Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2014, 20:46   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4

Its looking taller without the side steps and looks better in my opinion. Get the exhaust painted black, won't be so obvious then.

How about modify the exhaust and taking it out through the side

Last edited by Altocumulus : 10th November 2014 at 20:48.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 20:42   #122
Senior - BHPian

Looks good apart from the pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
You all are young enough to jump in/ out of the vehicle! If you are thinking of sidesteps, you are too old. Sedans for you then.
Now THAT's the spirit... I hope I'll still have it when (/if) I finally one day arrive at official senior-citizen status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I would recommend aftermarket rock sliders fabricated by a good workshop. This will not only enhance the looks but also protect the bodywork.
Good idea. All of the (albeit light) body damage incurred on the Marshal these past couple years of ownership was in the rocker panels - rest of the bodywork is normally too high to hit much of anything. Once it was a drunk driver that sideswiped us, and once my very sober and beloved - but not excessively coordinated in that case - wife who took a turn too tight and hit a high concrete curb, but anyway both damages would've been prevented by some kind of decent side rails (I do not say side"steps", because light-duty stock types always get banged up and nasty before anything else).

In my laptop back in H.P.(sorry) I've got a photo of a U.S.-based CJ with nice, clean, no-frills 2" diameter round-tube rocker panel guards, that turn in nicely at each end. Look really good and very functional, and won't mess with ground clearance much if mounted fairly high. I'd already bought the material to make them for the Marshal but ran out of time before leaving. Some guys up in H.P. mount these directly to the chassis with a u-type bolt-on bracket, and that's the way to go if you want body protection. Floor-pan mounts are comparatively weak and mess up your floor pan if they get hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
How about modify the exhaust and taking it out through the side
With the Marshal's exhaust system reduced to a pathetically patched-up, convoluted, carbon-fouled mess, I actually cut out the whole front/center section and replaced it with an absolutely straight piece that runs completely inboard, directly through (above) the transmission crossmember. Tight fit with our 2" pipe (even had to trim a superficial tab off the transfer case), so guessing it'd be even tighter with your larger dia (Turbo-spec) pipe. Then again, maybe not, since I was also dealing with a mechanical clutch linkage and yours is cable-op. So might be possible with a dimple or two). Sorry no photos here, we're a couple thousand km's away from our car at the moment (can you wait till March? :-) ).

Benefits are less backpressure (IP properly re-tuned, adds power/mileage), a much neater / lighter weight setup (less broken hangers/brackets on rough tracks), and more outboard ground clearance. Ditched the resonator (that ugly outboard thing on your car) entirely. From the crossmember back, utilized an HMT-tractor-spec (3522) silencer, which is a lot less heavily baffled than the stock unit, with a much bigger ID also, but longer in length, so not as loud as I'd worried it would be. Genuine one can be bought (even in H.P.) for Rs1000 or less, which I'd call dirt cheap. Turbos run quieter at the pipe anyway, the gases having gone through a turbine already. On the MDI, it's a little raspy at just one particular higher rpm, kind of like old 60's-style glasspacks on an American V8... (the bark obviously worse than the bite in this case!) but not hard to avoid that rpm; and I kind of like the raspy note on occasion (turns a few heads ). Not recommending it in the event your RTO is an anal-retentive type and they bother about this sort of harmless (even beneficial) mod.

Anyway, the straight pipe idea might be worth a look, if the ugly resonator still offends, post addition of custom side-rails.

-Eric

P.S. re: your leaf-spring work, it looks to have raised it some vs. stock 4x4 Boleros. Friend just got a brand-new LX (MDI-TC, 4x4), and I was surprised to find it riding so hard - and yet still hitting the front stops, repeatedly bottoming out on our road in places the Marshal has NEVER bottomed even when driven at higher speed. Then I looked under the Bolero and saw the front axle was sitting only about an inch below the stops - and that the stops themselves were only about an inch thick, vs. our Marshal's roughly 2" ones. Not sure what you got done to your springs, but if my friend's car was "normal", I'm thinking such mods have got to be a top-priority upgrade to stock Bolero 4x4's.

Last edited by ringoism : 20th December 2014 at 21:02.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 21:38   #123
Team-BHP Support

Today is the 3rd birthday of The White Tusker and celebrated with a soft roading meet with fellow tbhpians!! The current odo stands at 56971 Kms. Thanks to bhpians Himadri, Avrendu, Amin, Partha and Debjit for taking out time for the meet at a very short notice. Uploading a few pics of the meet, pictures courtesy Amin, Debjit and Partha.

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_3452.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_3453.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_3455.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_3456.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_3457.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_3459.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_3461.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_3463.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_3464.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_3465.jpg
BlackPearl is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 19:12   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Today is the 3rd birthday of The White Tusker
A late congratulations, Sumitro. Car's looking well-cared-for and just as appealing aesthetically (or more so) than the Thars alongside. There are times I wish I'd bought a Bolero like yours vs. messing around with the more "classic" Marshal (in terms of styling but unfortunately also maintenance demands). Basic character is similar, though: rugged, no-frills simplicity - you've got a great vehicle there.

Can see you've got new wheels (/tyres?) since your previous photos; can't recall whether they were already there when I was in Kolkata. What are they (size/brand)?

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 25th May 2015 at 19:14.
Old 26th May 2015, 11:49   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
A late congratulations, Sumitro. Car's looking well-cared-for and just as appealing aesthetically (or more so) than the Thars alongside. There are times I wish I'd bought a Bolero like yours vs. messing around with the more "classic" Marshal (in terms of styling but unfortunately also maintenance demands). Basic character is similar, though: rugged, no-frills simplicity - you've got a great vehicle there.

Can see you've got new wheels (/tyres?) since your previous photos; can't recall whether they were already there when I was in Kolkata. What are they (size/brand)?

-Eric
Thank you Eric for the nice words about the Bolero. Personally I like the looks of the Marshal more. Even the previous gen Bolero with those square headlights looked better. I feel Mahindra is messing up the looks with each update.
The tyres are Michelin LTX AT (235/75/R15) that I got last year before the Ladakh trip. The alloys are recent additions. These are pre-owned HRS alloys that I got from a friend at a decent price. At first I had put these on the Thar but then shifted them back to the Bolero.
Old 21st July 2015, 16:49   #126
BHPian

Hey BlackPearl !!

Anybody not wanting to buy a Bolero shall definitely buy one after reading through this thread of your's. A live example being our very dear BHPian JKDS !! Actually, there is no reason not to as Mahindra Bolero still is India's Highest Selling SUV and you have the 4x4 Avatar of it. Cannot get better.

I personally loved the looks of the previous Bolero with the rectangular lights. Used to look fabulous !!

Some very tastefully done up Mods definitely make The White Tusker a distinguished ride amongst the others in the crowd.

Taking the opportunity to share a few Pics of your Bolero which was recently clicked by me (hope you would not mind) :

@ the TEAM BHP Monsoon Meet :
BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-sumitros-bolero-ii.jpg

@ Sukhnopukur - The Bolero's Very Own Playground :
BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-sumitros-bolero.jpg

Keep on taking anything that comes your way with the White Tusker !! Wishing you countless miles on this one
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 22:49   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Blackperl, did you increase the ride height or is it just the bigger tyres that give a higher stance?
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:23   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Hey BlackPearl !!

Anybody not wanting to buy a Bolero shall definitely buy one after reading through this thread of your's. A live example being our very dear BHPian JKDS !! Actually, there is no reason not to as Mahindra Bolero still is India's Highest Selling SUV and you have the 4x4 Avatar of it. Cannot get better.

I personally loved the looks of the previous Bolero with the rectangular lights. Used to look fabulous !!

Some very tastefully done up Mods definitely make The White Tusker a distinguished ride amongst the others in the crowd.

Taking the opportunity to share a few Pics of your Bolero which was recently clicked by me (hope you would not mind) :

@ the TEAM BHP Monsoon Meet :
Attachment 1394067

@ Sukhnopukur - The Bolero's Very Own Playground :
Attachment 1394068

Keep on taking anything that comes your way with the White Tusker !! Wishing you countless miles on this one
Thanks a lot Arav for the nice words and the pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Blackperl, did you increase the ride height or is it just the bigger tyres that give a higher stance?
It is just the bigger tyres @4x4addict
Old 22nd February 2016, 21:59   #129
Team-BHP Support

Another year passed by, today was the 4th birthday of the Bolero. The current Odo stands at 68K kilometers. Nothing to report as such except posting a few pictures taken during last weeks off-roading. Pics are taken from the Kolkata off-roader thread and photo credits to Samba and AJ-Got-BHP.

Guided by the legendary UBS Sir..
BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_9959.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-bp-5.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-bp-6.jpg
BlackPearl is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 14:55   #130
Team-BHP Support

A pic of the Bolero from yesterdays offroading, picture credit to our very own Samba..

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-bolero.jpg
Old 1st May 2016, 01:19   #131
Team-BHP Support

The front propeller shaft in my Bolero has got some play and making quite a bit of noise on sudden deceleration from 90 plus speed. Thanks to SS-Traveller for pointing out the issue during his recent Kolkata visit. I need to get it fixed. A free-wheeling hub would have increased the longevity of the part.
BlackPearl is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 15:06   #132
Team-BHP Support

70 Thousand kilometers update - Lamda FWH fitted

The White Tusker completed 70K kilometers a few days back. Got the Lamda Free Wheeling Hubs fitted. A big thanks to swastikviji for promptly shipping them. It reached me in less than 3 days after ordering and he had sent me the AWB number even before the money got transferred to his account. Maybe this level of trust is only for team-bhp members

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Dear Offroaders Good News From Lamda components, Now They are offering Two Years warranty on all their Range of free wheel Hubs, Any issues about warranty please let me know i will solve it
It was quite easy to install the hubs. Found a person in the FNG who had previously worked on Aisin FWHs on the first generation gypsy.

Though it is too early to say anything about benefits of this install, the steering has become a lot lighter. Will keep on updating this thread. Need to meticulously remember to engage the hubs once in a while.

A few pics -

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20160608_111109.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20160608_121256.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20160608_121332.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20160608_121339.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20160608_121407.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20160608_150053.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 20th June 2016 at 15:08.
Old 20th June 2016, 18:48   #133
Senior - BHPian

Hey buddy, good to see you still enjoying your car. The hubs are a good addition IMO without any serious downsides. Mine are old and battered, having scraped a lot of rocks (before my time), but they still work fine.

Was wondering, if you're ever at your local M&M showroom there, if you could inquire as to whether the LX 4x4 is still available. I know these were always special order (a friend here bought one a year and a half ago), but am now told by the local showroom here that production has permanently ceased as of 3-4 months ago. Website still shows both it and the Plus 4x4 as available, so I don't know. I was looking into it on behalf of a local NGO who really needs something simple/rugged to replace an old Commander. Looks like options are steadily disappearing.

Not much going on with our Marshal. It seems to have settled out mostly and is not requiring much attention, at least for low-key local plying. Wife still wants the interior work completed of course (one of these days...).

Many Thanks,
Eric
Old 29th June 2016, 13:33   #134
BHPian

Mahindra Bolero - Wish List

Hi,

This is not exactly a long term ownership review. My Bolero is 9 Years and 100000Km old and there are certain things which I wished the "more knowledgeable" Mahindra would think about and do something about. But the mighty Mahindra were busy with redesigning grills, logo projection from side mirrors, adding "Welcome to Mahindra Bolero" voice and such important stuff. Can't blame them.

So here are some things I wished they thought of in a Bolero in no particular order. No, i'm not asking for Twin Turbos or 150bhp.

1. Split / Collapsible Middle Row Seats. Rocket science?
2. Relocating the rear number plate from that MOST STUPID place to below the Rear Door handle. Rocket science?
3. Better Windshield Wiper angle / mechanism so that it doesn't leave an uncleaned "pizza slice" section on the driver's side which creates sort of a "blind spot".
4. Taller gear lever with a shorter throw.....which means "bring the fulcrum up".
5. Front wheels splash water onto the windscreen blinding the driver. Mahindra, still clueless after so many years?
6. Matching the front and rear track widths.

Just the simple and obvious stuff. I'm leaving the engine / transmission / suspension untouched. Anybody wish to add more? No twin turbos and such stuff please.

Thanks,

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 17:29   #135
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Bolero - Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Hi,

This is not exactly a long term ownership review. My Bolero is 9 Years and 100000Km old and there are certain things which I wished the "more knowledgeable" Mahindra would think about and do something about. But the mighty Mahindra were busy with redesigning grills, logo projection from side mirrors, adding "Welcome to Mahindra Bolero" voice and such important stuff. Can't blame them.

So here are some things I wished they thought of in a Bolero in no particular order. No, i'm not asking for Twin Turbos or 150bhp.

1. Split / Collapsible Middle Row Seats. Rocket science?
2. Relocating the rear number plate from that MOST STUPID place to below the Rear Door handle. Rocket science?
3. Better Windshield Wiper angle / mechanism so that it doesn't leave an uncleaned "pizza slice" section on the driver's side which creates sort of a "blind spot".
4. Taller gear lever with a shorter throw.....which means "bring the fulcrum up".
5. Front wheels splash water onto the windscreen blinding the driver. Mahindra, still clueless after so many years?
6. Matching the front and rear track widths.

Just the simple and obvious stuff. I'm leaving the engine / transmission / suspension untouched. Anybody wish to add more? No twin turbos and such stuff please.

Thanks,

-- Torqy
Wholeheartedly agree to all your points. Wish Mahindra could be listening. It is such a lovely vehicle and could have been so much better with the modifications that you have mentioned.

I would like to add 2 points to your list -

7. Proper designing of the clutch U pipe (or at least proper protection) that juts out and is prone to break during off-roading.
8. Good quality roof rails that would be easier to use for racks rather than using the rain channels.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks