octavia.
While booking the car we had specifically asked for a break up of the mentioned 'Registration charge' (Including service charges). The amount mentioned on the price list is/was approx 2.40 Lakhs. We were replied that the service charge will be Rs.7500 and rest will be the actual registration charge taken by the RTO. To our surprise the RTO receipt says registration charge as approx 1.90 Lakh. So even if we take into account the 7500 charged by them as service for the registration still we paid Rs.40000 extra for no reason.

I would request TeamBHPians to help me fight this battle.
Old 9th April 2016, 11:40   #1937
BANNED

Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!

As mentioned in this thread, the Skoda deals seem to be souring in several instances, once the VIN is asked for. It would be interesting to know from the experience of others if a similar trend is observed with any of the other mfrs also (Hyundai, Honda, Maruti, M&M, Tata, GM, FIAT and others) - that the VIN is a sensitive issue at the time of booking.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 23:51   #1938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
....The amount mentioned on the price list is/was approx 2.40 Lakhs. We were replied that the service charge will be Rs.7500 and rest will be the actual registration charge taken by the RTO. To our surprise the RTO receipt says registration charge as approx 1.90 Lakh. So even if we take into account the 7500 charged by them as service for the registration still we paid Rs.40000 extra for no reason.

I think the first step is to document this and send a mail to the dealership. And if that's already done, connect with the RTO and file a complaint may be? Taking the legal route is very tiresome and time consuming; you might want to explore the other routes first and see if it resolves.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 03:50   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends
the RTO receipt says registration charge as approx 1.90 Lakh. So even if we take into account the 7500 charged by them as service for the registration still we paid Rs.40000 extra for no reason.
What about insurance. did your friend get it from outside or from the dealer. If from the dealer then they can charge up to 3 times of the actual cost of insurance outside. What did the dealer say when your friend asked him about the 40k.
Old 10th April 2016, 15:16   #1940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
What about insurance. did your friend get it from outside or from the dealer. If from the dealer then they can charge up to 3 times of the actual cost of insurance outside. What did the dealer say when your friend asked him about the 40k.
There is something as 'Skoda shield' offered by Skoda. It covers insurance which is a zero depreciation policy and an extended warranty for 3rd and 4th year. Basically after checking the insurance premium from our agent we were paying Rs.40k more for the extended warranty which we choose to go for. As this was all clubbed in Skoda shield there was no question taking the insurance from outside.
For the extra 40k which they have taken more in the registration amount the counter argument is that we have given you a discount. We have got a 1 lakh discount. But my point is not that. My point and the similar question asked to the sales representative while booking the car was 'What is the actual amount that will go to the RTO for the registration of the car?' to which her reply was 'Rs 7500 is our service fee and rest amount will be the registration amount'. So the day we took the delivery we checked the receipt amount and their price list which differed by 40k.
Prash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 15:54   #1941
BHPian

Quote:
For the extra 40k which they have taken more in the registration amount the counter argument is that we have given you a discount. We have got a 1 lakh discount.
So they reduced the discount to 60k from 1 lakh. Unless your friend has a written quote from them mentioning the exact amount of discount i do not think he will get that 40k back. It is very easy to give money to someone and almost impossible to get it back unless you have the right contacts is the over or underworld.
dockap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 16:47   #1942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
So they reduced the discount to 60k from 1 lakh. Unless your friend has a written quote from them mentioning the exact amount of discount i do not think he will get that 40k back. It is very easy to give money to someone and almost impossible to get it back unless you have the right contacts is the over or underworld.
We have got the money in a manner of discount. But i am sure so many people are looted this way. I think there should be something done by all of us to stop this practice.
Prash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 22:01   #1943
BANNED

Quote:
Hello Friends

I am writing on behalf of a friend who just bought a Skoda Octavia.
While booking the car we had specifically asked for a break up of the mentioned 'Registration charge' (Including service charges). The amount mentioned on the price list is/was approx 2.40 Lakhs. We were replied that the service charge will be Rs.7500 and rest will be the actual registration charge taken by the RTO. To our surprise the RTO receipt says registration charge as approx 1.90 Lakh. So even if we take into account the 7500 charged by them as service for the registration still we paid Rs.40000 extra for no reason.

Wow, This just caught my attention ! This looks like a huge scam that ALL Skoda dealers are practicing . In fact I have been a victim for a much bigger scam which includes such a practice as well, You can read the entire story from here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...lar-rapid.html
All that i can say is with every passing day and the more and more time that i spend on team-BHP i come across such Skoda Scams and it does boil my blood to just go all out against skoda and make them pack their bags from India !
Please do get in touch with me and I can suggest you what I have been doing against my Skoda dealer. Incase if you have got a solution then please do update the same on this thread.
SuhasManjunath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 11:07   #1944
BHPian

Does Indian law permit a class action lawsuit? I'd definitely think that all Skoda owners should get together and put up a lawsuit against Skoda. Their arrogance is just a bit too much to bear and god knows why they are being let go scot-free.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 14:59   #1945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Does Indian law permit a class action lawsuit?
I think this has been discussed before and the answer is no.

Quote:
I'd definitely think that all Skoda owners should get together and put up a lawsuit against Skoda. Their arrogance is just a bit too much to bear and god knows why they are being let go scot-free.
Anyway, the concept would fail because all Skoda owners have not suffered in the same way.
Old 26th October 2017, 15:23   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Anyway, the concept would fail because all Skoda owners have not suffered in the same way.
I was hoping that we had made progress what with the ministers / politicians making some noise about it. Guess we haven't.

I am not sure it has be a all or nothing approach. If there are precedents formed by a company that repeatedly tries to slyly pass on a defective product or service to a subset of customers, every customer including the ones who would want to purchase the product, can be eligible to protest. I would only hope Skoda learns their lessons quick enough before something big hits them hard. Another example could be the diesel-gate. Every customer who bought their cars with the 1.6 pretty much is affected. Why would the government and courts not rule against VAG for an inferior product?

Anyway, I guess we are just mute spectators to this unfolding series of events.
Old 26th October 2017, 16:16   #1947
BHPian

Quote:
Does Indian law permit a class action lawsuit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Quote:
I was hoping that we had made progress what with the ministers / politicians making some noise about it. Guess we haven't.
Area of expertise, so allow me to dwell on this a bit.

Class action suits are predominantly a US phenomenon, whereby a large number of people, who have suffered a loss or been injured by a person, in the same way, can collectively sue such person. Rather than traditional manner of each person filing his/her own suit. I think this much is clear to everyone who has heard the term 'class action suit'. However,an oft ignored aspect (which is relevant for this discussion) is that the collective set of parties should have been injured 'in the same way'. In other words, a group of people cannot sue another person if each of them have a different grievance against that person, as a class action. Accordingly, even if we were in the USA, we cannot bring a class action against Skoda/VW for these otherwise independent complaints which have their own facts, allegations and eventual loss/injury. However, we could have sued Skoda/VW in a class action for, say, a 'dieselgate', because we would have all suffered the same loss/injury.

The above is the key difference. In addition, your understanding is correct that class action has not been introduced in India the way it is practiced in the US, but a sub-set has been. Basically, in the US class action is available to consumers, investors and their uncle. As long as it meets the test stated above. In India, the new Companies Act has provided for class action suit by the shareholders of a company (subject to certain thresholds being met). So essentially, if Skoda was an Indian company [need to check on its legal status], 10% of its shareholders could get together and sue for mismanagement in the company. [Latter is the easy part, leave it to a lawyer to identify what can be construed as 'mismanagement', difficult part is to get 10% shareholders together in a private set up].

I know OT, but hope it clarified the above.

Last edited by Vitalstatistiks : 26th October 2017 at 16:17.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 21:41   #1948
BHPian

Thank you! You've explained it very well.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 09:53   #1949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
So essentially, if Skoda was an Indian company [need to check on its legal status], 10% of its shareholders could get together and sue for mismanagement in the company. [Latter is the easy part, leave it to a lawyer to identify what can be construed as 'mismanagement', difficult part is to get 10% shareholders together in a private set up].
Thanks for the detailed explanation! In the US, did VW pay the fine due to a class action suit or it was a fine levied by the government? If it is the latter, then we have a long way to go in India before we get preventive amounts levied as fines.

I am just curious about the 10% part. Would that be 10% of the number of shareholders? Or shareholders that own a 10% stake in the company?
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 12:13   #1950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I am just curious about the 10% part. Would that be 10% of the number of shareholders? Or shareholders that own a 10% stake in the company?
It will be shareholders owning 10% stake of the company.
JohnyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks