Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2013, 20:58   #466
BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement.
Hey SDP, not only encouragement from your mates on the forum, but also from Team BHP !!

I just noticed that you are now a DISTINGUISHED BHPian
Very well deserved and heartfelt congratulations.
Keep up the good work man
Heavy Horse is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 12:45   #467
BHPian

Re: M&M A.S.S. Negligence

Was just going through your thread again.

Last week, while I got my car from the service centre back, and was checking the car before leaving the place, I see someone's property papers in the boot. Even though they were all photocopies, but property papers in the service centre. Returned them at the reception though.

What all do we have at the service centres now-a-days!

Oh yeah! Congrats on entering the elite list of Distinguished BHPians. So we have a sponsor for our next meet then!

Last edited by carzone : 6th July 2013 at 12:48.
carzone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 07:52   #468
BHPian

re: The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - Now at 70,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
I just noticed that you are now a DISTINGUISHED BHPian
Very well deserved and heartfelt congratulations.
Keep up the good work man
Heartiest congratulations on moving up the food chain in TBHP. Truly well deserved.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 21:08   #469
BHPian

Congrats SDP for the addition of 'exclusivity' in the tag. Your posts have been great help many a times. In fact the 'Duma' log was a one of those superb readings for all those sitting on the fence line and waiting for someone to reassure them about the jump not to mention the other informative posts. Appreciate the efforts taken.
yogibear007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 11:27   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
Congrats SDP for the addition of 'exclusivity' in the tag. Your posts have been great help many a times. In fact the 'Duma' log was a one of those superb readings for all those sitting on the fence line and waiting for someone to reassure them about the jump not to mention the other informative posts. Appreciate the efforts taken.
With all due respects to you I find it hard to believe that SDP's thread convinced you to buy an XUV.

While it is an honest account of his experiences and experimentation with the vehicle, in large part it shows up the Mahindra dealer and M&M in an extremely poor light. Not only SDP but most others on the XUV forums have been complaining and highly acerbic in their comments of both the dealers and M&M.

Debuda's thread is probably the only one where by and large there is appreciation of the vehicle and happiness with the buying decision and ownership. As he says his vehicle has been largely niggle free, the only major issue faced with the silver box last month.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 19:57   #471
BHPian

Quote:
With all due respects to you I find it hard to believe that SDP's thread convinced you to buy an XUV.

While it is an honest account of his experiences and experimentation with the vehicle, in large part it shows up the Mahindra dealer and M&M in an extremely poor light. Not only SDP but most others on the XUV forums have been complaining and highly acerbic in their comments of both the dealers and M&M.

Debuda's thread is probably the only one where by and large there is appreciation of the vehicle and happiness with the buying decision and ownership. As he says his vehicle has been largely niggle free, the only major issue faced with the silver box last month.
You got it HH . With almost a million KMs of signals, junctions, potholes & speadbreakers, I don't really need anybody's advise in the form " Hey bro, 've this, 'll be good fo' ya" types. Nor I'm of the type that the badge on the back serves it all (probably past that stage). I've been following up XUV's logs for almost a year now and came to know of the niggles as well as the progress that has been made all this while through the usage experiences that you guys have put up here. My experience so far is exactly on the lines of Debuda & I wish I can make those sort of trips myself (in another five years may be). I was waiting up for 2700 Santa Fe. But with no commitment of any sort coming out from Hyundai officially, and my Octavia cribbing daily for her annuity encashment, I was looking for something that serves my needs as well as something new to try on. Although I can't say these logs made my decision, but they helped in putting through the value prepositions that I was calculating. Honest account is what one needs anywhere to firm up the decision either way.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th July 2013 at 07:27. Reason: See note.
yogibear007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 22:22   #472
BHPian

Quote:

While part of what you say is correct, I do not agree with your observations entirely. I have not come across any ownership thread (including SDP's) or casual posts on TBHP which indicates that a XUV owner is completely disgusted with his car or bitterly regretting his buy decision.

The general impression that I get from fellow XUV owners in this forum is :
  1. Though many owners are bugged by some niggle or the other, on the whole they find the XUV living up to their expectations. Most owners report that they enjoy driving / using / owning their XUVs.
  2. The XUV, as a total package, is still considered value-for-money by most owners.
  3. Though a few M&M dealers / ASCs have not been satisfactory, majority of them have satisfied their XUV-owning customers. Many owners feel that M&M are going that extra mile to keep XUV owners happy, if not delighted. Free repairs and replacements are being carried out not just by the letter of the warranty, but also its spirit.
  4. Costs of service and spare parts are found reasonable by most owners.

A prospective SUV buyer will not only go through the XUV related threads but also those on other Indian SUVs. There are many horror stories on TBHP and other similar fora about the pain of owning some other SUVs available in India.
debuda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 06:35   #473
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
While part of what you say is correct, I do not agree with your observations entirely. I have not come across any ownership thread (including SDP's) or casual posts on TBHP which indicates that a XUV owner is completely disgusted with his car or bitterly regretting his buy decision.

The general impression that I get from fellow XUV owners in this forum is :
  1. Though many owners are bugged by some niggle or the other, on the whole they find the XUV living up to their expectations. Most owners report that they enjoy driving / using / owning their XUVs.
  2. The XUV, as a total package, is still considered value-for-money by most owners.
  3. Though a few M&M dealers / ASCs have not been satisfactory, majority of them have satisfied their XUV-owning customers. Many owners feel that M&M are going that extra mile to keep XUV owners happy, if not delighted. Free repairs and replacements are being carried out not just by the letter of the warranty, but also its spirit.
  4. Costs of service and spare parts are found reasonable by most owners.

A prospective SUV buyer will not only go through the XUV related threads but also those on other Indian SUVs. There are many horror stories on TBHP and other similar fora about the pain of owning some other SUVs available in India.
Really very well summarized Debuda. I was planning to put up a longish post for the one year ownership, but eventually the summary is exactly what you have said!

The XUV is like a baby. It needs regular care and attention. It will have cold and fever fairly regularly. BUT, you would love it nevertheless! Even after a year, not a single day passes without me looking forward to driving the car. Yes, I do dislike to take it to the service-center. That's another similiarity. I don't like to take my kids to the doctors as well. Most of the times, the antibiotics given by the doctor create new issues.

Some things could have been better, but from an overall ownership perspective, the positives outweigh the negatives by a decent margin!

Last edited by SDP : 14th July 2013 at 06:37.
SDP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 07:51   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
It's a matter of relativity. I'm NOT saying that people are COMPLETELY DISGUSTED with their ownership but the general tone and tenor of the XUV ownership threads and posts is negative. And that's my perception. With that kind of overall negativity coming through, I return to my basic point : will it motivate a prospective buyer to go in for the XUV? My frank opinion is NO and many such people have said so on the forums.

To some extent I can understand the negativity which is spurred by your own experience. For instance both SDP and I had the sensor issue. SDP has narrated in detail his experience. My experience is the complete opposite. It hardly took Karnataka Agencies an hour to fix it. When I asked them what the problem was, the SA said that the wire had been cut / frayed and had been fixed. Now that was two months back and there has been no recurrence so far. I was charged nothing !! Now why this complete difference in the experience? Is it my age, lack of hair, personality, gravitas ? TAKE YOUR PICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Really very well summarized Debuda. I was planning ........
Planning is the operative word, sorry to say but never gets done !
That's a summary that we miss on most threads and posts. By and large people for whatever reason fail to put to put out a balanced perspective. Most of the time they whine and complain and I would say that 80% of all post are negative in content and intent, and very rarely do you get a post like NIP who writes in and highlights positive feedback, like he did on his Goa trip in May. I would urge forum members to highlight positive experiences as well, so that the unwary newcomer gets a balanced perspective.
Heavy Horse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 08:07   #475
BHPian

As a lay-man, I think the overall impression is on the similar lines as discribbed by Debuda & SDP. The logs do publish the niggles and general cribbing, but they also post a clear message that everyone is liking the drive with this vehical for whatever reasons which are probably verying with individuals.
In the very initial period when the niggles really started up showing, some buyers have been known to be eager to dispose off the vehical when they can in good price. In fact I got advise from my friend circle not to go for it based on experience on someone who has taken XUV from the initial allotment itself. But if you check the situation now, there are not really many examples of people wanting to do this kind of thing. They are coming to understand the way it is with XUV and with M&M and enjoying the drive. The negative tone and horror stories are everywhere if you look for them in that sense. If you would have been in my position owning an Octavia, the ASS alone would have got you to tears. believe me, it has done that to me but the vehical itself is stupendous and there is a whole class of people (including myself) who will swear by the Skoda name although they will keep cribbing about the ASS part. I've also been checking Fortuner parallelly. There are horror stories in that too but there also one tone is very clear, the ASS and reliability. Likewise, I believe XUV will have its own traits established. Its a matter of time. Already the features and the space is something which is going a long way to establish a expectation level.
yogibear007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 08:19   #476
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's a matter of relativity. I'm NOT saying that people are COMPLETELY DISGUSTED with their ownership but the general tone and tenor of the XUV ownership threads and posts is negative. And that's my perception. With that kind of overall negativity coming through, I return to my basic point : will it motivate a prospective buyer to go in for the XUV? My frank opinion is NO and many such people have said so on the forums.

To some extent I can understand the negativity which is spurred by your own experience. For instance both SDP and I had the sensor issue. SDP has narrated in detail his experience. My experience is the complete opposite. It hardly took Karnataka Agencies an hour to fix it. When I asked them what the problem was, the SA said that the wire had been cut / frayed and had been fixed. Now that was two months back and there has been no recurrence so far. I was charged nothing !! Now why this complete difference in the experience? Is it my age, lack of hair, personality, gravitas ? TAKE YOUR PICK

Planning is the operative word, sorry to say but never gets done !
That's a summary that we miss on most threads and posts. By and large people for whatever reason fail to put to put out a balanced perspective. Most of the time they whine and complain and I would say that 80% of all post are negative in content and intent, and very rarely do you get a post like NIP who writes in and highlights positive feedback, like he did on his Goa trip in May. I would urge forum members to highlight positive experiences as well, so that the unwary newcomer gets a balanced perspective.
Very valid points Heavy_Horse! Let me get down to penning down the 1 year detailed review. Ideally the detailed 1 year review was supposed to appear on this thread on 1st birthday of the vehicle, but the sensor-assemblies issue consumed the effort that I had kept aside for that. Would do that soon (before it becomes irrelevant). Gentleman's promise!

While on the topic, here's my dilemma: When I really get into minute details and the brain takes over, the picture is not pretty with the data points on number of visits to the service centers and the number of parts replaced. But, if I step back and take a big-picture view, the heart takes over and the XUV5OO does score high based on the looks, immense cruising capability and overall ownership pride!

So a detailed review (as well a detailed ownership log like mine) has a natural tendency to appear negative. And I guess its true about every vehicle and our mind's bias towards paying more attention to the negative.

Last edited by SDP : 14th July 2013 at 08:25.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 14:21   #477
BHPian

On similar lines, having owned my XUV for over 8 months now, the only real issue is with the balance bar bushes. I have changed it but the noise is definitely an irritant.

Let that not mistake anyone in believing that XUV is not a full package. Oh boy it definitely is. Its lovely to drive, steering and controls are also precise. The acceleration puts a nice smile each time!!
ash_blore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 10:50   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
On similar lines, having owned my XUV for over 8 months now, the only real issue is with the balance bar bushes. I have changed it but the noise is definitely an irritant.

Let that not mistake anyone in believing that XUV is not a full package. Oh boy it definitely is. Its lovely to drive, steering and controls are also precise. The acceleration puts a nice smile each time!!
Couldn't agree more ash_blore. It is really enjoyable. On the other note, what made you change the balance bar bushes ? Any specific problem or the usual issue mentioned here ?
Old 17th July 2013, 12:02   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
Couldn't agree more ash_blore. It is really enjoyable. On the other note, what made you change the balance bar bushes ? Any specific problem or the usual issue mentioned here ?
Just the usual problem that many have quoted here. There is a weird noise that comes when one wheel goes over a hump .
Old 17th July 2013, 16:54   #480
SDP
Team-BHP Support

YES! I got my XUV upgraded from M&M with the latest, absolute bleeding edge technology..that too free of cost!
Its the much-anticipated trip meter that can go beyond 999.9kms!
The "Duma" comes home - Our Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV 5OO W8 - EDIT - 10 years and  1.12 Lakh kms-trip-meter-20130717_131801.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks