Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 19:44   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
If you pretend this pic is not that of a VW, the interiors and plastics and fabric look like Maruti's! All of us expected a lot better from VW! But I guess this is what they can give when it's built to a price of 4.5.
Sure, the interiors do seem built to a (low) price. But if Hyundai can give us an i10 with its good interiors at a similar price, then why not VW? After all they have said that they want volumes with this car.
Old 24th September 2009, 20:56   #137
BHPian

Nice pics Tushky. Good job!

Cant say the same for VW though. This is a pale shadow of the 'real' VW Polo being sold in Europe.

Hate the beige. Hate the A/C knobs. Hate the plain looking headlights and tail-lights. Hate the shiny plastic. Hate the fake chrome interior door handle.

A 1.2 TSi engine could still save the day for me. But chances are looking pretty slim.

I was very much looking forward to the launch of the Polo. I was willing to pay up to 10L for this car. With all these disappointments, I'll probably be buying a Honda City very soon, unless Fiat can come out with their 1.4 T-Jet engine pronto!

2nd thought that just occured to me: How does VW think they're ever going to compete at the same price-point as the Swift/Punto/Figo/Indica-Vista. They're going to be sent marching home very soon with this distorted strategy. Meanwhile, the i20 and Jazz will walk all over the upper end of the segment that VW could so easily have ruled.

If the Germans keep going down this road I'll expect to see a Merc next year with steel wheels, drum brakes, and a little fan at the top of the A-pillar! (all in beige of course)

Last edited by theEnd : 24th September 2009 at 21:01. Reason: 2nd thought
Old 24th September 2009, 21:24   #138
BHPian

seems like maruti has set some serious standards for other manufacturers to follow. There is nothing VW in the car except for the label. fugly interiors. poor combination of beige, shiny black and chrome. why did VW leave out the only ingredient left -silver?
Old 24th September 2009, 21:34   #139
BHPian

I think VW in India wants to come down as a regular manufacturer and unlike other German manufacturers who want to place themselves as super luxury brand. They might be trying to portray Skoda as a luxury brand as the brand name is already associated with luxury cars. Makes sense if you see the way Fabia is priced and equipped.

It is awesome if they promise similar quality as the European ones. In the long run VW might be able to make more money than any other German brands. They still havent got enough public acceptance, but i guess its on the way.

About the design all German cars Age properly as some one pointed out. There are very little times when the car design entirely changes, Just a small new line here and there. They are known to Evolve. This was true until recently. Many German brands have rapidly advanced the design in recent days. They found very simple looks and high costs dont go together in the market.
Old 24th September 2009, 22:26   #140
BHPian

Instead of giving such low quality polo at 4.5, they can give some high quality one at least for 5.5! and there will be many takers for sure. I never excepted such worst quality interior from VW.

If they sell polo with such worst quality then they might not able sell Jetta or Passat,
Since customers of that segment will really have a doubt on their quality.
Old 24th September 2009, 22:33   #141
Senior - BHPian

With the clear headlamps its losing the look that we drool at ( smoky headlamps). The taillights are also reworked. I HOPE we get the smoky headlamps in the 1.2 TDI atleast !!! VW i hope you dont goof up with interiors and looks ( which you already have) . We want a proper hot hatch only
Old 24th September 2009, 22:46   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Pathetic! Shoddy quality!
This is not a VW anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
If you pretend this pic is not that of a VW, the interiors and plastics and fabric look like Maruti's! All of us expected a lot better from VW! But I guess this is what they can give when it's built to a price of 4.5.
Completely agree with the above statements!

For some reason, car manufacturers think that, all Indian people want is a cheap, shoddy piece of metal frame on wheels!

Do they even try to get the opinions of the consumer before building such a car!?

Anyways, if the top-end model looks like that after launch!(especially interiors)
I'd say Fail!
Old 25th September 2009, 00:29   #143
BHPian

Saw a red Polo in the afternoon near Sion Station LBS road going towards Kurla. The car was looking good. It had a red MH 14 number plate in front, LOGO & the Name was exposed.

I dont think they were road testing in mumbai. Either this to create a hype or launch is within next few days
Old 25th September 2009, 00:55   #144
BHPian

Now its all down to how disappointing the engine options will be. Worst case scenario they will use the antiquated 3-cyl 1.2 from the Fabia. Best case they've managed to get the 1.2 TSi to work on Indian petrol, and it still puts out at least 100 bhp. My dream is that they've brought in an older 1.4 TSi (probably only turbocharged, and not twincharged) that makes around 130 bhp, detuned to about 120 bhp for desi fuel.

Most likely its going to be the 1.4 petrol that was discontinued in the Fabia line-up.

And some noisy diesels of course.
Old 25th September 2009, 07:18   #145
BHPian

sad state of affairs - i wouldn't be as bothered about the shabby interiors as I would be about the mechanics- crappy engines, etc.
Old 25th September 2009, 07:52   #146
Team-BHP Support

And with all this VW has been wanting to launch Golf as well. God knows what they will do to it !
Old 25th September 2009, 10:55   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
i can see there is bucket on parcel tray. so the boot should be big.
As per the euro specification Polo it's 280L boot space, thats an acceptable boot space when compared with Swift.
Only Fabia has 300L boot space.
Old 25th September 2009, 10:59   #148
Senior - BHPian

I think its not right to comment on the "interior quality" on this workhorse prototype. This car may be having certain changes to the interiors in the production model, which may surprise us.
Old 25th September 2009, 12:10   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I think its not right to comment on the "interior quality" on this workhorse prototype. This car may be having certain changes to the interiors in the production model, which may surprise us.
Where is the surprise in all this? Even if the interior plastics are test-shot samples, with texturing to be added later ( which, going by the seeming plain-plastic look of the interiors, might be the case), anyone can see where this is going based on company statements and these spy pics.

The lamps sure look done, and they are long lead items, and will not change.

We know the engine plan is for the Fabia 1.2 3-pot petrol, with a new 1.2 CRDI, and possibly the Jetta's 1.6 petrol at the top end. TSI will not make it if Skoda is having issues with fuel quality and engine stalls, and neither will the old 1.4 petrol, because we know that is not even doing the duty in the Fabia anymore.

If VW really wants some positive early impressions, its time they covered up the insides if they are out testing what is not the final interiors. My feeling is that there is not much to cover up! And its time some auto major actually engages with the audience they expect to buy their cars and get some decent feedback.

Of course, our motoring press have done their job by getting a free drive of Euro spec versions in Sardinia, and then have nothing further to add by way of pressurizing the auto majors here into giving the Indian consumer a good deal. They could not care less when the car is launched either, because they drive Jettas and Passats as long termers, courtesy the same auto majors they do not want to rub the wrong way.

We are swamped by a sea of plain vanilla 1.3 diesels and 1.2 petrols from every manufacturer in town. If VW is hoping to compete with Maruti, and every manufacturer uses the same engines from Fiat, how are brands actually being differentiated, if even interiors boil down to a race to the bottom?

Can a Polo, which has a top end version retailing for close to 14 lakhs in Europe, have the same brand image here? Why call it a Polo at all? Its all hole, no mint! Why not a Fox, or some other cut rate brand they dish out to places like Brazil?

Are we saying that even having a full fledged Indian plant- from press shop to paint shop - is not enough to give us a matching spec at Indian prices? What is the plant for then? Why not import the Polo like every other CKD and knock it together here, at least no one will crib about being short changed on spec. I do not get it: I would have thought that if you are serious about India, you set up the plant, and then grit your teeth, price the product correctly, but give a decent product.
Old 25th September 2009, 12:39   #150
BHPian

There is a basic minimum cost to every product being sold . There may not be a market in India for a hatch costing 8 + if Honda with all its brand equity earned over last 11 yrs & proven resale , low maintenance etc. is not able to sell Jazz what makes people think that VW which has negligble brand value can sell a hatch above a price point of 5~ 6 Lacs . You get what you pay for .

Not so long away people used to think that small cars are for poor penny pinching Indians while rest of world gets to drive SUV's and sedans now whole world is coming to India to make & sell small cars . You never know in next few cheap interiors and bad plastic quality becomes the new global norm
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks