Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2013, 22:59   #451
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Nice snaps. The car still retains that fresh out of the showroom look. Has the car been subjected to any waxing/polishing before the photo shoot?
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 10:27   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Actually, we have few nice detailers in NCR, one of them being steam n shine in gurgaon and other one being retro wraps, from where a friend got his punto detailed recently.
That's nice to know, though Gurgaon is a little far but I do keep coming there. Also doesn't steam cleaning the leather seats cause it any harm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Nice snaps. The car still retains that fresh out of the showroom look. Has the car been subjected to any waxing/polishing before the photo shoot?
Thanks. Yes, my man-friday did give it a Formula 1 carnauba wax treatment just prior to the shoot yesterday. That's all I have used for years on all my previous cars without going to any detailer and that has worked well so far for me.
Old 4th August 2013, 21:34   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Wasn't referring to anyone in particular. Mumbai definitely has worse traffic than most other cities. Still if you are getting 6 then it's definitely a cause of worry and needs to be diagnosed.
Moving in dense traffic at crawling speeds with lots of idling while waiting at signals does take its toll on the FE with the 1.8 TSI engine, esp if you have the AC on. In Bangalore, whenever I am driving with AC off, I switch off the engine at signals. But when I have the AC on, I don't bother to switch off as it makes it uncomfortable for the occupants. That's when I find the mileage drops significantly. If the car is on the move for the most part, the mileage rarely drops below 10 kmpl , even when you drive hard. Though I must admit 6 kmpl is extremely rare in my car, even after the stage 1 remap. Cruise at 80 ~ 90 kph in 6th and she'll give 20 kms to the litre. Phenomenal for a 1.8 Lt petrol engine putting out 160 hp and pulling a 1.5 Ton car.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 21:55   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So how well does a Skoda or any other good German car age? Does it start showing signs of wear soon?
Agree fully that this car ages very well. My car is now 3+ years old and has been subject to much abuse by my 6 year old son, but still looks remarkably nice. A friend who has an Accord that is just 6 months older was amazed at how fresh the interiors of my car look.

Quote:
The mileage of 10.4kmpl after a 300+ km drive. When people say that they are getting 6~7 on their VRS's it really makes me wonder about their style of driving or perhaps they are at crawling speeds all the time!
The latter clearly, at least for us Bombayites. Depending on where and when you drive, 6 kmpl might actually be good going - I often get sub 5 kmpl readings on runs to Lower Parel. My overall mileage on my runs to Nariman Point is about 7, and even I have achieved highway mileage of as much as 16 kmpl.

Quote:
The superlative ICE and the 'chiller' of an Auto AC. Very surprised when people complain about the AC. They have definitely upgraded/corrected it.
How often do you have folks in the rear seat? I am usually fine in the front seat with a temperature setting of 24 deg C, but my wife feels hot in the rear seat even at 19-20 deg C. I think the problem is that the fancy vents in the B pillars don't work as well as ordinary rear vents in other cars like our Vento.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 09:21   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
The latter clearly, at least for us Bombayites. Depending on where and when you drive, 6 kmpl might actually be good going - I often get sub 5 kmpl readings on runs to Lower Parel. My overall mileage on my runs to Nariman Point is about 7, and even I have achieved highway mileage of as much as 16 kmpl.

How often do you have folks in the rear seat? I am usually fine in the front seat with a temperature setting of 24 deg C, but my wife feels hot in the rear seat even at 19-20 deg C. I think the problem is that the fancy vents in the B pillars don't work as well as ordinary rear vents in other cars like our Vento.
- Somehow I never managed less than 8kmpl even in the bumper to bumper traffic chaos in Delhi. Just lucky perhaps. I usually end up with a highway mileage of around 13 because of the brisk drive the 1.8 motivates out of you.

- Skoda upgraded the AC compressor in MY 2012 onwards and the 7 DSG software in MY Oct 2011 onwards. I think you still have the old AC compressor setup in your car. Me and my wife are chilled to the bone in the front seats and my very finicky kids always sit in the rear seats and they have never complained about the AC. It chills the complete car at my usual preferred setting of 23 deg for the North Indian climate.
Old 5th August 2013, 09:31   #456
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My mileage achieved was with 60% city driving. Had a interesting incident on the Moradabad highway recently where a 530D tried quite desperately to overtake me but couldn't even though he had space but couldn't beat the TSI till I stopped at KFC.
The mileage is pretty normal, even other TSIs in Mumbai used in traffic get similar figures. Of course it is now around 7.2-7.3 since the usage pattern has gone back to normal. It had changed in the past 4 months and was being used in heavy traffic.

Sir believe me, if the 530d really wanted to overtake he would have flown past. Our 1.8s are no match for the 6 cylinder diesels.

Quote:
Also doesn't steam cleaning the leather seats cause it any harm?
Steam cleaning is actually better than using stuff like leather wipes, or polish which gives it that shiny look, and makes the feeling different. The steam brings back the suppleness, and makes the seats a few shades lighter. Nothing like a good detailing session on a dark coloured car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Have heard similar things from my friends too. How is the oil consumption on your car? Also do check if the AC upgrade is available for your car.
Old 5th August 2013, 09:36   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
if the 530d really wanted to overtake he would have flown past. Our 1.8s are no match for the 6 cylinder diesels.
He did eventually, but it was fun to keep him chugging in my rear view mirror for most parts and believe me he was trying most desperately. That too from a car costing almost one thirds.

I prefer just Colin to wipe off any stains on the beige leather with a soft moist cloth. Will try the steam thing as and when have some setup up and running nearby or in Delhi.

Last edited by dkaile : 5th August 2013 at 09:42.
Old 5th August 2013, 10:03   #458
BHPian

@ dkaile, no disrespect but I believe the 530d is leagues ahead of the 1.8tsi and probably it was the driver lacking the competence. 560NM of torque vs 250NM needs no explanation.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:01   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
no disrespect but I believe the 530d is leagues ahead of the 1.8tsi and probably it was the driver lacking the competence. 560NM of torque vs 250NM needs no explanation.
No doubt mate, no doubt at all. 5 series Beemer is my next vehicle upgrade too. But that particular 530D driver certainly went home with a bruised ego, beaten if not by the vehicle then certainly by the competence of his driving.

Last edited by dkaile : 5th August 2013 at 11:03.
Old 12th August 2013, 12:33   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Moving in dense traffic at crawling speeds with lots of idling while waiting at signals does take its toll on the FE with the 1.8 TSI engine, esp if you have the AC on. In Bangalore, whenever I am driving with AC off, I switch off the engine at signals. But when I have the AC on, I don't bother to switch off as it makes it uncomfortable for the occupants. That's when I find the mileage drops significantly. If the car is on the move for the most part, the mileage rarely drops below 10 kmpl , even when you drive hard. Though I must admit 6 kmpl is extremely rare in my car, even after the stage 1 remap. Cruise at 80 ~ 90 kph in 6th and she'll give 20 kms to the litre. Phenomenal for a 1.8 Lt petrol engine putting out 160 hp and pulling a 1.5 Ton car.
Well talking of FE... I have done about 10,000KM mostly in Delhi and my experience as follows:

Normal Delhi traffic (without major jam or prolonged bumper to bumper) about 6~8 KM / L

20~30KM rum on light traffic on ring road when car is moving most time - yes about 10KM / L

Highway - I just did once on Delhi - Agra new highway - absolute no traffic - cruising at about 100~110 - got about 13 =- but I guess at about 90 one could get more - not sure though of 20KM as claimed by some

My normal office run is about 11KM in normal Delhi traffic (no exceptional jams) with usual signals but one long signal with idling of about 1~2 min and about 2KM of free road - this gives about 6.5~7.2

All above with A/C on.

I am wondering if the above mileage is normal???
Old 12th August 2013, 13:46   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev Rai View Post
Well talking of FE... I have done about 10,000KM mostly in Delhi and my experience as follows:

Normal Delhi traffic (without major jam or prolonged bumper to bumper) about 6~8 KM / L

20~30KM rum on light traffic on ring road when car is moving most time - yes about 10KM / L

Highway - I just did once on Delhi - Agra new highway - absolute no traffic - cruising at about 100~110 - got about 13 =- but I guess at about 90 one could get more - not sure though of 20KM as claimed by some

My normal office run is about 11KM in normal Delhi traffic (no exceptional jams) with usual signals but one long signal with idling of about 1~2 min and about 2KM of free road - this gives about 6.5~7.2

All above with A/C on.

I am wondering if the above mileage is normal???
Maybe I should have been more clear in my post that mine is a Laura 1.8 TSI manual transmission.

I assume yours is a Superb AT.

With short runs its difficult to extract good FE as the car consumes more fuel while its still warming up. You do manage to get 10 kmpl during your 20 km runs and that's pretty good for a car in this class.

13 kmpl is pretty good too for an AT car this big on the highway. I get 12.5 to 13 generally but then that's at much higher speeds. If I cruise at a steady 100~ 110 I get about 15 kmpl.

20 kmpl is what I got when I cruised at a rock steady 80 kmh on the expressway with no stops and just enough throttle input every few seconds to keep the speedo between 78 and 82 kmph. Just a stat that I wanted to see for myself and to answer the question "How efficient can this engine be? ". Maybe I should've added a disclaimer 'under standard test conditions'

You car is normal nothing to worry. If it makes you feel any better my 2012 i10AT struggles to give anything over 8 kmpl in city traffic.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 13:09   #462

Thanks

This was very reassuring. Yes mine is 1.8TSI AT
Old 13th August 2013, 22:01   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev Rai View Post
Yes mine is 1.8TSI AT
AT will always give 1~2kmpl less than MT as per my experience in Indian driving conditions notwithstanding whatever the test conditions FE figures the manufacturers may claim.
Old 25th August 2013, 20:49   #464
Senior - BHPian

13,000km Update - 25-08-2013.

So the Superb touched the 13k mark on the odometer

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-dsc_0127.jpg

This called for a quick drive to Moradabad for a Tennis tournament, with the customary stop en-route at McDonald's. There's also a KFC now open in the viscinity.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-dsc_0130.jpg

Overall mileage was 11kmpl on the 233km drive with quite a lot of brisk driving involved. Not bad for a 2 tonner.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-dsc_0131.jpg

The car is driving like a dream with zero issues. Touch wood...
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 10:58   #465

Dear Dkaile,

My skoda superb 2012 model dashboard, black portion is showing dry white marks..it is not exposed to much sunlight as it is parked in the basement. Does it require some kind of polish. ..could you please advise. Thanks in advance. Amarpal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks