Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2005, 02:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
@ RX & GTO: dyou know that 'thunk' can be literally created? My former CTO's 5-series had the same reassuring 'thunk' despite being made mostly out of aluminium...that car finally landed up in the scrapyard after his driver drove it into a streetlamp and the car nearly split into two...that was at pretty normal speeds on a rush-hour highway too.
That is cool. I didnt know it can be created. Just wondering how the heck did that Beemer managed to get 4 star NCAP, when it could not withstand such simple crash. I had seen accords split into pieces and Audis totalled, so this looks like one more of it.
Old 14th October 2005, 02:24   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Just wondering how the heck did that Beemer managed to get 4 star NCAP, when it could not withstand such simple crash. I had seen accords split into pieces and Audis totalled, so this looks like one more of it.
I'm not sure they run cars into thin, impact resistant concrete poles during the crash-tests. I think they do more of head-on crashes into walls and even the side impact stuff is done with large points of impact. Hitting a streetlamp side or head on is pretty much like throwing a bournvita tin against a knife, I guess.

But we digress...the point is that some manufacturers put extra effort into the 'feel' of things, even if it means manufacturing the feel - I couldnt understand how that aluminium door could give such a heavy thud at first. Pretty much like the Zippo lighter sound - very nice, isnt it?

FYI, the 'plastic' doors on my Smartie shut with a much more reassuring sound than that on the Maruti 800, which is at least made of some sort of steel.

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th October 2005 at 02:26.
Old 14th October 2005, 02:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FYI, the 'plastic' doors on my Smartie shut with a much more reassuring sound than that on the Maruti 800, which is at least made of some sort of steel.
May be also because they are actually far more safe than 800 :-) Just a thought!
Old 14th October 2005, 11:04   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am just used to that "thunk" , and miss that in most other cars. Before anyone flames me for this, I know, it can't be an evaluation criteria for judging any car.
Quote:
@ RX & GTO: dyou know that 'thunk' can be literally created? My former CTO's 5-series had the same reassuring 'thunk' despite being made mostly out of aluminium...that car finally landed up in the scrapyard after his driver drove it into a streetlamp and the car nearly split into two...that was at pretty normal speeds on a rush-hour highway too.
Well, not to place as much importance on the "thunk" as the overall build quality. Certain European cars just make you get addicted to that "plantedness" on the road and the feeling of solidity.

GTO
Old 14th October 2005, 11:15   #50
Team-BHP Support

My neighbors Type 1 OHC doors close with a decent "thunk" as well. Something I haven't seen on the Type 2 City's. Wierd...
Old 14th October 2005, 11:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
May be also because they are actually far more safe than 800 :-) Just a thought!
I'm sure the Smart's shell (called Tiridon or something like that) is strong than the M800 or for that matter most other cars on the road today, BUT the door is made of some kind of engineering plastic with just 2 metal sections across (probably to help it retain shape?)...I saw it when I opened up the door panels to extricate a coin that my son helpfully pushed through the window beading.

Lets get back to the topic, though.
Old 19th October 2005, 10:12   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

2,00,000!

Hyundai reaches another milestone....The Company ships 200,000th car from the Chennai Port.
Now that should be a good reason for the Sceptics to change their opinion on Hyundai.

Excerpt from the link given below,

"This is the fastest 200,000th export car roll-out by any manufacturer in India,'' he said. Mr. Subbu said that about half the company's exports went to markets like North America and Europe. "This reflected the quality standards of not only the car manufacturer but also components' makers in India,'' he pointed out."

Have a look at this link,

http://www.hindu.com/2005/10/19/stor...1903251900.htm

A Korean manufacturer is carrying Indian Component Makers Flag high in Europe! That's good news Guyz.

Also Hyundai is going to launch the Verna Sedan in the 3rd quarter of 2006.
Old 19th October 2005, 11:28   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I disagree...its BETTER than Maruti's. One actually feels happy going to the Hyundai service centre, because you know your car's going to be pampered and will come back looking and feeling like a million bucks.
Exactly, I own a Hyundai and a Maruti. In my experience Hyundai A.S.S is way ahead of Maruti. I feel my Santro gets better service than my Baleno.
Old 19th October 2005, 12:47   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Exactly, I own a Hyundai and a Maruti. In my experience Hyundai A.S.S is way ahead of Maruti. I feel my Santro gets better service than my Baleno.

I own an Esteem & a Getz for 6 years & 3 months respectively.Hyundai service is much better than Maruti's.
Old 19th October 2005, 16:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

We have a scheme for our employees for purchase of car. We have more hyundai's in our office & the guys using them were extremely happy with Hyundai after sales support. This has spread through word of mouth & 90% of the people prefer Hyundai products due to their excellent after sales support.

If Hyundai matches Maruti on the FE part to some extent, Iam sure Hyundai would be most pressing vendor to look at ( almost all of them see this as one of the negative)
Old 19th October 2005, 18:57   #56
BHPian

I always rate Santro more than Wagon-R. Santro stabiilty is amazing even though its a tall boy model. On sudden braking from high speed Santro will spin..turn 180 or 360 degree ..but it won't over turn. This shows its better design. I am comparing Santro's stability with Wagon-R, please don't compare it will Palio or Zen or Swift or Corsa and its a crap.
Old 19th October 2005, 19:07   #57
Senior - BHPian

Maruti's known for its after sales service purely on the basis of quantity. There is a MASS (Maruti Authorized Service Center) in almost every nook and corner of the country. But that doesnt mean that its quality service. And whatever experience i have had of MASS's, they are all about that only... jus "mass". Whereas i have heard pretty good things about hyundai's service centers.

By the way, been seeing this hyundai ad in the papers that says "why buy an 800cc when you can buy a santro?" .. or something like that.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 19th October 2005, 19:31   #58
BHPian

There was an article in the Hindu Business Line this Sunday - on how globally Hyundai is re-inventing itself. They are challenging themselves pretty hard..to be at par or even better than Toyota. Their new Sedans are getting rave reviews in the US Market.

India is a Case Study for Hyundai. They have also rolled out the 200,000th Export Model from India ( I think Atos)..which is the Santro Xing rebranded & sold in 48 countries..

So they are on the right track...
Old 19th October 2005, 19:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan
I always rate Santro more than Wagon-R. Santro stabiilty is amazing even though its a tall boy model. On sudden braking from high speed Santro will spin..turn 180 or 360 degree ..but it won't over turn. This shows its better design. I am comparing Santro's stability with Wagon-R, please don't compare it will Palio or Zen or Swift or Corsa and its a crap.

Sorry dude, as much as i am begining to like Hyundai, i wont make a statement even in my dreams that Santro is more Stable than WagonR. Get this right, Santro is as dangerous through the corners as the wagonR(if not more).. infact, the high speed stability of wagonR over Santro is one of the positives of WagonR.. drive both over 90, and you will know what i mean. The wagon is a better handler than the Santro even according to ACI,overdrive etc.
Old 19th October 2005, 20:43   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Dciete,
According to ACI, the santro is a better handler but the wagon rides better.
Waiting for the Elantra prices to drop.9L for the CRDi and you can put it up there with my faves.
Wonder when FIAT will learn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks