Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Petra 1.6 ELX or Baleno LXi ?
Petra 1.6 ELX 64 47.06%
Baleno LXi 72 52.94%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2005, 19:39   #121
BHPian

I'm probably quite late for this thread but to repeat myself ....

[quote]Quote:
Petra beats Baleno soundly in ride, safety.

In ride quality I'd say the Petra has the edge (If you want outstanding ride quality go for a 1.6 Adventure if you can find one now - It's even more composed than an Octavia on bad roads) but when it comes to throwing the car around corners, the baleno wins - As for safety , I suppose based on the NCAP tests , just about any car is safer than a Baleno in a frontal collision.

Interiors ? - Baleno's is merely bland and typical old Jap car style , Petra's is sub par and feels like something designed in a real hurry - It feels like something hurriedly jammed in place - even the adventure's dash isn't redeemed by the fake aluminium inserts.

Seats ? - Petra's are large and roomy , baleno's snug - they hold you tight - which i prefer.

The rear seats ....okay in both though the baleno's feel more relaxing and easier to lie back in - ingress is harder though

Looks ? - The Baleno beats the petra anyday, even with those slapped on like stickers taillights - the high side wedge gives it a muscular look - put in 14" or 15" alloys and you got a winner - If youre particular to spoilers (i hate em though), a petra looks kinda silly and fat arsed with one, the baleno looks sporty. - The only grouse I have with the baleno's looks are the chrome frames around the windows and teh chrome front grill - i would have preferred a black mesh grille (btw, does anyone have pics of baleno's with different grilles ?)

Service, Reliability - I find the Fiat to be as reliable - but as our adventure was built in better times and even then had a better build quality than the sienas/palios , i cant comment on the petra - we've had some electronic part changed (dunno what it was - i dont drive it ) - cost us 4K , and the power steeering resporvoir somehow decides to empty it's contents mysteriously on long drives - no leaks can be found . While my baleno is giving some intermittent trouble with the gearbox , if it can match my old esteem in reliability eventually , I'll be happy.

(I'd trust my 96 esteem for a long trip over our 02 adventure in terms of peace of mind)

Buying experience ? The dealers - Vivek Auto and a certain salesman by the name of Prashant Vyas are a bunch of cheats and thieves..never will i have anything to do with them - may they rot in hell. No wonder Fiat is in trouble - great practical cars but their dealers ???

Overall feel - the Baleno feels more agile, sporty and amazing on the highway and in heavy traffic with that low down torque . The Fiat also has a torquey engine but while the car doesnt fit like a glove - I dont feel comfy driving them - with th eesteem/baleno , i feel one with the car - the Fiat however makes you feel safe with it's solid heavy build.

overall , both are great cars...... but my recommendation would be on the Baleno.
or a NHC - it's actually a very decent and extremely practical car - though my friend feels it's handling and high speed braking stability are highly suspect.

zaphod
QUOTE]

just sit in the cars and take the one which feels better to you - and check out the adventure as well - the ride is far above both the petra's or baleno's - you can hardly feel anything from the road - very well dampened.

so my advice would be adventure>baleno>petra.

zaphod
Old 25th July 2005, 21:54   #122
BHPian

A damn good post from the most qualified - the one who owns them both!!!

I havent realy posted on the pro's & cons here, as i havent driven a petra!
Have only posted to refute any points on the baleno, that i may not hv agreeed with!!
Old 27th July 2005, 16:24   #123
BHPian

Quote:
I get around 12 kmpl in Baleno with AC generally on most of the time. But the service guy told me that my car is pretty new (1000 KM only) and the limeage can go up to 15 kmpl if my driving is restrained...dont believe him but remember an old ACI/Overdrive study where owners reported 13.1 kmpl...
However, the mileage depands on how is one driving....a baleno owner...friend of mine claims that he gets 13-14 when he is driving and 10.5-11.5 when his driver drives the car. I have muyslef seen the mileage of my Uno 1.2 vary betweem 11.5 to 14.5 depending on how I have driven the car...and between 14.5 (when you really give it the stick) and 20.2 (Use AC only if about to get a sunstroke and tie a hydogen baloon to your right foot) .
Dont know much about engine durability though....have seem esteem engines clock over 2 lacs without rebores...was told the Baleno will be similar...any comments from anyone...?
Thanks Buffetfan and others for the replies. It was tough deciding on the sedan and i had almost gone with the NHC..

But yesterday finally got a swanking new Black Baleno Lxi .. *excited*!

And it does seem so cool to drive compared to the swift!
Old 27th July 2005, 17:23   #124
BHPian

Congrats ImJimmy. I also bought a New Baleno previous week (after much survey and asking questions about Baleno and NHC) and I'm most satisfied. Don't bother to put a spoiler or power antenna as it looks beautiful as it is.
Just add wheel caps and a good stereo (I chose Sony) and the car looks smashing.

Happy Driving. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...............

By the way, my Baleno is Pearl Silver.

Last edited by shobhit15 : 27th July 2005 at 17:27.
Old 27th July 2005, 17:46   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats ImJimmy. I also bought a New Baleno previous week (after much survey and asking questions about Baleno and NHC) and I'm most satisfied. Don't bother to put a spoiler or power antenna as it looks beautiful as it is.
Just add wheel caps and a good stereo (I chose Sony) and the car looks smashing.

Happy Driving. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...............
Thanks shobhit.. I'm already in love with the car. I can putter around in the city in the 3rd gear all day!! And even at 20Km in the fifth the engine picks up -no knocking at all! Am i glad i did not go for the NHC..I saved some cash and got this beauty

I got Wheel caps already.I'm planning to go for a CD/MP3 player this weekend.Dunno much about the brands.But i will keep Sony in mind..Need some time on hand for that. So it'll be on Saturday which is free.

BTW did you put in any new tyres in lieu of the Stock 165/80 R13 Bridgestones?
My Dad (or the driver) will be on the wheel so Ride is important. Handling won't matter unless i drive.

So before changing tyres i'm just a little concerned about what the new tyres could do to the ride and the FE. The latter is important too coz it goes for about 50 Km or more per day.

Quote:
By the way, my Baleno is Pearl Silver.
The pearl silver is the most popular colour and needs lesser maintenance and the dealer was after me to get it. But i already have a Silver Swift and my heart was always aching for a black car

Last edited by imjimmy : 27th July 2005 at 17:49.
Old 27th July 2005, 18:02   #126
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I bought my Baleno in end june.It is in Black color......I have replaced original tyre and rims to 185/65 R 14 Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 Tubeless and alloy 14" rims the very next day. Yes the ride does become a bit firm but the handling is awesome...never loses grip...
My reported mileage is with these tyres...

If you want ride comfort and grip...move to 185/70 R 13..they will fit on existing rims and the upgrade should cost you anywhere between 5-7 k dependinng on the deal you cut for exchanging your current tyres.

If you want better looks and put alloys (bigger alloys look better and so will 14" compared to 13") .. and cornering performance..would advise 185/65 R 14 or 195/60 R 14...understand that the ride profile will keep getting worse as you keep reducing the profile.

For Best looks....gor for 195/55 R 15...I assume that ride comfort is not important to you here... :-)

Last edited by Buffetfan : 27th July 2005 at 18:05.
Old 27th July 2005, 18:03   #127
BHPian

Shobhit and Jimmy,

Great buy !!. Its a decision you wont regret !!

Yes, the baleno accerlerates (with a/c) from as low as 40kmph in 5th gear !!

Enjoy the car !
Old 27th July 2005, 18:51   #128
Senior - BHPian

Atlast the voting has come to 50% each for petra and Baleno. The guys have choosen Baleno & even my choice goes for the same.

Great buy guys. Congrats. Happy and safe driving.
Old 27th July 2005, 18:57   #129
DRC
BHPian

At this point exactly 50/50, If you buy either of them , you can't be wrong..

Why not buy both
Old 27th July 2005, 20:23   #130
Senior - BHPian

well i think i had the deciding vote....and of course it is the BALENO!!!

Last edited by iceman91 : 27th July 2005 at 20:24.
Old 28th July 2005, 10:32   #131
Senior - BHPian

@iceman,

seems someone else took away that deciding vote !

but honestly, it is a close call and given Fiats reputation I'd give more weightage to the Petra votes as they have given going against the Fiat negative bias .. ok ok pleeease don't react to that ! Just my opinion
Old 28th July 2005, 10:37   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy

BTW did you put in any new tyres in lieu of the Stock 165/80 R13 Bridgestones?
First I had decided to exchange the tyres with 185/70 R13. But now I have changed my mind. After all its additional 5-6 K and the company has provided with the stock tyres after much analysis and tests.

Also another minor difference is that by changing the tyres, you won't get 100% accurate report on the speedometer of the vehicle (although the difference is just 0.22%).
Old 28th July 2005, 10:45   #133
BHPian

Hey amit, I just equalled the score!

Between palio and swift i would go for the palio. But between the baleno and the petra i think the baleno is a better choice. Again a personal preference.

Last edited by Harrie : 28th July 2005 at 10:53.
Old 28th July 2005, 10:51   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit15
First I had decided to exchange the tyres with 185/70 R13. But now I have changed my mind. After all its additional 5-6 K and the company has provided with the stock tyres after much analysis and tests.
Ha, ha, ha. Analysis and Tests? They gave those tyres because it offers better FE at the cost of safety. If you want the car to be safer, move to fatter tyres.
Old 28th July 2005, 12:11   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

And now thanks to Harrie's vote, The Baleno is one up on the Petra.
Boy if a buyer looks up this site to solve his onfusion he is no doubt about to get even more confused
But guys,
we are veering a bit offtopic here and i have begun to see more ads for the Petra and adventure recently so maybe they are trying to make a come back.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks