Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 21:32   #286
Senior - BHPian

Vivek, any updates? Have you checked out some cars?
Old 1st October 2009, 00:02   #287
Senior - BHPian

not yet, there are some Jeeps around that I have picked, but not seen them yet. choice is really limited because of automatic transmission preference. As of now wrangler seems to be the preferred car( who would have thought I would call a jeep, car).

Not to mention DMV appointments are booked for most of the weekends for the wifey's test.

EDIT: Jay, awsome car you have there. I drove a maroon mustang to florida and except for the noise, it really felt good driving it.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 1st October 2009 at 00:03.
Old 13th February 2010, 15:23   #288
BHPian

Used vehicle in Detroit

Hello all,

Need your suggestions here.

I am moving to Detroit on a long term assignment in the first week of March.My place of work would be Dearborn.I am planning to take accomodation either at Farmington Hills or Troy - both these places would be roughly around 20 miles from the place of work.

I am looking to buy something used around a budget of 7k and the max I can stretch to is 8k.Anything more than this is NOT possible at all.

My family includes my wife and 5 month infant.I would be commuting around 45miles\day.I am more inclined towards a small SUV,not too concerned about US or Jap brands as long as the car is reliable.

What are the options that could be considered in the small SUV segment \ In case its going to be a US brand,then whats the odo reading that I can consider as a ceiling(Say less than 60k miles etc).Within the budget specified,will it be possible to get a clean small SUV?
Old 9th March 2010, 15:43   #289
BHPian

Used cars around Philly, NY

One of my friend currently is Philly is looking to buy a used car. his budget is around 7-8K.
The few options he has decided upon is
1) VW Passat
2) Mustang
3) Tiburon

I know it may sound a wierd choice of cars, suggestions are welcome.
He also is considering the re-sale since he might be using the car for another 2yrs max.

Also what mileage should he be looking at.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:11   #290
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Kraft.wagen, what is your friend's driving skill level? Philly has a good amount of snow, conditions in which a novice driver can be caught out in a RWD. FWD / AWD are best.

I see he wants to go different (read = no Camcords L)), thus would recommend a well depreciated car. Avoid the Passat, suspect reliability + expensive upkeep costs. The Tiburon seems alright, yet I'd add a Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 GT to that list too.
Old 10th March 2010, 11:22   #291
Senior - BHPian

kraft.wagen - ask your friend to get the tiburon. Its a Hyundai in US, so he should get it quite cheap - but also don't expect great resale.
VW maintenance is expensive in US.
Old 10th March 2010, 14:37   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kraft.wagen, what is your friend's driving skill level? Philly has a good amount of snow, conditions in which a novice driver can be caught out in a RWD. FWD / AWD are best.

I see he wants to go different (read = no Camcords L)), thus would recommend a well depreciated car. Avoid the Passat, suspect reliability + expensive upkeep costs. The Tiburon seems alright, yet I'd add a Mitsubishi Eclipse V6 GT to that list too.
Thanks GTO.
He is an absolute novice. He is just learning to drive, has probably driven a couple of times in India. Would suggest the two options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
kraft.wagen - ask your friend to get the tiburon. Its a Hyundai in US, so he should get it quite cheap - but also don't expect great resale.
VW maintenance is expensive in US.
Thanks blackasta.

Even I wasn't too keen on VW, suggested him to pick a Civic/Accord. Now shall add Eclipse to his list.
Old 10th March 2010, 15:12   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Thanks GTO.
He is an absolute novice. He is just learning to drive, has probably driven a couple of times in India. Would suggest the two options.

Thanks blackasta.

Even I wasn't too keen on VW, suggested him to pick a Civic/Accord. Now shall add Eclipse to his list.
Civic/Accord are the cheapest to maintain so its a wise choice. Plus they give astounding mileage. I guess over 30MPG

7-8K i guess you mean the Jetta as i doubt you will get a not so old passat for that price.

My sister used to drive a passat in Boston for 5 years and it served her well but she did also have to spend a bag of moolah on its maintenance
Old 10th March 2010, 15:31   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Civic/Accord are the cheapest to maintain so its a wise choice. Plus they give astounding mileage. I guess over 30MPG

7-8K i guess you mean the Jetta as i doubt you will get a not so old passat for that price.

My sister used to drive a passat in Boston for 5 years and it served her well but she did also have to spend a bag of moolah on its maintenance
You are right - Japanese imports (Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda) command the most value in US used car market. They are almost indestructible!
I bought a Mazda 626 @ 81K miles, and drove it for 23K miles in 15 months before coming back.
Maintenance included only changing one of the front axles and both brake pads, excluding regular oil change.
My colleague & earlier room mate is still driving it - and no problems whatsoever (mileage is over 120K miles now).
Same is the case with 2 other colleagues and their Nissan Altima.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:06   #295
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Kraft.Wagen,

Philadelphia ! My home from 2005-end 2009!! I'd advise him against buying the car if he lives in Centre city or anywhere close to the city; public trasnsport is quite good and cars often get broken into in North Philly/West Philly. Does he live out in the suburbs, King Of Prussia, Main Line etc ? If yes, its a lot safer to own a car around there but not so much in the city. Philadelphia Parking Authority (PPA) issues parking tickets like distributing mithai in Diwali, I'd know because I've paid more than $200 in parking tickets (after which I started contesting the tickets and never paid for any).

Tell him to be careful while parking on the street too, people have a habit of parking wayyyyyyy too close and end up kissing the bumpers all the time. If he's a novice I'd advise him to go w/ the usual civic/corolla simply because they're cheap to maintain and don't depreciate, in my friend's case, he actually made money over a corolla that he bought, used for 7000miles and sold it off. Mazda 3 is another good option, car is very reliable and good on gas too.

Sorry for the bigggg postt but Philly brought back memories
Old 10th March 2010, 17:33   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Quote:
You are right - Japanese imports (Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda) command the most value in US used car market. They are almost indestructible!
I bought a Mazda 626 @ 81K miles, and drove it for 23K miles in 15 months before coming back.
Maintenance included only changing one of the front axles and both brake pads, excluding regular oil change.
My colleague & earlier room mate is still driving it - and no problems whatsoever (mileage is over 120K miles now).
Same is the case with 2 other colleagues and their Nissan Altima.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Kraft.Wagen,

Philadelphia !

If he's a novice I'd advise him to go w/ the usual civic/corolla simply because they're cheap to maintain and don't depreciate, in my friend's case, he actually made money over a corolla that he bought, used for 7000miles and sold it off. Mazda 3 is another good option, car is very reliable and good on gas too.
Sorry for the bigggg postt but Philly brought back memories

Thanks a lot folks.

He was a bit concerned over the Accord and Civic since it was costing him over 10k.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 10th March 2010 at 17:35.
Old 10th March 2010, 18:39   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot folks.

He was a bit concerned over the Accord and Civic since it was costing him over 10k.
One can buy an old jap with some basic checks. My car was a 1998 model and I got it on Jan 2008 with 81K+ miles on odo. I got it for $3800+tax (around 4400 on road)
Old 10th March 2010, 19:11   #298
BHPian

Quote:
One can buy an old jap with some basic checks. My car was a 1998 model and I got it on Jan 2008 with 81K+ miles on odo. I got it for $3800+tax (around 4400 on road)
Oh thats would be quite a nice price if he gets something in that range. Not sure where/which sites he is checking
Old 11th March 2010, 11:17   #299
BHPian

My friend has see a Hyundai Tiburon GT 2004 model with 84k miles, quoted at $6800. KBB sugests lower, so he will be negotiating this price.

Which are the sites where one can look at for used cars other than craiglist?
Old 11th March 2010, 11:18   #300
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot folks.

My kid brother just bought a clean '98 Accord with 80,000 miles for $3,000 odd.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks