Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2005, 13:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Better car? Well that is too subjective. LOL
@TON - you dont have to take a tongue-in-cheek repartee so personally!
Old 13th October 2005, 13:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
@TON - you dont have to take a tongue-in-cheek repartee so personally!
The LOL at the end was meant to convey that it had not been taken personally.
Old 13th October 2005, 13:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

all things said n done, the problem with hyundai is it does NOT have an identity. except for the getz, every other vehicle faces a identity problem. the accent is just a vehicle. . it doesnt give you the feel . . .the love feel that a maruti is able to give you. the sonata is really facing a major identity problem, the older one was a copy of the jaguar n the current one is a copy of a audi + accord.
interior wise hyundai have been good, infact they have been pretty good on that field but the LOVE factor in that vehicle is missing.
Old 13th October 2005, 13:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

I had an oppurtunity to test drive the erlx or elrx or whatever it is some time ago (I am very bad in remembering acronyms anyway). There is no doubt that it is very peppy, infact it is peppier than my palio 1.2 easily. But I still felt there are some areas where it can be improved. For example, the placement of throttle pedal. It does not seem to be on the same plane as the other two pedals. Infact I was searching for the pedal at first . Also, some things like the placement of the indicator stalk should have been better. Atleast I had to move my hands temporarily off the steering to operate the stalk. I still think it is "ergonomically challenged". But it is a big improvement over its previous models.

I have no comments about the Getz as I have not driven it, nor have I sat in it. But I see Hyundai making positive strides and the effects are visible. I have to congrajulate them for having introduced the common rail diesel models when companies like Fiat, who are the pioneers themselves, seem to be shy of doing so quoting some absurd reasons.

But I am not really happy with the marketing stunts of Hyundai.

All in all, I guess they are doing pretty well. Atleast they are committed to Indian market and they send out a very positive signal.

But, will I buy a Hyundai? Not yet.

Last edited by deepakhon : 13th October 2005 at 13:21.
Old 13th October 2005, 13:34   #35
Team-BHP Support

Would I buy a Hyundai? Yes, but only if it is the Tuscon.

That's the only Hyundai that "appeals" to me at this time. Too bad I hardly see any of them on Mumbai roads, but seen quite a few in Delhi for some reason.

However, as a maker of reliable and efficient cars, they have done a good job and are the only company, joined by Tata ofcourse, to take the fight to Maruti.
Old 13th October 2005, 13:36   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But I still felt there are some areas where it can be improved. For example, the placement of throttle pedal. It does not seem to be on the same plane as the other two pedals. Infact I was searching for the pedal at first
This is an old grouse with the Santro, and I thought it had already been rectified. Guess I heard wrong.

GTO
Old 13th October 2005, 14:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Had a chance to try my hands on my friend's newly bought eRLX (XO?) yesterday. So, initial impression:
1) Finish / paint quality : Quite good and impressive. It looked really good in husky blue (which is far from blue though :-)).
2) Dashboard : Cheap plastics competing with Marutis. Heck, the much maligned Fiat plastics looks better. But then looks are subjective. Anyway, they should have Tacho at least in top end model.
3) Instrument Controls : sliding a/c controls are bit confusing and needed some time to get used to. Rotary dials would have been better. One thing I hated, is the location of rear power window switches. I wonder why does one need them in the middle of 2 seats, which you can't operate unless you bend down forward. Power window switches should be illuminated for easy access at nights.
4) Gear shift : It is good again. Not exactly precise and notchy like Palio, but not rubbery and uncertain like Indica. Clutch pedal is much easier to operate when compared with Palio.
4) I dearly missed that lovely door thunk :-(
5) I'll write more later on the acceleration, ride and handling.

He got it for 4.05L on road in Pune, which looks like a good bargain.
Old 13th October 2005, 14:46   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hahaha! Typical European car lover. Me and Robin have had a long talk over drinks on the same inclination toward European machinery. And our depreciating love toward Japanese cars.

GTO
Old 13th October 2005, 14:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The LOL at the end was meant to convey that it had not been taken personally.
My mistake, then - smileys are disabled unless I want to use them !

Quote:
One thing I hated, is the location of rear power window switches.I wonder why does one need them in the middle of 2 seats.
I agree. BTW, doesnt the Petra have them similarly located? I remember it was that way when I tested the Siena, because that was something I couldnt adjust to alongwith the very tiny footwell and pedals set too close for comfort.
Old 13th October 2005, 15:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
BTW, doesnt the Petra have them similarly located? I remember it was that way when I tested the Siena, because that was something I couldnt adjust to alongwith the very tiny footwell and pedals set too close for comfort.
Yes, it does, but for the driver's controls. For rear occupants, the controls are on the door trim and not in the middle. I don't know how can it be comfortable for rear passengers, when the controls are in the middle. You literally have to bend down to operate it.
Old 13th October 2005, 15:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
0-60 in 3.9secs
0-100 in 7.9secs
161bhp and 22.5 kgm torque..
whoopsie... i was quoting overdrive's figures when i quoted 161 bhp and 22.9 kgm torque...

yup, i read BS, and these are the figures quoted by them...i'm currently waiting for an ACI report...i'm going in for a test myself, soon...

0-100 in 7.9...wow..although seemingly optimistic, these are great numbers..maybe we'll see some souped up emberas this year at the drag- hopefully...

and as for the image of hyundai in india- wait for the tuscani (tiburon).... it's gonna be a hottie...a 2.7 litre V6 (sonata's grace) coupe, with a 5-speed manual; and if my sources are right- priced on this side of 15 lacs....
Old 13th October 2005, 20:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know exactly how you feel!

Quote:
but the LOVE factor in that vehicle is missing.
Even for a car lover like me, the Santro couldn't manage to evoke the possessiveness or feelings of love towards it. The Matiz did a better job at that then the Santro. Of course, the Palio is in a different league here. The S10 made me extremely passionate and possessive towards it. Among all the cars I had, the strongest feelings I had was for the Palio. But that was expected, after all it's Italian!

Whether i would buy a Hyundai? No, not yet at least.
Old 13th October 2005, 20:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Hahaha! Typical European car lover.
It was not on my mind, when I was checking out that car. In fact, I was more curious and positive due to good reports on eRLX. Now that you said it, I have to agree. I am just used to that "thunk" , and miss that in most other cars. Before anyone flames me for this, I know, it can't be an evaluation criteria for judging any car.
Old 13th October 2005, 22:55   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, i miss the love feeling in the new accord too. I mean, it is going to be tough to part with the old accord and Palio.
Hyundai's opinions have really changed and after reading this, I feel that they need to concentrate on improving their brand image now. The Tucson, Getz and Embera are my fav. Hyundai Vehicles but apart from the Tucson, none of them are for the enthusiast.Maybe for my mother but not for me.
Saw a black colour Embera today and trust me, it looked better then the Accord with it's ugly rear end and now boring front (It's looks have become very common and i have gotten tired of them)
Old 14th October 2005, 01:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
and as for the image of hyundai in india- wait for the tuscani (tiburon).... it's gonna be a hottie...a 2.7 litre V6 (sonata's grace) coupe, with a 5-speed manual; and if my sources are right- priced on this side of 15 lacs....
If the Embera is going to come with the 3.3 litre Lambda V6, they should plonk THAT 230 bhp stonker into the Tuscani/Tiburon/Coupe...I test drove the Sonata with that engine, and it felt quite supreme.

@ RX & GTO: dyou know that 'thunk' can be literally created? My former CTO's 5-series had the same reassuring 'thunk' despite being made mostly out of aluminium...that car finally landed up in the scrapyard after his driver drove it into a streetlamp and the car nearly split into two...that was at pretty normal speeds on a rush-hour highway too.

He asked for a car thats made of steel after that...

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th October 2005 at 01:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks