Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:36   #256
Senior - BHPian

I remember driving an MR2 sometime ago, and I just didn't like it. It would be the Celica anyday. If you live close to a university town, you'll find 98% of Celica drivers to be girls. Kinda weird, if you ask me.
With the Eclipse,you'll find it cramped. been in one,and felt a little too snug. I guess you are close to 6ft,so you'll need the leg space for sure.
While at it,have you come across any good Wranglers in the area? Considered checking in Colombus/ Toledo?
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:29   #257
Senior - BHPian

frankly speaking, I have a LOT of choice if I go to chicago, I may end up doing that.
celica, something to do with the name ?

manual transmission wrangler is vetoed by wife. First step is for her to get a license though. I have time till then.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 23rd September 2009 at 22:31.
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:34   #258
BHPian

He He He - She doesn't want you to have all the fun!
No MT might be a bit of an issue actually as most of the cars in your shortlist are known to be fun with the MT - Most will feel relatively bland with an auto.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:17   #259
Senior - BHPian

Right said, Mohit.
I was considering the Wrangler when I moved to Houston from Ohio, and test drove both the MT&AT. This was a 2004 model, and came pretty well equipped.
I had a tough time in the MT, as my hand would keep hitting the front console when changing gears. The knob goes way too close to the AC knobs! Tried the AT, and felt very very sedate!
I must say, the wife wants you to have some fun, and strictly 'some' fun. I couldn't quite suggest getting a Miata with the AT. Much rather get an other sedan.
Old 24th September 2009, 00:49   #260
Senior - BHPian

ok, I grin with glee when talking about MT, but I can easily sacrifice that for a sustaining a long term relationship , seriously, not interested in power slides or mad starts at the traffic light. styling and comfort are most important factors. it's only practical to have two cars that both of us can drive.

hows chrysler sebring? any expriences? Jeep AT is still a strong contender. 4 seater convertibles the next (eclipse, mustang, sebring, some older bmw/mercs). exotics after that.

EDIT: also noticed a Porsche boxter for 12 K. MT

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 24th September 2009 at 00:54.
Old 24th September 2009, 01:17   #261
BHPian

Sebring is good but then you would have to go a few years into the future - roof down on the sebring and wind in Gray hair! - Its not just the image , it is a real boring car to drive.

Though, by fun if you mean a convertible that you can cruise in, by all means! You just might be able to get a low mileage one in your budget.
Old 24th September 2009, 02:02   #262
Senior - BHPian

I would recomment you to stay away from Sebrings! My boss owns one, and you can't imagine the trauma he's faced due to the problems that the car began to give. As much as its fun to have a top down car, you might run into some issue or the other when it comes to the electronics dealing with the roof. Unless, its like the manual latch system in the Miata.
If you are looking for the flexibility of the 4 seats, then the Wrangler sure fits your bill. if I were you, I'd scoop around everywhere possible (and pobably even check in Detroit/ Chicago) for well maintained Wranglers,under 6-7 years old models.

EDIT: Just checked autotrader, searching for Wranglers in Houston,and I see a whole bunch of them. Some good deals like a 2003 Wrangler Sahara for $10K !.

Now I'm begining to think..... !!

Last edited by Nitin : 24th September 2009 at 02:06.
Old 24th September 2009, 03:38   #263
Team-BHP Support

Sebring? Bonkers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
hows chrysler sebring? any expriences? Jeep AT is still a strong contender. 4 seater convertibles the next (eclipse, mustang, sebring, some older bmw/mercs). exotics after that.

EDIT: also noticed a Porsche boxter for 12 K. MT
Vivek! Man, what're you thinking? Please don't even think about a Sebring. Listen to mohit & Nitin.

How much are you looking to spend on maintenance? A Boxter will give you all the pleasure on the road, and terrible pain at the service center.

You'll readily find older BMWs and Mercs for sale but you'll be better off buying CPO or there's a good chance you'll end up with a rusting yard ornament.
Don't bother with the 300ZX, or a Supra because neither fits your requirements - also good samples are expensive and hard to come across.
You have a better chance of finding a Celica or an Eclipse in decent condition.

The Celica's much bigger inside than it looks - it can fit 8 (7 + 1 driver) full-sized desis for distances < 5 miles without any problems.
Old 24th September 2009, 06:51   #264
Senior - BHPian

Please ignore Sebring
celica is a good option. You can modify it a little bit too to make it look good, go faster. Here I have seen both girls and boys drive celica. Usually boys have their rides modified.

Hey you can Also consider Acura integra. It's a good car too. Reliable, fast, looker, not too cramped for your child at rear seat.

Also consider rx-7, rx-8.

I think ride in wrangler will be bumpy for your child at rear. Also my friend was complaining about low fuel efficiency, higher cost of maintainence and a pain to drive in downtown aka crowded places.

I looked up for corvette and good pieces are available for around 10k. But I have no idea about maintaining one. You can inquire about that on vette forums. They can give you an estimate.

How about grand Cherokee? Did you consider one?
Old 24th September 2009, 08:18   #265
Senior - BHPian

relax guys, i was just thinking aloud. It's just that I have envied people sitting in these cars on road, an open wrangler the most.

I am taking this as an opportunity to pamper (but not bankrupt) myself, since I already have a minivan for the family and this will mostly be my personal car for commute to work which is very short. apart from that only purpose it needs to serve is fun, and I repeat, no clutch/gas/tyre/road burning for me. Just plain sedate driving.

there are very few celicas around, but i will keep looking.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:10   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
relax guys, i was just thinking aloud. It's just that I have envied people sitting in these cars on road, an open wrangler the most.

I am taking this as an opportunity to pamper (but not bankrupt) myself, since I already have a minivan for the family and this will mostly be my personal car for commute to work which is very short. apart from that only purpose it needs to serve is fun, and I repeat, no clutch/gas/tyre/road burning for me. Just plain sedate driving.

there are very few celicas around, but i will keep looking.
i too envy those people who drive wrangler, but i am a bit worried about its upkeep. and this being CA, its a bit costly to get things done what with sky high labor charge and stuff.

i think you should also look for supra. i drove one of my friends modified one and boy o boy, it was one heck of a ride. he didn't do any thing fancy, just the usual stage 1 mods, but it was lovely to drive. you can say, i am smitten by supra. but they are hard to come by too.
Old 24th September 2009, 22:20   #267
Senior - BHPian

I know for sure that its not easy maintaining a Vette. Especially the older models, they need a lot of work to keep them in good condition. You'll be spending a lot of time either working on it, or getting stuff done by a professional person. I would stay away from the Vette, or even a Supra if you'r not looking to have a pwoerful vehicle.
For sedate driving, The Celica sounds better, but again that depends on your taste. It does have low seating,and to some that can be a pain.
The only other issue with getting a Beemer or a Merc, is that it'll be a 8-10 year old model and then without warranty you'll find yourself in a tight spot if something needs to be fixed.
The good thing about a Jeep or any other American brand is that it can be fixed at Midas or Jiffy Lube or any other garage for a reasonable price.
Old 24th September 2009, 22:39   #268
BHPian

What about a European car that you just might be able to score at an American pricing? A Saab 9-3 convertible. Have no idea about reliability but there's tons of aftermarket support and hence shouldn't be too tough to maintain. You can get a relatively newer model in your budget.
Old 24th September 2009, 22:49   #269
BHPian

I have a 1999 Accord coupe MT. If you looking for a 2dr with lots of space and some space in rear for kids seat, I'd recommend it. Bought for 4g in chicago last spring.

The MT brings some fun to drive. And reliable.
Old 25th September 2009, 00:30   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
What about a European car that you just might be able to score at an American pricing? A Saab 9-3 convertible. Have no idea about reliability but there's tons of aftermarket support and hence shouldn't be too tough to maintain. You can get a relatively newer model in your budget.
For Pete's sake, please don't get the Saab 93. I have had to help my colleague with her 93 ever so often,I had to push her into getting rid of the vehicle.Almost got my fingers stuck in the roof assembly one time.
The convertible is a pain to deal with,especially the late 90's model. The 1st thing to malfunction is the roof, and then the electricals slowly being to fail one after the other. The engine might be a good one, but the car by itself sure has tonnes of flaws. Another car that would ensure frequent trips to the garage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks