Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 21:45   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Since the last change took place on July 15th, I suppose you haven't got the Urethane Bush and Spring Yoke addition done as these are a latest update.
No, they haven't installed it as they said it was not needed. As I wrote before, the sound seemed to have disappeared in the last rack/tie rod change.

Flashback to first steering rack change. It worked for while and the sound was not there. It returned after the car ran for about 1000 kms. So I am a bit skeptical whether the second rack/tied rod change is actually a permanent solution to the problem.
Old 10th August 2010, 07:22   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk13 : What vnabhi has said is correct. With ABS you do not need to do press-release-press routine. Really best braking occurs just at the point of lock. Press-release-press is simulating working of ABS. But ABS does this faster and efficiently so there is no need of using this routine.
On non ABS cars this is a life saver and must be practised. On empty roads.
Old 10th August 2010, 07:37   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@tsk13 : But ABS does this faster and efficiently so there is no need of using this routine.
I'd say that in an ABS equipped car, the quicker way to stop is to keep the pedal pressed all the time and using the manual routine would actually be counter productive and extend the stopping distance.

I would also say that in the hands of a practiced driver, the manual routine would stop the car a lot quicker than cars using run of the mill mass manufactured ABS systems of the current state of the technology.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Excuse me, why would one need to do that if the car is equipped with ABS?
It was something I experienced for the first time, that's why I shared. I've never experienced ABS in action so I can't really comment on the same.

Quote:
@tsk13 : What vnabhi has said is correct. With ABS you do not need to do press-release-press routine. Really best braking occurs just at the point of lock. Press-release-press is simulating working of ABS. But ABS does this faster and efficiently so there is no need of using this routine.
Thanks a ton Sudev, you virtually made me experience ABS. By the way, can you help me with testing ABS? I just want to experience it on empty roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I'd say that in an ABS equipped car, the quicker way to stop is to keep the pedal pressed all the time and using the manual routine would actually be counter productive and extend the stopping distance.

I would also say that in the hands of a practiced driver, the manual routine would stop the car a lot quicker than cars using run of the mill mass manufactured ABS systems of the current state of the technology.
Thanks for the information, it means for a seasoned driver the manual routine will be more effective over ABS, correct?
Old 11th August 2010, 02:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

So should I go in for a urethane bush change or a tie rod change??

mine does rattle but its barely noticeable and happens on extremely rough stretches of road!

@tsk13 - I experienced ABS once in my i20.

I was cruising at ~80kph on an empty road and suddenly a vehicle pulled up in front of me from a petrol pump on the roadside(he straightaway went to the right most lane!)

I had to brake immediately, I could sense that I was well beyond the tyre locking stage(if it were a non ABS car). No tyre squealing/ screeches.

I'd say it was the perfect emergency braking! I was super impressed!
Old 11th August 2010, 06:45   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

for this thread....

Quote:
Thanks a ton Sudev, you virtually made me experience ABS. By the way, can you help me with testing ABS? I just want to experience it on empty roads.
It is simple. On a empty road just press the brakes fully. You will feel/hear a sort of thudding in the steering/wheels. This is ABS in action. Not on gentle braking but real hard braking.

If you want to experience it more easily then head for a open maidan (dusty hard surface) and try. Since the tyre lock up will occur with much less braking ABS will come in to play much earlier.

In a open maidan you can try braking hard and also steering. To really appreciate the effect of ABS and no ABS one has to disable ABS by removing the fuse that controls ABS. In such a situation the ABS warning light comes on but you can drive the vehicle.

Now you can feel and compare the performance with or without ABS.

It'd be interesting to do this as a group. Game for it? Some Sunday morning?

Quote:
Thanks for the information, it means for a seasoned driver the manual routine will be more effective over ABS, correct?

This debate can rage on and on and on....

For normal driving ABS is the best and even seasoned drivers can "freeze" brakes in a panic. That said rally driving is done without ABS since there are situations where you want wheel lock intentionally. More so when you want only front or rear locking to drift.

Last edited by sudev : 11th August 2010 at 06:47.
Old 11th August 2010, 06:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A qualified yes to that. Lots of drivers seasoned in other ways do not practice emergency braking ( in safe areas ) on different road surfaces to be able to "beat" ABS. If they have done so, they can bring the car to a halt quicker than the ordinary ABS installed in current high volume Indian cars. As the cars get more expensive, the ABS+EBD systems get more sophisticated and better and would be the better stoppers in most cases. And like all technologies, these find their way into cheaper cars over time. So what is true today, will not be tomorrow as these technologies percolate down.
Having done a lot of driving, I find that I am neutral to a A/B/C segment car in terms of whether it has ABS or not. All I need to know before I start driving the car is whether or not it has ABS, to adjust my braking practice accordingly.
Old 11th August 2010, 17:38   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
So should I go in for a urethane bush change or a tie rod change??

mine does rattle but its barely noticeable and happens on extremely rough stretches of road!

@tsk13 - I experienced ABS once in my i20.

I was cruising at ~80kph on an empty road and suddenly a vehicle pulled up in front of me from a petrol pump on the roadside(he straightaway went to the right most lane!)

I had to brake immediately, I could sense that I was well beyond the tyre locking stage(if it were a non ABS car). No tyre squealing/ screeches.

I'd say it was the perfect emergency braking! I was super impressed!
Thanks for the info Sohail. As of now, go for the changes which I've got (if you feel the need). Changing the entire assembly isn't advisable since Hyundai have zeroed on the components which need to be addressed.

Quote:
for this thread....

It is simple. On a empty road just press the brakes fully. You will feel/hear a sort of thudding in the steering/wheels. This is ABS in action. Not on gentle braking but real hard braking.

If you want to experience it more easily then head for a open maidan (dusty hard surface) and try. Since the tyre lock up will occur with much less braking ABS will come in to play much earlier.

In a open maidan you can try braking hard and also steering. To really appreciate the effect of ABS and no ABS one has to disable ABS by removing the fuse that controls ABS. In such a situation the ABS warning light comes on but you can drive the vehicle.

Now you can feel and compare the performance with or without ABS.

It'd be interesting to do this as a group. Game for it? Some Sunday morning?

This debate can rage on and on and on....

For normal driving ABS is the best and even seasoned drivers can "freeze" brakes in a panic. That said rally driving is done without ABS since there are situations where you want wheel lock intentionally. More so when you want only front or rear locking to drift.
Thanks a lot Sudev. I would try it once in person in a safe area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
A qualified yes to that. Lots of drivers seasoned in other ways do not practice emergency braking ( in safe areas ) on different road surfaces to be able to "beat" ABS. If they have done so, they can bring the car to a halt quicker than the ordinary ABS installed in current high volume Indian cars. As the cars get more expensive, the ABS+EBD systems get more sophisticated and better and would be the better stoppers in most cases. And like all technologies, these find their way into cheaper cars over time. So what is true today, will not be tomorrow as these technologies percolate down.
Having done a lot of driving, I find that I am neutral to a A/B/C segment car in terms of whether it has ABS or not. All I need to know before I start driving the car is whether or not it has ABS, to adjust my braking practice accordingly.
Thanks for the info Sawyer.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:08   #69
Senior - BHPian

Saini Hyundai Kolkata has no idea about the AC ECU update / Gas Recharge. I was told no such instructions have come from Hyundai...
Old 21st August 2010, 20:26   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
After having taken my i20 more than eight times to the workshop in the past ten months with this steering rattle issue, all I can say is that the urethane bush/yoke pad installation did not work in my case nor did the initial steering rack replacement.

The rattling sound kept on cropping up again and again. On July 15th,this year, they installed a new steering rack(second time) and changed the tie rod assembly. Though the sound has now gone, I am not sure how long it will hold.
To my utter the steering rattling has returned again.
The steering rack has been changed thrice in the car and still the sound persists. With no permanent solution in sight, I wonder what new "experiment" will be carried out on my car next time when I visit the showroom for the 3rd service. This is so frustrating!!!!
Old 28th August 2010, 21:22   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post

The MDPS (Motor Driven Power steering) and related parts are made by a company called MANDO for Hyundai, so this company should be more worried about.
Now this company (MANDO) comeup with a solution to the steering rattling noise. So i10/i20 owners check it out with your Hyundai A.S.S.

A Special Purpose MM-V Grease ( don't know the abbreviation of this) supplied by this company has to be applied inside the damping coupler of MDPS motor assembly.
Old 28th August 2010, 22:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

^ That means a urethane bush replacement and applying MM-V grease inside damping coupler of MDPS motor is all that needed to eliminate the rattling??
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2010, 22:46   #73
BANNED

^^ There is no bush replacement/adding needed. Just use the MM-V grease.
Old 28th August 2010, 22:51   #74
Senior - BHPian

Nice!! I'll call up my dealership and ask them about it!

I'm guessing they'll have a huge '?' on their heads when I say 'MM-V Grease'!! :(
I hope they have it though!
Old 28th August 2010, 23:42   #75
BHPian

Have heard a lot about the ECM upgrade,
(1) but who all have got it done? and how effective is the AC now
(2) does Capital hyundai ,Noida know about it and wil they do it ? My 1 yr old 1.4 crdi is from them ..
(3) My white crdi is a beauty in all senses ,, except for the AC which is frankly the worst in it's class.
(4) {wrong thread but....} i 've seen these "PLATI" ALLOYS -half white paint half steel finish which will look good on my white crdi. Quoted 10,200 Rs for 4(regular 14" for stock tyres, with exchange). Alloy gods ... is this a good buy ? i took snaps .. will post soon..
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks