Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2012, 12:30   #106
Team-BHP Support

re: My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, why don't you reset the FE meter. I do it after every top-up.
I don't think I have an option to reset the MID on the Swift. I'll check it up though. Thanks!
Old 29th January 2012, 14:31   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I don't think I have an option to reset the MID on the Swift. I'll check it up though. Thanks!
You do have an option to reset the MID, and its very simple. Just toggle the right hand side switch to display the "Avg. Fuel Consumption", which according to you shows 20.** something right now. Press and hold this switch for 3 seconds and the "Avg" will be reset, starting from 10 kpl IIRC. Hope that helps
ScorpMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 02:35   #108
Senior - BHPian

wow I totally missed this thread

congrats on the new ride and are you missing the palio yet?
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:01   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
You do have an option to reset the MID, and its very simple. Just toggle the right hand side switch to display the "Avg. Fuel Consumption", which according to you shows 20.** something right now. Press and hold this switch for 3 seconds and the "Avg" will be reset, starting from 10 kpl IIRC. Hope that helps
Thanks a bunch for the tip. I learnt something new. The MID, once reset, goes to --.- km/l

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
wow I totally missed this thread

congrats on the new ride and are you missing the palio yet?
Thanks bottle. The Palio will always remain close to my heart.
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:34   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
So when i am going for a long trip & i wanna know the overall F.E. of just the trip this is the way to go?
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:37   #111
BHPian

Any update on the brake issue ?, I went through the brake issue thread, nothing noted on what MSIL did/communicated to you. Get in touch if you want this issue sorted.
Regards
M M
Old 14th May 2012, 11:18   #112
Team-BHP Support

The car completed 18,800 kms on Friday. It was already time for the 4th service. I had set 5000 kms to be the interval between services so I was already 2000 kms overdue since the last service was done at 11,xxx kms. The FE had dropped after the car crossed the 18,000 km mark. I was getting around 15-17kmpl. It was time for an oil change and a major service. Booked an appointment with Sai Service for a major service on Saturday.

Reached Sai Service at 7:30 am to find two service advisors. I was 2nd in line and was promptly attended to by Dipak Jadhav. Turned out to be one of the best SA I have encountered. Filled in the job card and I told him that I'll be waiting in the customer service lounge while the car is being serviced. Requested him to get the following done:

Oil + Oil filter change.
Air filter change.
Gear box oil change.
Diesel filter replacement.
Tyre rotation.
Brake fluid top up and brake bleeding.
Coolant replacement.

The car was in the washing area from 8:00 am to 9:30 am after which the technician took it to the service bay. I was told that Diesel filters were not available and he'll have to place an order for it. I asked him to go ahead with it only to be told later that the new generation Swift doesn't have an option for a filter replacement. I'll have to get the filter with the entire body. I was quite surprised with this change. Just to give you an idea, the filter without the body costs Rs. 1300/- and the cost with the body is Rs. 3200/-. The body doesn't go bad till the life of the vehicle and is not required to be replaced. Maruti needs to take a look at the Ford way of doing things in this regard - Post here.

Not sure if any other (New) Swift on the forum has required a filter replacement as yet, but can you check with your service station if this is the norm? I asked them to not replace the filter since it still has another 1500 km of time left until the official replacement is warranted.

Coming back to the service, all fluids & filters were replaced. Tyres rotated and the car was out of the service bay in 45 mins at 10:15 am. A little bit of process issue I noticed was that the car cleaners were continuously wiping the car while the technicians were working on it. Due to space constraints at the workshop, they don't have a dedicated car wiping area and the car is driven into the service bay directly from the washing area. I am not too pleased with the washing quality at Sai Service.

Billing etc was done in 15 minutes and I was out of the service station at 10:30. Dipak was kind enough to personally deliver the vehicle and also offered to go for a trial run. I told him that wasn't required and I'll call him if I face any issues.

The total bill came to Rs. 3839/- without the diesel filter replacement.

A couple of points I'd like to bring up as an off topic but necessary post are:

- Usually at service stations you are asked to get an engine flush alongwith oil replacement. In my opinion this is not required and in some cases could prove harmful for your vehicle. Service advisors make a commission out of selling you engine flush, coolant additives, etc. These are not recommended and you could save yourself some money.

- I was told to use semi synthetic oil for the Swift as this is the norm. Quickly flipped through the pages and confirmed that Swift requires 15W40 and nothing else. You could opt for fully synthetic oil but I find the cost v/s benefit a little unconvincing to spend on this mile muncher. I used fully synthetic oil on my high revving Palio and I found that justified. Perhaps I am biased towards my old love.

- I also observed almost all service advisors recommending an intake manifold cleanup for almost all petrol vehicles that came by. Another attempt at making some money I guess.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 21:11   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Brake fluid top up and brake bleeding.
All fluids should be replaced at 20K, why did you opt for topup ? It costs a mere 300 bucks

Quote:
I was told that Diesel filters were not available and he'll have to place an order for it.
Shocking !! Sai Service at its best ??

Quote:

I asked him to go ahead with it only to be told later that the new generation Swift doesn't have an option for a filter replacement. I'll have to get the filter with the entire body. I was quite surprised with this change. Just to give you an idea, the filter without the body costs Rs. 1300/- and the cost with the body is Rs. 3200/-. The body doesn't go bad till the life of the vehicle and is not required to be replaced.
I am not sure how true this is. The engine hasn't changed in the new swift, why do they have to replace the whole body of the filter. This looks to be a fraud to me.

Quote:

- I was told to use semi synthetic oil for the Swift as this is the norm. Quickly flipped through the pages and confirmed that Swift requires 15W40 and nothing else. You could opt for fully synthetic oil but I find the cost v/s benefit a little unconvincing to spend on this mile muncher. I used fully synthetic oil on my high revving Palio and I found that justified. Perhaps I am biased towards my old love.

Synthetic oil is indeed the norm for the new swift, which again is an un-necessary push from MSIL

Refer the attached circular.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Maruti Swift Engine Oil Change Circular.pdf (69.6 KB, 845 views)

Last edited by F150 : 15th May 2012 at 21:17. Reason: Grammatic corrections
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 22:10   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
All fluids should be replaced at 20K, why did you opt for topup ? It costs a mere 300 bucks
I wrote top up but brake oil is never drained out for replacement. So, they keep bleeding your brake system until new oil flows through. Consumed a bottle and half.

Quote:
Shocking !! Sai Service at its best ??
I am not sure how true this is. The engine hasn't changed in the new swift, why do they have to replace the whole body of the filter. This looks to be a fraud to me.
I'll wait for someone to confirm that the filter can be replaced without the body. I am quite happy with Sai Service to be honest.

Quote:
Synthetic oil is indeed the norm for the new swift, which again is an un-necessary push from MSIL
Refer the attached circular.
Thanks for the update. There are a few things that come to my mind. As I mentioned, my owners manual clearly states only "15W40" as the oil grade for my car. My car was manufactured and sold before the date of the bulletin and I guess the VIN is also old. Maruti has been sourcing engines from Fiat since October or later. Fiat recommends Synthetic oil for its engines with an increased oil change interval. I am guessing that is the reason for that bulletin.

EDIT: Just confirmed that my car doesn't need synthetic oil as per the chassis number specified. I do have an oil change recommended at 1000 kms and I used mineral oil, all through.

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th May 2012 at 22:14.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:25   #115
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the update. There are a few things that come to my mind. As I mentioned, my owners manual clearly states only "15W40" as the oil grade for my car. My car was manufactured and sold before the date of the bulletin and I guess the VIN is also old. Maruti has been sourcing engines from Fiat since October or later. Fiat recommends Synthetic oil for its engines with an increased oil change interval. I am guessing that is the reason for that bulletin.

EDIT: Just confirmed that my car doesn't need synthetic oil as per the chassis number specified. I do have an oil change recommended at 1000 kms and I used mineral oil, all through.
Do you find any reduction in NVH levels having crossed 18K+ kms? I remember you were considering the switch to synthetic oil earlier. Looks like its been mineral oil all through. Any improvement in NVH despite sticking to mineral oil?

My ZDi has a VIN number prior to the cut off series and is running on mineral oil even after the 1st service. Was thinking of changing to synthetic at the 5K mark but looks like 10K is a more ideal time to switch to synthetic. My only concern is the colour of the oil. It is jet black after 2K km of usage.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 16th May 2012 at 11:26.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:28   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Do you find any reduction in NVH levels having crossed 18K+ kms? I remember you were considering the switch to synthetic oil earlier. Looks like its been mineral oil all through. Any improvement in NVH despite sticking to mineral oil?
I was contemplating on switching to synthetic oil but I suddenly had this fit of sticking to 5k oil change intervals on mineral oil. The cost of synthetic oil is not justified in my opinion.

There's no increase or reduction in NVH after an oil change. The engine "feels" smoother after an oil change.

Quote:
My ZDi has a VIN number prior to the cut off series and is running on mineral oil even after the 1st service. Was thinking of changing to synthetic at the 5K mark but looks like 10K is a more ideal time to switch to synthetic. My only concern is the colour of the oil. It is jet black after 2K km of usage.
Oil will turn jet Black within a minute or two after an oil change. Start the engine after an oil change and observe.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:32   #117
BHPian

Quote:

Oil will turn jet Black within a minute or two after an oil change. Start the engine after an oil change and observe.
So you mean there is no cause for concern here? Having used petrol cars all along, this is not something I am used to seeing .
Old 16th May 2012, 11:51   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
So you mean there is no cause for concern here? Having used petrol cars all along, this is not something I am used to seeing .
Absolutely, there is a thread on team-bhp discussing this in detail. Thread link.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 12:50   #119
BHPian

So my VIN at some 69730 also falls before the one mentioned in the circular so will continue with what i have been using (first service) which i guess is called mineral oil. Now the new one that they are using is called Synthetic oil. Right? So what are we talking about when we say "semi-synthetic"?
Really confusing, this & moralfibre could you post the scan of your service sheet so Swift owners like me when they reach their 4th service know what they got to do. Thanks.
Old 16th May 2012, 14:49   #120
BHPian

Quote:
I had set 5000 kms to be the interval between services
The service interval is 10k for diesel Swifts right??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks