Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 13:41   #286
Senior - BHPian

These are simple value less tricks manufactures play to make their product stand out from the crowd. How difficult is to crank a key compared to pushing a button? Basing your car buying decision on such gimmicks is pathetic.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:52   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, we all have our favourite gadgets! Frankly, if one is torn between two cars, it is quite likely to be something small that tips the balance. I don't care about this pushbutton; it is the Micra's ACC that impresses me more!

Although proximity sensing is new, the mere fact of pushing a button rather than just turning a key further, is unlikely to appeal to us oldies --- because we remember when the ignition key and the starter switch were separate, and combining them was the new whizz gadget of the day!

I saw a Polo, on the road, yesterday and fell in love with it. But I still love the Micra's looks.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:05   #288
Senior - BHPian

Just push a button to start the engine? Well, that is what we all did on the good old Kinetic Honda!
Old 14th June 2010, 14:11   #289
BHPian

The push button can be used for both Starting and switching off the engine, it helps to save fuel and reduce emissions when you are at a traffic signal or stuck in a traffic jam.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:16   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
The push button can be used for both Starting and switching off the engine, it helps to save fuel and reduce emissions when you are at a traffic signal or stuck in a traffic jam.
Well when the same thing can be done with the key how come the button saves more fuel than the key.

I am still not buying this push button stuff. In fact I would go on to say if someone is going to get attracted to this stuff and buys the car for this, that is easier way of having taken oneself for a ride.

I mean any real car enthusiat will know what to watch out for in a car, not a button that replaces the key. (though you need the key) BTW I am still not convinced abt its security part.

Hope you guys saw this post by GRULES
Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
I've had an interesting experience with Nissan's start/stop feature in a Nissan Altima in the US. I was out on a drive to a beach, parked the car and came back after 1/2 hour only to realize the engine was running all the time. I guess the key was within the proximity of the car all the time. But the engine was so smooth that i never realized the car was idling untill we went near the car.
What if someone had driven the vehicle then.. Not that he can take it far, but surely can place is somewhere else, also get into the car and take stuff out.

Last edited by xingamazon : 14th June 2010 at 14:19.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:44   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Well when the same thing can be done with the key how come the button saves more fuel than the key.
It doesn't save any more fuel than the conventional way, but it helps save a lot of human energy lost during the process and it looks cooler.

Still I personally wouldn't pay extra money just for the button start,but if it comes with the car as a feature along with numerous others then there is no reason to complain. These small gadgets/features do make a lot of difference and can influence the buying decisions of the general public.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:47   #292
Senior - BHPian

Can some one explain how this proximity sensor works? Some thing like if I get out of the car which is running and move out of the proximity the car automatically switches off?? When I come back in with the key, I need to push the button to fire the engine?

Last edited by poloman : 14th June 2010 at 14:50.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:50   #293
Senior - BHPian

Just saw Micra at Oxford motors Pune. looks good car to me. Very different from others in looks. Looks little like beetle. Guess its inspired from Beetle. Overall looks good package. Pricing also looks ok though on little higher side. But fit & finish is extremely good. All things looks dam perfect. Nissan logo looks cool on front & rear, gives you nice feeling. I guess this car will get moderate success in India if service network they are able to make it. Lets see.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:03   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
What if someone had driven the vehicle then.. Not that he can take it far, but surely can place is somewhere else, also get into the car and take stuff out.

I did rent Nissan a couple of times in US. The way the Smart key works is different. When you have the key with in the car/ near the car, the vehicle can be started and stopped.When you leave the car without turning off the ignition, the engine will still be idling, but you cannot engage the gear till the key is returned within its proximity.

The second part is true, anyone can open the door and take your belongings away leaving the car .
Old 14th June 2010, 15:10   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
It doesn't save any more fuel than the conventional way, but it helps save a lot of human energy lost during the process
I'm so lazy you couldn't believe it.... but even I have never noticed turning that key to be hard work!
Quote:
and it looks cooler.
It;s just another button

Quote:
Still I personally wouldn't pay extra money just for the button start,but if it comes with the car as a feature along with numerous others then there is no reason to complain. These small gadgets/features do make a lot of difference and can influence the buying decisions of the general public.
In this, I think you absolutely right. I don't think we should get hung up about this button either way --- unless it turns out to be a security risk.

If this system is in use in other countries in the world, where car theft, theft of Hu, theft of items from inside car (In London, you don't even leave an empty bag visible inside a car!), and with no security problem, then I guess it is ok here. I also guess that, if it was a problem, the insurance companies in those countries would have something to say about it.

I stress that I guess!
Old 14th June 2010, 15:16   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Just push a button to start the engine? Well, that is what we all did on the good old Kinetic Honda!
Ahem, even the BMW starts this way. So.

Why the fuss with the button? I think its neat.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:18   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
I did rent Nissan a couple of times in US. The way the Smart key works is different. When you have the key with in the car/ near the car, the vehicle can be started and stopped.When you leave the car without turning off the ignition, the engine will still be idling, but you cannot engage the gear till the key is returned within its proximity.

The second part is true, anyone can open the door and take your belongings away leaving the car .
The implementation can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer right?
Old 14th June 2010, 16:35   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Just saw Micra at Oxford motors Pune. looks good car to me. Very different from others in looks. Looks little like beetle. Guess its inspired from Beetle. Overall looks good package. Pricing also looks ok though on little higher side. But fit & finish is extremely good. All things looks dam perfect. Nissan logo looks cool on front & rear, gives you nice feeling. I guess this car will get moderate success in India if service network they are able to make it. Lets see.
Went again to oxford motors last evening with my wife. Apparently they work until 2pm only on sundays. luckily called before i left home as it was a 45min drive and it was 7pm. spoke to SM maninder, who said that he will inform the guard to let us in and see the car. He added that he would try and make it to the showroom as well since he stayed in the vicinity. when we got there true to his word he was waiting for us. That goes a long way in showing how professional the team at Nissan outlets are, Kudos to them.
One drawback is that even on the high end XV no alloys as standard. The car vious post my preon display had them and were looking cool. He started the engine up and the AC as i have mentioned in one of my previous posts is a real chiller. My wife really liked the interiors, and thought the centre console, in particular the AC controls were refreshing to look at. i agree with her sentiment. Though the indicative pricing of 6.2L on road for the top end is a bit on the higher side.
The service station is a kilometer behind the showroom and my grouse was that should i decide to pick up the car, servicing would be a task as there is no connectivity by way of public transport anywhere near there. The SM indicated that they will be offering a free pick up and drop or alternately they are planning on opening another showroom/service centre at nagar road. That should make things a lot more convenient for us punekars who are interested in buying the car.
As for the debate on the push button, that was one of the features my wife likes the most. generally speaking the micra would appeal to the fairer sex, and my wife's take on the start stop gizmo is that "have u seen the purses we ladies carry, finding a key in that is damn irritating, especially when u have ur hands full of groceries". i tend to agree with her on that. i have had to rummage for keys in her bag once too many times and the proverbial 'needle in the haystack' comes to mind.
So gimmick or no, it will appeal to some, while to others lets continue nitpicking.
Old 14th June 2010, 17:41   #299
BHPian

As Jay Leno would say : How lazy & fat-*** are we becoming these days?

Point well taken about the convenience part (esp for fairer sex)..however, going by various real/imaginary/urban-legend tales regarding parking expertise of our better-halves, hope they do-not forget to switch-off;-} What if the purse with the key is left-behind in the car itself? Generally, we carry keys in our pocket..so no question of leaving it behind. I will have a tough-time trusting my wife with this technology, considering the number of mobiles she has lost.
Old 14th June 2010, 17:50   #300
Senior - BHPian

Just adding to the button discussion. Its a boon for people who have arthritis. Some companies place the key hole on the dash to aid people with such needs (its easier to turn with hands straight)
I guess you can turn off the keyless start/stop, cant?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks