Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 20:03   #586
Senior - BHPian

Reviving this thread, any recent updates on this ?
Old 13th December 2009, 19:37   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Reviving this thread, any recent updates on this ?
Soon....very......soon.

In the meanwhile the car has been shifted to Concorde Motors, because Tatas No. 1 Dealer's Showroom and Workshop has shut down. The w/s looks haunted while the showroom has stripped down of all its Glory.

So long.....
Old 16th December 2009, 10:38   #588

I'm not sure if this is just a one-off case and Tata has been unaware of the situation. But, considering the outpour against the ASCs, what will Tata do when the country is flooded by Nanos?
Handling the service issues is an art they *have* to learn from Maruti and get their act together.
Who'll save the people's car maker when you piss your 'people' off?
Old 16th December 2009, 11:21   #589
Senior - BHPian

I guess unless you're the indian govt, Tata can make a sucker out of you, and get away with it
Old 16th December 2009, 14:53   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunroy View Post
Soon....very......soon.

In the meanwhile the car has been shifted to Concorde Motors, because Tatas No. 1 Dealer's Showroom and Workshop has shut down. The w/s looks haunted while the showroom has stripped down of all its Glory.

So long.....
Whaat?! It's been more than 3 years of mental trauma for you and still no justice yet. This is the height of it. Justice delayed is justice denied.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:55   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpn View Post
So many people here are dead against Tata, I own a petrol Tata for past 4 years, I am yet t face any major problem. Of course I had some niggling issues, but I found Tata Showroom & Tata Motors very co-operative and eager to help. I think there might be some kind of conspiracy by Japanese & Korean manufacturers to destroy our Indian businesses. Of course, Tata is still atleast 10 years behind in quality of foreign cars, but it is not as bad as people here scream about. There are many things better in Tata car compared to Jap cars. Jap cars are cramped and old M800, Zens, M1000, Gypsy, Omni were some of the most unsafe cars in the world. Tatas were the first to introduce crash tested cars in Indian market. After the intitial hicccups, Indica was not an outstanding car, but it served its purpose well. Indigo was the cheapest sedan, Esteem has disappeared but indigo is till around, the SPG (security of PM & Gandhi family) rely on Safari, Sumos howver people like to hate them are everywhere. so stop demeaning our Indian manufacturers. If not we who else will support it
Hi Arunpn,

I agree that we must support and encourage Indian auto makers. How to do that is debatable though.

I own a 2001 model Qualis. When I bought it I knew that I was not buying something of the latest vintage in looks or features. However, I must say 8 years and 150K kms since, I have no regrets. Why? I have never had a single problem other than routine maintenance to do with my vehicle. I do longish drives with a family of 5 excluding me. I am not very auto-knowledgeable and therefore knowing that I can drive, say B'lore-Poona, without having to worry about the vehicle's reliablity is something I would pay for! As far as I can judge, the driving experience with the vehicle is much the same as it was when my Qualis was in mint condition.

Somehow, even with the loaded features, Tata and M&M do not offer the same assurance. This thread is one justification. I would buy a Tata or M&M product, if they would offer reliability first and features as an add-on. In my opinion this is where our auto makers are missing a trick. Why else would a foreign manufactures get even a noticeable market share with a vehicle that is comparably higher priced and has less features?

Let me assume that there are several "technical" and statistical reasons why I should consider Tata or M&M today. However, I am nervous about being that person who receives that rare defective vehicle. Add to that concern, the after sales service reputation (such as Varunroy's experience) and it is not a comforting proposition.

For some strange reason, I am inclined to go with another Toyota vehicle when I decide to trade in my Qualis It is likely that there a quite a few people who agree with me since I am getting re-sale offers close to 45% of the original value of my vehicle!
Old 21st December 2009, 16:25   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpn View Post
... so stop demeaning our Indian manufacturers. If not we who else will support it
I believe, for instance, that government and govt-owned enterprises should have a policy of buying local product. Even as a foreigner (albeit resident in India), I would support more protection of local industry and agriculture in India's economic policy, rather than opening of arms to the "global economy", which I see as selling out.

All that is to give a context to making this one statement...

If a company has to rely on national feeling to sell its product, then it might as well give up and die.
Old 21st December 2009, 19:50   #593
BHPian

Maruti service is debatable

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubin_raheja View Post
Handling the service issues is an art they *have* to learn from Maruti and get their act together.

I beg to differ here. Its not that Maruti service is impeccable. Its only that their products are technically sound, their reliable quality is tried and tested. Believe me, if their quality was as bad the Tata's Cheap quality spare parts they would have been unable to handle the pressure, considering the number of vehicles that are in the market.

Tatas could follow the Marutis example, but then their products won't come cheap as they do now.

" Mehnga Roye Ek Bar, Sasta Roye Bar Bar " An old rustic saying....

God bless.....
Old 21st December 2009, 20:11   #594
BHPian

I am really shocked by this thread, I had really high regards for tata as it is a indian company giving foreign competition run for its money. But their ignorance toward this case is really annoying. They certainly cannot treat customers like this. My full support to the victims, no matter however nice and respectable tatas are, they should be brought to their knees for such cases.
Old 21st December 2009, 23:21   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
I am really shocked by this thread, I had really high regards for tata as it is a indian company giving foreign competition run for its money. But their ignorance toward this case is really annoying. They certainly cannot treat customers like this. My full support to the victims, no matter however nice and respectable tatas are, they should be brought to their knees for such cases.

Its these very respectable Industrial Houses who get away scot-free because of our legal system. They can afford to hire the best Lawyers in the trade to fight their cases and probably spend much more than what was legally claimed from them. I shudder to think about the time spent by Varun on this case, and that to a case which our senior Bhpn's thought was an open and shut case.

Any common man with the slightest knowledge about law would imagine that any New vehicle which has returned to workshop the very next day of its purchase and subsequently so many times repeatedly for the same problems, and further,which have been acknowledged by the manufacturer, deserves an outright replacement if not a full refund

Varun has been running around various Courts for so many years when this time should have been spent by him in enjoying his hard earned possession. I only hope, in the end, he gets whats is due to him.

I have also read somewhere, in this same thread that the whole affair would be settled in 6 months time. Now, I have come to realize as to why the vehicle was displayed at the Vahan Yatra Exhibition, instead of seeking relief from our legal system.

I personally feel that Varun has done us all a great favour by exposing his suffering an sharing his frustrations with us and in showing how Tata Motors has treated one of its most loyal and return Customer. Also grateful to TEAM BHP to put this up on its Forum.

Great Job Team-bhp.com

God bless.....
Old 22nd December 2009, 03:03   #596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer View Post
Its these very respectable Industrial Houses who get away scot-free because of our legal system. They can afford to hire the best Lawyers in the trade to fight their cases and probably spend much more than what was legally claimed from them.
True of many, if not most, places in the world.
Old 31st December 2009, 00:43   #597
BHPian

I was thinking about recommending a Tata Safari to my uncle, but now I'm going to ask him to get the Scorpio instead. Y'know, there should be some other choice than Safari or Scorpio when it comes to SUVs in that price range. Pity that Force Motors has such a good engine and chassis in their hands, but hasn't even considered a venture into that market.

Something is always lacking in the Indian manufacturers. Tata has comfort, performance and VFM, but are crappy on quality. Mahindra has quality (somewhat), performance and VFM but the ride is horrible (Even in the latest Scorp, yeah) and Force has great quality, VFM, reliable, really really ugly UVs.

I'm hoping that these are the teething years of our car industry. I mean the real industry, not the time under license Raj, spent rehashing post-WWII vehicles. Remember the 60s and 70s, when Japanese cars were laughing stocks for the rest of the world? Or the 80s, when Skoda was a joke and Daewoo and Hyundai were making ugly, badly built knockoffs of old Japanese and European cars? But those companies were able to grow, and make their own place in the world because they worked at it. It was a slow process, but it was steady. One of the important factors that helped them grow was the fact that Koreans wouldn't buy anything but Korean cars.

Now, I'm not saying that we should ignore the quality issues and let Tata and other companies do what they like because of their origin. All I'm saying is, it's getting better all the time, and to completely avoid a company because of issues with the first passenger car models they've made is going too far. It's not like there is no improvement at all. The Indica has steadily improved over the years, and the Vista is far better in all respects. The Sumo and the Safari were also first attempts, and they too have come a long way. I have faith that their replacements will be miles ahead of the current crop.

Firstly, It's often the dealerships that let down the companies. And companies and dealerships are dependent on each other, and thus have to protect each other. Which result in the customer losing out. It's the dealership's fault for having let this issue come this far. They should have replaced whatever was necessary and resolved this a long time ago. Instead, they resorted to half-hearted quick-fix solutions, and dragged the company and itself into this very public dispute.

Secondly, I can't see this as a Tata-specific issue. The less said about Chevrolet the better. They're selling only because of the 3 year warranty. Or Fiat, or even Maruti sometimes. Even Honda dealers tried to swindle our guy GTO. Toyota is a benchmark, but then so are their prices/bills. I'd say that no manufacturer's dealer is immune. I'd conclude that it is mostly an Indian problem of greed and the 'chalta-hai' attitude, rather than a company-specific issue.

Tata should have better quality control in its factories, but even that could have been tolerated by many if the dealerships were a bit more accommodating. Bad quality and bad service is a bad combination. I haven't heard too many bad things about the dealers here in Tvm, but I'm still gonna sit out the Safari/Sumo innings and wait for the next SUV platform before I pick a Tata SUV. But I would definitely buy a Vista or a Manza, or even a Nano.
Old 31st December 2009, 01:09   #598
BHPian

THAT's the reason I walked straight into a TATA-Fiat showroom, TD the Linea and walked away without even noticing the Manza. They'd sold me crap foglights and central lock for my Indica - this at their own service station in Worli, Mumbai.

Had sworn then, "not another TATA car" - atleast not in this life.
Old 31st December 2009, 22:14   #599
BHPian

[QUOTE Had sworn then, "not another TATA car" - atleast not in this life.[/quote]

I have read the same sentiment expressed by Varun roy , somewhere in this thread and I am sure there are thousands more who feel the same way.

If one would notice, ever since The Vahan Yatra episode , none of Tatas releases have really made a splash. The Safari, Sumo Victa, Sumo Victa D1, Xenon, Vista,and now the Manza. A clear picture that emerges, people would rather pay a little more for Quality and Reability.

If you take out the number of Lineas , Puntos and Nano sold in the last Quarter from their Total figures, Tata Motors don't portray a rosy picture.
There have also been reports of the Nanos catching fire and the Company has blamed its vendor for supplying poor quality material.

Even Fiat owners do not want to upgrade because of the poor and step- motherly treatment meted out to its loyals

Wishing all the Team Bhp members a very HAPPY AND A VROOOMING NEW YEAR.

God bless.....
Old 6th January 2010, 21:11   #600
BHPian

Verdict at last

Dear All,

I have received the verdict that has been awaited not only by me but by the entire family of Team-bhp.

After almost 4 years of endless wait, the Scanned copies of the Original Order of The Supreme Court of India is here for all of you to see. Justice is for all to see.

I would like to personally thank each one of you for standing by me in the most difficult times of my driving life. Thanks for your encouragement, that would pep me up every time I started to lose hope.

BTW, the Senior Advocate of the Tatas is the one who has appeared on behalf of the Mining lobby of Karnataka in The Supreme Court of India, yesterday as reported in the Main News of The Times of India, Bangalore Edition on 5th January, 2010.

So long.....
Attached Thumbnails
Protest against Tata Motors.EDIT Supreme Court Orders Tata to repair Sumo (pg.40)-untitled.jpg  

Protest against Tata Motors.EDIT Supreme Court Orders Tata to repair Sumo (pg.40)-untitled1.jpg  

Protest against Tata Motors.EDIT Supreme Court Orders Tata to repair Sumo (pg.40)-untitled2.jpg  

varunroy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks