Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 00:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Attn i20 Owners: Good News | Hyundai's Solution for AC and Rattles

All those who've been distressed with poor Airconditioning (only very limited cars have this issue) and unusual rattling, here's a reason to cheer. My brother informed me that Hyundai has provided solutions for these two issues, the same have been taken care by Rishabh Hyundai in his 2009 i20 Asta (Petrol) although the car never had AC issues but the rattle was there sometimes.

For AC problems, Hyundai has suggested "i20 ECM reprogramme for AC performance enhancement" and for tackling the rattles, they've told to 'Add Urethane Pad & Yoke Spring for Noise.' The latter has got to do something with the steering assembly, no further details available.

After the concerned updates and additions were done, there has been considerable improvement in the cooling even though my i20 never had AC issues and the unusual rattles (particularly over potholes and bumpy roads) have disappeared. The steering will be a bit heavy/ tight for about 100-150 kms as the Spring will take time to adjust.

Please note that the AC solution offered by Hyundai is applicable only to select batch of i20's (My'n is June 2009 make). Moreover, the solution for rattle is only meant for those owners who face this problem.

During this entire process, my brother also got activated the autolock feature (at 40km/h). At one point, they messed up with G-Scan (during AC re-correction) and the ECU went blank. The car refused to start, this led to frantic search for the cause. Everytime they connected the G-Scan, it showed Connection Fail. Eventually, call was made to Hyundai (don't know where, HMP or factory) and they guided the Service Center guys to resolve the issue. The reason told was that while re-programming the AC, G-Scan or ECU hanged and as a result ECU lost all data. Thank God, Hyundai was able to guide them telephonically and the issue was resolved else Rishabh Hyundai guys were prepared to replace the ECU as the last resort.

Before I conclude, I would like to guide all the new i20 owners to this wonderful ownership thread by Wildon (The i20 and VIN decoding Expert): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sta-1-2-a.html . This thread has great information about the car, something like 'right from the makers'.

Attached is the picture of the document which was enclosed with the feedback form. This is the source of all the technical names discussed here.

Moreover, those old i20 owners who're looking for the Chrome Garnish for front grille, it's available for Rs.1,600.
Attached Thumbnails
Attn i20 Owners: Good News | Hyundai's Solution for AC and Rattles-i20.jpg  

Old 4th August 2010, 01:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

That's real quick for Hyundai to respond. I Love Hyundai for this kind of responsiveness. Maruti Swift owners(Including me when i had Swift) have been complaining ever since about rattles and Fiat Punto owners(Including me) have lots of small niggling issues, but both these companies do not have any solutions apart from just assurances.
Old 4th August 2010, 01:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

I had sent my car today for the rattling issue and they fixed the noise with addition of urethane pad and spring...

Now lets see how long the fix lasts...
Old 4th August 2010, 06:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

i20 is complete hatch now

I guess the only two issues with the car have been finally resolved.
i20 is perhaps the perfect hatch with minimum niggles and maximum features for that price.
Old 4th August 2010, 09:04   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
For AC problems, Hyundai has suggested "i20 ECM reprogramme for AC performance enhancement" and for tackling the rattles, they've told to 'Add Urethane Pad & Yoke Spring for Noise.' The latter has got to do something with the steering assembly, no further details available.
When it was done, as i have not heard about this from my service center. Regarding rattle they have changed Steering Gear Assembly in my car now, and sound is vanished now.But others had gone through this and now saying that rattle came back after doing some k.m's.

Quote:
After the concerned updates and additions were done, there has been considerable improvement in the cooling even though my i20 never had AC issues and the unusual rattles (particularly over potholes and bumpy roads) have disappeared. The steering will be a bit heavy/ tight for about 100-150 kms as the Spring will take time to adjust.
What about the power now after this enhancement. Is it the same? or you feel any loss of power when you switch ON the a/c while driving.

Quote:
Please note that the AC solution offered by Hyundai is applicable only to select batch of i20's (My'n is June 2009 make). Moreover, the solution for rattle is only meant for those owners who face this problem.
Will have a check on that whether my car falls into that list or not.

Thanks for the updates tsk13.

Edit: I saw the replacement of Thermistor Assembly. Is your car shown any Error code while self diagnostic test of FATC?

Last edited by wildon : 4th August 2010 at 09:08. Reason: more info.
Old 4th August 2010, 09:36   #6
BHPian

The AC is a pain for almost all i20s. I know many people facing the issue in 2010 models also.
Old 4th August 2010, 09:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good move by Hyundai & hopefully its a foolproof solution rather than a temporary one.

Out of curiosity, Can someone pls explain how the AC performance is tuned through the ECM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
That's real quick for Hyundai to respond. I Love Hyundai for this kind of responsiveness.
Probably. because you haven't gone to Sunrise Hyundai.
Old 4th August 2010, 10:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thats a good move by Hyundai & hopefully its a foolproof solution rather than a temporary one.

Out of curiosity, Can someone pls explain how the AC performance is tuned through the ECM ?

Probably. because you haven't gone to Sunrise Hyundai.
Lol..sunrise go to hell..but hyundai has sent me an e-mail (Mr. Vishal) and sincerely apologised for the incident and lambasted the sunrise guys for the same.....well done on hyundai's part.

But that looks like a technical service bulletin.
And in queries on how does ECU retuning affects the AC performance, all the electrical functions of the car is done by the ECU. Cooling blower speed, air flow optimization etc is all done by that.

I will call up capital hyundai and ask them about it. They surely have received this too, as all other hyundai service centers.
Old 4th August 2010, 10:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

I thought AC issues can be resolved through the ECM only when an ACC is present. Is is the case or is the manual ac also connected through the ECU...?

@Mods:Please del. Cannot report post through mobile

Great move by Hyundai. I thought AC issues can be resolved through the ECM only when an ACC is present. Is this the case or is the manual ac also connected through the ECU...?

Last edited by Eddy : 4th August 2010 at 11:28. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 4th August 2010, 10:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I had sent my car today for the rattling issue and they fixed the noise with addition of urethane pad and spring...

Now lets see how long the fix lasts...

Abhij - which service center did you visit? I shall then take my car to that center as I have the rattling steering problem (or ask my nearest service center to call them and verify).
Old 4th August 2010, 13:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Abhij - which service center did you visit? I shall then take my car to that center as I have the rattling steering problem (or ask my nearest service center to call them and verify).
Saini Hyundai. Always send my car there...

I gave my S.A. a call about the rattling on saturday evening, and he called for the car on tuesday morning. The work was done and car was released within 2 hrs.
Old 4th August 2010, 14:17   #12
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat has issued a similar solution for the Petrol Lineas that face an AC problem, this of course solves the issue but also results in drop in fuel effeciency. Am sure that this drop in fuel effeciency may be seen in the I20 too post ECU update.

Now all the I20 needs is better brakes for the 1.4 diesel, an ECU reprogram for the power stearing to weigh it down at speeds, and a better tuned suspension for a firmer highway ride.
Old 4th August 2010, 14:35   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Mine is a june 2010 manufactured i20 CRDi.So is the AC solution applicable to my car too??

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 4th August 2010 at 14:38.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Just now called up Blue hyundai service center and they have confirmed this.The SA also mentioned that by default the AC comes with 350 grams of refrigerant gas.And they have been instructed to put top it up to 430.Guys confirm this matter also with your hyundai service centers.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
What about the power now after this enhancement. Is it the same? or you feel any loss of power when you switch ON the a/c while driving.

Will have a check on that whether my car falls into that list or not.

Thanks for the updates tsk13.

Edit: I saw the replacement of Thermistor Assembly. Is your car shown any Error code while self diagnostic test of FATC?
Wildon, I'm yet to drive the car but in the initial run of about 8 Kms post-changes, my brother didn't notice any loss of power.

Regarding Thermistor Assembly, I'm not aware of any error code or so. They were doing hit and tries and what is this assembly all about?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks