Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2010, 15:38   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
TSI engines require high octane fuel,95 ron.I guess thats why i dont think it will be introduced here.
Skoda is currently selling 1.8 TSi engine under the hood of both Laura and Superb. This very same engine powers Audi A4 and Passat.

The Yeti shares the platform with Laura. It also shares most of the components with both Superb and Laura, So it does not make much sense to get an engine here just to be sold under the hood of the Yeti. Sharing the parts keeps the manufacturing costs in check.

Regarding modifying the Yeti to meet small car norms- Yeti is 4223mm long. To get it into less than 4m category, 223mm of length will have to be trimmed. The Yeti with Figo style trimmed bumper would look bad.

Also, to comply to the small car norms the car will need a smaller engine. Yes, Skoda has access to the 1.2 TSi, getting this engine in India just for Yeti with mean a higher cost compared to the existing 2.0 CR TDi and 1.8 TSi engine which is shared with other cars here, this will offset the lower tax advantage.

Personally i love to drive, so i would prefer the 1.8 TSi over the 1.2 TSi just for the sake of driving pleasure, even at a slightly higher price. Most premium car buyer may also feel the same.
Old 5th September 2010, 18:36   #227
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Actually it is very close to Tuscon and GV in length.
Make it 4.5 meters, it will be as large as CRV or X-Trail (and as expensive).
But looking at the short overhang at the rear, 10 cms could have made it look more balanced and added useful luggage space.
They could have easily increased the rear overhang by about 15/20cm and styled the boot little curvier, a la BMX X1, which would have given it little more length and more luggage space. One would also get the feeling buying something little larger for the price.

Last edited by oss : 5th September 2010 at 18:37.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:39   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
TSI engines require high octane fuel,95 ron.I guess thats why i dont think it will be introduced here.
It is not 'required'. It is 'recommend' just as it is with any German petrol.

Judging by the reviews. I'm pretty impressed with they Yeti, it's an innovative product that should work well for Indian requirements.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:32   #229
BHPian

Read the ACI review. Loved the car and the features and it seemed the like one car to own that is the most optimal for city (compact size at 4.22 m), highway (140 bhp) and peaceful off roading (4X4).

I only wish it had come from a non-Skoda stable or that someone can underwrite the A*S*S
Old 6th September 2010, 09:51   #230
BHPian

I have my own reservations on the Yeti's off-roading capabilities. Had the chance to see it in bangalore a month back when it was on display at one of the dealerships. It is a true cross-over, a fusion between a hatch back and a SUV. The build quality is amazing and a true testament to german fit and finish. Ground clearance is around 180 mm which might inhibit any kind of serious off-roading, moreover i doubt if the AWD avatar will come to india initially.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:58   #231
BHPian

Still doesnt make the cut for excise benefits unless it comes with a 1.2 TSi

To get excise benefit, cars need to be sub 4 mtrs plus engine size of sub 1.2L for Petrol or 1.5L for Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
^^
Only if they could've squeezed it by a further 0.2 meters !!!

Last edited by AirWind : 6th September 2010 at 12:01.
Old 6th September 2010, 14:17   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Still doesnt make the cut for excise benefits unless it comes with a 1.2 TSi

To get excise benefit, cars need to be sub 4 mtrs plus engine size of sub 1.2L for Petrol or 1.5L for Diesel.

In the international market, the Yeti starts with a 1.2 TSi, FWD configuration and then goes up with bigger engines, AWD, DSG and the likes.
Old 12th September 2010, 11:39   #233
BHPian

Yeti, in Germany

Skoda Yeti - The crossover SUV-skoda-yeti.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th September 2010 at 20:29. Reason: Removed Mod note after clarification from Pawan. This picture was clicked by Pawan. Thanks
Old 12th September 2010, 22:38   #234
Team-BHP Support

By the way, what is Skoda's official statement for the 1.2 TSI engine for India?
Have they even stated any thing?
Old 16th September 2010, 12:46   #235
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Lots of speculation on TBHP but not much solid info on YETI.

The latest articles in the latest issues of AutoCar and What Car etc speak about a November 2010 launch for this vehicle.
They have estimated a price of Rs 16 -17 L ex-showroom Delhi. I guess on road price will become atleast 19-20 Lacs.
The Skoda Yeti will be launched with the 2 litre Diesel 140 BHP engine with 4WD for the Indian market. There wont be a petrol version initially. There also wont also be a 2WD version initially.
There are supposed to be 2 variants - Ambiente and Elegance.
The higher end variant will have all the lovely bells and whistles including hill descent control, traction control etc etc etc.
This is all the information that seems to be available as of now.

I wonder why they are being so reticent about a car whose launch is planned 45 days from the current date!

But it appears that all the speculations that Ive made earlier on this thread and in general seem to be coming true, if one goes by these articles.

If this is indeed the price indication for the higher variant listed above, then the Bangalore On Road price will probably not leave much change from Rs 22 lacs!

Which is Fortuner territory and the proposed Hyundai Santa Fe territory!
And then what happens if VW lands up with the Tiguan?
I suppose we shall have to wait and see.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th September 2010 at 12:50.
Old 16th September 2010, 16:24   #236
BHPian

With this pricing it would be really difficult to sell the Yeti.the dimensions are too small to make customers shell this sum of money for it. add to that the poor a.s.s. of skoda as compared to Toyota and Hyundai and there will be very few takers for it.

A brilliant product but i hope they price the 2wd more competitively or at least get a smaller capacity engine to reduce the prices!!
Old 16th September 2010, 16:58   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

The Skoda Yeti for sure will have pricing considerably lower than both Fortuner and Santa-Fe. The Fortuner is priced at 19.23L*, Santa-Fe is expected close to 22L* and Yeti is expected to be in price range of 16-17L*(4wd versions with 140hp CR TDi engine). Expect a cheaper TSi later.

* All expected and current prices ex-showroom Delhi
Old 17th September 2010, 10:16   #238
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Bangalore ex showroom pricing is much higher than Delhi plus the Road Tax rates etc are higher than anywhere else in India.

Hence the Yeti's On Road pricing here would more or less nudging the 20-21 L mark ON road. Since Fortuner On Road price is about 22L, my point is that unless one is clearly fixated on a City Soft / Medium Off road compact + the European brand cred, one would in general see a shift in focus towards the Fortuner. One irritant of course would be the long waiting list.

Of course - the pricing of the Santa Fe is a tad nuts because however nice a vehicle it may be, when consumers are faced with a Toyota Fortuner available at an equivalent/ marginally cheaper price than a Hyundai, there is a high likelihood of a shift on account of higher perceived brand equity.

Whatever it may be - the used car buyer will have a real blast in a couple of years time. The Skoda Yeti and the Fortuner will all plop into the used market at some rather attractive prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Skoda Yeti for sure will have pricing considerably lower than both Fortuner and Santa-Fe. The Fortuner is priced at 19.23L*, Santa-Fe is expected close to 22L* and Yeti is expected to be in price range of 16-17L*(4wd versions with 140hp CR TDi engine). Expect a cheaper TSi later.

* All expected and current prices ex-showroom Delhi
Old 17th September 2010, 10:44   #239
BHPian

yeti on carwale.

Carwale has posted an in-detail road test on Yeti. Those who are interested can check this out on the research section. The interior quality is superb from those pics (the reviewer also stated the same). Only thing is the price that may deter public on acquiring this.
The mod, .anshuman, was slightly off on the price number. He predicted 16L ex-showroom delhi in a post below here. But, Carwale reported that it will be little of 20L as it is a complete CKD unit.
Old 17th September 2010, 10:59   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
The mod, .anshuman, was slightly off on the price number. He predicted 16L ex-showroom delhi in a post below here. But, Carwale reported that it will be little of 20L as it is a complete CKD unit.
All ex-showroom prices as on date are intelligent guesses/speculation. Probably Skoda India itself, today, wouldn't be sure of the price point at which it intends to launch Yeti.

Last edited by AlokSriva : 17th September 2010 at 11:00.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks