Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:08   #16
BHPian

re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Excellent writeup Amalji. Very happy to know you are enjoying your new ride.

Can you please provide the cost of V-Kool sun films and parking sensors. Also the place you got it done.

I'll soon be getting my Rapid TDI and will also need these accessories.
kevintomin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Why did you prefer Stebel air horn over Bosch? Does installing these horns voids the electrical warranty? What was the cost for both?
1) The tone from an airhorn is unmatched by any other technology used for a horn. The advantage with the stebel horn that I mentioned is that it is very compact inspite of being an airhorn and can be fitted easily with the help of a small twisty clamp. The only reason why I didn't buy the Stebel for my Etios is because it was not available anywhere in Cochin, when I bought my car.

2) I discussed about the warranty aspect with the owner of Emperor Accessories, Cochin. He mentioned that service centers can deny electrical warranty if they want to. But, he also mentioned that Toyota Cochin respects good electrical works. In my case, the horn was fitted without cutting a single wire. A wiring harness was used as well.

3) If my memory is correct, the Bosch one costs around Rs. 1100/- and the Stebel one costs around Rs. 1500/-. Wiring harness/Relay/labour amounts to another 600 extra.

Quote:
I have driven my relatives Etios but found the ground clearance to be decent. I did not scrape any of the notorious speed breakers that are found abundantly in Bangalore.
The ground clearance is adequate on most humps. What I meant was that when the car is fully loaded, the rear end tend to sag a bit due to the soft suspensions and we should be careful then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So finally you get the time to write down the review and a very well written one too.
Thanks, @drmohitg. Infact, my review has been in team-bhp assembly line for more than 1 month. I keep adding bits and pieces as I get more experience from the car. The assembly line section on team-bhp is a very innovative option for writing good reviews.

Quote:

You got the reverse sensors from the dealer or what outside? Does it interfere with the warranty in any case? Also do you mind sharing the Cost of the same? I have to get them fixed in my Altis but I am unable to find something that matches the pearl white colour of the car.
I got the reverse sensors fitted from the dealer ( Trivandrum Nippon Toyota ). Infact, they recommended this model to me and did not mention anything regarding voiding of warranty. So, I guess the dealer will take the responsibility here. Cost was around Rs. 4,000/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
Isnt the service interval for diesel Etios 5k km? As you have pointed out my 10k service of Etios (P) cost 1185 which i think is a steal
It's 10k even for the Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
A couple of questions:

1. How do you find the build quality specifically the sheet metal quality? Good enough?
2. Is the lack of space in Dzire rear seat significant compared to that of the Etios?
Sheet metal is good enough, if you are used to Japanese/Korean cars. Don't expect tank like built like in the European/American cars. For comparison, the Kerb Weight of Etios Petrol is very similar to that of the Old Honda City ( 2001 model ) and Maruti Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Could you tell me how much does the Philips Extreme vision cost?
Philips Xtreme Vision costed me Rs. 1200/- . It's "Made in Germany" as well.

Quote:
Regarding the problems faced with Cochin Nippon, your friend of you should have shot a mail to Toyota heads and that would have taken care of the issue permanently. We always think why do we need to take the issues to next level and leave these which further encourages the SAs to continue doing such mistakes.
True, I'll get it notified somehow. Maybe, I'll give this review to them. I've the photos of the test drive cars that we saw that day. Easy to get the dates as well since google plus app on android automatically uploads the pics to google plus instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Better interiors,better NVH level and stronger build quality can do world of good to this practical car.
I feel that with just better interiors and wider service coverage, it has the potential to kill the competition unless Maruti comes up with something better than the Dzire.

Quote:
Etios is an interesting car to drive. Never feels as light as it actually is.
Agree with you completely here. I had to take my uncle for a 600 km trip. He is an NRI and uses a Camry overseas. He was mighty impressed with the car's stability and composed nature at speeds in the range of 140 kmph. When I told him that the car is lighter than the Swift hatch, he didn't believe me and told me that that's wrong. Maybe, the longer wheelbase and better aerodynamic design is adding to this stability inspite of being light as a feather. I'm not sure about the reasons.

Quote:
Btw any reason for not considering Manza,i20 CRDi and even Verito D ?
1) Manza is undoubtedly a great car. The only factor that went against is the After sales care of Tata. I've heard too many horror stories on them since my cousin owned an Indica. After being pampered by Maruti Service, this was not an option for me.
2) Verito Diesel is one vehicle that is very similar to the Etios in terms of practicality and drivability. The after sales of Mahindra was an unknown territory for me. While, I have not heard many say bad about them, I haven't heard good as well. Didn't want to take a risk there. Another aspect was the exterior design of the Verito. It somehow didn't appeal to me like the Etios.
3) i20 - Even though the car is good and the after sales is good, the cost of maintaining a Hyundai is always on the higher side. The huge boot of the Etios was another tempting thing.

Quote:
Thanks nkrishnap. Will definitely TD all the vehicles extensively. Etios, Dzire and perhaps even a couple more just to compare.
Add Manza and Verito to that list. They are good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
As I've also booked New Swift ZDi, so I've also read this thread with keeping the thinking in same mould as yours & due to Indefinite waiting period of Swift I'm very fast

searching for another feasible option with ETIOS VD being one of them, alongwith Nissan Sunny dCi diesel & Skoda Rapid, but the latter seem to burn a bigger hole into my pocket.
Will definitely love to opt for ETIOS/LIVA D if better Interiors, Insulation has to be introduced in its 2012 version, as shared by our colleague bhp-ians.
Congrats once again & have a Happy Motoring ahead.
Yeah, interiors are the only disappointment in the Etios. I hope, Toyota corrects it because it's a car meant to sell more than 10k per month. Even though the Toyota sales attained an all-time high figures for December 2011 due to Etios/Liva numbers, Interiors needs to improve to reach the 10k+ numbers for Etios because not everyone just goes by practicality or the drive quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
what was the on-road price? Was there any freebies given by Toyota?
On road pricing was Rs. 8.25 Lakhs in Trivandrum. No freebies. Got a compliment Etios kit - An Etios cap, T-Shirt, spare Key-chain, and a photo frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Wow,7000 kms in 2 months,nice.
Yes, interior space is indeed a premium and very few cars offer that.
Kerala has always been a diesel market,good choice.
happy motoring.
It's 6,000 kms.
yeah, lots and lots of space inside. Everyone who first enters the car says - "Wow, it's spacious"

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Hearty Congrats Amalji on the Etios Diesel. Its gem of a car to drive in the city as I had most of my Test Drive extensively in the city traffic only about a month back.
You seem to be having superb drives going on clocking so much so early. Wish you many more happy miles with it.
True, enjoy the drives in the Etios - both city ( due to the lack of turbo lag ) and highways ( thanks to the combination of tall 5th gear, excellent braking and high speed stability ). And Yeah, my friends alleg that I sleep inside the Etios. LOL. That explains the high clocking of the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintomin View Post

Can you please provide the cost of V-Kool sun films and parking sensors. Also the place you got it done. I'll soon be getting my Rapid TDI and will also need these accessories.
V-Kool 70 Costs
Side glasses and rear glass - Rs. 22,000/-
Front windshield - Rs. 11,000/-

Parking sensors costed me Rs. 4,000/- odd

Quote:
Congratulations. Very good unbiased report. Loved every part of it. I'll definitely recommend this thread to any of my friends who is a prospective buyer of Etios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
Fantastic review Amalji.
Quote:
Fantastic review. I am considering the Etios D, and this review provides me with valuable inputs
Quote:
Very well written - compact too. Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!
Quote:
Super review ! Thoroughly enjoyed the report.
The hidden beauties of Etios actually pretty well mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A lovely review with loads of information. Thank you very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Thank God after a long time, I got an honest reviews on Toyota ETIOS. Congratulations amalji on buying the Toyota ETIOS VD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Oh my god never seen such a comprehensive ownership report with torque curves. Thanks for the review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Congrats Amalji on your great purchase and equally great write up.
Quote:
But primarily Hats off your fantabulous comprehensive review. Quite an eye opener to many prospective Etios Diesel customers.
Quote:
@gufrmblr @heman_369 @nilanjanray @swiftnfurious @Turbokick @bblost @CRtorquefan @venki.bala @Rameshdude @parsh @kevintomin - Thanks for the generous words. I'm privileged to be part of this great community - team-bhp and your kind words will surely motivate members like me to contribute more towards this community.

Quote:
Etios is a very decent package except the interior design. Do share some pictures of the interiors too. Wishing you many happy trouble free miles.
Quote:
Please do upload more pics. We would love to see those.
Quote:
Even if you do not want to post regular noon-n-corner pics of your Etios, that will be good is to see pics with various accessories fittings and in action like entire music system, reverse sensors and also with it costs of various items etc.
Ok, will add photos. I might need a couple of weeks to compose a good set of photos without being repetitive since a lot of photos on Etios and Liva has already been posted on team-bhp.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th January 2012 at 19:59.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:48   #18
BHPian

Hey amalji,

That's a fabulous ownership report - honest with great detailing, to-the-point and fuss-free - just like the car itself! Well worth the time spent in Assembly Line section! A few tidbits from my side...
  • The speed-rpm mapping given by you will be useful to many owning lower variants sans tacho.
  • Your wish-list for Etios upgrade is well thought-out and spot-on except maybe the 6th gear - too much to expect from an entry-level sedan?! But I do wish for the petrol variant to get a taller gear for the reasons mentioned by you.
  • I'd say you've hardly lost anything by SX4 being out of your budget. I opted for Etios over SX4 for superior ride & handling, greater comfort, and also lighter clutch for petrol-to-petrol comparison, even though SX4 appears way more VFM with numerous goodies thrown in. But my concept of VFM is different! And w.r.t. interiors, SX4 interiors are also not very tastefully done IMO.
  • I too did not post pics initially as I too thought GTO had left little room after the usual unbeatable review. But boy, BHPian do love pics!

Enjoy crunching miles after happy miles on this amazing sedan.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The Toyota Etios Diesel is a practical car with very good drivability, handling, comfort and space. The compromise is the looks of the interior. I'm glad I bought this gem and I relish every minute inside my Etios.
Hi amalji,
Excellent ! A truly comprehensive, informative reports which will go miles in helping prospective customers.
Delighted to have gone through the review.
Congratulations and do keep sharing your experiences.

Quote:
Fantastic review. I am considering the Etios D, and this review provides me with valuable inputs.
Huh ? Where's Bison going ? Or a companion for the Bison ? I guess the Toyota peace of mind factor and quality is driving your thought process ?
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Huh ? Where's Bison going ? Or a companion for the Bison ? I guess the Toyota peace of mind factor and quality is driving your thought process ?
The Bison is not going anywhere. The SX4 might be going due to 2000-2400km of running per month on petrol, and so the Bison is wondering whether it makes sense to go for a baby cousin from the same tribe running on Diesel.

I would have loved to have the SX4 diesel, but that is out of budget. Want to stick to Maruti or Toyota. Etios D and Dzire are the contenders.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 3rd January 2012 at 14:32.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
The Decision Process

After sales, niggle free experience and cheap cost of maintenance were my top most priorities while buying the car.
ABS and airbags were a must.
Budget in the range of 6 lakhs to 8 lakhs.
Wanted decent boot space.

With those factors in mind, these were the cars, I shortlisted.

1) Toyota Etios Petrol/Diesel
2) Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire Petrol/Diesel ( Swift was also in the reckoning. Infact, I even booked the new Swift ZDi before its release. But, the ever decreasing boot space combined with the poor ergonomics for the driver , lack of rear leg space and cargo like ambiance {quoting GTO's words here} on the rear made me eliminate that option inspite of that fantastic DDiS engine and sporty looks )
3) Honda Jazz Petrol
4) Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel was considered but, it went out of my budget range for the variant with ABS and airbag. If the cheaper variants of SX4 diesel had an ABS/airbag option, I would have given it some serious thought.
Awesome ownership report for an awesome product. After reading your report, I wish I could have waited for the diesel version :-)

Wishing you a million happy miles with Etios.

Last edited by amateurpro : 3rd January 2012 at 22:23.
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 17:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Hey amalji,

That's a fabulous ownership report - honest with great detailing, to-the-point and fuss-free - just like the car itself! Well worth the time spent in Assembly Line section!
  • Thank you, @RadiantKarma. The review and posts by you did help me a lot in solidifying the confidence in the car and eventually making the right choice. Thanks a ton for that.

Quote:
  • The speed-rpm mapping given by you will be useful to many owning lower variants sans tacho.
  • Yeah, that was the very reason why I did the mapping.

Quote:
  • Your wish-list for Etios upgrade is well thought-out and spot-on except maybe the 6th gear - too much to expect from an entry-level sedan?! But I do wish for the petrol variant to get a taller gear for the reasons mentioned by you.
  • The reasons that made me suggest that point are

1) Diesel torque, eventhough much higher than a Petrol vehicle is available only in a very limited range of rpms. In the case of Etios, I love driving the vehicle between 1500 and 3000 rpms. To compensate for that, the Toyota engineers has designed the gear ratios pretty well by making it tall. Having a 6th gear would make it even better without having to spend cost on making a better engine.

2) Etios is going to compete with the Dinosaur of Indian Automobile industry - Maruti. So, I believe Toyota should provide every cost effective option that will make the vehicle a superior one. And, I believe the 6-speed gearbox wouldn't have dug much of a hole in Toyota's pocket and would have been a trend-setter in the segment.

Quote:
  • I'd say you've hardly lost anything by SX4 being out of your budget. I opted for Etios over SX4 for superior ride & handling, greater comfort, and also lighter clutch for petrol-to-petrol comparison, even though SX4 appears way more VFM with numerous goodies thrown in. But my concept of VFM is different! And w.r.t. interiors, SX4 interiors are also not very tastefully done IMO.
  • For me, the main attraction was the 90 PS DDiS and the very binding relation I have with Maruti Service Masters in Cochin. Anyway, I don't repent my decision on buying the Etios Diesel one bit, because it seems to be providing me with better drivability, dynamics. And initial experience with Toyota after sales even suggest a better after sales support experience. I hope, it continues that way.

Quote:
  • I too did not post pics initially as I too thought GTO had left little room after the usual unbeatable review. But boy, BHPian do love pics!
Quote:
Enjoy crunching miles after happy miles on this amazing sedan.
True, I am a bit slow with these stuffs. So, it might take a few weeks for me. But, I'll surely post a series of pictures of the Toyota Etios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi amalji,
Excellent ! A truly comprehensive, informative reports which will go miles in helping prospective customers.
Delighted to have gone through the review.
Congratulations and do keep sharing your experiences.
Thank you, @Guderian for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
Awesome ownership report for an awesome product. After reading your report, I wish I could have waited for the diesel version :-)

Wishing you a million happy miles with Etios.
The Etios Petrol is indeed the most fun to drive vehicle in the segment. But, if you run more than 10,000 kms per year, it digs a hole in the pocket. Other than that, it is a fantastic car. We even booked the Etios Petrol and then cancelled it due to the ever increasing Petrol prices.

Quote:
Can you please provide the cost of V-Kool sun films and parking sensors. Also the place you got it done.

I'll soon be getting my Rapid TDI and will also need these accessories.
I forgot to post the information about the dealer from where I got it done.
V-Kool 70, I did it direct from the V-Kool dealer in Cochin ( Nettoor NH Byepass )
With regards to the parking sensors, I got it done from Trivandrum Nippon Toyota

Quote:
2. Is the lack of space in Dzire rear seat significant compared to that of the Etios?
Yes, the difference is significant.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 18:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, @RadiantKarma. The review and posts by you did help me a lot in solidifying the confidence in the car and eventually making the right choice. Thanks a ton for that.
Glad to know my views helped in decision-making for someone as knowledgeable as you. Even more glad to know that your ownership experience is mighty positive.

Quote:
Yeah, that was the very reason why I did the mapping.
So very thoughtful of you to have put in so much effort! Thanks again mate!

Quote:
The reasons that made me suggest that point are

1) Diesel torque, eventhough much higher than a Petrol vehicle is available only in a very limited range of rpms. In the case of Etios, I love driving the vehicle between 1500 and 3000 rpms. To compensate for that, the Toyota engineers has designed the gear ratios pretty well by making it tall. Having a 6th gear would make it even better without having to spend cost on making a better engine.

2) Etios is going to compete with the Dinosaur of Indian Automobile industry - Maruti. So, I believe Toyota should provide every cost effective option that will make the vehicle a superior one. And, I believe the 6-speed gearbox wouldn't have dug much of a hole in Toyota's pocket and would have been a trend-setter in the segment.
6th gear would sure offer greater driveability. If it indeed doesn't cost much, I hope Toyota is listening in to your suggestion!

Quote:
The Bison is not going anywhere. The SX4 might be going due to 2000-2400km of running per month on petrol, and so the Bison is wondering whether it makes sense to go for a baby cousin from the same tribe running on Diesel.
Ah, I can see now where you're coming from! Well, to your earlier query, I'd only supplement, to what other have said, that there can be no comparison between DZire and Etios on space department. To help you further with the decision-making, here is a thread - in case you've missed out - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...d-etios-d.html.

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 4th January 2012 at 18:11.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 18:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:

The Etios Petrol is indeed the most fun to drive vehicle in the segment. But, if you run more than 10,000 kms per year, it digs a hole in the pocket. Other than that, it is a fantastic car. We even booked the Etios Petrol and then cancelled it due to the ever increasing Petrol prices.

You are right. I am in the border category (around 12000 km / year) and so it is a close call between petrol and diesel. Other than that, petrol is fun-to-drive and I am happy. I am happy to know that Etios - Diesel is rocking too.

You are right on the rear bench being more comfortable than many other cars with identical width (Dzire surprisingly share the same external width though it sports a cramped rear seat). Toyota has delighted us by giving more space inside without occupying more space outside. The biggest surprise is the boot space which is more than that of City, Vento, Corolla, SX4, Verna and even Manza. All these cars incidentally are longer than Etios!!!!!!
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 00:24   #25
BHPian

Bumping in again. Forgot to ask you this earlier...
Quote:
The clutch on the Etios Diesel is hard and lady drivers especially won't enjoy it, if they try to use the clutch like in Petrol cars.
Many reviewers have mentioned about hard clutch. Well, in comparison with petrols, the clutch has to be hard. Vi6629 has mentioned in his official review thread that Etios diesel clutch is among the lightest in the segment. How do you find the clutch in comparison with other diesels?

Quote:
We need to use the low end torque of the Diesel heart to your advantage by fully releasing the clutch on lower gears for rolling the vehicle at slow speeds.
Could you elaborate this? Do you mean that even in bumper-to-bumper traffic, one need not use the clutch while braking the vehicle even an any slow speeds as long as it's not stationary? Or are you talking about the flat torque curve that lets one drive without frequent gear changes?
Old 5th January 2012, 09:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
You are right on the rear bench being more comfortable than many other cars with identical width (Dzire surprisingly share the same external width though it sports a cramped rear seat). Toyota has delighted us by giving more space inside without occupying more space outside. The biggest surprise is the boot space which is more than that of City, Vento, Corolla, SX4, Verna and even Manza. All these cars incidentally are longer than Etios!!!!!!
+1. Even though the Etios doesn't leave a long foot print, it has the longest wheel base in its class, even longer than the Manza which adds to the comfort and high speed stability.

Quote:
Bumping in again. Forgot to ask you this earlier...

Many reviewers have mentioned about hard clutch. Well, in comparison with petrols, the clutch has to be hard. Vi6629 has mentioned in his official review thread that Etios diesel clutch is among the lightest in the segment. How do you find the clutch in comparison with other diesels?
I did read that in @Vid's review. This is one of the very few points that I disagree with @Vid on. The clutch of Etios Diesel does feel slightly more harder than both the Swift DDiS and Figo TDCI

Quote:
Could you elaborate this? Do you mean that even in bumper-to-bumper traffic, one need not use the clutch while braking the vehicle even an any slow speeds as long as it's not stationary? Or are you talking about the flat torque curve that lets one drive without frequent gear changes?
In a diesel vehicle, the torque at very low rpms is high. This is the reason why diesel engines are suited to tug loads and do slow, but tough works like in the case of a tractor. While driving in city traffic where you need to roll at 5kmph, you can just release the clutch slowly without the accelerator and the vehicle will sedately roll without clutch and accelerator input @ around 700 rpms. It will continue rolling through pot holes and small inclines and even humps without accelerator input. Same can be done on 2nd gear as well, if we need to roll at a slightly higher speed ( 10 kmph ). This property of the Diesel engines can be used for clutchless driving on cities and potholed roads.

With regards to using brakes to slow down without depressing the clutch at such slow speeds, even though it's possible on diesel, I'll not recommend it because the engine and brakes will be opposing each other and hence it's not good for both.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:48   #27
BHPian

Very well written Ownership Review of the Etios D. Toyota company will be glad to read this review !

Glad to know that your car's performance is flawless.

Keep updating this thread with time and distances crossing 10/15/20 k kms.

Some pics to go along with your travel will add value to this thread.

Rgds
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 05:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Very well written Ownership Review of the Etios D. Toyota company will be glad to read this review !

Glad to know that your car's performance is flawless.

Keep updating this thread with time and distances crossing 10/15/20 k kms.

Some pics to go along with your travel will add value to this thread.

Rgds
Thanks for the compliment.
Infact, I did share my ownership review with the sales team of Nippon Toyota, Trivandrum. They are happy to see me delighted with the Etios Diesel.

Sure, will post regular updates on the car.

Todo List for now.

1) Photos
2) I'm at 6,100 now. So, waiting for a chance to analyze Toyota Service at 10,000

One thing I'm concerned about with the Etios is the cost of brake pads. From Corolla owners, the brake pads used in Corolla seems to very costly. I guess, the same or similar brake pads should be used in Etios as well. Etios having excellent brakes have changed my driving style a bit as well. I accelerate more during city drives which in turn results in more braking. This kind of driving should surely affect the life of brake pads. Will have to get into conservative mode again. Also, will have to check out the rates for Etios brake pads.

Last edited by amalji : 6th January 2012 at 05:42.
Old 6th January 2012, 13:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
While driving in city traffic where you need to roll at 5kmph, you can just release the clutch slowly without the accelerator and the vehicle will sedately roll without clutch and accelerator input @ around 700 rpms. It will continue rolling through pot holes and small inclines and even humps without accelerator input. Same can be done on 2nd gear as well, if we need to roll at a slightly higher speed ( 10 kmph ). This property of the Diesel engines can be used for clutchless driving on cities and potholed roads.

With regards to using brakes to slow down without depressing the clutch at such slow speeds, even though it's possible on diesel, I'll not recommend it because the engine and brakes will be opposing each other and hence it's not good for both.
It appears like one still needs to use the clutch but the overall effort is less as accelearator use is reduced. Am I right in my understanding?
Old 6th January 2012, 13:49   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It will continue rolling through pot holes and small inclines and even humps without accelerator input. Same can be done on 2nd gear as well, if we need to roll at a slightly higher speed ( 10 kmph ). This property of the Diesel engines can be used for clutchless driving on cities and potholed roads.
How will this lead to clutchless driving? Infact wouldn't this increase the load on the clutch as you will need to play with it continuously in order to ensure that the car is crawling? Sorry I am a little confused here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks