Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which cheapest car is your choice?
Maruti 800 DX 162 45.51%
Tata Nano LX 194 54.49%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 16:32   #106
BHPian

you need to sit in the Nano and see the leg room at the front and back. cant compare it with the tiny 800.
Old 3rd January 2010, 16:48   #107
BHPian

To people who do not believe in Nano, Please sit in the nano and then comment. It is very spacious and airy. From outside looks trendy and upmarket.

Some people doubt about its speed. Once I had a hard time chasing a nano on highway. It is way more faster than required speed on Indian Roads. Most people despite owning a powerful cars think that 100 KMPH is the limit.
Old 3rd January 2010, 17:32   #108
BHPian

My vote goes for M800 anyday. Reason behind it is that it can serve you both in the city and the highways. Leg space is something which I like a lt in nano when compard to M800 but overall I would pick an M800 anyday any time.
Old 3rd January 2010, 18:10   #109
Senior - BHPian

My vote is for the nano over the 800. The 800 is a deathtrap and is way beyond it's sell by date aesthetically and technologically. The nano is ugly but beautiful and ugly both attract equal attention, like Good and Evil, so it's not a bad thing. Atleast , the nano is a technologically current product and i'm sure once the teething problems are sorted out, will be around for a while.
Old 3rd January 2010, 18:31   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
My vote is for the nano over the 800. The 800 is a deathtrap and is way beyond it's sell by date aesthetically and technologically. The nano is ugly but beautiful and ugly both attract equal attention, like Good and Evil, so it's not a bad thing. Atleast , the nano is a technologically current product and i'm sure once the teething problems are sorted out, will be around for a while.
well 800 is a 20 year+ model compare the current generation of the 800 the A star with the nano then see the difference.
its like comparing mule to a steed (segment wise )
all though the 800 has aged well it has never been unsafe for driving on highways or any road. Nano on the other hand will not go over 105 and drive above 90 for 20 + mins expect the radiator to heat up. Not to mention the usual tata behavior(poor qc,niggles ,rattles etc)

Last edited by vinaydas : 3rd January 2010 at 18:36.
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:38   #111
Senior - BHPian

@ vinaydas

Agreed, considering how cramped the interiors are, the 800 is like sitting on a mule or rather in it. Comparitively the Nano despite costing much lesser is far more spacious, more than even the Alto in fact.
To feel safe in an 800 what u need to do is keep a palm on the hand and keep chanting 'Aall is well'
One can fool the heart but not the brain, by virtue of its quarter of a century old design the 800 is not safe, not by todays standards. The car has done stellar service to the nation but is long overdue retirement.
Lastly, all radiators heat up after 20 mins of driving especially at whatever top speed they achieve, suprise suprise thats the purpose of a radiator, try noticing it the next time u see a car.
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:52   #112
BHPian

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
@ vinaydas

Agreed, considering how cramped the interiors are, the 800 is like sitting on a mule or rather in it. Comparitively the Nano despite costing much lesser is far more spacious, more than even the Alto in fact.
To feel safe in an 800 what u need to do is keep a palm on the hand and keep chanting 'Aall is well'
One can fool the heart but not the brain, by virtue of its quarter of a century old design the 800 is not safe, not by todays standards. The car has done stellar service to the nation but is long overdue retirement.
Lastly, all radiators heat up after 20 mins of driving especially at whatever top speed they achieve, suprise suprise thats the purpose of a radiator, try noticing it the next time u see a car.
I have sat in all the Three cars that you have mentioned above & to your shock, you will find them more spacious than even some bigger cars. The 800 seats many people well(not that overloading is advised). The Nano is quiet spacious.

The 800 might not be the safest car at all but many cars would not survive a high speed crash anyway.

I am sorry to disappoint you but the Radiator does not get hot after 20 minutes of High Speed Driving only. Some of the cars with Bigger Engines have to worry about their Fuel Tanks getting empty after 20 minutes of Flat Out Driving(Mclaren SLR tank gets empty after 17 minutes of Flat Out Driving only).

Last edited by supercars : 3rd January 2010 at 23:53. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:57   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
I have sat in all the Three cars that you have mentioned above & to your shock, you will find them more spacious than even some bigger cars. The 800 seats many people well(not that overloading is advised). The Nano is quiet spacious.

The 800 might not be the safest car at all but many cars would not survive a high speed crash anyway.
I think the key concept is relative space and safety. The Nano is certainly more spacious than an 800 and hence, more comfortable. The Nano's main problem is the lack of any boot space. Passenger space is definitely a quantum leap over the 800.

Again, when it comes to safety, the Nano is newer and has gone through crash tests. It is safer than the 800 but we don't know where it figures in terms of an absolute safety test like the Euro NCAP crash test rating.
Old 4th January 2010, 07:58   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
My vote goes for M800 anyday. Reason behind it is that it can serve you both in the city and the highways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Nano on the other hand will not go over 105 and drive above 90 for 20 + mins expect the radiator to heat up. Not to mention the usual tata behavior(poor qc,niggles ,rattles etc)
For all the above quotes, check out Sam Kapasi's Mumbai to Delhi run in the Nano.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ive-delhi.html
Old 4th January 2010, 12:47   #115
Senior - BHPian

I my opinion comparing a 796cc (maruti 800) car with a 623cc (tata nano) car is absolutely unfair as in the field of highway comparison test and power, Maruti 800 still rules. Apart from this Tata Nano makes a lot of noise as compared to 800. (personal experience). 800 still has a decent boot space, easily reachable engine compartment and still looks like a car and not a snail (no offense meant). One thing on which Tata nano beats maruti 800 is the space it offers inside the cabin.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:10   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
This is one aspect we had not been discussing in this thread lately.

Tata Nano Lx- Rs.1,80,000 (approx) Delhi
Maruti 800 Ac-Rs.2,00,000 - 15000(disc.) = Rs.1,85,000 (approx) Delhi.

Both the cars have aircon, Nano has front power windows.

Now add Rs.8000 for power windows with Central Locking (autocop) and maruti 800 Ac costs around 1,90,000 (showroom)

Now for the difference:

Maruti 800 advantage:

Bigger wheels and wider tyres,
More than three times larger the Boot space,
Auto Levelling Front Headlamps
Disc Brakes upfront
Better stability due to larger wheel base and lower C of G
Better Performance.
Better After-sales Support
Cheaper Spares
Easier to access Boot And Engine
Proven Reliability
Twin Wipers
Glove box
Sun Visors

Nano Advantage

Body Coloured Bumpers
Tad Higher Fuel Economy
Better Crash Safety
Tad more space at rear, more headroom but an average Indian Measures around 5'7'' and so he will be as comfortable in an 800 as well.

While LHS ORVM for 800 costs Rs.40, the provision for fitting the same is not available for Nano, plus Getting the bumper painted costs. a mere Rs.1000 for the 800.
While one may install any sound system in an 800, music lovers will be dissapointed in the Nano as no arrangement has been made to accomodate the same.

Nano is a 4 door while 800 is a 5 door.
Further the front seats have been scluptured in a unique way in nano which allows for knee reccess for the rear passengers. However, in a rear end collision crash test it was found that the same was a big disadvantage for the safety of rear passengers.

So, net difference results into a mere Rs.15000 (approx). Still think nano is VFM and revolutionary?

In continuation with my views on the same topic in a different thread...

Okay, 800 AC for 1.85 lakhs OTR Bhopal.(after recent discounts) . Now that makes an interesting case for 800, especially when we have a handful of Nanos catching fire, couple of them on the drive home from showroom just after delivery.

800 is now discontinued in 13 cities and may soon disappear from the rest of the country but Nano doesn't really seem to become the next big thing. Certainly not as big as the 800. As an Indian am proud that the world is taking notice of the Nano, but as an enthusiasts am disappointed with the Nano. It has lots of space for passengers but no Boot space, a week engine, drums all around, awkward pedal position and many more flaws.

Sure, its cheap to buy and many may argue that as long as its cheap its fine but in my view, in order to stick to the awe associated with 1-lakh price tag TATA has managed to make a very 'cut-price' car. Haven't we seen so many 800s doing highway runs? Nano is even more dangerous out there than a 800. That high C of G makes the car sway in cross winds. With no power, its impossible to overtake. And the damn ECU cuts in rather abruptly.

Nano makes for a great second or even third car. A strict city car.
800 on the other hand can be taken to the highways with much lesser worries.

The comparison between 800 and Nano is NOT UNFAIR. True, 800 may have a bigger engine, boot space, disc brakes, low Centre of Gravity and all that but then it retails for a little over NANO CX money.

As a 1 lakh rupees car, Nano would had made some sense. But for 1.8 lakhs I'll like the Nano to be as good as the dated 800 in all the areas if not better than it.

TATA has done good work in marketing by the hype it created with the Rs.1 lakh car. But in that hype, not only did it manage to price it much more than the figure announced but also managed to get away with the shortcomings of the car. Because its priced low, its easier to get away. People don't complain because they feel that its a wonder that car is priced so cheap. Rather NANO just FEELS CHEAP and isn't really all that cheap to buy.

It would had been better if TATA would had announced a 2 lakh car with all the stuff that an Alto offers and then would had went bang on against the Alto.

It would had not created a hype/buzz like the Rs.1 lakh car did but it sure would had given its customers a lot more for their money.

The nano is a cut-price alternative to a Entry level hatchback. Looking beyond the hype, to me its merely a good city car and can be a worthy third car for many. Otherwise I fail to understand how Nano can be a Aam Junta's car. Neither the Aam Junta has 1.8 lakh to spend on a car and nor they need a car for city purpose only.

For nano money, one is still better off with a 800 AC/ sparingly used Alto as a first car. Atleast they'll get 'more car per car' if they avoid the Nano and go for the dated yet more capable options.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 14th June 2010 at 15:21.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:53   #117
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread.
I agree to whatever "YC.BALENO.CHD" said but still voted for Nano. Reasons?
1. Its a city car and is better then M800 to drive within the city.
2. Its still cheaper then M800.
3. FE and passenger space.
4. Looks cool as compared to M800. At least you get 'noticed' when you are in a Nano
5. Overall quality is better then the M800, I would say fit and finish is better then Indica!!
6. I'm not going to take it on Highway.

Having said that,
Nano would have been obvious choice if it was priced Rs.1L. IMO Tata could have instead build a M800 competitor, a car bettering M800 on just 3 factors i.e. Space, FE and Ride and rest all equal to M800, yes even the price.

Last edited by HammerHead : 14th June 2010 at 15:55.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:02   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Interesting thread.
I agree to whatever "YC.BALENO.CHD" said but still voted for Nano. Reasons?
1. Its a city car and is better then M800 to drive within the city.
2. Its still cheaper then M800.
3. FE and passenger space.
4. Looks cool as compared to M800. At least you get 'noticed' when you are in a Nano
5. Overall quality is better then the M800, I would say fit and finish is better then Indica!!
6. I'm not going to take it on Highway.

Agree on first 5 points. And your point no.6 justifies your decision to vote for a Nano.
Looks being subjective, Nano does look much fresher than the 800 but somehow its the height and small wheels that makes it less appealing to me.
I love those 'supercar like' vents for the engine at rear.

Quote:
Having said that,
Nano would have been obvious choice if it was priced Rs.1L. IMO Tata could have instead build a M800 competitor, a car bettering M800 on just 3 factors i.e. Space, FE and Ride and rest all equal to M800, yes even the price.

+100 to that.

regards.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:42   #119
BANNED

Voted to TATA Nano.

Simple Reasons:

1. Tata Nano is BS IV compliant. But, M800 is phased out.
2. Tata nano is like a 16 year old teenager and has immense opportunities to improve. M800 is like a 65 years old person, has achieved enough in his past, but doesn't have breath to hold any longer.
Old 14th June 2010, 17:03   #120
Senior - BHPian

While I adore Ratan Tata for what he has done, if I had to put my money down and can afford only one car, I'd go for the Maruti 800 eyes closed. The 800, although a 25 year old design, is still a more practical choice when compared to the Nano. Agreed the Nano looks cool and turns heads wherever you go (at least for now), but if had to go to the grocery store and carry home a 25 kg rice bag, the 800 makes much more sense. The legendary reliability of the Maruti 800 was not built in a day. I find cars costing many times over not being able to match the 800's reliability.

Contrary to what some people have mentioned on the thread, the M 800 was not phased out because the engine cannot meet Euro IV norms. If that were the case, the Alto would have been phased out as well. This itself speaks volumes about an engine designed about 3 decades ago. Maruti has decided that its no longer prudent to make investments in a product that is on its last leg. They have willfully decided not to upgrade the 800 and its product life cycle would come to an end when Euro IV norms kick in for the rest of the country, if not earlier. I have a 10 year old example in my house which cranks the same way she did when she first came home. I don't think there are too many manufacturers around that can match this claim.

Edit : I have nothing against Tata products, but if I had to put down my hard earned money to make a pick between these two, I'd opt for the M800.

Last edited by longhorn : 14th June 2010 at 17:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks