Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2010, 20:04   #31
BHPian

@ tsk1979 - Thanks I suppose the multitude of the purchases(chorus, Jag and Landrover acquisitions) and the launches(Prima, Do co mo, Nano etc) on TATA's part are starting to hit the cash strings.
Old 16th January 2010, 12:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

What happened to the safari caught testing pics of which are there on tbhp? That car is certainly not the one being shown at the autoexpo! That test car has a completely new front and who knows what else they have changed in there wonder what stopped them from launching that car???
Old 16th January 2010, 13:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
My Wish list for new Safari and I will upgrade to next Safari instantly if they are fulfilled.

7. Body steel sheet between front door and Wheel arch reduced by 1/4 inch so that no cutting business for up sizing Tyre. ( Mod already done on my vehicle to fit 7J alloy)

8. Engine guard plastic tucked in a bit ( 1/2 '' atleast ) and longer brake lines the turn radius can be easily reduced to 5.4 meters , in my Safari it is around 5.6 ~ 5.7 rather then 6 meter limited by engine guards and break line length.

11. Dove tail joint of grande for tail gate instead of current one ( Mod already done on my vehicle)
I did not understand point 8 of yours. Can you explain please?

Can you also post the pictures of mods mentioned in points 7 and 11 please? Must be a looker with those 17 inchers. Eager to see.

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 16th January 2010 at 13:16.
Old 16th January 2010, 13:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@indianchiefrsd, my indica is 7.5 years old and the the tata logo at the back has still not rusted. However, the safari logo on the safari rusted within 3 months, the new logo(under warranty) also rusted after 3-4 months. Many other safaries I see have rusted logos. I guess to cut costs, some cuts were made and poor quality product was used in the later batches.
21 Months old. All looks good in mine. Maybe its got to do with location. Can you post pix please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
What happened to the safari caught testing pics of which are there on tbhp? That car is certainly not the one being shown at the autoexpo! That test car has a completely new front and who knows what else they have changed in there wonder what stopped them from launching that car???
It was the Aria right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
I did not understand point 8 of yours. Can you explain please?

Can you also post the pictures of mods mentioned in points 7 and 11 please? Must be a looker with those 17 inchers. Eager to see.

BH.
It was his WISH LIST !
Old 16th January 2010, 14:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

It was the Aria right?
No. There were some pictures of the supposed New Safari which looked similar to the current one but was completely camouflaged.

Last edited by safari_lover : 16th January 2010 at 14:39.
Old 17th January 2010, 10:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

I think you folks are referring to the camouflaged picture that looked like the Safari was getting Land Rover styling cues.
Old 17th January 2010, 11:00   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

It was his WISH LIST !
@JKD,

I think he said he had already done the mod in his vehicle.

BH.
Old 17th January 2010, 17:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

There was a couple of camouflaged cars that was being tested along with the Aria, that had a SUV's silhouette rather than a MUV. These are pretty evident in the last lot of spyshots for the Aria. I dont think these were the 2010 Safari that Tata has launched now, cos why do they want to test the Safari for a few cosmetic upgrades and why camouflage it so heavily.
I suspect a heavy revamp or an all new model, the only reason its been delayed is perhaps not to divert attention from the Aria.

I hope we haven't pissed of our regular scoopmasters Sid/Tushky with the impatience shown prior to the Aria launched. Any juicy info guys??
Old 17th January 2010, 17:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

the title should be changed to Tata safari 1998
because to my eyes minus the engine , i find absolutely no difference in the safari released about 12 years ago.
its about time tata re shapes the safari or it will end up like the ambassador.
Old 17th January 2010, 17:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

You got give one thing to Tata motors! The safari is about 12 yrs old and it still looks good as a 10-12 lakh SUV.
Old 17th January 2010, 20:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
You got give one thing to Tata motors! The safari is about 12 yrs old and it still looks good as a 10-12 lakh SUV.
but there are some 20 + year old vehicles with better stability and safety features.
Old 18th January 2010, 04:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

@ Vinaydas,

A 20 year old SUV at 10 lacs thats safer than the Safari, enlighten me here please.

The Safari is by far one of the best looking vehicles to come out of India and the fact that it still is, shows what a brilliant design it was in the first place. And today at sub 10 lacs even the MNCs would struggle to come up with an SUV package so good.
Old 18th January 2010, 05:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
but there are some 20 + year old vehicles with better stability and safety features.
Man, I wish I could know why you carry a chip on your shoulder against Tata Motors
Old 18th January 2010, 07:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
@ Vinaydas,

A 20 year old SUV at 10 lacs thats safer than the Safari, enlighten me here please.

The Safari is by far one of the best looking vehicles to come out of India and the fact that it still is, shows what a brilliant design it was in the first place. And today at sub 10 lacs even the MNCs would struggle to come up with an SUV package so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Man, I wish I could know why you carry a chip on your shoulder against Tata Motors
@Amartya cmon man a little constructive criticism wouldnt hurt any one.

@shortbread example current pajero(which basically is older than me), 80s lc's ,the good old Land rovers etc
even if you go right now and buy a second hand LC @10 lacs it will outlast the safari x3 and there was way more R&D involved .

I first of all am not against Tata but i dont like the way they function thats it.
they as an indian company have achieved a lot in a short time but they need to mature which comes only with age.
regarding the safari, they need to definitely get in a proper model change.
Not an excuse for a model change such as more chrome,new grill,new mirrors,spare tyre mount change etc.
Old 18th January 2010, 08:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

@ Vinaydas,

How the hell is an 80s Land Cruiser or Land Rover supposed to be safer and better than a new Safari. Rather than shouting out what u think is right, can you give absolutely any reason?!?
Would you have any idea what an 80s LC or LR looks like. The LC during the 80s had two different models the 60 series and the 70 series. Although in their heyday they were very good vehicles, nowadays they are thoroughly thoroughly outdated. Today most of them are rust buckets and its not easy to find one in decent condition in global markets let alone in India where these are personal imports. Land Rover hadn't introduced the Disco and the Defender although the worlds most capable off roader was really bad on it (still is). And with age, these cars are not bullet proof like you make them to be and their imported parts aren't cheap either. And for Christ sake how are these cars of a bygone era supposed to be safer than a Safari with ABS and Air Bags.
A Pajero with Airbags/ABS costs nearly twice as much as a Safari with Airbags/ABS/EBD. The Pajero, is a very capable car but its outdated 2.8 diesel makes it underpowered despite being overpriced. This compared to the 2.2 Dicor which has more power and even more torque.
And what defies any logic is that in your eyes the Safari is supposed to have outdated looks because it came out in 1998 but you advice people to instead go for a 20 year old Pajero or 30 year old LC/LR.
I know you have it against Tatas and dont know which carmaker or country u like best, dont care either. but if you are making a statement please follow it up with valid reasoning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks