Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2010, 14:03   #91
BHPian

The hidden feature i found in my car, the i10 Automatic was that the fuel efficiency was far off from the advertised 18.2kmpl. it was 7 kmpl. Hyundai India hid it very well from me IMHO

That's the 'hidden' feature i discovered in my car after regular usage.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 12th June 2010 at 14:04. Reason: Though its giving me between 7.5-8.5kmpl regularly now
Old 12th June 2010, 14:07   #92
BHPian

After using my Fiat Palio for more than five years I found that there is a coin holder near the gear lever.
Old 12th June 2010, 14:42   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
The hidden feature i found in my car, the i10 Automatic was that the fuel efficiency was far off from the advertised 18.2kmpl. it was 7 kmpl. Hyundai India hid it very well from me IMHO

now that's a hidden feature everyone hopes NOT to find!
Old 12th June 2010, 16:13   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
Found out in Palio after 3 yrs that the inside rear view mirror has a toggle switch to use in night, which enable it to not reflect light from the headlights of cars in back. Very useful in night driving and this was not in manual.
Is this feature available in the Punto as well?
Old 12th June 2010, 17:56   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

As someone had mentioned earlier, some cars "develop" features over time. My Palio developed a very useful feature after a couple of years. The radiator cooling fan started making very loud noise which meant I did not have to use the horn much. I loved this new feature. It is especially useful in crowded places with lot of pedestrians around; they seem to get scared of this noise and move out of my way voluntarily.

Another use of this feature is that when I enter our apartment complex, my wife knows I have arrived, even when she is inside the house which is about a hundred meters away from my parking spot.

Further, everyone at office asks what this noise is, and this gives me an opportunity to start talking about my car. Thus, there are many uses of this great feature. And yes, this was not mentioned in the manual.

Eventually, my radiator cooling fan died and I had to replace it with a brand new fan. Unfortunately, with that, I lost this 'hidden' feature and felt very sad. However, now it has been just about 500 km on the new fan, and I can see signs of this feature developing again. I am confident than in next 1000 km or so, this feature will be back again and I am really happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post

Of course, I have this feature as well. But in my case, I honestly can't call this 'hidden' feature because people (if not the manual) had warned me about this several times before purchasing the car. And therefore, I never complained about this and I am happily enjoying my driving experience (which, by the way, has been really great with this car) along with this feature.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 12th June 2010 at 18:05.
Old 12th June 2010, 19:44   #96
BHPian

In my Verna SX CRDi, if I use the wash-wipe function to clean the windscreen, the wipers again give a courtesy wipe automatically (after 5 seconds, I think), just to clean up any water that may be left on the windscreen.

Oh, and as mentioned before, the power windows work for 30 seconds after the car has been turned off.

Here's one for the Verna owners and other car owners with Automatic Climate Control, to check and respond. I have a habit turning off both the AC switch and the blower when I park the Verna. Now when I do this I have discovered a feature that may be considered a flaw in dusty Indian conditions. I discovered that the climate control automatically turns on the fresh air/outside air mode every time I turn off the blower. If I just turn the AC off, and kill the ignition without turning the blower off, it stays in re-circulation mode. But as soon as I turn the blower off it goes into outside air mode. If I leave the car parked in the outside/fresh air mode, I find that the AC system sucks in dust and smells and throws them on to you the next time you start the AC. So every time I park the car, I turn off the AC, turn the blower off, and then press the re-circulation switch with the blower off before killing the ignition.

Now I guess this feature may be to keep the air in the car fresh, and keep the car cooler the next time you sit in it. But in dusty and smelly Indian conditions, it is more of a bother than a boon.

Has anyone else noticed this with your Automatic Climate Control?
Old 12th June 2010, 19:52   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
In my Verna SX CRDi, if I use the wash-wipe function to clean the windscreen, the wipers again give a courtesy wipe automatically (after 5 seconds, I think), just to clean up any water that may be left on the windscreen.
Just to add to this, In the Verna, if you toggle the Wiper switch up it will activate the wipers for one sweep or one movement. Ideal during light drizzles. Dont know if all verna owners are aware of this. I stumbled on this by accident.
Old 12th June 2010, 19:55   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Just to add to this, In the Verna, if you toggle the Wiper switch up it will activate the wipers for one sweep or one movement. Ideal during light drizzles. Dont know if all verna owners are aware of this. I stumbled on this by accident.
I thought all cars have this. All cars I have driven (including some really old cars) had this. My Palio has this and I use this all the time.
Old 12th June 2010, 20:13   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Similarly,

In my 2006 3L Safari Dicor i found out after 2 year of buying it, that it has heaters for the ORVMS to dry up during rain for better visibility

This is by far the best feature any car can have. First in an SUV. It is a boon to have such a set-up and makes driving so easy during heavy rains.
I guess that yours is ‘VX’ version.
Old 12th June 2010, 20:18   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarenes View Post
Is this feature available in the Punto as well?
That is quite a common feature. Many cars have IRVM with this simple mechanism. Most probably Punto has it too. Check the backside of your IRVM. Even if its not there its easy and safe practice to flip the IRVM a bit upwards so it doesn't reflect the headlights during night driving.

See the small switch sticking out at the bottom of the mirror. Thats your thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Hidden features you discovered in your car after regular usage-cipa_hero_32000_10_in_rear_view_daynight.jpg  

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 12th June 2010 at 20:22.
Old 12th June 2010, 20:40   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
My Amby car drivers door can only be locked by the key, first I though that there is someting wrong with the door, later I have realised that it may actually be a feature, to avoid the door being accidentally locked.
Old is gold. All modern should copy this feature.
Old 12th June 2010, 20:55   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
It is this thingy ( borrowed again from Joethomasv's ownership thread)

I have also wondered what it is for?. It does not have any soft liner. Nice hidden storage spot though.

Attachment 364104
It is there in the Fiesta as well. I used it for storing my Swiss Knife and visiting cards, and for coins sometimes.
Old 12th June 2010, 21:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if this is a standard feature accross cars, but in my Alto the AC won't get switched on until the blower is also switched on.
Old 12th June 2010, 21:47   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
Learnt from this forum about switching on the odometer light by pressing the odometer reset pin for checking the odometer reading even when the ignition key is removed. Interestingly even the dealers Service Advisors were unaware of this provision and would normally put in the ignition key and turn in on to check the odometer reading.
This feature is available in Figo also
Old 12th June 2010, 21:51   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I don't know if this is a standard feature accross cars, but in my Alto the AC won't get switched on until the blower is also switched on.
Even if it DID turn on, what use would that be if the blower is off? There is a reason it turns on only when the blower is on, and it happens in all cars. But good that you made this 'discovery'.

Last edited by newcoolgadgets : 12th June 2010 at 21:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks