Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2012, 16:43   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Aha...dkaile...that explains it !
This thread seems to updated well as compared to the Falcon's. Rather unfair wouldn't you say ?
Good to see the progress with/on the Superb. Appears you seem to be tilted towards this set of wheels than the other and enjoying it.
Incidentally, what's the service interval of the Superb (in KMs) ? Same as the Yeti 15K KMs ?
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 17:17   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
This thread seems to updated well as compared to the Falcon's. Rather unfair wouldn't you say ?
Good to see the progress with/on the Superb. Appears you seem to be tilted towards this set of wheels than the other and enjoying it.
Incidentally, what's the service interval of the Superb (in KMs) ? Same as the Yeti 15K KMs ?
Yes General. Falcon is being ignored and mr dkaile is even taking his new love (superb) to wild life parks.

Dkaile,

how is the battery now ? Any other signs of weak battery ? Which make is it ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 19:16   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Pleading Guilty Herr' Generale'. I have updated the Falcon thread though - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2962059 .

Also, as I said there, peace time has made me a bit smitten by the company of the luxurious 'Czech Maiden' more than the brute 'Spartan Warrior'. But worry not, as soon as you sound the war drums the Falcon will be roaring all guns blazing...

Yes Sir, the service interval is in fact 15k kms or 1 year though I presume my car will go in for it at about 10k kms/ 1 year mark, which I feel is more appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
how is the battery now ? Any other signs of weak battery ? Which make is it ?
The battery is doing just fine after that initial episode. No further drama on that account. It is a 'VARTA' Czech made battery. Though after that episode, I do crank up the car now at least once a week if its not driven.

And yes, I wanted to test the the bad road capabilities of the Superb too and it came through with flying colours. Also it carries the family with a wee bit more luxury which they enjoy. So basically I have no say in which car to take out for these long drives nowadays.

Last edited by dkaile : 14th November 2012 at 19:27.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 09:17   #304
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Also, as I said there, peace time has made me a bit smitten by the company of the luxurious 'Czech Maiden' more than the brute 'Spartan Warrior'.
You are one of the few people on TBHP who own an SUV and a sedan. More so, a "rock hard" truck and a "super luxury" car.

Off late, I ve observed that your usage of the Fortuner has reduced and the Superb seems to serve you, well, Superbly. Touchwood.

This brings to mind a couple of questions.

1. Do you feel that it is better for most of us to go for a better equipped, comfortable, luxurious sedan than a bare bones SUV at the same price?

2. Given a chance to rethink your decision today, would you have still bought the Fortuner and if yes, why?
Would it not be prudent to hire an MUV/SUV for that rare trip where the Superb could have faced some issues?
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 09:35   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This brings to mind a couple of questions.

1. Do you feel that it is better for most of us to go for a better equipped, comfortable, luxurious sedan than a bare bones SUV at the same price?

2. Given a chance to rethink your decision today, would you have still bought the Fortuner and if yes, why?
Would it not be prudent to hire an MUV/SUV for that rare trip where the Superb could have faced some issues?
Thanks for the kind words n.devdath.

1. Well, it depends on the individual basically. Both are different class of vehicles and both are very capable in their own right. Both have individual inherent strengths, the Superb has extreme luxury at this price point while the Fortuner has ruggedness and bullet proof reliability in its favour.

2. Yes, I would have. I chose 2 totally different class of vehicles because it made my garage complete with each class of vehicle. I needed 2 vehicles because we are two brothers living together and sharing the vehicles. I never could get comfortable in a hired vehicle because that is not in my nature. And if one can afford it, why not. Regarding Superb facing issues, that is a grey area still, going by Skoda's past reputation in India. However till now the vehicle has not shown any such signs that it will let me down stranded on a highway, fingers crossed.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 23:09   #306

Hi Dheeraj,

This sure is too late, but better late than never. Been thinking of writing this post for months now, but somehow was too bz with work.

I have been following your thread for a few months now, to be precise March, 12, as I was planning on a good D-Segment Car. I always loved the Superb, but was dreading the same after hearing of the *** issues on Teamp-BHP. After going thru your posts, I kinda started getting convinced, to put my money, where my heart was. And, I can tell you after owning the car for almost 5 months and 9000 kms. done, that it was well-worth every paisa I spent.

Well purchased the car in June, 12 and have been enjoying the car, day-in-day-out. THNX so much for spending your time in updating this thread with your experience. It's for people like you, that cars like Superb, which are battered due to a few odd issues/cars and completely berated. My experience with the car and the company has been top-notch so far, including the Free Check-Up at 7,500 Kms.

THNX again Bro. and keep it up.
Shreyance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 12:55   #307
BHPian

Thanks to dkaile for this amazing thread, I have also got myself a Superb MT 1.8. The car has exceeded my expectations over the last few days. The only sad bit being that the front bumper was damaged by a valet parking guy within the first day of the car arriving. Its one of those irritating things that we have to put up with I guess.

Also had a question: the driver's side rear view mirror seems to be a flat mirror rather than a convex one like on the passenger's side. Is this a standard feature?
ac-cobra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 13:11   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyance View Post
And, I can tell you after owning the car for almost 5 months and 9000 kms. done, that it was well-worth every paisa I spent.
Congratulations Shreyance. Do post a ownership thread if possible. Superb is indeed one of the finest cars in India today and is one of the lesser known gems of the Indian car industry, especially at its price point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-cobra View Post
I have also got myself a Superb MT 1.8. The car has exceeded my expectations over the last few days.

Also had a question: the driver's side rear view mirror seems to be a flat mirror rather than a convex one like on the passenger's side. Is this a standard feature?
Congratulations ac-cobra for the 'Superb' acquisition. Sorry to hear about the Valet trouble. I for one never give it to any valet to park it. Call me finicky but I know their standards.

Yes, the Driver's side view mirror is flat whereas the passenger side is wide angle (convex). I don't face any issues due to this combination and it works perfectly for me. Both are also heated btw which is useful during monsoons and they are also anti-glare which works in combination with the anti-glare switch on the internally mounted rear view mirror.

Do post a ownership thread.

Last edited by dkaile : 26th November 2012 at 13:14.
Old 26th November 2012, 15:29   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Shreyance. Do post a ownership thread if possible. Superb is indeed one of the finest cars in India today and is one of the lesser known gems of the Indian car industry, especially at its price point.

Congratulations ac-cobra for the 'Superb' acquisition. Sorry to hear about the Valet trouble. I for one never give it to any valet to park it. Call me finicky but I know their standards.

Yes, the Driver's side view mirror is flat whereas the passenger side is wide angle (convex). I don't face any issues due to this combination and it works perfectly for me. Both are also heated btw which is useful during monsoons and they are also anti-glare which works in combination with the anti-glare switch on the internally mounted rear view mirror.

Do post a ownership thread.
Yes, will pen an ownership thread, but I doubt it will be very different from yours considering our cars are ditto same apart from the colour!

I actually am finding it hard to get used to the flat RVM as it creates a huge blind spot as well as sometimes becomes confusing especially at night because the passenger's mirror has a different focal length.
Old 26th November 2012, 15:46   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I actually am finding it hard to get used to the flat RVM as it creates a huge blind spot as well as sometimes becomes confusing especially at night because the passenger's mirror has a different focal length.
If you are facing issues adjusting with the flat mirror, you can get this replacement convex one from ebay - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SKODA-SUPERB-...-/330667382134 or ask your local ASC if they stock one.
Old 26th November 2012, 15:53   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, will pen an ownership thread, but I doubt it will be very different from yours considering our cars are ditto same apart from the colour!

You can try to source the convex mirror glass from eBay.

I did so for my Laura and it looks something like this

The covex glass basically needs to be stuck on the existing glass. You need to align it carefully. The Laura's ORVMs are non heated, so I did not lose that functionality in my car . Though heated ones are avaialble too on eBay, I would not recommend them. If you're prepared to lose the heating functionality then you can look at these. I find them to be quite useful as I am used to convex ORVMs and can't do without them.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 26th November 2012 at 15:56.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 18:16   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
You can try to source the convex mirror glass from eBay.
=========
I find them to be quite useful as I am used to convex ORVMs and can't do without them.
Cool, will check this out. First I think I will give it a few days to see if I can get used to the mirror as is. Also, can this stick-on mirror accommodate the dimming function?
Old 26th November 2012, 19:16   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
can this stick-on mirror accommodate the dimming function?
I doubt that. I think you will loose that and also the heating function although it says they are available with heating option. But for that I think you will need to replace the existing mirror which may be a tad bit more complicated. You can try contacting that ebay seller for clarifications on these.

Last edited by dkaile : 26th November 2012 at 19:22.
Old 26th November 2012, 22:18   #314
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt that. I think you will loose that and also the heating function although it says they are available with heating option. But for that I think you will need to replace the existing mirror which may be a tad bit more complicated. You can try contacting that ebay seller for clarifications on these.
Will do so. Might also ask Skoda if they have some solution for this.

Other impressions after 4 days ownership (apart from the fact that it is amazing):

- The car seems bigger and more spacious on the inside than it suggests from the outside
- Even though the Superb is electronically complex and feature loaded, the functions are really easy to use and intuitive.
- Not to happy with the Black carpets as they show up dust really easily. Preferred the older beige mats which were more forgiving.
- Keep hitting my left knee on the side of the central console when driving
- The ride quality is supreme. Its got the right balance between stiffness and comfort.
- The rear window is too small and that makes visibility difficult sometimes, especially when parking.
Old 27th November 2012, 10:01   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Not to happy with the Black carpets as they show up dust really easily. Preferred the older beige mats which were more forgiving.
- Keep hitting my left knee on the side of the central console when driving
- The rear window is too small and that makes visibility difficult sometimes, especially when parking.
- Black carpets will be a boon in the long run as marks, if any, won't be visible after cleaning. Beige ones, if soiled, will be visible permanently. You can try using some rubber mats over the carpet mats.
- I had the issue with the knee too, but with so many seat settings, eventually got it sorted by adjusting the seats to my height and length of the legs. Also adjust the steering up and down to get the perfect setting. And then feed it into your desired memory. Memory also remembers the rear view mirror settings. Also set the left rear view mirror for your desired angle while reversing (these are some useful hidden features).
- That is an issue. Use the rear and front sensors in conjunction for parking. They are very accurate. Remember it is a 'big' car and needs a little getting used to its proportions, that's all.

Do post a photo of your beauty.

Last edited by dkaile : 27th November 2012 at 10:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks