Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 18:19   #436
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Silicon based Spray for squeaks - I was finding the rear parcel tray creating a minor but irritant squeak. Found the solution in this 'Treadmill Lubricating Spray' which is available easily with any sports shop. It is silicon based spray and absolutely safe to use on plastics and rubber parts and immediately removed the squeak from the joints connecting the rear parcel shelf. MRP written on it Rs. 350/- but I got it for free from a friend dealing in treadmills.
@Dkaile can you please elaborate a bit more on how to use it,I am also facing quite a lot of rattles in my Laura off late including the rear parcel tray.is this effective for the long run?
Old 20th June 2013, 18:33   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use the twin door boot opening 90% of the time for easy stowage of luggage.
Meaning, you always open the entire door (including glass)?

I understand about the remote opening
Old 20th June 2013, 18:41   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
@Dkaile can you please elaborate a bit more on how to use it,I am also facing quite a lot of rattles in my Laura off late including the rear parcel tray.is this effective for the long run?
Silicon sprays have been used for years for lubricating and shining plastic/rubber/leather parts and for removal of squeaks from rubber biddings, hinges etc.

Here's a video link of how these Silicon Sprays work in Automobile Lubrication. This one's from Valvoline and is self explanatory -

The 'treadmill spray' is actually a similar silicon spray and is easily available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Meaning, you always open the entire door (including glass)?
Yes, while loading luggage I do. I find that quite convenient and roomy compared to the normal boot opening. Skoda's other model like the Laura e.g., feature 'only' the hatch type boot opening whereby the entire rear including the windshield opens up which is also a usp for that model.

Last edited by dkaile : 20th June 2013 at 18:43.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 23:15   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Silicon based Spray for squeaks - I was finding the rear parcel tray creating a minor but irritant squeak. Found the solution in this 'Treadmill Lubricating Spray'
Attachment 1099940
Hi dkaile.
I am also irritated by a faint squeak emerging from the rear parcel tray area.
I might just buy something similar to take care of it.
Where did you apply it? On the hinges or the area where it rests?
Old 21st June 2013, 09:03   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Where did you apply it? On the hinges or the area where it rests?
On both, the hinges on the parcel tray and the groove where it rests.
Old 30th July 2013, 16:02   #441

Dear Dheeraj,

One help, in the pictures I can see your display showing 13.5 km/l. In my superb which is 2012 model too, the display shows 10l/100 Km.

Is there any option to set the display in a manner that it shows fuel efficiency like it is showing in your car.

Thanks for the wonderful thread and your help.

With best regards

Amarpal

Quote:
Mileage Test Run + Trip to Jim Corbett/Nainital
(Personal/Non Auto Photos kept to minimum to avoid them being removed from this Ownership thread)

Now a Mileage Test Run cum Trip to Jim Corbett/Nainital was conducted from the 1st to the 4th April 2012 to ascertain Ownership Experience.

The trip starts with the family at 6am sharp
Attachment 912016

A very healthy 13.5kmpl mileage is got immediately within a few kms
Attachment 912017

It's stretched to 13.6 soon
Attachment 912018

A few stoppages and road blocks/railway crossings en-route make it drop again
Attachment 912019

First Stop at Mc-Donald's Gajrauala
Attachment 912020

The Superb looking handsome as ever
Attachment 912021

The humongous boot can swallow a lot
Attachment 912022

Soon the mileage picks up again
Attachment 912023

Someone once mentioned to me sceptically that the Superb can never do 14kmpl!!
Attachment 912024

Finally reached our Room on the banks of Kosi River at Corbett
Attachment 912025

More following...
Amar@Chadha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 16:23   #442
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar@Chadha View Post
Dear Dheeraj,

One help, in the pictures I can see your display showing 13.5 km/l. In my superb which is 2012 model too, the display shows 10l/100 Km.

Is there any option to set the display in a manner that it shows fuel efficiency like it is showing in your car.

Thanks for the wonderful thread and your help.

With best regards

Amarpal
Is your car the ambition or elegance model? The ambition doesn't have that feature built in to change the units. If it is the elegance, when the car is stopped you must go to vehicle settings in the maxidot display in the instrument cluster, through the steering controls, and then choose units. From here you can select kmpl.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 16:39   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You surely can. With car at standstill, press the back button on the multi-function steering wheel and you will enter the Main Menu of the Multi-Function Display (MFD). Scroll down to 'Settings' and press the scroll button to select it. Then scroll down to 'Units' and select it. There you will find 2 options for Temperature and Consumption/Distance. Select the latter and there select 'km/l km'. Now you will be able to see the mileage in km/l, provided yours is the Elegance variant of the Superb.
Old 30th July 2013, 16:41   #444

Yes, it is elegance model and i was able to do the change... thank you so much.

One more question, i am maitaining an air pressure of 33/35 in my 1.8TSI, is it fine. It is mostly city drive in Bangalore.

Quote:
You surely can. With car at standstill, press the back button on the multi-function steering wheel and you will enter the Main Menu of the Multi-Function Display (MFD). Scroll down to 'Settings' and press the scroll button to select it. Then scroll down to 'Units' and select it. There you will find 2 options for Temperature and Consumption/Distance. Select the latter and there select 'km/l km'. Now you will be able to see the mileage in km/l, provided yours is the Elegance variant of the Superb.
Old 30th July 2013, 17:08   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more question, i am maitaining an air pressure of 33/35 in my 1.8TSI, is it fine. It is mostly city drive in Bangalore.
33/35 is the specified tyre pressure and should be just fine. Though the ride becomes a little more compliant with 32 all around.
Old 3rd August 2013, 20:17   #446
Senior - BHPian

So how well does a Skoda or any other good German car age? Does it start showing signs of wear soon?

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_1.jpg

To answer these questions here's a pictorial of my Superb at 12706kms and One and a quarter year into ownership. Wanted to try out the new Nikon D5200 DSLR too. You be the judge -

Couldn't resist these 3 special effect ones

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_2.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_3.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_4.jpg

The Engine (mind it, it is unwashed)

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_5.jpg

The 'Superb' embossing on the headlights

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_6.jpg

The 'magnifique' front grill

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_12.jpg

The interiors (haven't aged a day)

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_13.jpg

The mileage of 10.4kmpl after a 300+ km drive. When people say that they are getting 6~7 on their VRS's it really makes me wonder about their style of driving or perhaps they are at crawling speeds all the time!

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_14.jpg

The superlative ICE and the 'chiller' of an Auto AC. Very surprised when people complain about the AC. They have definitely upgraded/corrected it.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_15.jpg

The gear lever hasn't weared a day

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_16.jpg

The Multi-Control Steering is a joy every day

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_17.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-03082013_7.jpg

Cheers and drive safe...
dkaile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 20:49   #447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The mileage of 10.4kmpl after a 300+ km drive. When people say that they are getting 6~7 on their VRS's it really makes me wonder about their style of driving or perhaps they are at crawling speeds all the time!
That's me you are referring to I presume. Well that figure is in bumper to bumper traffic when the car struggles to go above 50kmph. Now comparing your 300km drive to that is a bit unfair no? Even I have got 16.5kmpl driving on open roads at 100-120. This engine does not like Mumbai traffic, and that can be seen by the fuel consumption and the oil consumption Surely you would agree Mumbais traffic is worse than Meeruts?

Talking about driving style, this car when driving pedal to the metal still manages better figures than when it is stuck in traffic. Maybe we should get another diesel car for the traffic runs, and I should keep the vRS for my use.

Anyway your car looks pristine. Rosso Brunello being a dark colour, do you notice any swirl marks on it? It may be wise to get it detailed once a year, and the beige leather steamed too. It may seem normal now but once it is steam cleaned it will turn a shade lighter.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 22:03   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That's me you are referring to I presume.

you would agree Mumbais traffic is worse than Meeruts?

Maybe we should get another diesel car for the traffic runs, and I should keep the vRS for my use.

Anyway your car looks pristine. Rosso Brunello being a dark colour, do you notice any swirl marks on it? It may be wise to get it detailed once a year, and the beige leather steamed too. It may seem normal now but once it is steam cleaned it will turn a shade lighter.
Wasn't referring to anyone in particular. Mumbai definitely has worse traffic than most other cities. Still if you are getting 6 then it's definitely a cause of worry and needs to be diagnosed.

You can always fall back on the Beemer for diesel needs, though the driving pleasure of the TSI is unparalleled.

Don't see any twirl marks but there are lots of scratches put by my over enthusiastic Lab. Sadly we don't have any good detailers like 3M in the NCR and I rely on just my Formula 1 which is serving the purpose just fine.

My mileage achieved was with 60% city driving. Had a interesting incident on the Moradabad highway recently where a 530D tried quite desperately to overtake me but couldn't even though he had space but couldn't beat the TSI till I stopped at KFC.

Last edited by dkaile : 3rd August 2013 at 22:11.
Old 3rd August 2013, 22:26   #449
BHPian

Quote:
. Still if you are getting 6 then it's definitely a cause of worry and needs to be diagnosed.
If you are someone driving the Superb during the Peak/Rush hours or someone who travels from New Bombay/Thane to Townside then 6 is possible sitting in heavy traffic, sadly you spend time driving 5-10 KM/H stopping and going!
Diamond_dawg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 22:28   #450
Senior - BHPian

Actually, we have few nice detailers in NCR, one of them being steam n shine in gurgaon and other one being retro wraps, from where a friend got his punto detailed recently.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks