Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2005, 17:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

i like all the companies...and hyundai is no exception...

hyundai really does make some great cars- tiburon and the WRC accent being two of my faves..

and as for their indian line up, the embera is their answer to all beings from mondeo to the vRS...has stonking performance,( yet to drive it , though- pretty soon...); and from what i've heard, the embera manual does 0-100 in a scorching 8.xx seconds..

suddenly, the slant-H seems ever so close to beating the v-H...
Old 12th October 2005, 17:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
and from what i've heard, the embera manual does 0-100 in a scorching 8.xx seconds..
Is that the 2.4 litre or the 3.3 litre V6?
Old 12th October 2005, 18:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeroid
Is that the 2.4 litre or the 3.3 litre V6?
2.4 litre in-line four vtvt...160 bhp and 22.9 kgm of torque...
Old 12th October 2005, 23:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Not to forget the Getz guys.. its no underperformer either... gives good stability at high speeds..
Old 13th October 2005, 00:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i've heard, the embera manual does 0-100 in a scorching 8.xx seconds..
exact figures by bsmotoring were

0-60 in 3.9secs
0-100 in 7.9secs
161bhp and 22.5 kgm torque..
Old 13th October 2005, 00:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

@dceite: Im pretty surprised at the turnaround...just a few months back you were against hyundai...but good to see the change...

Drifter
Old 13th October 2005, 01:12   #22
BHPian

Yes Hyundai has come a long way and since i ve driven tucson , i ve become a fan of hyundai and after having a short drive of the Embera , i am completly bowled over by Hyundai ....

And i wont hesitate to say that IMO Tucson and Embera are overall better cars than Cr-v and Accord ......

This really is an achievement for Hyundai , that they not only are competing with Honda but they do outrun Honda in many departments ..

But no matter what , i feel Hyundai is overpricing their cars lately .... No doubt they are making world class cars but they need to realise the fact that a majority of people(espically in india) will still go for other brands like Honda , Toyota cos of the Prestige these brands hold and the fact that Hyundai cars ve preety poor resale does not help them either ....

IMo , Hyundai should keep patience until and unless their brand is valued as high as others and for that they need to stop giving HUGE discounts when they are failed to achieve the expected sales target cos by doing that they are kinda cheating the existing customers and ruining their brand image ....
Old 13th October 2005, 01:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
exact figures by bsmotoring were

0-60 in 3.9secs
0-100 in 7.9secs
161bhp and 22.5 kgm torque..
Wonder what the 3.3 litre V6 will show on the timing charts then, except that it comes only with the Autobox. Maybe - just maybe - they will offer it with the 5 speed manual in India?
Old 13th October 2005, 02:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Same here.My opinions towards Hyundai has changed after driving the Embera.And trust me,its better than the Accord.Honda has realiability and class to its name which the Hyundai lacks.If only they get these two things under control.
Thier CRDi engines are simply mindblowing.Hyundai is certainly improving its quality and status.In about 5 years from now,it'll be listed as one of the top automobile manufacturers in the world undoubtebly.Way to go Hyundai!!!

X
Old 13th October 2005, 02:33   #25
BHPian

Hyundai sure is a great company, and is now coming up at a fast pace! very soon it might end up being the 2nd largest car manufacturer! it has a Value For Money car in all segments it caters! Getz is a great value for money, compared to the Icon and Accent and the NHC, as u get , if not more, then exactly the same amount of inside space compared to these other cars! feels just great, and for city use, best to have a car big from inside, but small from outside! and its just that!

The Tucson! well, many here think its over priced, think that it should not be priced similar to the CRV! well, IMHO... i think it could even do being priced a lakh more than the CRV! except the HONDA badge, everything else is a lot better with the Tucson! the engine, especially! where do u get a DIESEL in that price range! either u buy the age old Endeavour, which has a running cost equivalent to a petrol car, and sluggish like hell!!!! or u go buy the Terracan/X-Trail, both costing more than 22-23lk onroad! i bought the Tucson for exactly this reason! i wanted a DIESEL! In fact, now with the petrol prices soaring higher n higher, and my running being a good deal, thats just the choice for me, and i wouldnt mind paying a lakh extra for it than the CRV! (Unless CRV comes out in Diesel!)

Same thing goes with the Accord/Sonata/Camry thingy! just that the Sonata Crdi hasnt yet launched, but hte day it launches, its gonna be the best hit in that segment, by far!

and as someone had mentioned here, the Hyundai Coupe (now Tiburon) is also a fabulous car!

Working towards providing even more better Quality will make them go to the top! they still lack behind in Quality, when compared to a Honda.
Old 13th October 2005, 02:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

I dont see myself buying a hyundai until I get a getz at wagonR's price

or an accent fully loaded at base baleno's price.

or the elantra petrol fully loaded at base optras price.

a tucson at forester's price

I like their attempts but its still.......A hyundai
Old 13th October 2005, 11:35   #27
BHPian

I am surprised to learn that the general feeling was that hyundai was worse off than maruti and is only now improving.

I have always thought that the Indian car scene took a big leap foward twice -
- 1 when we got maruti and could say goodbye to the regime where only fiat/padmini and amby were available
- 2 when hyundai set up shop and let us have a look at quality which 800 and zen did NOT offer even at that time.

Yes, the perception was that hyundai is much worse than honda/toyota/even american companies. I agree there.

But in the Indian scene, it was always ahead of Maruti, IMHO.

I have had a Santro DX from 1999 and its really done well.
The only time it died down on me ever was this monsoon, when driving though heavily water logged areas of Gurgaon, water went into the starter circuit and the 'self' died. Needed to push start it and get it to the service station where the defective part was replaced and problem was fixed in a jiffy.
Old 13th October 2005, 12:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

With regards to Hyundai versus Maruti, I have always held Hyundai better. But to talk about them beating/almost beating Honda/Toyota et al I think is far fetched, for now atleast. All Honda has to do in India today is to lower the price of the NHC. Wonder how many C-segmenters will survive after that. Toyota and Honda are just not giving the Indian market their full attention. Yet. They can design a car for India, ground up from scratch and beat everyone hollow. That they are not doing so is very strange.

Will I want to buy a Hyundai car? No. I do not doubt that they make good cars, even if they are boring. But naah. Maybe for my wife.
Old 13th October 2005, 12:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Will I want to buy a Hyundai car? No. I do not doubt that they make good cars, even if they are boring. But naah. Maybe for my wife.
Not a bad idea - the better half will end up driving the better car!

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th October 2005 at 12:54.
Old 13th October 2005, 12:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Not a bad idea - the better half will end up driving the better car!
Better car? Well that is too subjective. LOL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks