Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2012, 17:58   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

^^Will under-inflated tyres pose a safety hazard, especially on the highways.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post2955752
Old 9th December 2012, 18:05   #347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post2955752
30 is hardly under inflated, but yes if travelling on highways 32 or so would be better. Infact drove Bombay-Goa 600km each way in a Superb last month, and we started off with 34. 4 adults in the car, and it was too stiff with 34 psi on anything besides good roads. Reduced it to 32 on the way back and unbelievable what a difference just 2 psi made. And the car had stock goodyears.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 19:23   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
30psi is def NOT under-inflated. It is the optimum pressure, to be on a safer side you should keep 1 or 2 psi above. On the highway the car is running at higher speeds hence the heat generated always increases the pressure in the tyres. So you don't really need to increase your air pressure when on the highway as it goes up on its own.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:21   #349
Senior - BHPian

Just returned from a 230kms road trip to Moradabad. Achieved 12.2kmpl overall.

Few RPM notes in 6th gear -
@100kmph - 2100rpm
@120kmph - 2600rpm
@140kmph - 3000rpm

Engine redlines at 6500rpm.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-7876km-12kmpl-18122012.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 18th December 2012 at 12:24.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:36   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Good FE.
So what speeds you were doing most of the time?

BTW, do you mean you redlined in 6'th?

Cheers!
Old 18th December 2012, 14:36   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Good FE.
So what speeds you were doing most of the time?

BTW, do you mean you redlined in 6'th?

Cheers!
I was mostly doing 120+. These non fenced highways do not give you confidence to go any faster as at any moment any stray animal or even tractor/trolleys jut out onto the roads. If I drove slower at around 100, the FE jumped to 13+.

Redlining discussions can't really take place on Tbhp.
Old 18th December 2012, 14:50   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I agree.
If I drive at > 140, I get around 12.5 kmpl.
Once I drove like a family man (90 to 120kmph) and I got 15kmpl.
Of course, mine is a Laura TSi so it may be slightly more efficient - being lighter...
Old 19th December 2012, 18:58   #353
Senior - BHPian

I was getting some foul smell on AC startup so I decided to clean the AC Dust and Pollen Filter. Helped by an excellent guide by anandpadhye here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2991100 , I mustered courage to open up the part. In the end it turned out to be a 5 minute tool-less job -

So this is where I needed to venture. right below the front passenger footwell. Where no head has gone straight... lolz
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-ac-filter-removal-1.jpg

This is what I saw below. A foam covering held in place by 2 plastic screws.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-ac-filter-removal-2.jpg

On removing the foam carefully, I saw the filter cover inside (covered in detail in anand's post). Inside the filter removal was a simple slide to the left and pull affair. Here is the area with the filter removed -
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-ac-filter-removal-3.jpg

Here is the foam cover and the two screws removed
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-ac-filter-removal-4.jpg

And the AC filter and the plastic cover. Both had the make - Valeo. Filter Made in Germany and cover made in Czech.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-ac-filter-removal-5.jpg

Cleaned it. There were some dead leaves and debris in them which may have been causing the foul smell. All in all a good experience.

Last edited by dkaile : 19th December 2012 at 19:09.
dkaile is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 13:14   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Just returned from a 230kms road trip to Moradabad. Achieved 12.2kmpl overall.

Few RPM notes in 6th gear -
@100kmph - 2100rpm
@120kmph - 2600rpm
@140kmph - 3000rpm

Engine redlines at 6500rpm.

Attachment 1028530
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Yes, I agree.
If I drive at > 140, I get around 12.5 kmpl.
Once I drove like a family man (90 to 120kmph) and I got 15kmpl.
Of course, mine is a Laura TSi so it may be slightly more efficient - being lighter...
1st Pic :- This is what i get on my Aurangabad - Pune runs. Ac off and windows rolled up. With Ac on it drops to around 16.

2nd Pic :- And once i managed one better on the expressway from Pune to Navi Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-24102012206.jpg  

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-20121130-07.39.20.jpg  

sambhav.jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 16:02   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambhav.jain View Post
1st Pic :- This is what i get on my Aurangabad - Pune runs. Ac off and windows rolled up. With Ac on it drops to around 16.

2nd Pic :- And once i managed one better on the expressway from Pune to Navi Mumbai.
Very impressive figures you've managed there. The best I've managed in my Laura with the same engine is about 17 kmpl (assuming yours is a Superb petrol) . And thats with full effort to maximise FE, just to see how she sips fuel. 6th gear - 80 kph - lots of coasting etc....

I would sincerely request you to avoid taking pics of the MID while in motion, as is apparent from the speedo from your pics. It would be safer to pull up to the side to take the picture. Driving on low beam would also be a good idea.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 20th December 2012 at 16:04.
Old 20th December 2012, 22:38   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Very impressive figures you've managed there. The best I've managed in my Laura with the same engine is about 17 kmpl (assuming yours is a Superb petrol) . And thats with full effort to maximise FE, just to see how she sips fuel. 6th gear - 80 kph - lots of coasting etc....

I would sincerely request you to avoid taking pics of the MID while in motion, as is apparent from the speedo from your pics. It would be safer to pull up to the side to take the picture. Driving on low beam would also be a good idea.
Thanks!! Yes mine is a Superb Petrol. I wasn't taking the pics, it was my co passenger. Otherwise Well i mostly try to avoid the high beam but with the superb spread of light, i get tempted It looks beautiful!! And only when there are light barriers on the divider.
Old 26th December 2012, 10:20   #357
Senior - BHPian

I checked the engine oil level yesterday and it had fallen slightly from the MAX mark -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-oil-level.jpg

So I decided to get a 1 litre refill oil pack from the market and keep it in the car for emergency refilling. This is what I got - Castrol Edge Titanium 5W40 Fully Synthetic. This is supposedly better than the Castrol Edge Professional 5W40 and this oil confirms to the VW 502 00/505 00 standards that is required for this engine -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-oil-castrol-edge-professional-5w40-1.jpg

The MRP printed was 975/- per litre and I got it at 950/-. The shop keeper offered me the 4 litre pack of the same for just 2800/- (MRP 3800/-), that's nearly 1 litre oil FREE with 3 litre. That is a substantial saving from the one offered at the authorised dealership and also of a better quality than the one used by them. Now the big question is will they allow me to procure the oil on my own and use it in my car when it's time for the 1st service some month's down the line.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-oil-castrol-edge-professional-5w40-2.jpg

The oil specifications. Note that the product is approved for VW 502 00/505 00 ratings -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-oil-castrol-edge-professional-5w40-3.jpg

The colour of the oil was transparent golden -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-oil-castrol-edge-professional-5w40-4.jpg

All of 250ml was used for top-up and the rest went into the boot for further use as and when desired.

Last edited by dkaile : 26th December 2012 at 10:23.
Old 26th December 2012, 10:38   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

So I decided to get a 1 litre refill oil pack from the market and keep it in the car for emergency refilling. This is what I got - Castrol Edge Titanium 5W40 Fully Synthetic. This is supposedly better than the Castrol Edge Professional 5W40 and this oil confirms to the VW 502 00/505 00 standards that is required for this engine -

All of 250ml was used for top-up and the rest went into the boot for further use as and when desired.
What was the oil spec that was already in the engine?

I'm not sure if it's alright to mix 2 different grades of engine oil. There may not be any major issue but I think it would be best to keep the same spec oil always and not mix them in.
Old 26th December 2012, 10:52   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What was the oil spec that was already in the engine?
That's anybody's guess! Initially Skoda used to recommended Shel Helix Ultra 5W 40. Sometime last year they switched to Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W 40.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's alright to mix 2 different grades of engine oil. There may not be any major issue but I think it would be best to keep the same spec oil always and not mix them in.
Shell Helix Ultra is freely available in the market. When I bought my Laura TSI, the Showroom guys had specifically told me to buy a 1 litre can of Helix Ultra and keep in my boot to top up when the low oil warning would show. Which according to them was very likely around the 5k kms mark. During first service I realised that Skoda had switched to Castro Professional. Now the problem is that this Castrol 'professional' brand is an OE only brand and is supplied in barrels to the A.S.S. It is not available outside. As a customer I have no choice but to keep a can some some other brand of 5W 40 synthetic oil in the car for 'oil emergencies'.

Mixing two different brands of oil , but of the same grade and spec can't be that bad right?
Old 26th December 2012, 11:02   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's alright to mix 2 different grades of engine oil.
It is quite SAFE to mix various oils together as long as they confirm to the Engine Oil standards defined for your engine. e.g. if the original engine oil filled in the factory in the car was of VW 502 00 standards, which is the OE recommended grade for this 1.8 TFSI engine and which I presume was filled in the car, then you can top-up/refill with this grade of oil of any make as long as it confirms to this VW 502 00 standards. Here is the what the Manual says about this -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-oil-information-manual-2.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-oil-information-manual-1.jpg

And here is the Engine Oil Specifications from Skoda India's website for the New Superb when I bought it, confirming that VW 502 00 is the recommended oil grade for this engine -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-engine-oil.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 26th December 2012 at 11:10.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks