Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 16:23   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
City sells because there is no alternative for it. Else the car is mediocre and overpriced.
Let's call an apple, apple & orange, orange. I like Linea for its design & beauty, the premium ride quality (which is a segment above). But ANHC is unstoppable, with its class-beating AT gear box as its trump card. No matter how much power Linea packs into its hood, there will always be buyers for the ANHC, simply for its AT box. None of its competitors have anything comparable to the AT (5 speed AT with Paddle shift) that ANHC offers.
Having said that, Linea will have its own set of admirers who prefer Manual box & the set of qualities that only a Fiat Linea can give. I personally test drove both these machines & was confused on picking which one to pick
Waiting to TD the TJet Linea, hoping that it will simplify the decision making...
Old 4th August 2010, 16:40   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
City sells because there is no alternative for it. Else the car is mediocre and overpriced.
While your first statement made sense to some extent, your second statement took away all credibility from your post.

As Anshuman explained beautifully, there are many reasons why City sells more than its peers. Take a long drive to know its virtue.

While i appreciate and praise Fiat's car for what they are, it makes sense to call spade a spade.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:05   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
^^ True that!

Here is another one:

"A picture (your avatar) is worth a thousand words". Your Avatar tells a story!
You seems to be against FIAT totally (though you never owned any and don't intend to in future), then how have you arrived to this judgement about Fiat products?
I found you to be a person with a little knowledge? I didn't find a single response of yours to Aquelo comments satisfactory.
Please get your facts right..
Old 4th August 2010, 17:31   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The fact of the matter is we are simply not getting what we pay for in this case. Take for eg Punto, it sure damn charges more than what a Swift with the same engine commands.... So Punto owners are paying more than they would do like-for-like if they were to buy a Maruti.
Its only the engine thats the same, there is a huge difference in drivability. The Punto has less lag and much much better handling and braking than the SWIFT D, IFF we leave acceleration out of the picture, the Punto is miles ahead of the swift D, all round!

Quote:
They sure would be happy and Punto sales will surely sore if Fiat gets the following right:

1) Dated Interiors
2) Tata like Fit and Finish of the plastics that would even make a Maruti owner proud (Maruti are not that great to begin with)
3) Sad state of tune of the engine (where is the power going?)
4) Sad gear ratios (Even then 90 PS Punto is not feeling quick)
There is enough power in the car if one understands how to utilize it sir.

Quote:
5) Quality issues from what I have heard, read, seen, like tyres getting uneven tread ware, plastics falling off, chrome glue, driver seat going down, and what not
Quote:
There is no car that comes as close to looking good on the outside than Linea and Punto, and its well acknowledged that they have superb handling, but leave alone A.S.S if the manufacturer cant get the above things right in a NEW product, what the hell would happen when it gets old?

Thats what takes buyers like me away from Linea and Punto. Believe me at 7-9 Lakh odd, they are not cheap, and we get a lot more for what we pay for when we buy a Swift, i20, SX4, City...
could you please explain in simpler words..
Old 4th August 2010, 17:40   #125
BHPian

hmm..seems like a good move by FIAT considering the launch of Corolla Altis diesel recently.it looks like new gen diesels will change the way people look at a diesel car!
Old 4th August 2010, 18:01   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundmenon View Post
hmm..seems like a good move by FIAT considering the launch of Corolla Altis diesel recently.it looks like new gen diesels will change the way people look at a diesel car!
Oopsie.
T-Jet sips petrol

I guess you mixed it up with the 1.6 MJD

@Headers,Gallant : I guess we will end up taking this discussion totally OT. As I said, we have had enough entertainment for one day. Some people have stronger likes and dislikes. Aseem just aired his strong opinion. Just because we dont try to show other products as those of a lesser world, doesnt make us any great. So, lets kill that issue. We all know the facts and the issues.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:41   #127
Senior - BHPian

Wow, it is almost impossible now to look at a c-segment car related thread and not see a Honda vs Fiat fight going on. Its truly shocking to see comments from various individuals, the purpose of which seems purely to provoke the "opposing camp". Not cool. Let us all discuss Linea T-Jet and leave the bashing aside IMO.

Waise I remember reading the FE figure comparison between the T-Jet 1.4 Linea and the regular 1.4. The figures were not too far from each other. So (presumably) a powerful sedan that would not compromise on fuel efficiency too. Nice!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Finally, the T-Jet arrives. IMO, it should have been launched earlier (late 2009),
I agree. This should have been done much much sooner. At a (reported / speculated) price difference of 30k or so, it seems real VFM. I would have definitely opted for it instead of the non TC Linea.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:50   #128
BHPian

Is this site reliable or are they kidding ???

Fiat Linea T-Jet on Indian roads from Sep, a wrap up of features

The Fiat Linea T-Jet also happens to be the first car in Indian automobile market that comes with a turbocharged version of naturally aspirated 1.4 l Petrol engine. The car reaches speed from 0-100 kmh in just 9.2 seconds and reaches the top speed of about 200 kph. Not only this is the T-Jet a safe vehicle to drive with its anti-lock braking system with electronic brake force distribution, power lock doors and reverse parking sensors. The car also has rain sensing wipers and automatic headlamps. The car comes with Fire Protection System that stops fuel supply to the engine if necessary. It also has side and roof airbags.
Old 5th August 2010, 00:35   #129
BHPian

In March 09, I was very keen to buy a Linea and took a TD. Although I was amazed by the handling and stability of the car which was evident even at low speeds, but I was put off by the shoddy material quality inside the cabin, long throw gear lever and uncomfortable pedal positioning. I believe that FIAT needs to address these issues if it wants to win more customers. Nobody doubts that FIAT makes good cars but the poor finishing ruins the first impression.

Later I also drove City Automatic, however I found the car practically bare of features and quality interiors as befitting its price point. Civic had also become an old model, devoid of features and was due for a facelift, so ultimately I bought the Altis Automatic.

FIAT India needs to get out of its Tata Indica mentality and improve its interiors and ergonomics, only then the cars will start selling.
Old 5th August 2010, 01:04   #130
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post

FIAT India needs to get out of its Tata Indica mentality and improve its interiors and ergonomics, only then the cars will start selling.
I only have been driving Lineas (i.e. Grande Punto) without boot as they do not sell them in Britain, but it was plenty of them for testing after performance tuning (not because of pure boredom). I have had the opportunity to drive (even if it was only a short trip) an Indian built Grande Punto on my recent visit to Mumbai.

There is no difference on the interior that I can recollect. It isn't Tata. It is Fiat. They make the car's interiors cheapish.

Overall it is not a car too bad.
Old 5th August 2010, 02:17   #131
BHPian

I couldnt resist putting in my words to this thread, when i read somewhere Swift to be better than Punto, in terms of interior.. How? When? Where?.. As sad Punto's interior be its few notches above that of swifts, this conclusion is after extensive test drive I did before buying the GP.
Moreover comparing swift and gp is like comparing i10 to i20, though both may have same engines but feature wise, size wise, snoob value wise they are class apart. Park GP and swift side by side to know what i mean when i say SIZE.
GP's interior is nowhere close to being called dated its a beauty which screams italian design. I personally dont like bubbly round dashes like that of i10, i20, Swift's is also decent but very basic. I in my right mind would never compare swift to gp its pointless both are totally different cars with GP having better feautures like USB, Integrated bluetooth (its feels very classy when your MID shows who is callling and not your music system!!) Airbag, abs, ebd, followme, tyres, thousand of other things.
These days you can get almost everything aftermarket but what matters is what you get bundled up with the showroom price of the car and if its worth spending that extra money for a lakh of a rupee extra I got a bigger, safer, stable, feature rich, better looking, new and overall better car. I would never buy a swift post punto era the funny thing is not only the dash of swift but the whole car is too dated, before that it was my only choice.
Cheers...
Old 5th August 2010, 10:49   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interiors.. uh oh.. no comments.
Ergonomics: that probably varies from person to person. For example, I (height - 5'11", waist - 36", weight - 93 kg) find all Fiat cars very ergonomic. When I first sat in Palio's driver seat, I felt as if the car was made for me! On the contrary, I found the Polo very uncomfortable. It's just my perspective.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:00   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
I couldnt resist putting in my words to this thread, when i read somewhere Swift to be better than Punto, in terms of interior.. How? When? Where?.. As sad Punto's interior be its few notches above that of swifts, this conclusion is after extensive test drive I did before buying the GP.
Moreover comparing swift and gp is like comparing i10 to i20, though both may have same engines but feature wise, size wise, snoob value wise they are class apart. Park GP and swift side by side to know what i mean when i say SIZE.
GP's interior is nowhere close to being called dated its a beauty which screams italian design. I personally dont like bubbly round dashes like that of i10, i20, Swift's is also decent but very basic. I in my right mind would never compare swift to gp its pointless both are totally different cars with GP having better feautures like USB, Integrated bluetooth (its feels very classy when your MID shows who is callling and not your music system!!) Airbag, abs, ebd, followme, tyres, thousand of other things.
These days you can get almost everything aftermarket but what matters is what you get bundled up with the showroom price of the car and if its worth spending that extra money for a lakh of a rupee extra I got a bigger, safer, stable, feature rich, better looking, new and overall better car. I would never buy a swift post punto era the funny thing is not only the dash of swift but the whole car is too dated, before that it was my only choice.
Cheers...

Having said that, the Swift still outsells the Punto both in petrol and diesel variants and has longer wait periods. Agreed that GP has additional features over the Swift but I guess the only reasons why (the few) people choose the GP over Swift is due to the excellent build quality (Swift is pathetic in this regard) and better driving dynamics (Swift isn't too bad here). Looks IMHO are subjective. We all know who has the better A-S-S between Fiat & MUL.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:11   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbraju View Post
Is this site reliable or are they kidding ???

Fiat Linea T-Jet on Indian roads from Sep, a wrap up of features

The Fiat Linea T-Jet also happens to be the first car in Indian automobile market that comes with a turbocharged version of naturally aspirated 1.4 l Petrol engine. The car reaches speed from 0-100 kmh in just 9.2 seconds and reaches the top speed of about 200 kph. Not only this is the T-Jet a safe vehicle to drive with its anti-lock braking system with electronic brake force distribution, power lock doors and reverse parking sensors. The car also has rain sensing wipers and automatic headlamps. The car comes with Fire Protection System that stops fuel supply to the engine if necessary. It also has side and roof airbags.
That cannot be true. Side and roof airbags in a 8L sedan is impossible! The website is probably quoting all specifications of the Brazilian model.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:46   #135
BHPian

How to increase sell of FIATs?

Quote:
I personally feel there is no problem of exterior/interior or engine issues. Everybody knows FIAT cars are best.
What they lag is
i) Poor A.S.S. - It has been discussed on almost all forums and all Uno,Palio & Siena owners have horrible experience. But now there are lot of improvements and they are on the right path.
ii) Lack of advt. (both in Print as wel as Videos)- U can see hardly once in a week, a small advt of Punto/linea that to on 2nd/3rd page. Very less Hordings. And TV commercial of Punto/Linea were for only one month.Also Brand ambassador( Yuvraj Singh seen only with Punto for 1 month). In fact after every 5-6 months some new commercial should come for 1 mnth bombardmant.
iii) Variety of models for all ranges ( from 2.5L to 10 Lakhs)- May be now only 02 options left Punto/Linea. They are taking much time for low cost car(to be launched by 2012, by that time whole Indian market will be flooded n saturated). Like Linea also launched late in India. They should come up aggressively with Panda, Bravo, Nuova, Fiorono,Sedici, Croma etc. I feel since they are getting lul response since 2002 onwards they are waiting in indefinate mode and by that time whole market got captured by maruti/Hundai/GM/Ford/Toyota. It has become vicious circle to wait for more sell and not introduce new models.

I wish FIAT shoud acquire 25% of market by 2015( every one car out of 4 will be FIAT)
And by 2020 they will have 50% share (every alternate car you see on Indian roads is FIAT)

Best of luck FIAT. Keep growing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIAT!!!!!The most beautiful and rugged machine on universe.

Note: The current logo of silver/red circle with FIAT is so beautiful and apealing that it will lead to your destination by 2020. Please don't change it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks