Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:52   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

Actually and honestly, these cars develop a problem if they are not used. The more you use them (that's what they are meant for after all) the better they run.

Suspension and ride quality would be the first thing id look when buying an S class.
Next would be to check if all switches work (there are innumerable number of switches in the S) basically electricals
Then id check the leather and tell tale signs of wear and tear.
The engine and gearbox is almost bulletproof.
Look for signs of accident and any body panels which look ill fitted.
An S should normally come with full service history, if not then there's something fishy.
That's about it is guess.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 6th July 2017 at 23:50.
V-16 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 21:11   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
w221 now vs w222 later: both are good options, I just don't trust future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Suspension and ride quality would be the first thing id look when buying an S class. come with full service history, if not then theres something fishy.
Thats about it is guess.
Thank you sir!- Pretty much decided on a new W222 sometime in the mid -Twenties. (2022-24ish)

For now- Have decided on a used E. When it will come; well; that is the question. As such I don't require a car actually. And since my father will mostly be based abroad- Does not make much sense to actually buy a 2011 W212 E350 CDI and keep it parked- The car gathering dust;and functioning as a static showpiece () while we are away.

So- going by that logic- No W212 E for now. So- if we do end up buying later (which we will) - It has to be the S.

However; if a promising deal does pop up- I'll grab it. However; that is not the case often.

Oh lord; won't you buy me a Mercedes?

A W221 S500
?

I know he will.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 22nd May 2015 at 21:13.
Old 18th July 2015, 21:34   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So far things have been ok but it has been just little more than 2.5yrs so not a long time..
Quote:
Another good thing I noticed is the parts availability and warranty approvals have been prompt, something that I wasn't expecting.
Androdev, could you share a solid update of your experiences wit the S Merc over the last approximately 3 years and what the A.S.S. has been like. Thanks, Narayan
Old 20th July 2015, 20:27   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Androdev, could you share a solid update of your experiences wit the S Merc over the last approximately 3 years and what the A.S.S. has been like. Thanks, Narayan
I have pretty much posted everything that has ever happened during the car ownership. My 3rd year service contract ended this April. The service experience has been good but to be honest there has not been any "real test" as most things have been routine and minor in nature. I definitely have to be prepared for big bills in future, otherwise these dealerships are not sustainable - simple logic

If you are contemplating a "bucket-list" purchase, just go ahead and scratch the item off the list. That's pretty much what I did - I might sell it off after warranty to avoid any potential distraction from my work.
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 21:21   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are contemplating a "bucket-list" purchase, just go ahead and scratch the item off the list. That's pretty much what I did - I might sell it off after warranty to avoid any potential distraction from my work.

I might sell it off after warranty......

*grins*

All that aside, are there any minor electronic niggles you have faced?

I'm looking out for a 2012-13 W212. Was on a longish trip in a friends car (W212, E350) the other day.

Excerpts from the conversation:

Me: This car must really be bulletproof in terms of reliability, lol

Friend: Nah! 'Tis actually bombproof!

Mercs are actually pretty niggle free these days, just like the older days. Remember that time- When a Mercedes used to be the strongest car around?

When the Merc could keep going on....and on.....and on.....irrespective of whatever abuse you hurled at it.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 20th July 2015 at 21:23.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 00:09   #141
BHPian

Hey Androdev, how's the car running nowadays?

Just read the whole thread again, it's not everyday that you get to read an ownership review of a S-class. A very well written thread
I have always liked the S-class over and above the A8 and 7-Series. And the launch of W222 has further upped the ante!

However, only one thing that bugs me is the tachometer. The needed in there goes from top to bottom, we are used to seeing needles going from bottom to top. Okay, I think I might have OCD
parth.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 18:10   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed 4 years and 35K km. It saw less usage last year as I was too caught up with work. Hopefully there will be more travel this year.

Expenses on 4th anniversary:
new tyres: Rs 50,000 approx. Pirelli Cinturato P7 looked like a good substitution for OEM Michelin Primacy HP as I was not getting these in the market. The guy fitting the tires was surprised the spare wheel was never touched. The car has been really trouble free (touchwood!).

Yearly service: Rs 75,000 approx. Just the usual consumables like fluids and filters.

Had to replace a key that I lost (I suspect it was stolen): Rs 25,000 approx

Insurance: Rs 1,25,000 approx. Still sticking to their mega-premium insurance. I like being insured from head to toe and some more

Parts and labour service bills (cost of replacement key included)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-screen-shot-20160415-5.45.24-pm.png

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-screen-shot-20160415-5.45.57-pm.png
androdev is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 13:43   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

The car has completed 5 yrs, 40K km and just came back from its annual service. The usage has come down as I don't have work commute now.

I feel this car is a keeper. It is incredible how the interiors don't show age at all. I don't mean like "German cars age well", this one is at a different level compared to my BMW 5, Skoda cars, etc. experience.

I run Android TV in the car connected to AUX AV ports, makes it a media powerhouse with netflix, youtube, etc.

This is a car introduced in 2007 so obviously looks dated compared to the current S class which is really beautiful. But it is incredible that the new S class has exactly the same layout with button-for-button match. They really got it right in W221 and I am glad Mercedes didn't screw it up in the name of new design.

Expenses on 5th anniversary:

Insurance (zero depreciation by Mercedes/Bajaj): Rs 96K
Service: Rs 100K (new battery, new front brake pads, regular service stuff)

Name:  labour.png
Views: 14571
Size:  82.1 KB
Name:  parts.png
Views: 14357
Size:  67.4 KB
androdev is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 19:36   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Had unfortunate an incident while returning on Mumbai-Bangalore highway. I was driving on the right most lane and a dog popped out of the median. I hardly had anytime to react, braked hard but could not save the poor thing. The car took it well surprisingly:

Name:  01.png
Views: 13870
Size:  400.3 KB

Here is an interesting exercise for the fellow members:
Spot the damages and guess how much was the estimate from A.S.S

To be continued...
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 19:44   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Here is an interesting exercise for the fellow members:
Spot the damages and guess how much was the estimate from A.S.S

To be continued...
The damage is near the right hand side fog lamp area and since it is a Merc, 1.5 lakhs INR for the repair.
ecenandu is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 19:49   #146
BHPian

Even I have lost the Key for my E. The driver said he has lost it but I have a feeling that he has sold it as he left the job immediately after the loss. I always have the fear that someone else has access to the car can we change get the code or something so that if the lost key is with someone then they can't use the key to gain access to the car.
msudhir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 20:25   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msudhir View Post
Even I have lost the Key for my E. The driver said he has lost it but I have a feeling that he has sold it as he left the job immediately after the loss. I always have the fear that someone else has access to the car can we change get the code or something so that if the lost key is with someone then they can't use the key to gain access to the car.
Yes the dealer can disable the lost key. I asked them to disable mine. The mechanical key will still work though but I didn't want to change the locks.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 22:33   #148
BHPian

An inch of the chrome strip near the daytime running light missing .. don't tell me that you have been asked to replace the strip and the sensors ..?
msudhir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 08:49   #149
BHPian

Apart from the chrome strip, the DRL housing is broken.
Old 7th July 2017, 10:46   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

This incident captures the entire essence of owning a car like Mercedes in India.

1. It is a great highway car. Kids and wife hardly knew what happened except for the hard braking. Mercedes brakes might be as effective as others but the driver feel is less assuring than say BMW. BMW feels as if a fighter plane is landing on an aircraft carrier. While the passengers don't panic in Mercedes, the driver certainly wants more feel (possibly effectiveness) from the car.

2. The car build is excellent. It was a pretty serious collision. There is no paint damage. Damages include: DRL works but it's chrome extension is broken. Minor hairline crack (about 1 inch) in the bumper. Small piece of bottom chrome liner broke. You can see the Left Vs Right here:
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-1.png

3. Repair costs are ridiculous even if you consider this is a fancy car. I was expecting 50K for the DRL + chrome strip + labour. One parking sensor on the right came loose and I wanted them to fix it in place. Due to GST, their systems were down so I got just verbal estimate as follows:
Bumper: ~90K (just the part excl paint etc.)
DRL: ~40K (For comparison I had to change rear tail lamp 2 years back it was 35K, surprised DRL is this expensive, could be weak rupee)
Chrome strip: ~20K
Parking sensor: ~10K (I told him the sensor is fine, just fix it in place but he was "no saar... it is old part, xyz is loose, etc.)
Plastic trim: ~10K (There was a crack on a plastic piece that sits as a buffer between radiator and bumper)
With labour, I am looking at ~2.5L

So basically great car, great build, etc. but extremely thoughtless and needlessly expensive service support.

To be continued...

Last edited by androdev : 7th July 2017 at 10:50.
androdev is online now   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks