Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2015, 08:48   #511
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
You seem to have done quite some DIY mods and seem to be enjoying your mods at its fullest!
Absolutely. And the sense of accomplishment is immense.

Quote:
I guess its high time you should share with the rest of us an article on DIY - especially any negative experiences you might have had.
Just curious, have you actually been through the articles I have posted? Every article has a specific section dedicated to the challenges and hiccups we had faced while attempting a modification or retrofit. For instance, during the Morimoto projector installation, the clips on top of the co-driver side headlamp broke and I had to use epoxy glue to fix them. One of the plastic clip was beyond repair due to the heat application so we had to cut a piece of plastic from the stock grill, drill a hole for the screw and then glue it back in place. The original shrouds sourced from TRS were overcut and I had to source a new pair, cut them to fit the projector perfectly. I have broken a few trim clips due to constant removal and replacement but the replacements were sourced and replaced.

If I am penning down a DIY thread, expect it to have all the details right from the parts, part numbers, tools, procedure and a note of thanks. I wouldn’t want others to go through the same issues that I had faced when they attempt the retrofit/modification.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 08:49   #512
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gannu,

I'm impressed... You've mentioned about buying things from abroad, especially China.

Because most of such sellers send their goods by declaring at an under-value such as USD50$, while the credit card transactions are at actuals.

It then so happens that one ends up paying a duty of 28% of the under-valued amount.

However, because the Government keeps track of all foreign transactions, it so happens that one gets a notice from the customs and income departments.

They may charge several charge cases against the person importing the goods including FEMA and FERA.

In my knowledge the importers when making a bank transfer and while clearing the goods based on the bank transaction, they have to pay 28-32% duty. They then have to keep the sale bill with a tax of 14.5%.

So don't you feel we're skipping all of these for a small saving, while in the long run (3-5 years) risking several violations. Please enlighten us if there are any caveats to this.

Finally, what are your options for after sales support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Absolutely. And the sense of accomplishment is immense.

Just curious, have you actually been through the articles I have posted?
Yes, I have been clearly reading through your posts.

However, the Do's and Dont's become scattered after sometime, when the thread becomes large, hence requested your to create a fresh and concise thread for DIY on VAG cars.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th July 2015 at 09:11. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 10th July 2015, 09:43   #513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You've mentioned about buying things from abroad, especially China.
Yes, some of them such as the knobs, armrest, lights, headlight switches and more recently the RCD 510 unit were all sourced from China whereas the more expensive components such as the tail lights, sharkfin aerial, HID projector parts, 9W7 BT module etc. were sourced from the UK, Europe and US.

Quote:
Because most of such sellers send their goods by declaring at an under-value such as USD50$, while the credit card transactions are at actuals.
Some undervalue the goods, most do not. I have had to pay customs duties for the OEM arm rest and the RCD 510 unit sourced from China and yet it turned out to be cheaper than what I had thought. But I didn’t have to pay a Rupee for the goods I had sourced from the US, Europe and UK (despite being shipped in bulkier boxes) and NONE of them undervalued their goods nor did I request them to. I have preserved all the invoices should I face issues later.

Quote:
Finally, what are your options for after sales support?
Some components are covered under warranty (e.g. the projector, ballasts, the D2S xenon bulbs, 9W7 unit etc) whereas the cheaper switches, knobs, lights aren’t. Those can be reordered if they fail or break. The only thing I am worried of right now, is the cluster - if it fails, I will revert back to the stock unit.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2015 at 12:04. Reason: Removing unnecessary bits, thanks
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 10:12   #514
BHPian

Quote:
However, the Do's and Dont's become scattered after sometime, when the thread becomes large, hence requested your to create a fresh and concise thread for DIY on VAG cars.
The level of detail that he puts up is amazing (atleast to me and to many others judging by the responses) and if there is any question he always takes the effort to explain it repeatedly. Considering this, don't you think asking him to create a fresh thread for dos and don'ts is expecting too much (to put it mildly).
Old 11th July 2015, 01:05   #515
BHPian

Quote:
The previous service center at Surat wasn't all that great. The 7.5k free inspection and the 15k first service was done there and I wasn't impressed. VW Navsari was the extreme opposite in that regard! The service advisor was very kind and co-operative and the car was attended to quickly. I was completely satisfied with these folks and dropped a mail to VW India

Hey gannu
I took my vento for 7.5K free inspection at VW navsari and the experience was as smooth as it could have got.
Mr. Umesh is very helpful and I found out that VW navsari is rated the best in India when it comes to customer satisfaction rating. Second I think was kolhapur.
More on the service details, I will share it in vento service thread.
Regards
Chirag.
chintu_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 18:44   #516
BHPian

Re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
Yet to place the order for the 9W7 BT module, mic and harness. Will do it this week.
From what I have researched and read on the RCD 510 head unit, the 9W7 BT module is only compatible with the Bosch model. The Delphi model will take the 9W2 BT module.
The 9W2 module lacks a few features but is much cheaper. Around 60-75 USD on Aliexpress.

So you don't need to be getting the 9W7 module at all.
Old 15th July 2015, 20:21   #517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityan27 View Post
From what I have researched and read on the RCD 510 head unit, the 9W7 BT module is only compatible with the Bosch model.
Incorrect. The Delphi HU works perfectly fine with the 9W7 module displaying the phone book, call register, dial number etc. on the MFD.

Quote:
So you don't need to be getting the 9W7 module at all.
I have ordered the unit from Poland for 200 Euros landed to my home. It has reached the Indian shores and should be delivered one of these days. Will update this thread when I have it hooked up and running.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th July 2015 at 20:23.
Old 18th July 2015, 18:45   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Incorrect. The Delphi HU works perfectly fine with the 9W7 module displaying the phone book, call register, dial number etc. on the MFD.
Thanks a lot sirji for the information and clarification. I plan on purchasing the Delphi in the next few days and will think of getting the 9W7 module. As I plan to upgrade to the MFD in the future.
Price is the only thing keeping we hanging.

Also wanted to know, to get the OPS working on the Delphi, do you need a separate OPS module?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th July 2015 at 12:04. Reason: Fixing quotes.
Old 18th July 2015, 23:03   #519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also wanted to know, to get the OPS working on the Delphi, do you need a separate OPS module?
No I didn't have to. From what I heard, VW has dropped the OPS module from the new cars. The earlier ones had it and the sound of the buzzer while reversing which could be changed to different tones, were done from the VCDS where this OPS module shows up. Not entirely sure if the current GTs dont have them. Will have to hook up the cable and check.
Old 20th July 2015, 00:27   #520
BHPian

Quote:
No I didn't have to. From what I heard, VW has dropped the OPS module from the new cars. The earlier ones had it and the sound of the buzzer while reversing which could be changed to different tones, were done from the VCDS where this OPS module shows up. Not entirely sure if the current GTs dont have them. Will have to hook up the cable and check.

This is an image from your RCD 510 DIY thread. Shows OPS. This doesn't require any special modules right? It'll come on as default when the car is in reverse?
adityan27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 13:28   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is an image from your RCD 510 DIY thread. Shows OPS. This doesn't require any special modules right? It'll come on as default when the car is in reverse?
The pre-facelift GTs did come with the OPS module in the car. Some say the newer cars don’t come with the OPS module although I can’t confirm it since I haven’t checked it in person. Plug the VCDS cable and verify it for yourself:

If the OPS module is available, it will show up as this:

This is the physical module:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-740226777.jpg

This module is connected to the BCM which in turn, sends the signals to the HU using the CANbus cables.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 15:57   #522
BHPian

Quote:
To take apart the stock mirrors, use the adjustment knob to rotate the mirrors inward as much as possible so there's a gap on the outside. Insert the fingers through this gap and simply pry them apart - the mirrors are held in place using the latch locks. They come off these latches. Insert the new mirror and lock them in place. That's all.
I got these today. Tried to pry them open by inserting my fingers but they won't come off. I guess more forces is needed but I am very much reluctant to use it as I might break the glass. Do you have to apply even force or just pushing it from one side will work?

Thanks.
Old 20th July 2015, 16:17   #523
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino View Post
Do you have to apply even force or just pushing it from one side will work?
More force but don't break it in the process. Go to the service center and politely request them if they can help you out with it:

Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 21:27   #524
BHPian

Dear Gannu

Been driving a Thar for the last 3 years. was of the opinion (miopic me) that regular hatches or sedans cannot have a character of their own, since they are sold en-mass. However, reading your thread has changed my opinion. Your GT looks stunning, and the mods u made are practical stuff!

Your thread, combined with a test drive of Supriyo's red GT TDI when it put it up for sale - i can say are the only 2 reasons why i am consdering buying a GT myself. if all goes well, i place the order this week.

Cheers
Vishnu
bigvishnu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 16:08   #525
BHPian

Quote:
The pre-facelift GTs did come with the OPS module in the car. Some say the newer cars don’t come with the OPS module although I can’t confirm it since I haven’t checked it in person. Plug the VCDS cable and verify it for yourself:

If the OPS module is available, it will show up as this:

This is the physical module:

Attachment 1393766

This module is connected to the BCM which in turn, sends the signals to the HU using the CANbus cables.
Hi Gannu,

i have checked it using the cable, and facelift GTs do not come with the parking sensor module. I am not sure what all stuff is missing, but it does not show up on the VCDS. I was trying to change the buzzer tone, but the module was not present.

Just curious, when you engage the reverse, does the music volume go down or not in your GT? I am asking, 'cos it goes down in my Laura, which definitely has OPS and parking sensor module present, but doesn't in my GT.

Now, assuming that the module you showed the picture of is the missing link, how does one connect it? I can see the same part number available with a seller on Ali.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st July 2015 at 16:15. Reason: Removing images from the quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks