Old 29th October 2009, 02:44   #271
H2O
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
sorry if this is a repost

but here is a video that explains the 1.2 TSi in detail

YouTube - 1.2TSI Presentation

and here is a video that has the lovely exhaust note of the 1.2 TSi motor, its very intoxicating. Start watching after 4:00 minute mark.

YouTube - VW Polo - Driving Scenes (1.2 TSI Engine Sound)
Thanks pb10gagan for posting this informative video.
I am looking forward to the new Polo on the Indian Road
Old 29th October 2009, 20:14   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Based on current information, the only answer is... if its a new engine then it should easily be more powerful and more fuel efficient at the same time. However, if this is the same 1.6 currently doing duty in the Jetta then it will be inferior to the Palio 1.6 (at least in terms of performance).
How could you compare the performance of a Jetta and a Polo with the same motor? The same 1.6 in the Jetta may make it seem sluggish, but in the Polo, it could be quite different.
Old 29th October 2009, 20:57   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
How could you compare the performance of a Jetta and a Polo with the same motor? The same 1.6 in the Jetta may make it seem sluggish, but in the Polo, it could be quite different.
If you read the post, you will see that I was not trying to "compare the performance of a Jetta and a Polo". Certainly, there will be a difference due to the power to weight ratio that - all else being the same - will make the Polo 1.6 quicker than the Jetta 1.6. Actually, we were trying to compare the performance of the Palio 1.6 with the yet-to-be-launched Polo 1.6. What I said was that the Polo 1.6 will not be significantly quicker than the Palio 1.6 if it uses the same engine as in the Jetta 1.6 (which produces 100bhp, same as the Palio 1.6). However, if it is a new engine, there is a good chance that the Polo 1.6 will be a quicker car than the Palio 1.6, because modern engines usually get more power out of the same capacity.

The main complaint is that we dont want a new car with an old engine (like the Swift was/is).
Old 29th October 2009, 22:21   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However, if this is the same 1.6 currently doing duty in the Jetta then it will be inferior to the Palio 1.6 (at least in terms of performance).
Quote:
If you read the post, you will see that I was not trying to "compare the performance of a Jetta and a Polo". Certainly, there will be a difference due to the power to weight ratio that - all else being the same - will make the Polo 1.6 quicker than the Jetta 1.6. Actually, we were trying to compare the performance of the Palio 1.6 with the yet-to-be-launched Polo 1.6. What I said was that the Polo 1.6 will not be significantly quicker than the Palio 1.6 if it uses the same engine as in the Jetta 1.6 (which produces 100bhp, same as the Palio 1.6). However, if it is a new engine, there is a good chance that the Polo 1.6 will be a quicker car than the Palio 1.6, because modern engines usually get more power out of the same capacity.

The main complaint is that we dont want a new car with an old engine (like the Swift was/is).

I should have opted for a different choice of words there. What I meant to say is that the 1.6 motor in the Jetta might be sluggish in terms of performance but in the Polo it will be much better. So by saying that
Quote:
if this is the same 1.6 currently doing duty in the Jetta then it will be inferior to the Palio 1.6
you are effectively saying that there wouldn't be much difference. In any case you've cleared my point there. I agree with you on everything else.

OT: Oh, and the 'old engine' in the Swift is still a stonker of a motor by the way. It could give newer petrol powered cars a run for their money even today. And it's pretty fuel efficient too. I have the highest of praises for the G-B series motors from the Maruti's of yore. Particularly, the G13B in the Swift.
Old 1st November 2009, 03:43   #275
Senior - BHPian

Spotted in India again!

It has supposedly a new 1.4L petrol engine!

enjoy

EDIT: According to wiki, these are the specs:

"1.4 L, 4 cylinder petrol, 85 PS (63 kW; 84 hp); efficiency: 5.9 L/100 km (claimed) - Suitable for low grade petrol, optional 7-speed DSG"

4 cylinders sound good to me!

Last edited by anekho : 1st November 2009 at 03:54.
Old 1st November 2009, 13:53   #276
BHPian

^^
I'd take that 4 cyl 1.4 with a pinch of salt. Wait to see if it 'tuned' for India or not.
Wasnt this the one in the Fabia 1.4 MPI also ?
Old 2nd November 2009, 00:58   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
^^
I'd take that 4 cyl 1.4 with a pinch of salt. Wait to see if it 'tuned' for India or not.
Wasnt this the one in the Fabia 1.4 MPI also ?
no dude i think this might be the 1.4 85 hp engine. but i think this would be different engine. who know it could be 1.4 TSI.???
Old 2nd November 2009, 01:31   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
no dude i think this might be the 1.4 85 hp engine. but i think this would be different engine. who know it could be 1.4 TSI.???

Yup. According to wiki, it has 84 hp and is suitable for low grade fuel. Sounds like it's coming here

I seriously doubt they'd bring the 1.4 tsi, but we can always hope!
Old 2nd November 2009, 08:56   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
1.4 TSI ??
They aint even bringing the 1.2 TSI.

And looking at the price range we've been hearing, it does not even look remotely possible for TSI engines to be offered.
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:58   #280
BHPian

Where are the Engines made?

Looking at posts on different type of engines and their cost, would like to know whether VW imports its engines or they are manufactured in India? If they are manufactured in India, aren't we seeing a cost advantage here?
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:27   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Dont think so. Swift came and killed the Getz first.

The only cars that took a little of Swift sales away are/were I20 and I10.
Dont you think the vista deserves at least a passing mention here ... while the so call superior classes go on about ABS and EBD, the cattle classes are slowly making their way to VFM models such as the Indica Vista
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:55   #282
Senior - BHPian

Wait a min.!! From where did the 1.4 l petrol come from?? If you see in the Motoriods Polo spy video even Fabia is spotted with temp. registration.
ACI had claimed Polo would come with

Petrol :-

1.2 l ( Fabia engine tuned a lil bit more for FE)
1.6l ( Next gen engine , more advanced than that in Jetta)

Diesel:-

1.2 TDI
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:58   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOVATOR View Post
Dont you think the vista deserves at least a passing mention here ... while the so call superior classes go on about ABS and EBD, the cattle classes are slowly making their way to VFM models such as the Indica Vista
watch it - some holy cows might not take this lightly
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:09   #284
BHPian

If only......

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Thanks pb10gagan for posting this informative video.
I am looking forward to the new Polo on the Indian Road
It is rather unfortunate that there is a trend to stagger the release of different trims/engines in India, my Honda City is a wreck now and needs to be replaced, I just hope we can hold out another year to buy the 1.2TSI sedan. Having driven the 1.8TSI Laura, I just don't want to buy a non TSI engine now, brilliant performance :-)

cheers!
Old 4th November 2009, 18:23   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
To add to all of this, it sure looks like the head and tail light clusters only share the basic shape of the international edition of the polo.

The front turn signals seem to have been moved inboard, right up against the grill, instead of underneath the Audi-esque styling element. No sign of "smoked" lamps like some international versions.
Guess what, it seems the new Polo is offered with two different headlights, depending on selected options: the "Trendline" base version is fitted with H4 headlights. H7 dual headlights are installed starting with the "Comfortline".

So you can see what we are getting! Pic below illustrates this better, though even these seem to be smoked, unlike the mules running around the country here.

And these are the alloys we will get too. Ah, the joys of being perceived to be too cheap to afford better.
Attached Thumbnails
Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-vwpolo10.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks