Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:51   #286
UKR
BHPian

Such a wonderful product, such value for money can only be found in the T-Jet I must say. Now that it has a powerful engine with locomotive torque figures to complement the classic design, solid build, features, excellent chassis and features that put even the cars in higher segment to shame, I believe this is a complete car in every sense. If we keep aside the bad service history of Fiat(which anyway is of no importance in present times since it would be evident to any car buyer who does a little research, that service is now at the same level or in some cases even better than other brands. I know after reading this people would quote the various negative feedback that are present in this forum, but niggles are not with Fiat products alone and when you look at the issues reported, they are minor niggles compared to ones reported for other brands) aside and compare it with other brands car for car, the Linea fares much better. Well I reserve my final opinion on the T-Jet after I get to test drive one.

Well I see the bashing has already started even before it has been launched. Some people already are having a prejudice against the car and are putting comments to prove their prejudice right. Some are so desperate to show the car in a bad light that they are comparing it with cars in higher segments. I don't know what sadistic pleasure people get by such mindless bashing.
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:12   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post

Well I see the bashing has already started even before it has been launched. Some people already are having a prejudice against the car and are putting comments to prove their prejudice right. Some are so desperate to show the car in a bad light that they are comparing it with cars in higher segments. I don't know what sadistic pleasure people get by such mindless bashing.
I dont think its Fiat Bashing. The problem is when it is companies like FIAT or FORD expectations are high. The autocar road test indicates it is a decent performer but not quite the rocket. (PALIO 1.6)

However I strongly we should wait till GTO gets his hands on her. Because there is a lot more than just outright performance and in gear acceleration.

I too have huge expectations for this car.
16" alloys are a welcome change. I still feel 6th gear would be a great advantage and USP for this model.

Quote:
Also, long back I remember reading here, this detuned petrol turbo can be unlocked easily to get 120 bhp
If that is possible it will be great to have.
However in India only Diesel power box are popular. (Easier to mod the ECU. Reduce EGR and dump more fuel). Not sure about turbo petrols.

Last edited by oxyzen : 22nd September 2010 at 21:13.
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:16   #288
ajai_dev

T-jet seems nice it is a truly comparable to other petrol car in the range. I am very interested to know how much fit and fish has improved. Wonder the figure on 0-100-0 will be, the original one had 165mm GC this has 170mm so 5mm more well good but 175mm would have been a better markup.

On a separate note "Will the Linea 1.6 diesel really not be released because it was one of the cars i was waiting for :("

Old 22nd September 2010, 21:56   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
This is how it stands.
Forget VW diesel. Even the Honda city fares better in each and every aspect of performance.
This is what the autocar says.
I agree, the figures on autocar are quite disappointing. Look at the 0-140 kmph time of 28.2 secs compared to 25.48 sec for the Vento Petrol and 20.29 secs for the City. Are these figures with the AC running !?

In fact this is just 0.6 secs faster than the Baleno with the AC running (ACI figures) !

Anyway, I'll wait for a thorough test drive of the car by ACI before believing these figures.

Last edited by ashwinvig : 22nd September 2010 at 22:13.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:22   #290
Senior - BHPian

This is the second performance oriented unit from FIAT after the Palio 1.6. One can safely assume that the 'vital statistics' are not the same as of international specs because of detuning the engine to adjust for fuel imperfections.

For those who are comparing it to the City: Turbo petrol is having huge torque @ low rpm, which means when you work the gear, you can leave the city in the ORVM. And Linea has ride and handling to its advantage.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:25   #291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvig View Post
I agree, the figures on autocar are quite disappointing. Look at the 0-140 kmph time of 28.2 secs compared to 25.48 sec for the Vento Petrol and 20.29 secs for the City. Are these figures with the AC running !?
If you ask me that might have just been a typo. It must be 18 seconds to 140kmph. Nice of Fiat to launch enthusiast cars. I can safely say this is a better all rounder than the City since its got almost equal engine power, much more torque, substantially better handing and steering.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:26   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
@UKR, when I compared the car to the higher segment or to Cruze, its not out of sadistic pleasure. To maintain the decorum of a dignified forum, I strongly urge you to filter down your abusive tone.

For the record, I own a Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX SP, model year 2004. I have had the pleasure of enjoying the joys it provides as well as suffer at the mercy of service centers for 6 continuous years and counting. I have driven Punto and Linea petrol and diesel sufficiently enough to make an observation on Fiat cars for them not to be "MINDLESS BASHING". Drive more cars and grow up buddy.

I agree with @ramzsys, my point is the same too. Why shouldn't the performance of T-Jet match its international siblings? They post a 0-100 time of under 9 seconds. Considering the quality of fuel and things, it must not be way off at 12 secs. Leaving aside other segments, the performance does not beat cars like City and Fiesta (considerably cheaper car and thus a lesser segment going by the same yardstick) considering the ACI published figures are true. Case in point, a 2007 Autocar UK review. http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...orting/229196/

Last edited by v.anand : 22nd September 2010 at 22:46.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:33   #293
BHPian

28 seconds taken for 0-140? and 12 seconds taken for 0-100? I doubt if this is true. If this is true then all my expectations are shattered. This is not at all going to push the sales of Linea. Did autocar really drive the t-jet Linea? I still cannot believe these numbers guys.

My Fiesta 1.6 (NA) does a better 0-100 timing of 11 seconds.

GTO - Despearately waiting for your review on T-Jet Linea.

Last edited by Torque123 : 22nd September 2010 at 23:36. Reason: Wanted to add that am waiting or GTO's review as i just cannot believe the timings given in ACI.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:50   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvig View Post
Are these figures with the AC running !?
I am not sure but think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Turbo petrol is having huge torque @ low rpm, which means when you work the gear, you can leave the city in the ORVM. And Linea has ride and handling to its advantage.
That is not true. Then you do a forced induction, the torque curve generally rises steeply and then there is a wide steady torque available and then it starts decreasing steadily. It means the power curve is very flat.
In a naturally aspirated engine it is almost rising till you hit the redline.
So bottom line is in a turbocharged engine you dont need to work with the gears that much to get good performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If you ask me that might have just been a typo.
I really hope so. I also hope autocar has logged some wrong data and the reality is still to be disclosed.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:04   #295
ajai_dev

carwala says 0-100 in 11.9secs
autocar says 0-100 in 12 secs
Fiat says 0-100 in 11.14 secs

Last edited by ajai_dev : 23rd September 2010 at 00:05.

Old 23rd September 2010, 00:36   #296

just noticed that Autocar mentions the 20 to 80 and 40 to 100 times "in kickdown mode"? This is surely an error, unless the term has some meaning for manual transmissions as well. So they may have got the other figures wrong as well.
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:44   #297
BHPian

Eagerly awaiting team bhp's review.
As long as fiat get the pricing right, i'm buying this one.
I'm already smiling at the prospect of owning another fiat.
Old 23rd September 2010, 07:36   #298
BHPian

Autocar's review on T-Jet

Linea T-Jet review, test drive | Autocar India
Old 23rd September 2010, 07:58   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
@UKR, when I compared the car to the higher segment or to Cruze, its not out of sadistic pleasure. To maintain the decorum of a dignified forum, I strongly urge you to filter down your abusive tone.

For the record, I own a Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX SP, model year 2004. I have had the pleasure of enjoying the joys it provides as well as suffer at the mercy of service centers for 6 continuous years and counting. I have driven Punto and Linea petrol and diesel sufficiently enough to make an observation on Fiat cars for them not to be "MINDLESS BASHING". Drive more cars and grow up buddy.

I agree with @ramzsys, my point is the same too. Why shouldn't the performance of T-Jet match its international siblings? They post a 0-100 time of under 9 seconds. Considering the quality of fuel and things, it must not be way off at 12 secs. Leaving aside other segments, the performance does not beat cars like City and Fiesta (considerably cheaper car and thus a lesser segment going by the same yardstick) considering the ACI published figures are true. Case in point, a 2007 Autocar UK review. Fiat Punto 1.4 T-Jet Sporting - Road Test First Drive - Autocar.co.uk
If you want to compare the figures to a GP based in UK, the T-Jet Linea is slower by 2 seconds compared to the GP T-Jet in UK spec. Consider this...

A 100Kg heavier than the Grande Punto
Low octane fuel available in India
The big 'Kitna deti hai' attitude of the Indian market.

Even a 12 Lakh Corolla Altis is marketed with its ARAI fuel economy figures.

The Linea has finally got the engine it deserved! I feel sad for the Fiat bashers, they have just the A.S.S to complaint about.
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:42   #300
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The big 'Kitna deti hai' attitude of the Indian market.
Dont think this variant is targetted at 'Kitna deti hai' crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The Linea has finally got the engine it deserved!
+100
Better late than never. Now, there is a good engine to go with the superb handling.

Carwale also mentions that the interiors are improved. If that is the case, then this will be a candidate for sedan purchase for me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks