Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2014, 20:38   #571
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Just want to get people's opinion on using diesel additives, or premium diesel like XtraMile from IOC. I know the manual recommends using the regular diesel, but is mum on any of the other aspects. Appreciate thoughts and actual experiences would be invaluable.
I personally would stay away from it unless i have extra money and dont know where to spend/burn it. When i bought my Ford Fiesta way back in 2006, i started filling extramile from IOC regularly. However i never felt any advantages of it in terms of pickup, low emissions, smother engine etc. It was same as when i used to fill up normal diesel. So i stopped using it and i was happy driving fiesta for 1.3 lakhs kms on regular diesel.
Just my 2 cents.
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:02   #572
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

31st May 2014: Third and last free service. 20000 Kms

Been to Ratnagiri recently and avoided to get the 20K service done before the trip. So finally got it done with 20986 on the odo.

Besides the standard service-stuff (engine oil, gear oil, oil filter, fuel filter) the following is what I asked them to do and the result:

1. A issue that was pending for a few months. The brake-pads worn out message used to pop out when trying to reverse with steering locked to one side. A visual inspection did not reveal any snapped sensor wire.
Solution: Not the wire from the brake-pad sensor to the connector, but the wire from the connector to beyond had snapped. Its a really lousy thin wire. I believe Debuda has faced the exact same problem and have a very detailed post with photos about it. Anyways. They taped it up and problem is resolved for now.

2. The left-front side puddle lamp had a broken clip and used to foul with closing the door. Had taped it with cello tape temporarily.
Solution: The SA told me that its a fairly common problem and would reoccur even if they replace. He said fevi-quick is a better solution. I told him to do that. Problem resolved for now.

3. The right side wing-mirror was closing with a lot of noise.
Solution: Lubricated. Problem solved for now.

4. I do this every time just to get them to check the suspension. Reported front suspension noise on rough roads.
The SA told me that I already have the new design stabilizer-bar bushes and there is no noticeable noise. He also added that its better to get the bushes changed every 10K kms. I asked him to do that.
Solution: Front-stabilizer bar bushes replaced. Paid for them.

5. Door rattles. Again my ears are not so good to catch them, but its a known reoccuring problem. So asked them to check it.
Solution: They spray some solution on the door-beadings and that seems to solve the rattles. Did that this time as well. Paid for the spray.

6. The number-plate was rattling.
Solution: Liberal amount of 3M tape. Problem solved. Paid for the tape.

7. Had heard about a new IS version. Asked them to install it.
Solution: Initially they denied and told me that I already have the latest version. After insisting, they installed it. Now Mahindra 'rises' differently . Have not noticed any other differences.

8. The 20K service includes replacing the AC filter/Cabin-filter. I had already replaced them from the mesh-version to the paper-version in April. So opted out of replacing them again.
Solution: They just cleaned it.

9. The 20K service also recommends wheel alignment and balancing. I have had bad experience about this at the service-center. So opted out of it.
Solution: Would get it done from a competent tyre-shop.

10. No idea what the problem was.
Solution: They replaced the front left mud-flap. I asked and got some crap explanation. It was a long day. Didn't bother to argue. Paid some 225 Rs for it.

Total bill: 5917 Rs.
This is for consumables and parts. The labour to the tune of 4000 Rs (20K service labour 2860 Rs and door-adjustment labour 1100 Rs) was free this time. Would have to pay for the same from the next service. Looks like the major-service cost would be ~10K going forward.

Edit: A few mobile pics:

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img_20140531_162741582.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img_20140531_111451580.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img_20140531_112004991.jpg

Clicked this picture as I liked the sort-of raised stance of the XUV. (I know its on a fork lift).
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img_20140531_162321549.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-img_20140531_170226153.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 3rd June 2014 at 09:19.
SDP is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 13:48   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

SDP, in the price list it is mentioned that glow plugs cost Rs.47316. Were you able to notice price list of Scorpio or Bolero to have a comparison on the same.
Old 3rd June 2014, 14:08   #574
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
SDP, in the price list it is mentioned that glow plugs cost Rs.47316. Were you able to notice price list of Scorpio or Bolero to have a comparison on the same.
XUV and Rexton have dedicated service facilities at most dealers. So unfortunately there was no price list for any other Mahindra cars displayed at the place.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 15:13   #575
Senior - BHPian

So do you plan to change bushes after every 10K kms? I too feel my XUV too needs new ones as i do feel loud thump every time i go over small potholes. And how much was it for?
Old 4th June 2014, 09:58   #576
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
So do you plan to change bushes after every 10K kms? I too feel my XUV too needs new ones as i do feel loud thump every time i go over small potholes. And how much was it for?
Don't recall exactly, but they are about 200 Rs for a pair.
Old 9th June 2014, 13:30   #577
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
31st May 2014: Third and last free service. 20000 Kms

7. Had heard about a new IS version. Asked them to install it.
Solution: Initially they denied and told me that I already have the latest version. After insisting, they installed it. Now Mahindra 'rises' differently . Have not noticed any other differences.

I should have checked the system before taking delivery. Looks like they uninstalled the entire navigation system during the upgrade.:banghead:
Attached Thumbnails
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-1402300759878.jpg  

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-1402300781135.jpg  

Last edited by SDP : 9th June 2014 at 13:31.
Old 9th June 2014, 20:27   #578
BHPian

Quote:
I should have checked the system before taking delivery. Looks like they uninstalled the entire navigation system during the upgrade.
Welcome to the wonderful experience of M&M A.S.S.
Last month i gave my XUV W8 for some body shop work along with some general AC checkup. The work done was unsatisfactory to put it mildly. A dent on the front driver side door required the black tape to be peeled off which was necessary but upon receiving my car back after dent repair, i noticed the bare-bones door without any tape. The nonchalant reply i received was that Sir go to any numberplate shop and tell them to apply the tape because M&M doesnt supply us the part. I am highly suspect of the above quote because such a part should be readily available! Also my concerns about excessive noise during wing mirrors opening/closing have not been dealt with at all, with the excuse that with time noise only increases. But wait- Here's the icing on the cake- It's been a month since i have had my car back after the body shop work and to my utter disbelief a week ago as i opened up the bonnet to check fluid levels, the engine cover was nowhere to be found! I immediately called up the RM at Dada Motors Ludhiana only to receive know that they will look into the matter and have no knowlege about the whereabouts of the cover, with the stupid reason that they are being informed almost a month after the car left their premises and it is my fault. Now who checks the engine after giving the car for a body repair work! Anyways after repeated followups till this day, their only reply is that the search for the cover in their premises is still on.

Last edited by abhinavinc : 9th June 2014 at 20:29.
abhinavinc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 07:53   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
But wait- Here's the icing on the cake- It's been a month since i have had my car back after the body shop work and to my utter disbelief a week ago as i opened up the bonnet to check fluid levels, the engine cover was nowhere to be found! I immediately called up the RM at Dada Motors Ludhiana only to receive know that they will look into the matter and have no knowlege about the whereabouts of the cover, with the stupid reason that they are being informed almost a month after the car left their premises and it is my fault. Now who checks the engine after giving the car for a body repair work! Anyways after repeated followups till this day, their only reply is that the search for the cover in their premises is still on.
The black plastic engine cover in the XUV is not just for decorative purposes. It has two scoops which direct ram air (air coming in from the front grille of the car when the car is in motion) vertically downward into the intercooler. I wrote about it here.

In the absence of the engine cover, the cooling of the intercooler will suffer and so will the performance of the car.
debuda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 11:51   #580
BHPian

Quote:
I should have checked the system before taking delivery. Looks like they uninstalled the entire navigation system during the upgrade.:banghead:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
the engine cover was nowhere to be found! I immediately called up the RM at Dada Motors Ludhiana only to receive know that they will look into the matter .... month after the car left their premises and it is my fault. Now who checks the engine after giving the car for a body repair work!
Believe it is high time there was a post-service checklist to ensure everything is working and present in the car. There would be a good number of times one may not use the car for a few days right after getting it serviced. Or even go for a long journey the very next day. Early morning you start your car and realise there is no navigation system working or midway somewhere you lift the bonnet to realise parts in the engine bay are missing is really going to leave a bad experience, totally ruining your trip.

One thing I have noticed with not just M&M, but all ASC's I had interacted with, is their hurry to get you sign on the bill with the statement that we had inspected the car and everything is in order as per our satisfaction. And most times the signing is done even before one sees the car. I am not sure how legally strong this is, becos incase of an issue I go back to the ASC and they work on it again. No one brings up the point that you were satisfied earlier. But still for issues like engine cover missing can they not use it as our statement to be on the safe end.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 21:42   #581
SDP
Team-BHP Support

A few pics from the end-May Ratnagiri drive:

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0065.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0069.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0064.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0302.jpg

The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-dsc_0304.jpg

Clicked with my trusted Nikon D90. A circular polarizer was used to cut reflection.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 10:33   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

SDP, the vehicle looks as if it rolled off the production line just now. Yours and Mudhalaipatti's ownership threads were one of the main reasons why I selected Tuscan red while booking my XUV.
While checking with sales person I was informed that initially Tuscan Red was non-metallic and now all XUV colors are metallic. Did Duma come with metallic coating?
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 11:23   #583
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
SDP, the vehicle looks as if it rolled off the production line just now. Yours and Mudhalaipatti's ownership threads were one of the main reasons why I selected Tuscan red while booking my XUV. ...
Thanks, but it is just the camera I guess. I am not into detailing like Mudhalaipatti and the paint-shine is nowhere close to a new vehicle. When it is clean, it does look pretty decent from a distance though. For a 2 year old vehicle, I think its aging pretty well.

Quote:
While checking with sales person I was informed that initially Tuscan Red was non-metallic and now all XUV colors are metallic. Did Duma come with metallic coating?
Yes, it is metallic on my car as well. Has those nice sparkling dots.
Old 11th June 2014, 11:24   #584
BHPian

Quote:
SDP, the vehicle looks as if it rolled off the production line just now. Yours and Mudhalaipatti's ownership threads were one of the main reasons why I selected Tuscan red while booking my XUV.
For Opulent purple also, I felt the purple of the new cars were more metallic comparing to mine which is 1.5 yrs old. I thought it was because of the age and maybe a round of professional polishing would bring that level of metallic look. But after reading what the sales person said, it leaves me in doubt.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 11:44   #585
SDP
Team-BHP Support

^^ The dark shades (including my XUV's red) are very difficult to maintain. Wash the car and in next 15 minutes, it starts showing a layer of dust. Even minor scratches are easily visible. I got carried away this time and picked up a red (afterall getting the XUV itself was a pure-heart decision ). But after 2 years of ownership, I have made up my mind: Only silver or white from next time. I intend to keep my vehicles for at least 10 years. So the "next time" is a long time away.

Last edited by SDP : 11th June 2014 at 11:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks