Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 21:03   #136
BHPian

One more point I 've forgotten,
iv) The price of FIAT cars will be always 25K-75K more than comparable to other brands with same size/features/engine capacity etc.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:42   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvkale2 View Post
iv) The price of FIAT cars will be always 25K-75K more than comparable to other brands with same size/features/engine capacity etc.
It would be better if Fiat charged another 20k and given some better fit plastics.

But as CPH says, Fiats in other countries too have similar plastics. So its better we don't expect more in terms of plastics.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:11   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
There is no difference on the interior that I can recollect. It isn't Tata. It is Fiat. They make the car's interiors cheapish.
Interesting ! I have had the opportunity to look at the S.American counterpart. The interiors are much better compared to the Indian counterpart. But again its much pricier compared to the Indian version. Almost 1.75 times costly than the 8L tag in India.
Old 6th August 2010, 11:00   #139
Senior - BHPian

We seem to be dicussing the Punto more than the T-Jet on this thread..!
I really hope Fiat deliver with the T-Jet. It will give them some much needed confidence to introduce more performance oriented products (at least to some extent) instead of looking at only FE and screwing up..
Old 6th August 2010, 11:26   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
We seem to be dicussing the Punto more than the T-Jet on this thread..!
I really hope Fiat deliver with the T-Jet. It will give them some much needed confidence to introduce more performance oriented products (at least to some extent) instead of looking at only FE and screwing up..
They had screwed up in the past due to performance oriented cars. GTX/S10 was leagues ahead that the competition. They could sell only handful. I think FIAT has taken the right path to please 80% FE concerned population than 20% performance population. Now as they are already selling descent Lineas, they can take a somewhat more powerful engine path. The best thing is, as somebody pointed out, this TJet is not hampering FE figures a lot. An ideal car for FE and performance concerned people.

I still feel, FIAT should now take independent sales channel to avoid product overlap. Service and manufacturing will be shared but then sales should be separate.
Old 6th August 2010, 11:58   #141
Senior - BHPian

Its all about the right balance between FE and performance. The GTX was total performance and really bad FE, and now it seems to be the other way around. The T-Jet should be more efficient than the regular 1.4 and deliver good performance as well. Lets wait and see..
Old 6th August 2010, 22:37   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
They had screwed up in the past due to performance oriented cars. GTX/S10 was leagues ahead that the competition. They could sell only handful. I think FIAT has taken the right path to please 80% FE concerned population than 20% performance population. Now as they are already selling descent Lineas, they can take a somewhat more powerful engine path. The best thing is, as somebody pointed out, this TJet is not hampering FE figures a lot. An ideal car for FE and performance concerned people.

I still feel, FIAT should now take independent sales channel to avoid product overlap. Service and manufacturing will be shared but then sales should be separate.
Well said neo! Independant sales channel will do a world of difference to Fiat sales.
GTX/S10 were the epitome of hatchback performance..and some say Fiat doesn't know to tune their engines & Maruti knows better Ha! Ha!
Old 7th August 2010, 22:45   #143
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Interesting ! I have had the opportunity to look at the S.American counterpart. The interiors are much better compared to the Indian counterpart. But again its much pricier compared to the Indian version. Almost 1.75 times costly than the 8L tag in India.
Are you sure it is not the EVO interior. The higher spec models have some better bits over here too. But the base spec is the same as over your end.

Hopefully the T-jet has the same as in Europe.
Old 8th August 2010, 11:34   #144
BHPian

Everyone love their car. Let them be happy.

Lets come to topic. Last week I wasted my weekend in TDing many cars in the sub 10-12L segment. I was heavily disappointed since there is no car which can be called as wow.

ANHC, no offence to the owners, I drove the car, not very fast max 60 kmph, and I did not understand why this much halla-gulla for the car. I may be kicked off for this, but my Palio handles better that ANHC. (drive one to believe since I drove both the cars).

Next I tried Linea MJD- Missing FIAT feel- rejected. I mean I still got that old Palio handling feel (again max 60 kmph during TD) with a little more power. Come one, I want something better. I did not like the interiors either.

Mit Cedia- The best in the class but rejected the exteriors. It looks dated and width is very less.

Hyundai Verna- If I am the CEO of Hyundai then the first day only I'll fire grill desinger of Hyundai cars. I dont think anyone after driving a fiat will like hyundai.

SX4- Why are we bashing Linea for cheap interiors???? Says who that SX4 is any better? Also I did not like the handling of this car at ALL (again max 60 kmph).

Ford Fiesta 1.6- It looks very puny for a sedan. Though I have seen good feedback, not all very positive though, I hate the looks of all fords in India (except mondeo). I did not TD it.

Lets see what T-Jet has to offer. I hope it is not another disappointment from Fiat.
It is us to blame, when Fiat gave good cars no one bought it (GTX, S10), now we are crazily going behind the india-special de-tuned ones (punto, linea).

I think we deserve to own detuned and not-so-international quality cars coz they only sell here.
Old 8th August 2010, 12:10   #145
Team-BHP Support

Dude at 60kmph I dont think you should come to conclusions about handling. At that speed an innova will probably be able to handle most situations as well as the sedans mentioned above.
Old 8th August 2010, 13:57   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post

ANHC, no offence to the owners, I drove the car, not very fast max 60 kmph, and I did not understand why this much halla-gulla for the car. I may be kicked off for this, but my Palio handles better that ANHC. (drive one to believe since I drove both the cars).

Ford Fiesta 1.6- It looks very puny for a sedan. Though I have seen good feedback, not all very positive though, I hate the looks of all fords in India (except mondeo). I did not TD it.
The ANHC was never known for its handling.

You should try the fiesta 1.6S. Its probably the best drivers car below 10L. Its cramped at the rear, sure. But when you own a car like that you wouldn't want to be in the rear. Looks are subjective but I think the fiesta's styling wouldn't offend anyone. Infact I like it for its clean lines.
Old 8th August 2010, 21:01   #147
BHPian

How I wish Shewag was given the T-Jet with hot 16" alloys instead of the regular one. Fiat sure missed an opportunity there. The pics with the team in and on the car are plastered on the back page of many papers.
Old 8th August 2010, 22:23   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Well you must know by now that we *people* are not as naturally gifted as yourself

I dont have any problems with state of tune in Brazil or Europe. Nor do I have a problem with detuning cars for Indian fuel. What I have aprehentions about is, why does Fiat India in particular detune to this extent that too on a car like Linea with high kerb weight.

The ANHC globally (NA notwithstanding) comes in tune of around 120 bhp max, we get around 116 odd, fine. The Fiat on the contrary is 10 horses less??? If it was a 150 bhp engine it would have been fine. But 10 horses less for a 120 bhp engine simply doesnt cut it. Honda will still own the flag of having the most horses whereas Fiat's so called performance petrol sedan, no matter what the torque figures are, would still fall short in outright power.... And this is a performance sedan???

Fiat is going Cedia way with Linea and Punto imo. Keep coming out with new stickers, new variants of the same engines (albeit with different turbo setups), leather seats, racing stripes, etc. What they cant get right and need to do right in the first place is.... New dashboard design (current one looks dated) and new plastics (improved 10 fold) and than even with the current engine and A.S.S they would sell. Its not the A.S.S thats the only deterent that comes in the way of Fiat (as claimed by its fans) but its the shoddiness in the finish of the product itself that gives ppl nightmare. That would explain why Skodas still sell and Fiat doesnt. As even whatever might be problems with Skodas A.S.S the product fit and finish when u take it new off the show room is in a different league when compared to Punto or Linea.
I somehow feel, there is a great amount of mind block of majority of the people towards any car which FIAT brings. Well, the service network is not as bad as it is projected by some of our members here. Did we benchmark Honda as a service provier of repute? If yes, then, I own both the cars. Let me tell you, both are equally good or equally bad. Also Honda ZX and the model before that was bought by thousands, the Honda engine providing 77bhp. Then why so much of fuss about a 110bhp engine of Linea? Its in the mind. No one is making a noise when Toyota has launched a 87BHP engine with a car weighing more than 1245kgs. See the comparison of Altis and Linea purely from specification point of view.
Toyota Corolla Altis GL Diesel vs Fiat Linea Emotion Pk 1.3 MJD | Car Comparisons - CarWale.com

Hence, lets give everyone a fare chance. You can have reservations, but lets not close our eyes. In my opinion like there are people who are biased towards FIAT, there are people who are AGAINST FIAT. Its a "come what may situation" for both of them.
Old 8th August 2010, 22:33   #149
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1310 View Post
I somehow feel, there is a great amount of mind block of majority of the people towards any car which FIAT brings. Well, the service network is not as bad as it is projected by some of our members here. Did we benchmark Honda as a service provier of repute? If yes, then, I own both the cars. Let me tell you, both are equally good or equally bad. Also Honda ZX and the model before that was bought by thousands, the Honda engine providing 77bhp. Then why so much of fuss about a 110bhp engine of Linea? Its in the mind. No one is making a noise when Toyota has launched a 87BHP engine with a car weighing more than 1245kgs. See the comparison of Altis and Linea purely from specification point of view.
Toyota Corolla Altis GL Diesel vs Fiat Linea Emotion Pk 1.3 MJD | Car Comparisons - CarWale.com

Hence, lets give everyone a fare chance. You can have reservations, but lets not close our eyes. In my opinion like there are people who are biased towards FIAT, there are people who are AGAINST FIAT. Its a "come what may situation" for both of them.
I absolutely agree. The only problem is that we seem to be not even enough to open a club on this.

Public perception is a big problem. It wil be a lon uphill struggle for Fiat.

Why people praise Honda so much and nearly curse Fiat is beyond me. Honda built endless amounts of death traps. They had a lot of problems with safety and reliability in many areas. The recall rate is far above Fiats worldwide.

I am not the biggest fan of the Punto and the Linea, but any day one of the two before I even would look at a Honda.
Old 9th August 2010, 06:59   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1310 View Post
Also Honda ZX and the model before that was bought by thousands, the Honda engine providing 77bhp. No one is making a noise when Toyota has launched a 87BHP engine with a car weighing more than 1245kgs.
You should see the Toyota Altis Diesel test drive and review thread. Members are going hammer and tongs about how underpowered it is.

Similarly when City ZX was in market, people were saying the same thing, but it was adequate for the car at that time. It was underpowered, but it did many things right like excellent quality of interiors, quite good fuel efficiency among other things. Times have change now, city is now ~120 bhp and verna, sx4 and fiesta are in ~100-105 range. So FIat has to act fast in order get a pie of the growing market.

So, its not like a bias against FIAT for not providing powerful engine, it goes for Hondas and Toyotas too. If and when they launch this T-Jet i am sure most of them will stop saying it is underpowered

Last edited by chevelle : 9th August 2010 at 07:03.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks