Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 09:21   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
I love american cars too for their honesty. Big fat v8 drink a lot of fuel and deliver a lot of power. Here's what I DONT LIKE THEM FOR.
THEY Don't sound that great AT ALL. A BIG FAT RUMBLY V8.
An f430 has a v8 its sounds PHENOMENAL. Its just the whole package that doesn't appeal. This car looks like its right out of a Pimp My Ride program.
I am not in love with american cars, just few good ones..i am not too thrilled with this particular car in Q and i agree that F430 and the italians just sound phenomenal and this car seems to be kit car rather than a production ready version.

BUT...

Quote:
sure they dont' but they dont need even a year before its time to take it to a mechanic. Try making it production friendly. Also lets see in a few years time how each of these cars gearboxes will perform. If they'll breakdown or if they'll live upto the beating.
I'm not doubting the capability. But lets not make a judgement quite yet. Also, if u'r happy with american cars so much...i'm sure u'r mechanic will be really happy with your frequent visits to him so often becoz that dam v8 just died because of a head gasket blowing or auto - tranny failing.
this is not a fact, infact its the italians with the issues overall, ask any owner, ferraris were always notorious for their issues, older(and to some degree newer ones as well)lambos too, so really to say that an american would brake down more often than an italian is really not true..porsche is probably the only high end brand with much less issues, but the italians are extremely notorious...

This is old time talk and times have changes for all of them, americans have gotten better and so have the italians...i still think italians would fair worse than americans in engine building(% wise, we dont get to hear about it because one they are rare and 2 owners usually dont come online too often and claim their 300,000 $ car just broke down, some do, but its a known fact dont be buying an italian out of its warranty period else, be prepaid for a troublesome time)

but then again, i dont like this particular car at all but just wanted to clarify..

Last edited by 1Day : 20th April 2007 at 09:25.
Old 20th April 2007, 09:48   #137
BHPian

Quote:
I love american cars too for their honesty. Big fat v8 drink a lot of fuel and deliver a lot of power. Here's what I DONT LIKE THEM FOR.
THEY Don't sound that great AT ALL. A BIG FAT RUMBLY V8.
An f430 has a v8 its sounds PHENOMENAL. Its just the whole package that doesn't appeal. This car looks like its right out of a Pimp My Ride program.
the cars ain't the best sounding machines but i will take the sound of a long block over any sound its a personal choice.

Quote:
sure they dont' but they dont need even a year before its time to take it to a mechanic. Try making it production friendly. Also lets see in a few years time how each of these cars gearboxes will perform. If they'll breakdown or if they'll live upto the beating.
I'm not doubting the capability. But lets not make a judgement quite yet. Also, if u'r happy with american cars so much...i'm sure u'r mechanic will be really happy with your frequent visits to him so often becoz that dam v8 just died because of a head gasket blowing or auto - tranny failing.
those cars have gone those were during the old car ages but the cars coming out sure don't have these problems that the older cars had.i really doubt that say some of the biggest car company's or the biggest car company are American car company's surely they would have over looked the problem of the a/t or the head gasket.they may not have the reliablity of a jap car but are surely getting close to that.
Old 20th April 2007, 19:14   #138
Senior - BHPian

American's finding an answer, how uncommon is that? The only serious question they raised was with the original Pony cars which the world did not seem to bother answering.
Old 20th April 2007, 23:18   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
the cars ain't the best sounding machines but i will take the sound of a long block over any sound its a personal choice.

those cars have gone those were during the old car ages but the cars coming out sure don't have these problems that the older cars had.
you need to read a few more hot rod magazines to understand what the difference between short/long block and small/big block is.

dont tell me the problems with the new cars have gone. The Ford GT is the most-recalled supercar of all time. Get your facts straight. In the past 10 years, American cars have had more recalls than German, Japanese and other European cars put together, so dont give out this crap. yeah they have improved but there still are enough problems to warrant calling them unreliable.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 20th April 2007 at 23:21.
Old 20th April 2007, 23:33   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
you need to read a few more hot rod magazines to understand what the difference between short/long block and small/big block is.
i do know the difference between the small block an a long block i only put a long block because they have larger displacement say a 500ci.

long block-engine with cylinder heads-usually includes crankshaft,camshaft and piston.

small block-engine with out the heads.-usually does not include oil pan,valve cover and manifold.

agree the cars surely do have a lot of recalls but i didnt say the cars were the best or most perfect cars there is with no problem as of such.
they have improved from the older cars and ill keep improving but might not be able to take the jap cars on the reliablity part or for that matter a euro car.

Last edited by pawan : 20th April 2007 at 23:42.
Old 21st April 2007, 00:39   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i do know the difference between the small block an a long block i only put a long block because they have larger displacement say a 500ci.

long block-engine with cylinder heads-usually includes crankshaft,camshaft and piston.

small block-engine with out the heads.-usually does not include oil pan,valve cover and manifold.
ENNNK! Wrong answer, kid.

small block (or mouse motor) - GM V8 with bore spacing of 4.5" or less

big block (or rat motor) - GM V8 with bore spacing of 4.8" or more

short block - engine block with rotating assembly

long block - block, rotating assembly and cylinder head assembly sold in assembled form also known as a crate engine.

FYI, I've been a bigger fan of hotrods and american car culture since longer than you think. Devoured every major hotrodding magazine namely Hot Rod, Street Machine & All Chevy that came out between 1994 & 2002. Even met and spoke with many avid hotrodders after coming here. But not anymore. Not a fan of Americana anymore.

BTW dont bother checking if I came up with the above definitions from wikipedia or somewhere else. i've read about it and seen it so many times I just cant get it out of my head.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 21st April 2007 at 00:42.
Old 21st April 2007, 00:52   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ENNNK! Wrong answer, kid.
Really, I have nothing against either of you, and I'm a proud owner of some Mopar myself, but can you stop calling him kid? I don't like forms of address, esp denigrating ones, that rely on age.

Probably done it myself though...
Old 21st April 2007, 02:50   #143
Senior - BHPian

but he is one. i am not denigrating him at all. just like some people call me old LOL. pawan i mean no ill-will man you know that.
Old 21st April 2007, 04:03   #144
BHPian

Quote:
blaze take a chill pill man these american car enthusiasts are hardcore and they wont understand the truth till they get here and an American car breaks down on them.
Dude you're soooo right.
I once drove with an office colleague in his pontiac sunfire from indianapolis to cincinatti which is a two hour drive. his car had 9000 miles on it.

After driving for 1/2 hour on this hot summer afternoon his cars dashboard lit up like the "vegas strip" !!
EVERYTHING WAS ON. ABS, TCS, ENGINE OIL, BRAKE FLUID. O MY GOD. He finally sold it earlier this year to settle for a used honda civic which had 120K on it. See even a 120K civic is more reliable than a production car that has 9K on it. Man this is a production car mass produced it has to get better by the year. Instead by the last production year they make sure that all the warning lights start coming on. LOL....
Old 21st April 2007, 04:11   #145
BHPian

Quote:
they may not have the reliablity of a jap car but are surely getting close to that.
I actually acknowledge their effort of trying to improve the quality of their cars. Albeit its a bit TOO late but better late than never. The Ford Fusion or Mercury Milan for instance have great build quality etc. etc.
Well good luck to them. I hope they make them as reliable as the japanese before having their companies for sale. The "big" three my friend ....are in for

"BIGGG" Trouble.
Old 21st April 2007, 10:09   #146
BHPian

the difference between the long block an small block is what i have hear it was say it once on the history channel and this is what they told read this across the internet a couple of times to.
Old 21st April 2007, 12:43   #147
BHPian

there are lot of definitions of a small block and a long block to one of which is what you said ananth and the most common definition i have read is

A small block refers to the actual size of a V8 engine.

A long block is a mechanic's/machinist's term that refers to an assembled engine without accessories.

is another definition of the difference between small block and long block.

there are many more differences that are there to.

all of the definitions add to the differences between small block and long block and if you open up one you would find the different parts i mentioned in my earlier post.

one more of the major difference was the sizes that was until they bought out the 400 ci block.

there are many more differences that go in the small block and a long block.

Last edited by pawan : 21st April 2007 at 12:52.
Old 21st April 2007, 22:45   #148
Senior - BHPian

you just dont learn do you. i make the effort to give out the right technical meaning and you give out this crap of different definitions. each one to himself my man.
Old 21st April 2007, 22:51   #149
BHPian

Quote:
you just dont learn do you. i make the effort to give out the right technical meaning and you give out this crap of different definitions. each one to himself my man.
thank you for giving that definition i pointed out some of the difference between the small block and a long block which i cant say is the right definition.and no offense meant through my earlier posts.
Old 21st April 2007, 23:09   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post

Probably done it myself though...
Guilty.

.................................................. .....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks