Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 19:45   #166
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The Decision Process

After sales, niggle free experience and cheap cost of maintenance were my top most priorities while buying the car.
ABS and airbags were a must.
Budget in the range of 6 lakhs to 8 lakhs.
Wanted decent boot space.
This is perfect amalji. This is really the crux for me which is why I was inclined towards Etios (P) or (D). Nobody would want to have niggles after paying 6 - 8 lakhs, safety (ABS, airbags et all) is paramount thanks to the roads and errant drivers and definitely boot space. Ground clearance IMHO is also a key factor for our kind of roads with huge speed breakers.
Old 5th April 2013, 18:25   #167
Senior - BHPian

For the last 1 week, I'm using my mother's Liva. ( Motherji stole my Etios. )
So, I'm enjoying the maneuverability of the Liva in city traffic.

I haven't been adding any accessories recently. There is one accessory which caught my eye - 3m nomad mats ( seen at 3m dealer shop, palarivattom - vytilla NH47 bye-pass )
It costs around 4500. But from the demo I saw, it seems to be worth every penny. They poured dust and water on it, and it absorbed all of that gracefully. On the outside, it remained clean as if nothing happened!

I had used a similar kind of mat on my old Esteem. But, that was from a local brand and costs just Rs. 1000 odd.
Old 5th April 2013, 20:29   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

This is my first post at Team BHP. In my first post i really like to thank Amalji and Mr Subrata Sen who have helped me giving the information about the suspension change going on for Toyota Etios for those who are having the thud sound while crossing a road hump or a pot hole at a decent speed. I own a 2011 Etios petrol. So i visited my dealership and asked for the upgrade, at first they were reluctant but after giving the reference of Amalji and Mr Subrata Sen who has got there work done, my dealer agreed upon upgrading my suspension to the new one.
Samba is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 20:54   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
This is my first post at Team BHP. In my first post i really like to thank Amalji and Mr Subrata Sen who have helped me giving the information about the suspension change going on for Toyota Etios for those who are having the thud sound while crossing a road hump or a pot hole at a decent speed. I own a 2011 Etios petrol. So i visited my dealership and asked for the upgrade, at first they were reluctant but after giving the reference of Amalji and Mr Subrata Sen who has got there work done, my dealer agreed upon upgrading my suspension to the new one.
Welcome aboard, mate.
People like you in the Etios facebook community is what gave me confidence to continue with my booking of Etios inspite of some stupid negative publicity that the Etios had to face initially.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 02:51   #170
BHPian

@amalji. > did you compare the etios with the amaze in terms of service and spares?

You were keen on the Honda too, have you compared the ride quality at the back?
Old 14th April 2013, 10:22   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
@amalji. > did you compare the etios with the amaze in terms of service and spares?

You were keen on the Honda too, have you compared the ride quality at the back?
  1. In terms of service and spares, I haven't compared it till now. Will be doing it soon. But, Toyota will definitely be cheaper to maintain. Regarding how much costlier the Amaze is to maintain, I'll let you know once I analyze it. Regardless, it should be cheaper to maintain than a Swift.
  2. Ride quality should be again better for the Etios. But, it's not a fare comparison, since Etios is a big sedan with the longest wheel base in its class. Amaze is a sub 4m sedan. Etios suspensions are soft as well. That combined with the huge space inside should make the rear seat comfort better for the Etios than that of the Amaze. But, the rear seat seems to be better in design for the Amaze with better cushion. So, that should have some impact on the rear seat comfort as well. ( I haven't tried it out in real till now. I'm just giving my conclusions based on specs backed by review from team-bhp's best man - GTO ) Will keep you updated once, I try it out in real.

Last edited by amalji : 14th April 2013 at 10:25.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 13:34   #172

My Etios (G) petrol third service is due in one month's time. I am checking the possibility of new shockers and hydraulic mounting on my 2011 etios.

It has been giving me a mileage of 17.1 kmpl in city (without AC) and 13 kmpl in city (with 100% AC). On highways, i recorded 20.29 kmpl (without AC) and 16 kmpl (with AC). All figures are tankful to tankful basis.
(Android application: Fuel Log Pro)

I am very happy with the car.

- Varun
Old 19th April 2013, 14:57   #173
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios VD 30,000 service review

Quote:
Without doubt, yes. Several factors lead to that
  • Life time fuel filter
  • Life time timing chain
  • Life time Transmission Oil
  • Life time Clutch Fluid
  • 1,50,000 kms replacement interval coolant
  • 40,000 replacement interval air filter
  • Mineral oil by default ( Toyota doesn't force synthetic oil on its customers )
  • The Toyota exclusive SMILES pack option
  • Fast and efficient work force ( 2 hour express service )
  • Long life piezo electric injectors ( vs Solenoid ones )
Nice to know that Etios gives a satisfying performance. I generally hear a comment that Japanese engines (60K+ Kms)do not last longer like German or American ones (1 Lakh+ Kms). Can any long time owner of Toyota Etios throw some light on this please...
Old 19th April 2013, 15:09   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post

Nice to know that Etios gives a satisfying performance. I generally hear a comment that Japanese engines (60K+ Kms)do not last longer like German or American ones (1 Lakh+ Kms). Can any long time owner of Toyota Etios throw some light on this please...
That's wrong info that you got. Infact, it's the reverse. Japanese engines lasts for lakhs ( not 1 lakh ) of kms. Try purchasing an innova which has done 1 lakh kms. It'll still cost you 10 lakhs plus. An innova engine normally performs perfectly for 4-5 lakhs without any hassle. Japanese cars are designed to last really long not so the case with American cars. It's for the same reason that Japanese cars fetch good resale even in US.
Old 19th April 2013, 15:17   #175
BHPian

Quote:

I generally hear a comment that Japanese engines (60K+ Kms)do not last longer like German or American ones (1 Lakh+ Kms). Can any long time owner of Toyota Etios throw some light on this please...
LOL! Who gave that info? :P

Japanese engines last longer than the European amd American ones!
Toyota and Honda engines are known for their longevity!
In middle east, there are Land Cruisers that run like new even with 3-4L kms on the odo.
The Innova for instance, i have seen many Innovas with 90k -1L kms on the odo that have an asking price of 10+L. Even the age old Qualis fetches 4-5L in the market with 1L on the odo.
You should probably watch "Killing a Toyota" episode on Top gear!
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 16:56   #176
Senior - BHPian

Etios is running perfectly as usual and is now at 32,000 kms. The running has slowed down a bit because I'm into weight loss mode now. ( Lost 10 kgs in the last 3 months thanks to Noom )

Bought 2 accessories from Toyota for my Etios
  1. Rear arm rest ( 2,000/- INR )
  2. Diesel stickers on fuel lid ( 200/- INR )

Both are genuine Toyota ones.

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-etios_rear_armrest.jpg
As with most things with Etios interior design, this accessory is not aesthetically good. Talk about functionality and it's right there at the top again as with the other design elements of the Etios.
  • Very soft fabric ==> Quite comfortable to place your hands on
  • That extra height ensures that your shoulders do not hang at all at different positions. It's very chair like positioning.
  • 2 big cup holders with bush at the bottom to reduce rubbing sound when something is kept inside it.
  • Wide enough for 2 persons on both sides to comfortably place their hands.
  • When you don't need it, you can easily remove it and place it in your boot. Added advantage of this design is that the 5th person doesn't feel the arm rest on his back as in normal arm rest designs.
  • Can possibly be retrofitted on any other car as well.

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-img_3900.jpg
That's the clip which ensures that the arm rest don't float around. There is another one on the back side as well attached below the rear end of the rear seat.

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-etios_rear_armrest3.jpg
A closer view of the fabric used.

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-etios_rear_armrest4.jpg
Cup holders with the mat at the bottom.

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-diesel_sticker.jpg
Diesel fuel lid stickers from Toyota. More than the looks, serves the purpose.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 20:08   #177
BHPian

What's the procedure for removing and refixing the rear arm rest?
Old 20th April 2013, 04:11   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
What's the procedure for removing and refixing the rear arm rest?
See pictures below.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130420_040551.png
Views: 4377
Size:  349.7 KB
There is a belt which is fixed ( as part of the accessory ) underneath the rear seat. One clip hangs on the front side of rest seat whereas the next one is near the seat belt button on the rear seat.
The picture shows the one on the front side.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130420_040612.png
Views: 4329
Size:  417.1 KB
That's the clip on the rear side.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130420_040629.png
Views: 4197
Size:  360.8 KB
Attaching to the rear clip

Name:  ForumRunner_20130420_040639.png
Views: 4337
Size:  369.8 KB
Self explanatory ( and that's my friend - Rai. Thanks to him for being patient with me. ). :-)
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 16:06   #179
BHPian

Quote:
That's wrong info that you got. Infact, it's the reverse. Japanese engines lasts for lakhs ( not 1 lakh ) of kms. Try purchasing an innova which has done 1 lakh kms. It'll still cost you 10 lakhs plus. An innova engine normally performs perfectly for 4-5 lakhs without any hassle. Japanese cars are designed to last really long not so the case with American cars. It's for the same reason that Japanese cars fetch good resale even in US.
Amalji, thanks for the info. I am planning for a change at the year end (from Logan) and my only worry was about the longivity of Engine as I generally keep a car for 6 to 8 years. Have to choose any one from Fluidic Verna, Toyota Etios, Ranault Scala or Ford New Fiesta.
Old 20th April 2013, 16:14   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amalji, thanks for the info. I am planning for a change at the year end (from Logan) and my only worry was about the longivity of Engine as I generally keep a car for 6 to 8 years. Have to choose any one from Fluidic Verna, Toyota Etios, Ranault Scala or Ford New Fiesta.
I too buy a car for 10 years ( not the normal 5 year EMI period ) and cars from Japanese manufacturers like Toyota are easily capable of lasting that long.

Verna will give you high maintenance cost post 60 to 80 k.
Scala should last long thanks to that excellent engine. Only negative are the brakes and high speed stability.
Ford Fiesta is an excellent buy as far as most of the parameters are concerned. With regards to durability, American cars do not have good reputation though.
Amaze would be another good option as well. The diesel engine is not tested as good as the Toyota D-4D or the Renault ones, but, it should be a safe bet considering that it's coming from Honda. The only negative is that it's not as spacious as the Etios. So, if you are ok with it, it should be a good buy as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks