Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 22:15   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Attn i20 Owners: Good News | Hyundai's Solution for AC and Rattles

Refer to the first pic posted by sidindica on his thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...c-systems.html

The i20 has the smallest compressor 90 cc... smaller than a 3.5 lac santro!! No wonder the A/c is useless!! The getz had a 155 cc unit!

Also the Verna Fluidic compressor is approx 24 % smaller than the old Verna! (122 cc vs 160 cc) Smart? Increased efficiency? Only time will tell...
AbhiJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:05   #122
Senior - BHPian

For those claim that the A/c issues have been fixed on the i20,specially 2009/2010 models, try switching on the heater on a cold morning. Just see how quickly it heats up the cabin. The "heater" is just as useless as the "cooler" on the i20!!!!!
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 17:42   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95
For those claim that the A/c issues have been fixed on the i20,specially 2009/2010 models, try switching on the heater on a cold morning. Just see how quickly it heats up the cabin. The "heater" is just as useless as the "cooler" on the i20!!!!!
I beg to differ here. My i20 's Heater works perfectly just as in other cars. No complaints here. I guess you should get it checked.
i20 Petrol / Sep 2010 Manufactured.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:02   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
One suggestion from the prospective buyer of i20 who later booked Swift just because of its AC.

I am sure you would know that Heater in car just sucks in hot engine air and circulates it inside. In any car when you cold start the engine it takes a while for the air to warm up. And perhaps that is the reason why you are not getting warm air immediately after you start the engine. What I would suggest, open up the heater a few minutes, may be 5 five minutes or so, after you have switched on the engine and see the temperature inside get pleasant.

But if even doesn't solve your problem, do get in touch with your service centre. He should solve your problem as heating mechanism is not at all a complicated system.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:52   #125
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The heater draws heat from the engine. So unless the engine warms up your heater will not be efficient. This is true for all cars. You could also also put the Heater on with the AC Switch in ON position, this quickens the heating process.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 22:15   #126
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2009 I20 diesel. I have not had any problems with the AC till date. Yes, its not a chiller, but it works well for me. One thing I have found out for effective cooling is to set the auto AC (if you have the asta model) at about 7-8 degrees less than the indicated temperature for about 5-10 mins and then gradually decrease the temperature.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 09:44   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post

I have a 2009 I20 diesel. I have not had any problems with the AC till date. Yes, its not a chiller, but it works well for me. One thing I have found out for effective cooling is to set the auto AC (if you have the asta model) at about 7-8 degrees less than the indicated temperature for about 5-10 mins and then gradually decrease the temperature.
Hey shivasuma I think I couldn't agree more with you on that.

I have not owned an I20 or driven one on a hot day, but have met a bhpian who has done both and how!!
I am referring to Sanjay (Kimified) who owns a 2010 Asta CRDI. We both actually wanted to see what was the fuss all about on the I20 AC thing.

We did this well before either of us read through a post indicating that there was difference of 60cc b/w the 2 compressors.

The thing we realized is that in my Getz, due to its huge compressor, the Air flow is much more and quite powerful even at 'Setting 2'. While in Sanjay's I20, its comparitively less but way more chilled due to Climate control.

P.S - Guys, I am no Hyundai Fanatic but I hate people cribbing about little stuff. I feel as a package, Hyundai Cars are a great deal even if it includes some niggles. I am sure few Ferrari owners might want to change a thing or two on their steads for their liking.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 10:12   #128
BHPian

I have an i20 Diesel November 2010 model. Trust me, ACC at 20 degrees can handle any outside temperature. I have driven it close to 20k km in just over an year and on many hot and humid days too. It takes time to cool the cabin if you park it in direct sunlight, but like someone already mentioned, put the ACC to say 17 or 18 for the first few minutes and then gradually increase it to 20, you will be all fine. Although, the ACC makes a hell lot of noise at 16 or 17 when the blower runs at full speed.

I have infact had my co-passengers complain that its chilling too much at 20 degrees on ACC and have been forced to increase it!
Vikram (Vik0728) actually tried it out on a pretty sunny sunday afternoon sometime back, I remember him asking me to increase the temperature when the ACC was running at 19

PS : I have a Diesel. I had read somewhere that the AC issue is seen only the petrol version. Not too sure on this.
I have the CS5 tints from 3M. It has the maximum heat rejection. Don't really know if that is helping the cooling. But for now, i have nothing to crib about!. For people in Bangalore who are potential buyers and who want to check out the cooling, you are always welcome. Cheers
Old 19th January 2012, 10:41   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
I have an i20 Diesel November 2010 model. Trust me, ACC at 20 degrees can handle any outside temperature. I have driven it close to 20k km in just over an year and on many hot and humid days too. It takes time to cool the cabin if you park it in direct sunlight, but like someone already mentioned, put the ACC to say 17 or 18 for the first few minutes and then gradually increase it to 20, you will be all fine. Although, the ACC makes a hell lot of noise at 16 or 17 when the blower runs at full speed.

I have infact had my co-passengers complain that its chilling too much at 20 degrees on ACC and have been forced to increase it!
Vikram (Vik0728) actually tried it out on a pretty sunny sunday afternoon sometime back, I remember him asking me to increase the temperature when the ACC was running at 19

PS : I have a Diesel. I had read somewhere that the AC issue is seen only the petrol version. Not too sure on this.
I have the CS5 tints from 3M. It has the maximum heat rejection. Don't really know if that is helping the cooling. But for now, i have nothing to crib about!. For people in Bangalore who are potential buyers and who want to check out the cooling, you are always welcome. Cheers

The sun film does play a major role thats why the rear passengers started feeling chilled.Without sun film its good at the front but at back its not adequate.
Old 19th January 2012, 16:28   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
+1 to that. I always adjust the ACC to 21 and it never complains to cool the cabin. However the AC is taking a serious toll on the pulling capacity of the car. Sometimes it just refuses to move on slight inclines with 4 people on board. Have you observed this kind of severe decline in pulling in your car (with 4-5 on board)?

I get a strange smell as soon as the AC is switched ON (Its the kind of smell of mud which you feel when it just starts raining). The smell fades away after 2-3 minutes (Maybe I get used to the smell by that time). This is happening after the second service. Though its not that strong, its quite irritating some times.
Old 19th January 2012, 19:37   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr

+1 to that. I always adjust the ACC to 21 and it never complains to cool the cabin. However the AC is taking a serious toll on the pulling capacity of the car. Sometimes it just refuses to move on slight inclines with 4 people on board. Have you observed this kind of severe decline in pulling in your car (with 4-5 on board)?

I get a strange smell as soon as the AC is switched ON (Its the kind of smell of mud which you feel when it just starts raining). The smell fades away after 2-3 minutes (Maybe I get used to the smell by that time). This is happening after the second service. Though its not that strong, its quite irritating some times.
You have diesel or petrol I20? If diesel then it has sufficient power to pull up an incline. You may have to slip the clutch though. But yes it pulls.

Regarding the smell. Even I get it. Maybe getting the ac cleaned will solve this
Old 19th January 2012, 19:51   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post

Do you have the 5 Speed or the 6 Speed GB?

The 6 speed has some mapping problems which caused it some grief on the inclines. This has been confirmed by the Bosch engineers.
The 5 Spd version came with Bosch ECU while the 6 spd is a Delphi unit.
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it, other than hitting that Power Button (ACC OFF in this case).
Old 19th January 2012, 19:59   #133
Senior - BHPian

So is the steering rattle issue resolved in the 2012 cars atleast ? Last i heard, a few owners complained of the dreaded rattle in their 2011 cars too.

I think AC problem is only with the petrol i20, never heard of anyone complaining of 'weak AC' in the diesel. But not having sufficient torque to go up an incline with the AC on is news to me.
Old 19th January 2012, 22:23   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You have diesel or petrol I20?
Its diesel. Slipping the clutch works in slight inclines, but I literally perform some circus with handbrake and clutch at steep inclines. I had one instance where I asked everybody to get down, switched off the AC and then it moved. A few days later I deliberately took our Omni there but it was a breeze to negotiate the same incline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Do you have the 5 Speed or the 6 Speed GB?

The 6 speed has some mapping problems which caused it some grief on the inclines. This has been confirmed by the Bosch engineers.
The 5 Spd version came with Bosch ECU while the 6 spd is a Delphi unit.
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it, other than hitting that Power Button (ACC OFF in this case).
Its a 6 speed GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
But not having sufficient torque to go up an incline with the AC on is news to me.
I face this pulling issue only when starting from a complete standstill at steep inclines with 4-5 people on board. Maybe its due to the mapping issue as said by aqualeo2040.

I don't have any issues with i20 other than this.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 19th January 2012 at 22:40.
Old 20th January 2012, 08:48   #135
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I am not convinced about the heater part, specially in my car. It take a an awfully long amount to time to heat up( specially the rear), just like how the i20's A/C takes an awfully long time to cool on hot days. AS someone said, may be I must get it checked. But I am not hopeful. The A/C now works "brilliantly", now that the outside temperature hovers around 18-19 degrees C. It will again start showing its true colours in April-May, when the heater would again start working efficiently and the cooler would become hopeless again !!!

The ACC in my old Swift ZXi was quite good and did the job well, whether to was to heat up the cabin in 7-8 degrees C or cool it in 40+ degrees C . I never had sunfilm installed on my Swift.

A friend of mine observed that hyundai had slightly changed the design of the A/C vents in the i20 facelift models and it may have helped to some extent in reducing a/c issues.

Someone posted above how people "crib" about little issues. Well, after spending more than 6.5 lacs on the car ( and the payable loan interest amount, if one has taken a loan), one expects the car to be upto certain standards!!!! One does not expect to have a pathetic steering design that has an unrepairable rattle and has suffered from a EPS malfunction in the middle of the road, and has a weak A/c. These are certainly not "little" issues. One certainly can't be expected to sing praises about these issues!!!

Sure Hyundai bought many never before seen features in the segment, but what the major issues that so many have been facing? What's the use of having ACC if can't control the cabin temperature efficiently? What's the use of "new thinking, new possibilities" when you can't even fix problems in your "old" customers cars?

Besides, I am not the only one who is complaining about how Hyundai treats its customers who face recurring issues with their cars/ dealership. What about that? Its not called cribbing, but venting out one's frustration against a an arrogant & deaf company like Hyundai.

After spending that huge amount on the car, having faced so many troubles with the car and having seen Hyundai's naked arrogance, if one doesn't feels disappointed, then he must me a very rich guy who can change cars like clothes. I am not as rich and want value for my money, hence this long fight against Hyundai( and its rotten dealership in Junagadh), who have treated me and my car like dirt.

No offence meant to anyone.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 20th January 2012 at 08:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks