Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2017, 19:53   #12241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
Not sure about if 16L is a right price for 2015 CRV.
Why not look at a new Jeep Compass at a slightly higher budget? :-)
Petrol AT of Compass is 21 on road, and does not have 6 airbags, sunroof and cruise control, all of which the CRV has. Plus I think CRV will be much cheaper to maintain in the long run? And may also have more space. I checked out the Compass and it has almost the same space as of Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilot View Post
Yes. That's a good suggestion. The Jeep Compass seems a better bet as it's a new launch and equipped with 2.0 MJD. Think about the diesel advantage.
Looking only for the automatic, hence the dilemma.
Old 7th August 2017, 19:55   #12242
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Well I don't know if I should be posting this in this particular thread but her it goes. I own a Maruti Zen Lx (1999) with all papers clean (re-registration and green tax paid on time) and valid till 2019. Insurance PUC was renewed this month for 4k. The car was bought in 2013 from 2nd owner for me to learn driving and I fell in love with this simple yet elegant machine. The previous owner maintained the car well so it gave me no troubles till 2015 or so and I could easily take it off for 600-700 kms long drives without a thought. But I couldn't keep up with the maintenance of this aging beauty and have been facing the consequences since early 2016. The battery died suddenly, brakes failed while on highway due to brake oil leakage after a long period of no running, messed up carb tuning after recent service, sporadic decrease in FE from 15+ to 7-8 kmpl after a service and finally the car refused to start yesterday (electrical problem) for the first time since I have had her. The beauty of the matter is that the car is seemingly very simple to fix and I have managed to get it repaired with any local mechanic for the aforementioned issues in no time and a fraction of cost. The drive is rattling and bumpy with much of the metal appearing rusted. The interiors are next to gone as well. The only reasons which is making me stick to it is it is my first set of wheels hence the emotional attachment and the darn good engine. I've driven many modern cars but somehow the satisfaction i get with Zen engine is something different which can't be explained in words. Agreed, the engine is not fast or smoothest compared to latest offerings but it still does its job without a fuss.

Coming to the dilemma, lot of my relatives and friends are advising me to get rid of it and get something new instead since they are aware about the issues in car. I know there a dozens of old zens out there on sale for very low amount (read 30-50 k) and I don't expect anything beyond that but I'm simply not able to convince myself to part with her or spend as much as her current resale to potentially get her back in shape after a restoration. The way I see it, following are my options in no particular order.

1. Sell it in used market for atleast for some decent sum considering it is still in working condition with all papers clear and insurance valid for one year.
2. Exchange it for a new Maruti or other car in hope of getting better value for it with exchange/loyalty bonus than the resale value
3. Scrap it which will be probably the least of hassles going by Team BHP thread on the subject and also probably the most economically bad option.
4. Keep her and deal with her increasingly occasional tantrums although I can really only consider using her for those short within city runs

Not considering restoration as an option as I don't see myself as a guy to keep up with the restoration or the problems, if any after that. I'd consider to go for a new much safer car small car (Figo, Baleno, Polo, Liva etc) for the safety of the occupants and fellow motorists/pedestrians out there.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated on this.
Old 7th August 2017, 22:03   #12243
BHPian

If you have decided to buy a new car, this is your best option. I remember one of my friend had exchanged his Dad's old Fiat not in working condition for a new wagon R, that time the exchange bonus was 60 K, he got 5 K for the old car which had to be towed to them but he ended up getting a 60 K off on the new car. Think about it.
zulfi hansi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 22:33   #12244
Senior - BHPian

I want to sell my Alto K10 VXI 2011 March,Single owner,with CNG Kit installed,Alloy wheels,Twin din music system,wider tyres,new battery,comprehensive insurance up to March 2018.scratchless condition,superior white,55000 kms.1 complimentry free service from Fort Point motors.I am expecting 2,30000/-,,,
Old 8th August 2017, 12:31   #12245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
If you have decided to buy a new car, this is your best option. I remember one of my friend had exchanged his Dad's old Fiat not in working condition for a new wagon R, that time the exchange bonus was 60 K, he got 5 K for the old car which had to be towed to them but he ended up getting a 60 K off on the new car. Think about it.
I agree with that. That's a fantastic deal you friend got. If I get anything close to that, I think I'll be sold. I'm planning to evaluate this option soon with Nexa/Maruti dealers.
Old 8th August 2017, 13:25   #12246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
I agree with that. That's a fantastic deal you friend got. If I get anything close to that, I think I'll be sold. I'm planning to evaluate this option soon with Nexa/Maruti dealers.
Your timing is also good, the exchange bonuses will only go up in the months to come towards December. If you are willing to buy S-Cross the discounts are already crazy, they want to move the stocks before the face-lift comes in around Diwali. Even otherwise all the car companies have some exchange
bonus, but Maruti and Hyundai I think are the highest, especially on their low selling cars.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 19:01   #12247
BHPian

One of my colleague is looking at buying a petrol Hyundai Grand i10 Asta, which is 2 year old and has done 8000 kms. The quoted price is 5.3 lakhs.

Request inputs on if the price is right.
Old 8th August 2017, 19:12   #12248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
One of my colleague is looking at buying a petrol Hyundai Grand i10 Asta, which is 2 year old and has done 8000 kms. The quoted price is 5.3 lakhs.

Request inputs on if the price is right.
Anything around 4.5L is a good price for a well maintained 2015 Grand i10 Asta.
Old 8th August 2017, 19:42   #12249
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Need your valuable suggestions.

We are in the hunt of a second car and we already have a Ciaz ZDi+ May 2017 model. Intend to use the second one for 3 ~ 4 years. The second one needs to be an Automatic, Sedan and a used one with a budget up-to 8 lakhs. On our hunt in recent one week the most available ones in Bangalore are

2009 ~ 2012 Cruze LTZ
2010 ~ 2012 Honda City V CVT
2010 ~ 2013 Hyundai Verna 1.6 pertol / diesel

Looks like it is the best time to buy used Cruze but then we are worried on maintenance, is it worth the risk? Will serviceability be a problem even if Mahindra takes over. On City - we haven't used a petrol car in our family yet, what will be the real mileage in Bangalore considering the fact we need to travel close to 40 Kms a day in Outer Ring Road? No doubt on reliability here.

On Verna - Both me and wife didn't really like the way the Transmission behaved. But is has a good refined engine though.

Vento / Rapid diesel AT which is on top of out preference list is hard to find at least in Bangalore

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th August 2017 at 09:10. Reason: Formatting
Old 8th August 2017, 21:55   #12250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Anything around 4.5L is a good price for a well maintained 2015 Grand i10 Asta.
Thanks buddy. Will try to negotiate and see how far we can bring out down.
Old 9th August 2017, 08:24   #12251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
On City - we haven't used a petrol car in our family yet, what will be the real mileage in Bangalore considering the fact we need to travel close to 40 Kms a day in Outer Ring Road? No doubt on reliability here.
It is reasonably thrifty and the Outer Ring Road is generally OK for free flowing traffic except the usual jam points like Silk Board.

Remember a petrol car costs less new than a diesel so you will get it a bit cheaper than a comparable used diesel model. Factor that in when you look at fuel savings.

Last edited by hserus : 9th August 2017 at 08:30.
Old 9th August 2017, 08:52   #12252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Remember a petrol car costs less new than a diesel so you will get it a bit cheaper than a comparable used diesel model. Factor that in when you look at fuel savings.
Thank you for that.
You are spot on in saying that, in used car market the difference between a petrol and diesel is minimal for a same model year vehicles if the mileage on the vehicle is kept apart. And this suits more for reliable brand or and model.

Any comments on investing 7 Lakhs on a 2011 Cruze LTZ Automatic used around 50K? This one is from Mahindra Choice and the sales assistant assures about serviceability by Mahindra for another 15 years

Cheers!
Old 9th August 2017, 15:32   #12253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Any comments on investing 7 Lakhs on a 2011 Cruze LTZ Automatic used around 50K? This one is from Mahindra Choice and the sales assistant assures about serviceability by Mahindra for another 15 years
I don't think so. Reason - It is a 6 year old car that ran out of production, when compounded with dubious service & spares support, it is not worth it. Somewhere around 4 Lakhs may be worth it, that too if you have a good network of FNG's, sources to arrange the spares. Besides you would have no takers if you plan to sell it after 2-3 years of use.

Considering your usage of 40km daily commute,a petrol automatic should suffice unless you get a Vento/Rapid diesel with DSG for the same price(which is highly unlikely). Honda City CVT is a better and safe option, if not the best.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 9th August 2017 at 15:34.
Old 9th August 2017, 16:10   #12254
BHPian

Guys, I'm planning to buy a used Verna AT. I'm getting a 2014 SX AT diesel and a 2016 S Petrol AT, both at around 8 Lakhs. Any suggestions on which I should chose from?
  • I'm a little skeptic about the latter as it is only 9 month old and has run only 3700 kms. The seller says he's selling because he needs money for some property purchase. Somehow I think there could be something fishy here.
  • I also think that this still is better buy than the 2014 model, given that its still under warranty and newer face lifted variant too.
  • On the other hand, 2014 model (with 21k on the odo) is the SX diesel model with better features.
Advise please.

Fun Fact: 2014 SX AT diesel has a Team BHP sticker on it

Last edited by meetgds : 9th August 2017 at 16:20. Reason: Just Realized
Old 9th August 2017, 16:21   #12255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
  • I'm a little skeptic about the latter as it is only 9 month old and has run only 3700 kms. The seller says he's selling because he needs money for some property purchase. Somehow I think there could be something fishy here.
Advise please.
The petrol verna isn't a very fuel efficient car, hence it isn't a market mover and has comparatively lesser resale, which might be the reason for a low quote. Only a mechanic can assess the condition of the car. In all it boils down to your usage pattern if it warrants a diesel or a petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks