Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 10:03   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Attn i20 Owners: Good News | Hyundai's Solution for AC and Rattles

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
+1 to that. I always adjust the ACC to 21 and it never complains to cool the cabin. However the AC is taking a serious toll on the pulling capacity of the car. Sometimes it just refuses to move on slight inclines with 4 people on board. Have you observed this kind of severe decline in pulling in your car (with 4-5 on board)?
Couple of weeks back I saw a i120 stuck on a steep incline on the way to Nandi Hills, Bangalore. The car refused to pull and couple of people got down and then it went over. Don't know if its a car issue or driving skill issue.
Old 20th January 2012, 10:45   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Couple of weeks back I saw a i120 stuck on a steep incline on the way to Nandi Hills, Bangalore. The car refused to pull and couple of people got down and then it went over. Don't know if its a car issue or driving skill issue.
If its a 6-speed CRDi with AC ON and starting from a standstill, then definitely its the issue with the car. People had doubted my driving skills too when I used to stall i20 at steep inclines. But I have driven Omni and Esteem in more steeper inclines in the past 13 years and never stalled the car. I'll take up this issue with A.S.S next time when I visit them.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:10   #138
BHPian

Quote:
If its a 6-speed CRDi with AC ON and starting from a standstill, then definitely its the issue with the car. People had doubted my driving skills too when I used to stall i20 at steep inclines. But I have driven Omni and Esteem in more steeper inclines in the past 13 years and never stalled the car. I'll take up this issue with A.S.S next time when I visit them.
I too have a 6 gear version. Hmm. Haven't really faced issue with pulling even with 5 people on board. There is no noticeable drop in power with the AC too. I used to use an 800 A/C version before, so i can understand what you are trying to say.

Can't seem to remember instances of 5 people on board and starting from standstill on a steep incline though. I have done this at many malls across Bangalore where they have steep inclines and a pay and exit counter at the end. I have waited on the inclines and started off from there. Did not have any issue. I remember at least 3 people on board.

Last i remember driving on steep inclines with fully loaded car was when i drove to Goa. The car was full. 5 adults and tons of luggage too. Had to downshift a couple of times in the ghat sections when the rpm used to drop below the turbo range and there was severe turbo lag which followed!

The lag has reduced these days after i started using Mobil Delvac 1. I can start off from standstill in 2nd gear without much fuss. Was tough to do that before. And yeah, the engine revs much neater and is a lot more silent too
Old 20th January 2012, 14:58   #139
BHPian

Quote:
If its a 6-speed CRDi with AC ON and starting from a standstill, then definitely its the issue with the car. People had doubted my driving skills too when I used to stall i20 at steep inclines..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
I too have a 6 gear version..
Last i remember driving on steep inclines with fully loaded car was when i drove to Goa. The car was full. 5 adults and tons of luggage too. Had to downshift a couple of times in the ghat sections when the rpm used to drop below the turbo range and there was severe turbo lag which followed!

The lag has reduced these days after i started using Mobil Delvac 1. I can start off from standstill in 2nd gear without much fuss. Was tough to do that before. And yeah, the engine revs much neater and is a lot more silent too
A brief History into the i20 CRDI engine management ( I know the people who were engineering the ECU).

in 2009, with the launch of Punto & Jazz, the i20 was under the threat of losing the market share (diesel to GP & Petrol to Jazz) since it had a really puny 1.2l mill doing the works under the hood. While R&D was in progress on the mills, the real deal wasnt 100% ready.
Although they had the 1.4l Diesel mill ready, the ECU program was nowhere close to completion. The plan was to use the kings of Diesel engine mgmt i.e. Bosch.
As we know, there are very few indigenous diesel mills across the globe and most of the mills are shared and do duty across the world in different states of tune.
Bosch had the platform software ready for the engine however, the final set of tunings is done by the company based on their requirement. This takes immense R&D as it will vary with the vehicle's purpose, design, gb etc etc . However, in 2009, Hyundai was far from ready with customising their ECU.As a result, in a hurry, they launched the car with the basic platform s/w !! while they worked on fine tuning the ecu in the background.
In 2010, they decided to break up with Bosch as their ECU suppliers and moved over to Delphi. However, the same story came over again and the car sufferred immense loss of torque as it was not mated properly with the 6spd GB.
They learnt their lessons again in 2011.However, instead of fine tuning the ECU, which is a expensive affair, they decided to play a game of roulette and try the Delphi stuff with the 5spd Gb (which was relaunched mid 2011).
Meanwhile, the Hyundai team has been working on fine tuning the ECU as well. That is more likely the reason for Kimi's performance improvement(which would have been reflashed during a service) rather than the Delvac (sorry, didnt want to burst the bubble! a good oil can do only this much )
I guess its also a known fact that Hyundai carries out parts upgradation during services instead of publishing a nationwide recall fiasco. I personally think that in a panic stricken nation like ours, this is a better way of doing it rather than scaring the mango people.

So, is the case a lost one?
No, not really.

I had the opportunity of driving a properly tuned i20 CRDI 5spd (Bosch ECU) and not the ones running on the platform. This tuning was done by the real McCoy and not any aftermarket tuners! So, I know what Hyundai could have done if they had waited a little more.
Just for fun, we got the car tweaked a bit more for a little more and boy was it fun! Alas, the steering and the suspension geometry scrwd it up before the engine even showed any sign of duress.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 10:48   #140
BHPian

mine started having rattles after 15000 kms,went to the popular showroom in kazhakootam and they fixed it but again it returned after some km.last time i gave it to hilton near ulloor and they fixed it and now it is 1500 odd kms and the rattle has not returned but ysterday i did hear something which resembled that dreadful noise ,have to see if it is back.I wonder how hyundai got away with this ,i20 still sells in large numbers ,How about the new cars ,is the rattle there or have they fixed it?By the mine is a september 2010 car
Old 26th May 2013, 10:12   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
I wonder how hyundai got away with this ,i20 still sells in large numbers
That's because many owners don't even know that it is an issue. I know of many i20s which have the steering rattle issue, but the owners don't know about it or don't know how to identify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
How about the new cars ,is the rattle there or have they fixed it?By the mine is a september 2010 car
There is atleast one case here on Team-bhp where an i-gen i20 owner has reported the steering rattle issue on his i20. The Hyundai workshop was offering to fit the previous gen i20 steering rack on his car to fix the issue, but he declined. But that being said my 2009 i20, which has i-gen i20's rack/column and joint assy fitted is running fine without any steering rattles.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 13:40   #142
BHPian

Hey skanchan95, I too drive an i20 asta 1.2. Its a 2011 model and I too am facing the steering rattle problem . Its not too much but I can feel the rattles when going over rough roads. At every service I told the service centre guys, but its of no use. I disappears for few days and again it comes back. I don't know why Hyundai is not serious about this problem.
Old 27th May 2013, 20:59   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyAsta View Post
Hey skanchan95, I too drive an i20 asta 1.2. Its a 2011 model and I too am facing the steering rattle problem . Its not too much but I can feel the rattles when going over rough roads. At every service I told the service centre guys, but its of no use. I disappears for few days and again it comes back. I don't know why Hyundai is not serious about this problem.
You could try quoting my example i.e installing I-gen i20's rack, column and universal joint assy in previous gen i20s, to your workshop. Try and get this done before your warranty expires.No harm in trying it, after all why should the customer suffer because of Hyundai engineers incompetence.

Because of the infamous steering rattle problem, the resale value of i20 is very low. No true vale dealership wants to have an i20 in their stable today.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 13:21   #144
BHPian

Thank you skanchan95 for the suggestion. I will try doing that in my next service. As far as the resale value is concerned, what you said is true.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks