Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 02:35   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Another What car, but this time its for me
My heart is downright on Ford Mustang, but the GT ones are above 10k and above. Decent Mustangs are available at 6-8k.
My budget 6-8K
Requirements : Coupe, Convertible
Options : Ford Mustang, Eclipse, Celica, Tiburon, Miata MX5

Please throw in your options and help me decide.

Oh yes one more thing, What mileage can bee good for Mustang?

Please help me decide
I went by my heart...picked a Mustang

Thanks to all for the pointers and suggestions.
Old 17th July 2010, 05:48   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Vivek, any updates? Have you checked out some cars?
So after a couple jolts and a 6 month battle with USCIS we have decided that I can stay in this country for another 3 years, and so my quest (not the nissan) started again.

I ended up buying a 2004 new beetle convertible for $10K+ from a dealer today. planning to take delivery on monday. primary criteria was 4 seater, automatic drive and small footprint, which made my choice very limited.

Here is an urgent query for you guys, I ended up buying a 2 year gold warranty from them for $2385, and now it feels a little higher when compared to car price itself. What do you guys think of it? I can try to decline it tomorrow if I can't convince myself for it.
Old 23rd July 2010, 03:31   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post

I ended up buying a 2004 new beetle convertible for $10K+ from a dealer today. planning to take delivery on monday. primary criteria was 4 seater, automatic drive and small footprint, which made my choice very limited.
Did you consider VW GTI?

Quote:
Here is an urgent query for you guys, I ended up buying a 2 year gold warranty from them for $2385, and now it feels a little higher when compared to car price itself. What do you guys think of it? I can try to decline it tomorrow if I can't convince myself for it.
I am not sure whether you can decline it but you can certainly cancel it and you will most likely get full money back. I know that will be little longer process than just declining it but at least you'll get your money back.
Old 23rd July 2010, 04:40   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
So after a couple jolts and a 6 month battle with USCIS we have decided that I can stay in this country for another 3 years, and so my quest (not the nissan) started again.

Perfect Wifey car! How much did you pay for it?

I am not too sure about the warranty though. Its a VW so reliability is a bit of an issue but thats a lot of money for warranty for a Beetle. I would say save it and take your chances.
Old 23rd July 2010, 08:29   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurbo View Post
Did you consider VW GTI?

I am not sure whether you can decline it but you can certainly cancel it and you will most likely get full money back. I know that will be little longer process than just declining it but at least you'll get your money back.
it's for wifey, think like a woman! anything in GTI that would be appealing for her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Perfect Wifey car! How much did you pay for it?

I am not too sure about the warranty though. Its a VW so reliability is a bit of an issue but thats a lot of money for warranty for a Beetle. I would say save it and take your chances.
10,7xx. I will take my chances, will cancel it for a full refund within a month, after first service. It's not my primary car and I don't mind if it takes a while to get it back in shape if anything happens.
Old 6th September 2010, 17:27   #336
BHPian

Hidden gems in the US?

I'll be relocating soon to the US, Seattle area. I'll obviosly need to buy a car there are am looking at the forum to suggest if there are 'hidden gems' in the US - by which I mean great used cars at cheap prices This forum showed me Elantra CRDi and I've been hooked to it for the past 1 year. Here's what am looking for:
  1. We're a small family - me, wife and 1 kid. So thinking Sedan should do. Am used to highway cruising on Elantra, so prefer stability and handling to SUVs.
  2. Am looking for a used car, budget will be betn $9k-$10k depending on how much I'll get for my Elantra here
  3. Might sound politically incorrect - but do not want to be associated with typical desi cars like Honda Civic/Accord, Toyota Corolla/Camry - though these are great cars nevertheless.
  4. It gets cold and snows in Seattle for a few months. I know US cars are built for this, but the one I identify should be best in handling these weather conditions.
Pl suggest! Thanks!
Old 6th September 2010, 19:22   #337
BHPian

A few that come to mind that might be cheap and nice cars are

1. Ford Escape
2. Chevy Equinox
3. Nissan Murano
4. Jeep Liberty, Compass or the Patriot

these are the 4x4 family or AWD family

Sedans could be

Ford Focus
Nissan Maxima
Hyundai Sonata

etc
Old 6th September 2010, 20:55   #338
BHPian

Get hold of a 4X4 SUV. You will need it during the winter season. There are many steep roads where during snowfall a sedan cant even think of going. You will get many Fords, Dodge, Toyota's etc in that range. your best bet would be a RAV4 or a nice pick up (With huge alloys)
PS: I love Seattle.
Old 6th September 2010, 21:27   #339
BHPian

I would go with the Nissan Maxima! I did hire it in Florida and traveled from north Florida to down South till Miami. I was meeting up with some important clients during these days and did extensive traveling. Once in Miami it was all about clubbing! It was a week long trip and boy the car is awesome! Good power and handling, Nice interiors. Check it out when you get there!

Cheers!
-z
Old 7th September 2010, 08:38   #340
Senior - BHPian

@Sriram - Go for a 4 wheel drive, it will be very useful during the snow, though I'm not sure if it snows as bad as it does in Michigan.

Last but not the least, when you're in India, its very expensive to afford for a bigger vehicles, enjoy them atleast while you're in US. Go for a 4X4 & a good SUV.
Old 7th September 2010, 11:39   #341
BHPian

Thanks for the response guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Last but not the least, when you're in India, its very expensive to afford for a bigger vehicles, enjoy them atleast while you're in US. Go for a 4X4 & a good SUV.
Very true - my first thought was also to get a nice 4x4 SUV ( I was actually eyeing the BMW X3, saw some for abt $16k). But on second thoughts, I felt more comfortable in the handling of Sedan, so thought of sticking with it. It doesn't snow that bad in Seattle - couple of months atmost I believe, should I still stick to 4x4?
Old 7th September 2010, 11:51   #342
BHPian

I dont know about the hidden gems in US, but what will you about your Gem in India ? I am talking about elantra CRDI
are you planning to sell it ?
Old 7th September 2010, 12:22   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
I dont know about the hidden gems in US, but what will you about your Gem in India ? I am talking about elantra CRDI
are you planning to sell it ?
Yes ofcourse!! How else do you think I can finance my next gem
Old 7th September 2010, 12:24   #344
BHPian

If you are sticking to a Sedan, you might also try the Mazda 3. A very nice compact sedan, good enough for a family of 3 and handles superbly. I had it for 1 yr in US and absolutely loved it.
Old 7th September 2010, 12:28   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KESriram View Post
Very true - my first thought was also to get a nice 4x4 SUV ( I was actually eyeing the BMW X3, saw some for abt $16k).
Ok, if budget is a big constraint, you can settle for a sedan.

Quote:
But on second thoughts, I felt more comfortable in the handling of Sedan, so thought of sticking with it.
Well, its all in the mindset; I was switching from Cobalt, Civic, Mustang, Elantra & Xterra without any issues. If you're not comfortable, then stick to sedan, from my experience, its nothing difficult handling a SUV & sedan. May be RAM would've made me uncomfortable.

Quote:
It doesn't snow that bad in Seattle - couple of months atmost I believe, should I still stick to 4x4?
Well, I'm still not sure. But let me share an experience of mine. It used to snow upto a a foot in Michigan. I used to be driving a Civic & once I was following some 4WD vehicle & he was clocking like 30mph & I was following him safely; when he braked his vehicle halted & I was unable stop like him; I severed left inorder to prevent an accident & fortunately the vehicles on the opposite side were able to sense my position & they stopped. Only God saved me that day & it was then I realized the importance of 4X4.

On the other hand, when I was driving in MN on Xterra on snow filled road, I was clocking more than 60mph on the snowy highway & was able to overtake most of the sedans easily.

Just check if Seattle snows as bad as MN & MI (which are worst in Winters); if not you can settle for a sedan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks