Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 16:38   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
This looks like serious competition to dzire on the looks front
Why do manufacturers insist on adding a boot to a good looking hatch?
This looks far better then the Dzire, as far as your second comment goes the answer is "Because it sells", Dzire still has a waiting period of 4 months.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:45   #317
BHPian

I think it makes more business sense for VW to offer the 1.2 TSI rather than a 1.6L engine on the POLO. The reason being 1.2L fits in the excise duty benefit along with the dimensions of the car which is sub 4m - So a "Small Car". COupled are other benefits like a better mileage and quicker response, good torque.

It's only a matter of time that they introduce the engine here. My gut feeling is that VW is keeping the cards close to their heart at the moment.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:47   #318
Senior - BHPian

That rendering is sad.The wheelbase has been stretched too much and the boot is too stubby.It doesn't look very cohesive.The original Polo sedan will look a lot better than this.Like the Jetta does.It doesn't look like a "sedanized" Golf by any means.Same will happen with the Polo!
Old 19th November 2009, 16:50   #319
BHPian

so, supposedly a sub-4m length for the notchback too? to compete on pricing?
Old 22nd November 2009, 14:22   #320
BHPian

Any idea, what is length of VW polo?
Sizewise, is it comparable to Swift/Fabia or is it small like Alto/Spark?
In addition, its boot looks quite small for its length.
Old 22nd November 2009, 17:04   #321
Senior - BHPian

Polo has a length of 3970mm 20mm shorter than Fabia but comes with a wider track. Overall the car has the same legroom as the Fabia but the interior width is slighty more in Polo.
Old 26th November 2009, 17:45   #322
BHPian

I was travelling to pune on 22nd 09 November i saw around 5 to 6 polo all in white colour, being tested and all of them were without black covers. It looked decent from back first i thought it was fabia being taken for registration but later realized it was polo the build looked solid tried chasing them but they cruze through effortlessly. Could not take pictures as i was doing 90 + and my parents would not have allowed me to do so.
Old 26th November 2009, 18:28   #323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
That rendering is sad.The wheelbase has been stretched too much and the boot is too stubby.It doesn't look very cohesive.The original Polo sedan will look a lot better than this.Like the Jetta does.It doesn't look like a "sedanized" Golf by any means.Same will happen with the Polo!
I agree with you Ayan! The design doesn't cut it for me! The rear looks ungainly and it definitely looks like a boot slapped on a la the Swift Dzire and the Tata Indigo range (barring the CS).

Having said that, the Jetta gives me quite a similar impression. Even today, every time i set my eyes on a Jetta, the first thing that comes to my mind is 'Golf' and I have no idea why! I've never stayed outside the subcontinent but I still get that impression! Although the boot has been well integrated in the design of the Golf, it always comes across to me as a Golf! And mind you, I've seen more Jettas than Golfs in my 20 years of existence! Some cars are meant to be hatch-backs and some are meant to be sedans. Period.
Old 26th November 2009, 19:41   #324
BHPian

Come on guys, it doesn't look that bad. Comparing to Dzire is definitely an exaggeration. To my eyes it looks rather like the ANHC.
Old 26th November 2009, 22:25   #325
BHPian

Its a PS job and hence the odd fitting boot.Actually the real spy shots of the car undergoing test show a much better boot proportion.

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-vw_polo_sedan3.jpg
Old 27th November 2009, 21:52   #326
BHPian

Considering that VW plans to hold the VW Polo Cup in India starting next year, one would imagine (I'm being very optimistic here) that VW will need to produce a decently powerful car for this series.

The Polo cup held in Europe uses a 180PS version of the previous generation Polo (1.8L turbocharged engine, probably quite similar to the one in the Skoda Laura 1.8TSI). Can we at least hope for something with over 110PS?

Anybody got any scoop on the engines? The wait is killing me.
Old 1st December 2009, 11:34   #327
BHPian

"And the European Car of the Year 2010 is...

Newsflash: VW's Polo has won the European Car of the Year gong, it was announced today in Madrid. It beat 33 contenders, including six other finalists to the top motoring prize in Europe.

The Polo narrowly won with 347 points, putting to rights its trophy-free record in Car of the Year. The runner-up was the innovative Toyota iQ, 10 points behind with 337 points. The results in full are:

1st VW Polo, 347 points
2nd Toyota iQ, 337 points
3rd Vauxhall Astra, 221 points
4th Skoda Yeti, 158 points
5th Mercedes E-class, 155 points
6th Peugeot 3008, 144 points
7th Citroen C3 Picasso, 113 points"

All of this from Car Magazine (UK) : here is the source- And the European Car of the Year 2010 is... | Automotive & Motoring News | Car Magazine Online

What does it mean for us here? Nothing, I assume. Euro spec is already demonstrably miles ahead of India spec.
We will get what looks passably like Euro car of the year with lots of stickers attached on the rear windscreen.
Can anyone think of anything else that might come with this to justify buying the India version here??
Old 1st December 2009, 13:17   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
"And the European Car of the Year 2010 is...

Newsflash: VW's Polo has won the European Car of the Year gong, it was announced today in Madrid. It beat 33 contenders, including six other finalists to the top motoring prize in Europe.

The Polo narrowly won with 347 points, putting to rights its trophy-free record in Car of the Year. The runner-up was the innovative Toyota iQ, 10 points behind with 337 points. The results in full are:

1st VW Polo, 347 points
2nd Toyota iQ, 337 points
3rd Vauxhall Astra, 221 points
4th Skoda Yeti, 158 points
5th Mercedes E-class, 155 points
6th Peugeot 3008, 144 points
7th Citroen C3 Picasso, 113 points"

All of this from Car Magazine (UK) : here is the source- And the European Car of the Year 2010 is... | Automotive & Motoring News | Car Magazine Online

What does it mean for us here? Nothing, I assume. Euro spec is already demonstrably miles ahead of India spec.
We will get what looks passably like Euro car of the year with lots of stickers attached on the rear windscreen.
Can anyone think of anything else that might come with this to justify buying the India version here??
While I share some of your pessimism (we've obviously seen pictures of the Indian spec Polos), I still say VW should be held "innocent until proven guilty". Despite all the speculation, we might still get a high-end variant with many of the original features of the European version. Perhaps nobody has seen that version being tested. Or perhaps what we assumed was a European import (with German registration plates) is what VW plans to sell in India at the top of the range.

Its Dec 1st today, so we should find out in the next month what the Indian Polo is going to be like.
Old 1st December 2009, 16:21   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
I still say VW should be held "innocent until proven guilty". Despite all the speculation, we might still get a high-end variant with many of the original features of the European version.

Its Dec 1st today, so we should find out in the next month what the Indian Polo is going to be like.
I do share in your optimism and I really do think that the best way VW can make a HUGE impact on the indian car scene is to release the Polo as close to euro spec as possible in atleast one variant and price it as cheap as possible. And why not throw in that 1.2TSI+DSG for good measure and tax benefits?

While I am hopeful of this happening I do not expect this to be the case.

Like you i've thought that waiting for the launch at the AutoExpo will be the best thing to do.
So until the launch, this will be my last post on this thread

oh and a well done to the chaps at VW for winning the award.
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:46   #330
BHPian

Thats what i was always thinking. All i have heard/read from the VW is - 2 Petrol and 1 Diesel. And looking at our Tax Benefits, how will the 1.6L Petrol & Diesel be affected? Will there be a Duty which VW has to pay?

I am unclear on this aspect. Will we get 1.2 versions of all the Petrol/Diesel or 1.6 will be coming in with extra Tax? Anyone has a clarity in both the aspects, can you please help?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks