Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:13   #481
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There's no error on the MFD. Also, car is hardly used 8000kms in close to 2 years.

Today will be removing the idol to check auto lights.
Moving the idol off the sunlight sensor will improve the climate controls functioning. But that won't help the auto lights at all. That seems to be a sensor problem. This may be ridiculous, but I haven't heard of auto lights not working too often, so do check the switch is in the right position
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:22   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There's no error on the MFD. Also, car is hardly used 8000kms in close to 2 years. Today will be removing the idol to check auto lights.
Let me know if want to get a VCDS scan to check for sensor errors. I have the cable/software. PM me for further details.
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 19:01   #483
Senior - BHPian

Nothing much to report. Car's nearing the 15k mark. And its going strong, troublefree and absolutely delight to drive. Had to do frequent runs to Delhi of about 400kms, one was a midnight run and another on election day to vote for a change, both saw very less traffic on the road and the car delivered a great fuel efficiency figure of 12+kmpl. Such a fantastic engine giving such a economy is like saying "Sone pe Suhaga" in Punjabi...

Here it is recently at Walmart, Meerut
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03122013_1.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03122013_2.jpg

When I see lesser cars like the Octavia and the Jetta crossing the 20L barrier with the current inflated exchange rates, I feel lucky at having got this fully loaded piece of work for just 18L on road barely a year back. And it feels like it will last me a decade or more with my low mileage driving style.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th December 2013 at 19:05.
dkaile is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 20:35   #484
BHPian

Quote:
When I see lesser cars like the Octavia and the Jetta crossing the 20L barrier with the current inflated exchange rates, I feel lucky at having got this fully loaded piece of work for just 18L on road barely a year back
The superb is no doubt a "superb" car, but then using a word like 'lesser' to describe cars like the Octavia or Jetta doesn't seem correct.
Old 5th December 2013, 21:10   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
but then using a word like 'lesser' to describe cars like the Octavia or Jetta doesn't seem correct.
No offence meant to anyone, but the Superb is a category above the Octavia and the Jetta and hence the 'lesser' car comment and the Superb does have a better overall package compared to these two vehicles. It's just like saying that the Amaze is a lesser car compared to the City or the Civic is a lesser car compared to the Accord. This is just in my personal view and you are free to disagree.

Last edited by dkaile : 5th December 2013 at 21:12.
Old 6th December 2013, 00:51   #486
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The superb is no doubt a "superb" car, but then using a word like 'lesser' to describe cars like the Octavia or Jetta doesn't seem correct.
Depends on what one is looking for. The Superb could be a lesser car to some than the Octavia/Jetta if it is only driving pleasure one wants.
Old 6th December 2013, 06:56   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Depends on what one is looking for. The Superb could be a lesser car to some than the Octavia/Jetta if it is only driving pleasure one wants.
Again, that's subjective and would vary from person to person. It's like someone saying that a 3 series Beemer has better driving pleasure than the 5'ver. And some like me who like to compare the overall package would disagree.
Old 6th December 2013, 08:13   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
No offence meant to anyone, but the Superb is a category above the Octavia and the Jetta and hence the 'lesser' car comment and the Superb does have a better overall package compared to these two vehicles. It's just like saying that the Amaze is a lesser car compared to the City or the Civic is a lesser car compared to the Accord. This is just in my personal view and you are free to disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Quote:
Again, that's subjective and would vary from person to person. It's like someone saying that a 3 series Beemer has better driving pleasure than the 5'ver. And some like me who like to compare the overall package would disagree.
It is pretty clear that DKAILE meant, that Superb is a from a different segment, which happens to be above JETTA or OCTAVIA.

Superb's counterpart from the VW stable is PASSAT.

D2 is greater than D1. In otherwords D1< D2

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th December 2013 at 14:15. Reason: as requested
F150 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 11:08   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
It is pretty clear that DKAILE meant, that Superb is a from a different segment, which happens to be above JETTA or OCTAVIA.

Superb's counterparts from the VW stable is PASSAT.

Thanks for the clearing the doubt.

All I said was that the word lesser doesn't seem correct, But anyways I guess we have to agree to disagree @ Dkaile
trumpcard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 13:02   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

Superb's counterparts from the VW stable is PASSAT.

When you say D2 > D1, I suppose you are basing your conclusion on the price of the vehicle? Its not uncommon to find fully loaded versions of a lower segment to be more expensive than base versions of the higher segment. Every individual's needs are different which is why manufacturers provide variants in each model and different models in different segments.

I may find a 25 Lakh SUV not suitable for my needs compared to a 16 lakh good handling, fun to drive sedan. I'm much more comfortable in my small hatch than even my fast Euro sedan in the crowded streets of Bangalore. Just because one car is pricier than the other does not make it greater IMHO.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 18:32   #491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just meant it in a light hearted way. No offense meant. I see no reason for you to disagree with your statement that the 3 is a better drivers car than the 5. You mention only one aspect which is driving pleasure in that statement, which is true. When it comes to overall package the 5 may be better, but the first statement still holds true.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 6th December 2013 at 18:35.
Old 25th December 2013, 15:01   #492
Senior - BHPian

So I was leaving for Kasauli & Mashobra (Kufri) tomorrow after the white Christmas in the region. Decided to give the car a little TLC it had been lacking especially the alloys which had fair amount hard water marks on them. Had received a nice alloy cleaning Solution bottle (complimentary) from Jaspreet, Delhi (M: 09818465071). His car detailing thread is going on here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...ing-delhi.html .

The initial cleaning started with a toothbrush and wet microfibre cloth with a little help from the humble toothpick. There were lot of marks around the air filling valve and the around the emblem -
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-tyre-detailing-jaspreet-25122013_1.jpg

The 'after' shot with a little help from Tyre Shine (Waxpol) for the tyres. The results were fantastic on the alloys. Highly recommend this Jaspreet guy-
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-tyre-detailing-jaspreet-25122013_2.jpg

Also gave the car a little touch of Formula-1 polish
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-tyre-detailing-jaspreet-25122013_3.jpg

Ready to take on the arduous journey in the snow...

Last edited by dkaile : 25th December 2013 at 15:03.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 20:03   #493
Senior - BHPian

15000 km Report / Ride to Kasauli/Mashobra

So the Superb finally started on a longish trip after lugging it off mainly in the city. The Shimla Expressway was a revelation
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-shimla-trip-dec-2013_1.jpg

The 334km trip to Kasauli showed the Superb delivering a very healthy FE figures of nearly 12kmpl, even after slugging it out on the hills
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-shimla-trip-dec-2013_2.jpg

Here it is taking a well deserved rest at Kasauli along with its Honda companion
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-shimla-trip-dec-2013_3.jpg

The peace at Kasauli was pure bliss after the chaos of UP/Delhi
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-shimla-trip-dec-2013_4.jpg

It was all covered in dust and still looking handsome. With a Pajero giving it a envious look
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-shimla-trip-dec-2013_5.jpg

The vistas were breathtaking
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-shimla-trip-dec-2013_6.jpg

Finally headed towards Mashobra. With the last 9 kms in total wilderness, without paved roads and covered with snow. The Superb cruised through without as much as a sweat on its brow
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-shimla-trip-dec-2013_7.jpg

The return downhill ride finally saw it crossing the 15k km mark. Absolutely trouble free and pleasure to own. And saw it giving a phenomenal 15.2kmpl FE on the downhill 125km ride
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-shimla-trip-dec-2013_8.jpg

It encountered below freezing temperature and sailed through with aplomb. Although my Tissot shows a 3.1 degree reading at 10pm
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-shimla-trip-dec-2013_9.jpg

The return 389km journey to Meerut saw it giving an overall fuel efficiency figures of 14.1kmpl which is phenomenal for a car this size and of this category.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-shimla-trip-dec-2013_10.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 15:21   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a checking kind of a guy! I don't like it to drop to alarmingly low levels that a dash/MID warning is needed.
That's a very nice habit. The Skoda manual mentions the engine does consume oil, almost 0.5L per 5000kms. Because the service intervals are 15K kms apart, almost 1.5L oil could be consumed (theoretically), which means there could be a significant reduction in engine oil, which could be a potential cause of engine related issues.

Though Skoda recommends service every 15K kms, I strongly recommend a checkup every 5K kms.
Old 8th January 2014, 16:29   #495

Hi Dkaile

Is it ok to top up the superb petrol's engine oil with Shell? (currently the car has Castrol), with the same grade in both brands.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks