Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 02:54   #241
Team-BHP Support

Jeep Jeep Jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
ok guys, looks like I will be buying another car again. Basically change of plans in life.

I want to stay lower than 10K, but can make an exception. I even thought about smart-for-two, but when it snows, it will be stuck at the driveway.

Wish I had a weather for riding a bike thruout the year
How about a Honda Civic Si Sedan? You can have fun, save gas, and take the family out for a short fun-filled blast.
Or a VW GTI / Jetta GLI.

The R32 would have been nice but they retain their value much better in used car sales.

Actually, if you're thinking about a Miata, the older BMW Z3's are available for cheap too (not taking maintenance into account here). You won't have much fun in a Z3 compared to the Miata, but there's something I like about the Z3.

Quote:
funny nobody mentioned open top jeep. a couple wrangler sport are available under 10K, but I really need strong assuring words before I take a jeep.
Yes, get a Wrangler. Why not!
Old 22nd September 2009, 03:18   #242
Senior - BHPian

I wasn't sure if you were considering gas guzzlers. From what I know, some of the earlier models of the Wrangler give a combined mileage of 18-20. Its ok as long as gas stays at the current rates, but if it does climb back to the $4-5 range, then the Wrangler's going to leach the bank account!.
If you find a good one though, go for it! You atleast have a moderate summer, and driving with the top down in the fall sounds like fun!
Old 22nd September 2009, 06:40   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Actually, if you're thinking about a Miata, the older BMW Z3's are available for cheap too (not taking maintenance into account here). You won't have much fun in a Z3 compared to the Miata, but there's something I like about the Z3.

Yes, get a Wrangler. Why not!
actually you are right, I would prefer a 10 yr old bmw to a 5 yr old jeep. let me think about it again. any ballpark figure on maintenance?

@nitin, didn't I say I am open to all ideas , I don't have many constraints this time, I have the minivan to take care of the family.
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:13   #244
Senior - BHPian

question, is jeep wrangler the only soft top SUV? I am looking for something lighter, since nitin pointed out about the FE.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 22nd September 2009 at 19:14.
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:57   #245
Senior - BHPian

For some reason, I thought that the only other soft top SUV is an Isuzu, but I might be mistaken. The one I can vaguely picture is a 2 door SUV,with a soft top. Can't recollect the name.
Vivek, how many miles do you do a day ( as part of your commute)? if its not a whole lot, then the Wrangler might be a good option. If you do anything more than 30-35 miles, then I'm not sure this would be feesible.
Either ways, if you are in a position where the vehicle can be a convertible or a fun-filled SUV/off roader, then start looking for both.
Given an option,which one would you prefer?
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:07   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
question, is jeep wrangler the only soft top SUV? I am looking for something lighter, since nitin pointed out about the FE.
may i suggest to take a look at nissan 300zx non-turbo/turbo. you can get it well under $10k and are hoot to drive.

if soft suv is what you want, i had suggest to take a look at 2001-2002 Honda CR-V. not a bad soft roader for $11k.

2000-2002 mercedes slk's are going for $10k here in CA. don't know about your place.

also you can get 2000-2001 bmw m3 too if you hunt around for a bit. also 2000-2003 mercedes c240 too.

there are plenty of options for your budget. the problem is picking up the right choice that won't give you much trouble

Last edited by chevelle : 22nd September 2009 at 21:09.
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:34   #247
Senior - BHPian

Good options there, chevelle.
If its a sedan, then there are lots of good cars out there. I gather that Vivek wants something with the fun-factor, and not a regular sedan/ SUV. Hence the Miata/Mustang/Wrangler option.
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:46   #248
Senior - BHPian

yes nitin, isuzu had one. i even remember toyota rav4 soft top. loved it. don't see anywhere for sale now.

I won't be driving more than 20 miles. so this might work. with wrangler I am more worried about reliability. I don't want an enfield like attitude, "it's a jeep, you have to live with the niggles."

I won't be offroading (like to trek on foot LOL), but I love the styling of the wrangler.
now looking at the the classifieds for options chevelle mentioned.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:05   #249
BHPian

The other soft top SUV is a Suzuki Sidekick!

You might want to check Mini Cooper too. Small fun and unique.
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:15   #250
Senior - BHPian

Ah the Sidekick! Totally forgot about that! better to stay away from it,though.

well, I think 20 miles really isn't going to hurt. If you can find a well maintained Wrangler, I'd say go for it. Like all Jeep vehicles, they do have their own issues. I do know for sure that the manual tranny works much better than the AT on Wranglers. This info being passed on from 5 hard core Wrangler drivers at my previous work place.
Old 23rd September 2009, 01:50   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
actually you are right, I would prefer a 10 yr old bmw to a 5 yr old jeep. let me think about it again. any ballpark figure on maintenance?
Hard to tell - depends on condition but you'll be spending around $2k-$3k on maintenance / year. If you're handy and like to do oil changes and minor repairs yourself you'll save a bunch on labour charges.

Quote:
"it's a jeep, you have to live with the niggles."
No, the modern Jeeps are pretty alright, so you don't have to worry about any niggles other than cheap interior quality.
Old 23rd September 2009, 03:53   #252
BHPian

I would consider a Mr2 for around 10 grand. If not a 2003 - 2004 350z for around 13 - 14 grand. Then may be a Celica.
Old 23rd September 2009, 04:28   #253

Right hand drive wranglers

Right hand drive wranglers .. y dont you go for right hand drive wrangler

would cost you around 12 to 15 K . I know price is a little steep . but when u go back I guess you can ship it back .. just a thought
Old 23rd September 2009, 05:15   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Good options there, chevelle.
If its a sedan, then there are lots of good cars out there. I gather that Vivek wants something with the fun-factor, and not a regular sedan/ SUV. Hence the Miata/Mustang/Wrangler option.
if he is looking for fun factor than i would suggest the following
Mitsubishi eclipse, Toyota celica, supra, Nissan 300zx,350z, jeep rubicon, civic si, imperza, Lancer or evo.

These are some that is available in market for less than 10k. If you can increase budget to 15k to 17k you can get 2000-2003 corvette.

Also if he is considering mustang, he can also look at camaro too. Personally, I hate the interior of mustang. After the initial fun, it slowly dies down. Also reliability is a problem too.

Have fun hunting.

Last edited by chevelle : 23rd September 2009 at 05:18.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:29   #255
Senior - BHPian

actually i have been crazy about the 197x corvette ever since i saw it in rush hour, chris tucker drives it. but it will prove to be a white elephant on my door. newer ones are above 15K here as u mentioned. are they worth?

Cali dude, no RHD wrangler, i would just buy a open top bolero if i go to india. but i really doubt if I will, with the climatic conditions in india.

one advantage with wrangler over the 2 seat roadsters is i can occasionally seat my kids in the back seat. second, no need to clean the driveway when it snows

@mayavi, there is an attractive yellow mr2 in market, i was drooling over it y'day. in my list! you have been inactive on the forum for a while?

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 23rd September 2009 at 16:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks