Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2023, 11:31   #631

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Wow!! That car looks great after the wash and wax..

I too own an identical Superb also into its 12 year. Still looks and runs smoothly... Of course, it has never missed a service all these years and Tafe Access, Bangalore has been working hard to keep it shipshape.

However, it shows its age here and there. I just recently replaced the roof upholstery as the original adhesives had dried out and the fabric had started to sag slightly in places. The upholsterer was very good as he was an ex-Tafe man and he knew the job. Good work... I am satisfied.

A couple of led lights in the speedometer back light has gone and I needed help to get it replaced. Obviosly, I do not intend to replace the whole assembly. Its not worth the expense. Would have loved some advice..
Spiritauto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 20:01   #632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritauto View Post

A couple of led lights in the speedometer back light has gone and I needed help to get it replaced. Obviosly, I do not intend to replace the whole assembly. Its not worth the expense. Would have loved some advice..
I too am finding 2 speedometer lights (leds) have gone, will be checking with my service person next week if those alone can be replaced.
Old 7th January 2024, 08:56   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritauto View Post

However, it shows its age here and there. I just recently replaced the roof upholstery as the original adhesives had dried out and the fabric had started to sag slightly in places. The upholsterer was very good as he was an ex-Tafe man and he knew the job. Good work... I am satisfied.

Could you please let us know who the upholstery person is and his number along with a few pictures of the work? This is not against forum rules as it is your personal experience with a vendor.
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:33   #634

Hi,

The upholstery guy is Mahesh. Cell no. +91 98801 59115

Regards
Old 30th January 2024, 12:24   #635
Senior - BHPian

40,000 kms up 29-01-2024

So went on a recent 500km trip to a hidden gem - Shaheen Bagh in Dehradun. Bought up the 40000km mark on the odo after nearly 12 years in service. Zero issues. A few shots of the car yesterday at the resort -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-shaheen-bagh-29012024_1.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-shaheen-bagh-29012024_2.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-shaheen-bagh-29012024_3.jpg

Pristine as ever. Best ageing car that I have experienced.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 19:34   #636
Senior - BHPian

Passenger Side Wiper Change - 22-03-2024

The Driver Side Wiper was last changed on 04-08-2023 and was working perfectly fine but the Passenger Side Wiper was last changed 04-06-2015 and was nearly 9 years and still working but though a little long in the tooth... lolz. So it was time to get the Passenger side one replaced. Now it comes as a set from Skoda and they were asking around 5000 bucks for a set, whereas I had just changed my Baleno wipers to Hella ones for just 300 bucks and they were working perfectly!! So why the propensity to ask 5k for these??

Searched in local market, not immediately available in Meerut but a spare parts dealer assured to procure for around 900 bucks for the pair. Searched online and I hit one which was just for 489 bucks for a pair!! with a nearly 4 star rating - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 And with Amazon, I could always return/replace it if it was not worthwhile. So I bit the bullet and ordered and received these ones from Valeo from the seller, which I have heard good things about -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-passenger-side-wiper-changed-rs-489-22032024_1.jpg

They were the exact size as needed for Superb 2012 MK2 - 24" and 18"

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-passenger-side-wiper-changed-rs-489-22032024_2.jpg

The new Driver Side received with the old OE Passenger Side one replaced -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-passenger-side-wiper-changed-rs-489-22032024_3.jpg

Now there was a difference of the attaching latch, as is visible in the photo, and I was disappointed at first glance. But when I fitted it to the car, it fit like a glove and clicked and locked into place... Relieved!!

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-passenger-side-wiper-changed-rs-489-22032024_4.jpg

The quality is 'superb' and both my wipers are now giving a crystal clear wipe of the windshield without any streaks.

Cheers for now...

Last edited by dkaile : 30th March 2024 at 19:36.
dkaile is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 23:40   #637

How were you able to use these wipers for so long? I usually have to change every year for my xuv500.
Old 9th April 2024, 10:58   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prawns.curry View Post
How were you able to use these wipers for so long? I usually have to change every year for my xuv500.
Skoda OEM wipers are typically very high quality. Never needed to change my Octavia ones even after 6 years of ownership.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 20:08   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Skoda OEM wipers are typically very high quality. Never needed to change my Octavia ones even after 6 years of ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prawns.curry View Post
Since dkaile paid about a tenth of the price compared to Skoda OEM wipers, it will be interesting to see how long the new ones last.

I've had similar experiences with VW wipers. OEM did a better job and lasted much longer than other options I tried.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 13:48   #640
Senior - BHPian

Brake Oil / Coolant / Fuel Filter Service - 40479 kms - 10-04-2024

I was having NO issues, however it had been 12 years since either the Brake Oil or the Coolant had been changed. The service manual specifies that the Brake Fluid should be changed first at the 3rd year and subsequently every 2 years. The Coolant, they say, is LIFELONG, but I decided to get it changed anyways -

So off we went to try the local Meerut Skoda dealership - Brite Skoda, Meerut, for the 1st time for actual mechanical work -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_1.jpg

The odo was at 40,479 kms

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_2.jpg

The car was lifted up

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_3.jpg

The DOT 4 Brake Fluid and the Ready Mix Coolant (no need to dilute). Plus my new battery clamp had also arrived, which as I had mentioned in my previous battery change post, had completely corroded - old corroded battery clamp visible here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...9072023_11.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_4.jpg

Total 6 liters of Coolant and 1 L of Brake Oil is required for this job -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_5.jpg

The first thing that needs to be done was that the air box needs to be removed -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_6.jpg

Now the special thing in the 1.8 TSI Manual car is that the Clutch Slave Cylinder is also supplied the same brake fluid for it's operations, so that needs to be bled too. Here the arrow is pointing to it's drain plug in the picture below -

From Briskoda -
"According to the service manual you should drain 0.3 l from each of the the rear calipers and 0.2 l from the front ones, so that's 1 liter. If you have a manual gearbox like mine, the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder should be drained together with the brakes as the clutch shares the fluid with the brake system - service manual states that 0.15 l should be drained from the slave cylinder.
The order of bleeding is:
  • Clutch slave cylinder (not if you have a DSG gearbox obviously)
  • Right rear caliper
  • Left rear caliper
  • Right front caliper
  • Left front caliper
According to the service manual you should use new brake fluid that conform to USA standard FMVSS 571.116 DOT4 and VW standard 501.14.
(It seems that the VW 501.14 is a low viscosity version of the DOT 4 fluid that works better with ESP?"

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_7.jpg

Now the car is raised -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_8.jpg

And first it's time to replace the fuel filter that was lying with me since several years as official replacement time is more than 50k kms. Here's the old petrol filter -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_9.jpg

Which was now removed -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_10.jpg

And replaced with this new one, a 5 minute job -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_11.jpg

The brake pads were serviced and checked -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_12.jpg

The front brake pads had plenty of life left in them as is visible -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_13.jpg

But the rear brake pads were at end of life and needed to be changed within the next 1000 kms. But they were not available at the dealership, hence cleaned and back ordered -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_14.jpg

The car was lowered back down back to bleed the brakes -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_15.jpg

Now I was not very happy with the 2-man manual brake bleeding followed at this dealership. They should have had some automated equipment to ensure zero air bubbles in the system. Anyways, here's the rear brake plug for the brake oil after oil removal -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_16.jpg

What was surprising to note that the brake fluid removed was absolutely clear, as is evident in this sample I took, even after so many years -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_17.jpg

Again the clear brake oil is visible in this photo -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_18.jpg

Absolutely fresh and clear Brake Fluid was fully replenished as is now visible in the Brake Fluid Reservoir -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_19.jpg

The battery clamp was also replaced with the new one as is visible in the top circle and the slave clutch cylinder in the lower circle in red -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_20.jpg

Getting ready to drain the coolant with the engine bash plate also removed now -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_21.jpg

The Lower Radiator Hose, as is visible in this picture, needs to be unclipped, to drain the coolant. Sad to see that there is no coolant drain plug here -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_22.jpg

Here you can see the coolant draining. As is visible, it is also absolutely clear and pink in colour as the original. It really is lifelong as they claim -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_23.jpg

Coolant being collected in the drain tray placed below, no signs of any oil in it, as someone was earlier mentioning, and clear as visible -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_24.jpg

Fresh Coolant being replenished. It took in about 5 liters (after engine start and auto burping) as 100% drain is never possible without total engine flush. Kept the rest in reserve -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_25.jpg

Total Damages were Rs. 6210/- (3712 for parts and 2500 for labour). Not bad.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_26.jpg

While I was there, also did the PDI for the new Kodiaq, that was coming into our extended family -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-kodiaq-10042024_1.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-kodiaq-10042024_4.jpg

All done and ready to depart -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_27.jpg

The brake felt a little spongy at first. I talked to the service advisor and he remarked that they will get perfect within the next 2-3 short rides. And they did get better in this single 10 km ride back home. Will keep a lookout if the sponginess fully disappears or not, as claimed by them, in the next 2-3 days, otherwise would re-bleed them properly. Final odo at home after testing etc. -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-coolant-fuel-filter-service-10042024_28.jpg

Cheers for now...

Last edited by dkaile : 11th April 2024 at 14:00.
dkaile is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 13:42   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
All done and ready to depart -

Attachment 2593361

Cheers for now...
She looks lovely @dkaile. The Skoda of yesteryears had such a timeless design. Look forward to more updates on her. On another note, are you planning for any rides? Would love to read more of your ride reports on the GS or the 350 Classic.
mugen_pinaki27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 15:11   #642
BHPian

Quote:

I was having NO issues, however it had been 12 years since either the Brake Oil or the Coolant had been changed. The service manual specifies that the Brake Fluid should be changed first at the 3rd year and subsequently every 2 years. The Coolant, they say, is LIFELONG, but I decided to get it changed anyways -

So off we went to try the local Meerut Skoda dealership - Brite Skoda, Meerut,
Cheers for now...
I was not aware that Meerut Brite Skoda also has a workshop within their Sales outlet even though I live in the same neighbourhood.
40000 km is very low mileage for a 12-year-old Superb, which looks pristine even today.
Congratulations on the acquisition of Kodiaq, I was recently very close to replacing my harrier with a Kodiaq, however later on decided to stick with Harrier for a couple of more years. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with Kodiaq.
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 00:46   #643
BHPian

Quote:

And first it's time to replace the fuel filter that was lying with me since several years as official replacement time is more than 50k kms. Here's the old petrol filter -

Now I was not very happy with the 2-man manual brake bleeding followed at this dealership. They should have had some automated equipment to ensure zero air bubbles in the system. Anyways, here's the rear brake plug for the brake oil after oil removal -

Here you can see the coolant draining. As is visible, it is also absolutely clear and pink in colour as the original. It really is lifelong as they claim -

The brake felt a little spongy at first. I talked to the service advisor and he remarked that they will get perfect within the next 2-3 short rides. And they did get better in this single 10 km ride back home. Will keep a lookout if the sponginess fully disappears or not, as claimed by them, in the next 2-3 days, otherwise would re-bleed them properly. Final odo at home after testing etc.
Cheers for now...
Thank you for the update and I must say you have really taken great care for a 12 year old.
Maybe it is such low running (40K / 12 years) that the coolant and brake oil is intact visibly. However, these HOAT coolant that VW group uses will not show visible sign of deterioration if only topped with the premix coolant that you have used. But still the additive package depletes eventually and hence it is needed to be changed more frequently than you have done.

Briskoda and Obdeleven/VCDS both states that the bleeding can be done easily with the BCM allowing it via VCDS. I have seen the feature on my OBDeleven too (Rapid). Surprising that they used the manual bleeding method.

Also brake should be feeling more crisp after bleeding instead of spongy. I did the bleed myself sometime back on my Rapid and they were more crispier.
ankitsharma is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 08:41   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Surprising that they used the manual bleeding method.

Also brake should be feeling more crisp after bleeding instead of spongy.
Exactly. So I too was not convinced by their argument and deducted it to lack of trained personnel and automated equipment at this satellite branch of Brite Skoda Noida at Meerut. Also gave them a mouthful on their feedback call from their main Noida dealership.

Now I had more or less made up my mind to bleed the brakes myself. Also came across this very helpful video by Ganesh Balan doing the same on his Polo including the clutch slave cylinder bleeding -

Now since the clutch was back to it's original crisp feel and feeling even a little lighter, I felt there was no need to touch that as, luckily, that had been bled properly as the clutch pedal hits the floor and has to be manually lifted during the bleed process, as mentioned in that video too. But I had to bleed the brakes again. Going by that video, I checked both front tyres, as they do not have to be removed to bleed the brakes, to see whether I was competent enough to bleed them myself... Lolz

So I rotated the front right wheel to access the bleeder plug. You can notice the 8mm transparent pipe which plays the most important part in manual bleeding -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-bleed-12042024_1.jpg

Here's a close up the bleeder plug with the rubber cap removed -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-bleed-12042024_2.jpg

Close up of the rubber bung cover for the bleeder plug -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-bleed-12042024_3.jpg

Now with the pipe attached -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-bleed-12042024_4.jpg

A close up of that -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-bleed-12042024_5.jpg

And the final bleed position with the 11mm close end spanner attached -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-bleed-12042024_6.jpg

A view of the front left wheel bleeder plug -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-bleed-12042024_7.jpg

A close up of the bleeder plug with the cap still on -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-bleed-12042024_8.jpg

Now they were contacting me to come to the service station so that they could rectify the job properly, this time around with a better trained technician. And I had to go to the dealership to do the final pdi of the Kodiaq that was being delivered on Monday, anyways, so I decided to take the car to the dealership and give them a lesson or two in the correct manual bleeding process... lolz

All 4 wheels were now properly bled, as per the video and the photographs you see above -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-bleed-12042024_9.jpg

See the additional gung brake oil I was able to remove now till the clear brake fluid came into view. So there was actual deterioration of the brake oil, unlike what I presumed, and it was only visible once you drain out the old oil into a transparent bottle -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-brake-bleed-12042024_10.jpg

Lessons learnt and key takeaway -

1. Transparent hose is most essential ingredient in case of manual bleeding (see the above video to understand fully). Everything else is secondary.

2. This is the feedback from Ganesh who replied to my comment on that video -Hi bro. Yes this is the standard procedure for brake bleeding in all cars. You also have the electronic means of doing it by using the ABS module and the VCDS application but it is complicated and lengthy. You can do this with the car turned off - no problems. If you don’t have to bleed the clutch, it is all the more simpler. Just remove the wheels and bleed each brake one after the other, starting from the farthest wheel from the brake fluid reservoir first which is the one behind the front passenger side. Please have one more person sit in the driver side to press the brake pedal as you command, after the bleeder valve is loosened. Very important - tighten the bleeder valve after the pedal is depressed. Good luck!

The brakes were immediately absolutely crisp and even sharper than before on my 10km journey back home.

I hope this is helpful for members planning to bleed their brakes.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 13th April 2024 at 08:47.
dkaile is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 09:25   #645
Team-BHP Support

Spark Plugs Change - Comprehensive Guide - 40505kms - 17-04-2024

Post has been moved to its own thread here

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-spark-plugs-changed-40505km-17042024_1.jpg
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks