Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 02:12   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Well, it maybe time when I might be in the same situation sooner than later.
now you are looking for a car?

anyway, a used car market is driven by the supply. see what you guys have available in the area and then make up your mind. both craigslist and ebay have good listings. cars.com is also a good place to start.

you already know you are looking for a premium sedan. that should guide your search. as somebody said, reliability and stability wise, subarus are cool. but may not work as a date car. for that you need something fancy with quiet and plush interiors at the least.
Old 1st February 2009, 04:48   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,
Sorry for the late reply. Spent the last two weeks looking around for a car.
Given the economy, I have no hopes for a high resale value though I would like to have one with high resale.

GTO: While a lease seems like a good idea, it gives me very limited options to play around with as well as many restrictions. Also, since I am here only for 2.5 years, I couldn't find anything that was worth it new and am hence looking for a pre-owned car.

Some options I looked at and considered:
2007 Audi A4
2006 BMW 3 Series
2006 Nissan Altima SE-R
2007/8 Toyota Camry
2008 Honda Accord

I had (and still have) my heart set on a used Nissan Altima SE-R with the 3.5 V6 and 260 BHP and even paid a non binding deposit on her (who wouldn't given the insane power, 18inch alloys, Bose speakers etc.)
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-altima.jpg
However, I had a change of mind and have reduced my budget primarily because:
- It's not my money. I would appreciate a more expensive car more if I bought it with my own money and suppose I bought a more expensive car now, I wouldn't want to downgrade to another car with my own money because it simply wouldn't feel as nice and wouldn't give me the level of satisfaction that one would like.
- Some unforseen expenditures and high insurance rates.
- I am a college student, don't want something too flashy or something here. I feel weird driving the Merc in Mumbai where they are really common. I would rather buy a car which fits in with the surroundings rather than a really flashy car.

My new budget is around $7000 and I have shortlisted the following:
- 2004 Lancer ES (similar to the Cedia Select minus alloys) done 68,000 miles with a clean Carfax for $5500 (with a plan of alloys, new ICE and probably some performance mods). 2 Owners.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-lancer.jpg
- 2000 Honda Civic LX done 73,000 miles with a clean Carfax for $6,000. Again 2 owners.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-civic.jpg
- 1999 Toyota Camry V6 done 80,000 miles. Still to see the carfax on her for around $7000.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-camry.jpg
- 1999 Honda Accord done 80,000 miles, 3 owners, clean Carfax.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-accord.jpg

Out of these, I am leaning towards the Civic and the Lancer as they have the emotional feeling I am looking for and want in a car. We already had a similar Accord and I want to experience new cars, not drive the same ones again (even though I miss the Accord a lot).
I would prefer the Civic as I have a really good feeling about that car, though the Lancer seems like a better deal with more features, newer body, more powerful engine etc.
Please advise me guys on the:
Reliability of these four cars
Performance
The ideal price to pay for them
Things to look out for
Your choice

Thanks a lot guys!

Pics have been taken from Buy Cars Online, New & Used Car Search, Auto Classifieds and are actual pics of the car in question.
Old 1st February 2009, 09:01   #213
Senior - BHPian

lancer is a newest car for the cheapest price and looks well maintained. This is minus the brand preferences.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 1st February 2009 at 09:02.
Old 1st February 2009, 10:02   #214
Senior - BHPian

good thinking lambo.

if you are planning to study and then settle here, and it's only a temporary transition, go with the civic. Mitsubishi is cheaper but needs upgrades. I have a feeling civic will be a better ROI.

if you plan to go back and this is one time fun you are going to buy, you might want to continue looking for exotics (the dodge you mentioned earlier, convertibles etc). all the cars in your list are good value for money though.
Old 1st February 2009, 20:35   #215
Senior - BHPian

I think the Civic or the Lancer would be the best bets for you Lambo.
Old 1st February 2009, 21:13   #216
Senior - BHPian

Is the Accord a V6. If so, then it will be a fun ride.

The Camry has a lifeless steering but otherwise reliable as a rock.
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:18   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,
Thanks for your replies.

@Mpower: The Accord is a 2.3 and we've already had one in Mumbai so I don't see the point of buying another one here.

@Vivek: I am going back to India after studies. I might stay here for a few more years for further studies or a job but am not sure on that. My point was that I would prefer to get a fun car once I earn it on my own and also I don't think a fun car would fit in my college campus and I like to keep a low profile.

@Iraghava and devarshi: I am seriously considering the Lancer and the Civic as my main options. Just wondering which one of these two would be better.
Now if I could only get the Lancer Ralliart (2.4L, 162bhp, 16" alloys, Sports kit (like on Cedia) and what not!) for $8000, then the choice would be so much easier. Damn!

And also, what should I look out for in used cars and the Carfax report?
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:00   #218
BHPian

Sorry guys, dont know how i missed this post.

First of all, there has been change of plans and am not gonna be here atleast until August 09. That leaves the car selection, out of the pocket to the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78
The BMW 328 is a good little package but then the 335's twin turbos just work wonders
Yeah, the 335s are a overleap and are in the corner of the mind. Infact, the new M3 has been the precise model, close to heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78
Theres a wait-list on the Camaro so don't expect one this year or even the next.
Yeah theres a long list on the Camaro, but from what I heard from the Camaro forums, people who booked last Oct were promised delivery in March. I have no quips against the Challenger but the 2010 Camaro (as it is called) is so so gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
now you are looking for a car?
not anymore...
I dont need car for a date Vivek, but want to date the car (no no no wild imaginations ) If BMW remains my choice, its definitely gonna be from the used market/earlier year deals from the dealer. I cant definitely miss the sports package and have no other way of getting it unless wanting to live in the car.
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:59   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@Mpower: The Accord is a 2.3 and we've already had one in Mumbai so I don't see the point of buying another one here.
Then get some other V6 like a Maz6 or Altima. You will find the V6 for the same or lower price than the 4.

My recomendation is to enjoy V6 power while gas is cheap for the next 3 years. The old Civic auto is a wheezy, slow car in this country of big roads and no fun at all.
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:16   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Then get some other V6 like a Maz6 or Altima. You will find the V6 for the same or lower price than the 4.

My recomendation is to enjoy V6 power while gas is cheap for the next 3 years. The old Civic auto is a wheezy, slow car in this country of big roads and no fun at all.
+1.

try and look for a V6 altima or a maxima. You should be able to get a decent one in your budget. One more option : A ford fusion V6 - a reskinned Mazda6 but the price should be lower than an equivalent mazda

Last edited by mohit : 2nd February 2009 at 23:18.
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:20   #221
Senior - BHPian

I would definitely dissuade you from getting a V6. Even if the mileage difference is 2-3miles/gallon, with prices hitting $5/gallon this year,you'd be better off with a 4-cyl car.
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:29   #222
Senior - BHPian

how about you look for a Mazda mx-5 if possible your budget? they are great fun and reliable too. Also try looking for Nissan sentra SE-R's if they appeal to you.

Otherwise The lancer is saving you some money to get alloys and other stuff on it.

that's what I would do.
Old 3rd February 2009, 02:24   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,

No 2 doors for me. Insurance is higher and during the winters convertibles are a NO!
Also, as an only car, a 2 door isn't that practical.

As for a V6, still haven't found a decent one, within my new budget. All V6's are over my budget of $8,000/9,000, unless they are family sedans like the Camry. Also, I can't title a car here that is 10 years and older. It would also affect my resale value if it is over 10 years old when I sell it.

Looks like the Lancer, I found a Lancer Ralliart, done 58,000 miles, single owner. Carfax doesn't list any accidents or anything and the dealer has offered me a last price of $9000.
Car is fully loaded, in Red, with the skirts, tints, spoiler, sunroof, 16" alloys and most importantly a 2.4L MIVEC engine with 16x Bhp.

Anyone know how reliable these are?
Old 3rd February 2009, 03:46   #224
Senior - BHPian

The Lancers are pretty reliable. In terms of fit & finish, its not the best.Interiors have a plastic/flimzy feel, and if the car's put thrown around be ready for some squeaks and rattling .
Do post pics of the car, if possible. It'll give us a better idea of how its been maintained. How old is it? I'm guessing a 2003/2004 model..
Old 3rd February 2009, 04:59   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Nitin,

Thanks for the reply. Mostly going to be the Lancer Rallisport. Here are the pics from the craigslist advt:
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-lancer.jpg
Name:  Lancer Interior.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  6.8 KB

Here's one from google to check out. I want it! Fun and practical. Perfect for a college student with a love for cars isn't it?
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-2005mitsubishilancerralliart.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks