Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 09:56   #511
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
What you say is true to an extent. They recommend just a spark plug replacement at 30K interval. Since it was a supposed 30K service at just 16K mileage, they cleaned the spark plugs very carefully with fine emery paper without disturbing the gap in my presence. And I followed it up with a rescan to show that no errors of any sort had cropped up due to the cleaning process. It will be another year or two going by my driving style before they will be replaced so they thought a fast cleanup will do more good than any harm. Taking your own call in such situations is better than following manufacturer recommendations blindly has always been my adage.
There is no scan that will show the plugs gap are not correct. Unless they short the leads the scan cannot pickup any error.

The emery paper cleaning is what you should avoid with these plugs. It would have been ok if it was just sprayed. The gaps need to be measured using a feeler gauge not visual inspection or scan. A scan can only tell you if the plug is shorted or the gap is too much. A 0.1mm change in gap results in less stronger spark.

It's your call but check some international forums for spark plug cleaning on TSI engine. I would opt for spark plug change in a direct injection engine.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 10:01   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I would opt for spark plug change in a direct injection engine.
Hmmm. What you say holds ground. I would be looking at the performance and mileage carefully for the next few days and if I feel something amiss with the cleaning process, I will keep that option of replacement open.
Old 19th March 2014, 19:11   #513
BANNED

Quote:
I would be looking at the performance and mileage carefully for the next few days and if I feel something amiss with the cleaning process, I will keep that option of replacement open.
The 1.8 TSI engine's spark plugs do not need cleaning. Having cleaned the plugs you don't need to replace them now. A difference in spark plug gap measurement has to be more than 0.2 mm to be evident in performance and fuel efficiency and this difference will not happen during cleaning. You will also not be able to spot differences in performance and fuel efficiency during your drives with minor differences in gap settings. In the pics your plugs have the right colour at the tips which indicate the plugs are working well. I don't think you will have to worry about replacements.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 09:09   #514
Senior - BHPian

So took the car for a short 20km local ride yesterday. The car was performing at peak level with improved smoothness and acceleration. The mileage was also testimony that everything is well at the spark plugs level. The cleaning seems to have done more good than any harm as I expected...

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-mileage-19032014.jpg
Old 29th March 2014, 14:36   #515
BHPian

Hey dkaile, I would like you to help me with an issue. I own a VW Vento TDI 2011 model and it has knocked around 23k km on the odo. I'm quite sick with the door squeaks.

I tried the silicone spray on the door rubber which seem to have done some justice but could not completely get over the noises. After a month, the noises were back like before. I read somewhere in this post about using silicone spray for door squeaks.

I ordered a spray from ebay which didnt last much and didnt work well as I mentioned. Now the only spray available on ebay is waxpol silky touch silicone spray. Should I give it a try? The doors keep squeaking with slight undulations on the road. help
Old 31st March 2014, 09:39   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh.m06 View Post
I'm quite sick with the door squeaks.
The spray used by the Skoda dealership is quite different from the normal silicon sprays available in the market. It was a heavy duty lubricant spray costing about 650/- for a can, and though it was silicon based, the spray that came out was quite sticky. It clung to any surface in a semi-permanent fashion and could only be removed by a very hard wipe. Since using that spray all the squeaks in my car have vanished especially from the parcel tray. They have also lubricated all the doors and locks of the boot etc. So look for a heavy duty lubricant spray to end your woes.
Old 31st March 2014, 10:07   #517
Senior - BHPian

Audi Q3 2013 2.0L TDI Quattro 6 speed DSG Premium+ variant Vs Skoda Superb 2012 1.8TS

Audi Q3 2013 2.0L TDI Quattro 6 speed DSG Premium+ variant Vs Skoda Superb 2012 1.8TSI MT Elegance variant

So yesterday I got my hands on the aforesaid Q3 purchased by a close relative and I tried to compare both over a 50km run. To be very frank I returned disappointed with the Q3 in terms of value, luxury and features offered vis-a-vis the Superb.

The exterior styling is the highlight of the Q3
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_1.jpg

But I could not fold the outer mirrors of the Q3 by the long press of the lock button on the remote like I could on the Superb. A simple premium feature available even on the Laura missing on the Q3 topmost variant or am I missing something?!!!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_2.jpg

The rear with the led tail lights
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_3.jpg

The cockpit. Though quite good as standalone but when compared to the Superb lacked the luxury and chrome rings.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_4.jpg

The 6.5" manual retractable screen. Not automated. No touchscreen like the Superb. No front parking sensors, no proximity display on screen. Disappointing.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_5.jpg

The 6 speed DSG is good. But there is a definite lag on picking up speed. That is where a manual scores for the enthusiast. Drive is comparable from the TDI to the TSI of the Superb.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_6.jpg

No chrome bordering on the Light switches. Looked downmarket from the Superb.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_7.jpg

The space on the front is at least 2 classes down from the Superb. The centre box is small with a MMI interface in built.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_8.jpg

Now the rear is where I had the giggest grouse. I thought I had shifted from the Superb to an i10! Yes, that's how premium the space is at the rear of the Q3. Don't even think about fitting 3 adults in the back seat. Very disappointing.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_9.jpg

Just a puny rear AC vent and a charging slot. No rear display for the time and temperature like the Superb. The surfaces felt hard and downmarket.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_10.jpg

Now the supposed talking point of the Premium+ variant was this panoramic sun roof. But it was covered by just a thin cloth which was filtering in all the light and the HEAT. And the summers are still a distance away. I don't know how this will cope up in the sweltering 45 degrees June weather in North India. Very unthoughtful from Audi not to make their cars country friendly. What may work in Germany won't do so in India. The AC also was not as effective as the Superb and I could feel the heat.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_11.jpg

The boot was ample but about 33% smaller than the Superb which can fit a small house inside.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_12.jpg

The 17" alloys with Pirellis scored
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_13.jpg

The engine was the similar 2.0 TDI doing business in most VAG cars. Note the cost cutting as the battery does NOT get a full plastic cladding like the Superb. And that too in a premium car costing almost twice. Not done Audi.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_14.jpg

Size comparison with the Superb. Do I need to say any more?
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-audi-q3_15.jpg

Cost when new (on road) after DISCOUNTS
18.4 Lacs (2012 Superb) Vs 33 Lacs (2013 Q3 top model after 5 lac discount)

Which is the WINNER?
I leave that to your rationality...

Last edited by dkaile : 31st March 2014 at 10:12.
dkaile is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 11:32   #518
BHPian

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Just a small mistake the Q3 comes with 7-speed S-tronic not the 6-speed found in other VW group cars.

And space was my biggest grouse when I had gone to check the Q3 as an upgrade to my Innova way back in April 2012 when it was launched. That time it costed 47 lakhs on road, I still have the price list.

Last edited by dean5545 : 31st March 2014 at 11:36.
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 14:22   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Q3 comes with 7-speed S-tronic

And space was my biggest grouse
Yes, you are absolutely right. Sorry for the oversight. The Q3 comes with the 7 speed. But my observation about the lag remains. And space is pretty constricted for sure.
Old 1st April 2014, 19:48   #520
BHPian

I saw a Q3 2.0 TDI on the road today; he was in the lane adjacent to mine. From the outside, it looked surprisingly small, smaller than my T-Jet, and I felt it would be cramped inside. Your photos and write-up confirmed that!
Old 1st April 2014, 20:09   #521
Senior - BHPian

And I forgot to mention that the Q3 does NOT come with seat memory either for the front powered seats compared to 2 for the Superb. Sacrilegious from Audi!!

Here's the Superb today, still looking brand new after 2 years...

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-31032014_1.jpg

Yes, it's got the bhp!!
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-31032014_2.jpg

Limo class...
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-31032014_3.jpg

Luxury interiors that age very well
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-31032014_4.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 1st April 2014 at 20:11.
Old 6th April 2014, 13:03   #522
Senior - BHPian

With the confusion about the Skoda Superb's Bi-Xenon's being discussed here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3395322 , I posted a few photos of the Superb's Bending Bi-Xenon's

Skoda Explains this as follows -
Quote:
ŠKODA Superb Bi-Xenon Headlamps with AFS

AFS (Adaptive Frontlight System) represents top technology, which based on the current driving conditions and the speed of the car enables automatic headlights adjustment. The system is capable of working in different regimes:

- Extra-urban - regime similar to a standard dimmed lights.
- Urban - wider and shorter spread of the light.
- Motorway - long light persistence.

The front lights also include the rain function, which you will welcome during low visibility operations and even during a snowstorm.

The AFS also includes rotation of the headlamps when driving through a curve plus fog headlamps with Corner function.

Bi-xenon headlamps with daytime running lights (DRL) perfectly match the overall dynamic concept of the vehicle's front section.
Now if you will look closely inside the Skoda headlamp, you should see this -
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-bending-bixenon_1.jpg

This shot is from my 2012 Superb and similar should be visible in the new facelifted 2014 model
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-bending-bixenon_2.jpg

These are Bending Bi-Xenons. Their effect may not be immediately visible at idle but their effect changes with speed, light conditions, rain etc. The same single headlamp fitted with a solenoid acts as a high beam at higher speeds and the halogen bulb supplements the high beam effect. This is how iut is in the Superb and similar should be there in the New Octavia. AFAIK this is absent in the current Jetta and the Laura i.e. in layman terms, the bending effect.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 6th April 2014 at 13:10.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 16:09   #523
BHPian

Hi dkaile, I might be new to TBHP as a member, but I've been following your thread since 2 years and I would like to congratulate you and thank you for such an informative thread.

Your thread was one of the main reasons for me to get a Superb 1.8TSi A/T.
But unfortunately I have had an quite a long uneventful history regarding errors and spare parts, mostly due to Channel Motors, Haldwani who are nothing but cheats.
Anyways now I have switched to C&T Motors, Meerut for servicing and other stuff.

Lately I've been having small niggles in my Superb, please do have a look at them and if possible give me a solution:
1. A very loud and annoying squeak coming from RHS dashboard. After a bit of researching, this was the place where it came from: The overhanging hard rubber squeaks against the plastic instrument cluster when the car passes over a rough patch of road.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-150445.jpg

The guys at C&T lubricated it and it was fine temporarily, but till I reached my home (220kms from Meerut) it reappeared.
Is there any permanent or a long lasting fix for it?
I was thinking of inserting 3M double sided foam tape between them, is there any alternative you can suggest?

2. I haven't yet figured out the right tyre pressure for it. I keep it around 35psi but sometimes it feels bumpy. I travel alone or at max 1-2 passengers with nil or light luggage.

3. I got my RHS side headlamp assembly replaced under insurance following an accident, but now I have realized that LHS ones look old and a bit hazy as compared to the new one. My car is 2.5 years old. I found some headlight restoration liquids and kits (e.g. Formula 1, etc.) online, buy are they any good in my situation?

Waiting for your reply.
Thank You.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd April 2014 at 22:14. Reason: Please upload images directly on Team-bhp. Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 20:02   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.kushagra View Post
- Your thread was one of the main reasons for me to get a Superb 1.8TSi A/T.
- Channel Motors, Haldwani who are nothing but cheats.

Lately I've been having small niggles in my Superb :
1. A very loud and annoying squeak coming from RHS dashboard.
2. I haven't yet figured out the right tyre pressure for it. I keep it around 35psi but sometimes it feels bumpy. I travel alone or at max 1-2 passengers with nil or light luggage.
3. I got my RHS side headlamp assembly replaced under insurance following an accident, but now I have realized that LHS ones look old and a bit hazy as compared to the new one. My car is 2.5 years old. I found some headlight restoration liquids and kits (e.g. Formula 1, etc.) online, buy are they any good in my situation?
Thanks dr.kushagra for the kind words. Yes, Channel Motors or for that matter most Skoda dealers need a bit of arm twisting to get work done to your specifications. I always stand on their heads while getting any work done and that has worked so far as my car is niggle free.

Now with concern for your specific niggles -
1. You can try purchasing a can of WD 40 (about 250 bucks) and try spraying that periodically over the affected area or your desi 'jugaad' of fixing 3M tape or alternatively the normal BLACK electricity insulation tape (without any marking) as packing in the affected area. I have never faced the said issue in my car fyi. That thick Lubricating Spray by C&T Motors worked for my squeak issue with the rear parcel tray recently.
2. I keep 33psi for the front and 35 for the rear and that works perfectly for me. I have a in-house 'LIMI' tyre inflator for this job.
3. Usually the headlights are properly sealed and such issue not happen in a 2.5 year car. You can try Formula 1's 'Scratch Out' on your headlight glass which is supposedly good for the headlights too. All these products have been mentioned in my previous posts and also on my Fortuner's ownership thread.

Hope that helps and if you have any further queries let me know. And best of luck with the 7 DSG.
Old 7th April 2014, 20:43   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Hope that helps and if you have any further queries let me know. And best of luck with the 7 DSG.
Thanks dkaile for the reply.
I'll get it sorted out.

And for the 7-DSG, C&T Motors confirmed that post 2011 there haven't been any mechatronics failure and also told me that they check DSG for problems and if it's at risk they replace synthetic oil with mineral oil in the gearbox, which was aim of VW Global DSG recall last year.
It was nice to hear that someone knows all this stuff.

He also told me that pre-2011 cars having DSG failure have had their mechatronics unit replaced for free by Skoda India irrespective of warranty status. That was somewhat relieving. I guess Skoda is finally on its way on becoming a more mature company.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks