Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 13:56   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Many of the i20 owners including me started complaining when summer started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Well now would hardly be the time to evaluate AC performance. The ideal test would be during summer. Your profile says you are from Bangalore, which at this time of the year has very pleasant weather.
Well guys, the car is driven in Karkala(Udupi district) where weather goes from rainy to hot, but hot in general. 27 to 30 degrees is the normal temperature during the day. But it definitely feels much hotter(Accuweather website says RealFeel is 37 degrees) at this temperature, the ACC was set at around 18 degrees in Air circulation mode. Felt the AC worked pretty fine, rather more than sufficient.

If you go for comparison, then i would say i10 AC is a chiller, but considering standalone, i felt AC was sufficient. I gave particular attention to AC because of the concerns in the forum regarding the AC quality.

Car has not got Sun films yet, and never tried placing it under the sun and then checking the AC.

But then, in proper summer, again i would check and then give you all the feedback.

But IMO, it would be wrong to generalize that all i20 ACs are bad.
Old 6th October 2010, 00:30   #92
BHPian

hey all,

I've driven my new i20 for about 600 kms over various types of roads. I have noticed many times that when the car is driven over very rough roads with small and big ditches or sharp bumps, there is definitely a 'knock+rattle' sound along with quite a bit of vibration from the steering wheel. My 1st service is due late next month. wondering if I should wait it out or immediately contact the workshop to check on my complaint/ experience. Worried. Pls post your comments/ advice.
Old 6th October 2010, 09:22   #93
BHPian

Better take it ASAP. So those guys will understand the issue's importance
Old 8th October 2010, 15:33   #94
BHPian

Just today I contacted a senior workshop employee who looks into such complaints.
Mr. Virendra Masurkar from Hyundai Workshop at Sewri-Mumbai. He will be checking my car tomorrow morning and said that it may be a "operational sound" of the spring and bolt in the steering column. If the noise is found then these two parts will be replaced without opening any major parts.

Dear team, please pray for my car.
Old 9th October 2010, 12:42   #95
BHPian

Got my car test driven by Virendra from Hyundai workshop at Sewri - Mumbai. He acknowledged the rattle+knock. I also informed him about the slight play in the brake paddle. Said it was normal. May need to change the washer.

About the steering rattle, he explained that the new i20s have been fixed with a modified 'spring' with slightly increased torque (0.10 to 0.11). So he will check the steering column spring of my car and will replace it if required and also further increase the torque level. He also said that this kind of problem is occurring mainly in cars in the western region where road conditions are very poor. Also, because the steering setting is very light, there is a chance for a minute gap to develop between the column and rack joint when the car is driven over rough roads. Didn't quite understand all of the explanation. Just posting what transpired during the test drive. Will be getting this done on coming Tuesday.

Any comments people?

Last edited by Yashodeep : 9th October 2010 at 12:48.
Old 9th October 2010, 14:32   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

From this thread it is apparent that the problem is not confined to "western" region because of potholed roads. The latter are endemic all over the country but this particular sound is unique to i20's

So it is a problem still in search of a solution since some of the earlier guys have got repairs done only to have the sound re-appear. Please post your feed back after repairs and once you have chance to cover some reasonable distance.
Old 9th October 2010, 14:52   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashodeep View Post

About the steering rattle, he explained that the new i20s have been fixed with a modified 'spring' with slightly increased torque (0.10 to 0.11). So he will check the steering column spring of my car and will replace it if required and also further increase the torque level. He also said that this kind of problem is occurring mainly in cars in the western region where road conditions are very poor.
The same modified urethane pad/yoke spring assembly was fitted on my car last month. The rattling sound and other characteristics of steering rattle i.e. steering wheel vibrations and suspension being felt loose, still persist. When reported and the car test-driven by the workshop and regional office wallahs, first they called it suspension noise, then they said scratch that, its dashboard noise. The word steering rattle became swaahaa.

They gave me all sorts of explanations from slight play beween the rack and column to telescopic steering being responsible and what not.

I will be visiting the workshop soon to fix this "dashboard noise". Let me see if they can fix the rattle without opening the steering rack and column.
Old 9th October 2010, 19:51   #98
BHPian

is the steering rack required to be opened up to replace the yoke spring?
Old 5th November 2010, 15:45   #99
BHPian

So have these problems sorted or not And do they appear on the latest batches or not? I need to purchase a car in the next few weeks, so please reply ASAP.
Old 5th November 2010, 16:18   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashodeep View Post
is the steering rack required to be opened up to replace the yoke spring?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
So have these problems sorted or not And do they appear on the latest batches or not? I need to purchase a car in the next few weeks, so please reply ASAP.
So far the solution provided by Hyundai for rattle is not effective to the majority.

They claim that new batches (Since When? God knows) doesn't have this problem, but then why they are not recalling the defective vehicles for fixing up the issue !!
Old 8th November 2010, 22:26   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes

So far the solution provided by Hyundai for rattle is not effective to the majority.

They claim that new batches (Since When? God knows) doesn't have this problem, but then why they are not recalling the defective vehicles for fixing up the issue !!
I have decided to live with the noise, it does not seem to be getting worse, the car is fine in every other respect, and I would prefer to not let semi trained hands muck around things by doing things that are best left for the factory and the shopfloor!
Old 9th November 2010, 00:35   #102
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need to thank God for a flawless i20. I never had AC issues, suffered only from the Rattle problem which was resolved as you all are aware. Even when I deliberately speed on potholed roads, the car takes the bumps noiselessly.
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:49   #103
BHPian

Attention all!

I have been experiencing the steering rattle since day 1 of getting my car. In addition there is a new kind of rattle from the engine area. After driving the car for about 5 - 8 kms with AC switched on, when you come to a stop with the engine idling in neutral, there is a constant rattle (like a drum roll or a diesel motor) noise coming from the engine area. Inside the car it sounds like a mild fluttering of a fan. Outside the car it sounds like a TATA 407 truck idling. I was utterly flabbergasted to discover this.

During the 1st free service, I had registered my complaint with Hyundai Service Advisor Mr. Sharafat at the Cotton Green workshop in Mumbai. To fix the steering rattle, they attempted to tighten steering lock (yoke spring??) with a screw driver and they actually hammered it tight!

Unfortunately, the engine rattle did not show up on that occasion so they let it be.

Soon after, the steering rattles stopped for exactly 3 days. Then re-appeared with bang! The engine rattle too was persistent. I again rang up the Hyundai board line and asked them to send their technician to check my car. Their technician turned up 2 weeks late after re-scheduling the appointment 3 times over. He acknowledged both issues and just today they got my car picked up for a thorough check. Let's see how it goes. I have warned the workshop service adviser not to change any parts or settings without my approval and all the work has to be done under warranty.

Team, pls give me your collective valuable advice on this.

Yashodeep.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:58   #104
BHPian

Quote:
NOpe. My friend who bought an i20, 2 months back is having the steering rattle and noise/vibration at idle.

The Hyundai service centre has told him the noise/ vibration at idle is the same for all i20's. They even showed him a few other cars with them and all of them were the same.
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:38   #105
BHPian

Special Thanks to Team-BHP and the i20 owners for highlighting this problem and also a speacial thanks to Asset Hyundai Bhandup and Works Manager for getting my steering yoke bush / spring replaced. The rattle has gone and my car feels much better to drive now. Its been a week now and my dad is very happy and so am I too.

Niki.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks