Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2015, 15:57   #676
BHPian

Is it possible to retrofit the ring and holder with cigarette lighter.
Old 16th November 2015, 08:33   #677
BHPian

Yes sunil, I've odered mine through aliexpress, it's a pretty simple DIY.

Sunil hope this can help you -
Car VW Cigarette Lighter Volkswagen Passat Prices Auto Cigarette Lighter Assembly For VW Jetta Golf Polo Beetle Tiguan Skoda
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-V...244338183.html

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th November 2015 at 08:59. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Edit button to reply within 30 mins of previous post. Thanks.
Old 17th November 2015, 09:27   #678
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log. EDIT: Gujarat >> Chennai!

Gannu_1 I'm one of the many fans of yours for your DIYs and also for the way you document it. When it comes to DIYs, you are THE ONE.

I have couple of questions to you

I see that you have 17 DIY threads (I took the liberty of adding the cruise control thread which I guess would go live soon).
Just wanted to check approximately how much you have spent for all these mods.
Money will in no way more than the pleasure of having the most unique Polo in the country; but I was just curious

My next question...What next?
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 16:44   #679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Gannu_1 I'm one of the many fans of yours for your DIYs and also for the way you document it. When it comes to DIYs, you are THE ONE.
Thanks Hemanth!

Quote:
Just wanted to check approximately how much you have spent for all these mods.
The .xls sheet I am maintaining says Rs. 2,49,636. And the 3 service costs, windshield replacement, front fender repair, the waxing/wash sessions at 3M/Carzspa outlets etc. don't add to these! Looking back, I spent close to the same amount (or a shade lesser) with the computer hardware and the successive upgrades thereon few years back!

Quote:
Money will in no way more than the pleasure
Absolutely. And that's what matters IMO.

Quote:
My next question...What next?
Nothing major in the pipeline. I wanted to get the suspension replaced; perhaps next year.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st November 2015 at 07:58.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 17:37   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

The .xls sheet I am maintaining says Rs. 2,49,636. And the 3 service costs, windshield replacement, front fender repair, the waxing/wash sessions at 3M/Carzspa outlets etc. don't add to these!
So Gannu, considering all other misc expenses such as fuel, toll charges, etc, you have spent:

- INR 9,95,000/-
- INR 2,50,000/-

Total - ~ 13,00,000/-

Any which way I look at it, you really have spent that extra dough very well bro

Every single mod on your GT is well thought of and distinctively classy. Kudos to you and keep it rolling.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 10:11   #681
Team-BHP Support

Just found out that the headlights' plastic mounts have replacement kits available so if the stock mount moulded to the headlight comes off, the replacement part can be screwed to the holes already present in the headlamps (I am guessing there will be no internal threading in the holes).

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-dd92362s960.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-b92362s960.jpg
Source: Google Images

Will replace the mounts on mine shortly - the original mounts in one of the headlights had come off during our projector retrofit because they were exposed to the heat and we had used epoxy glue to fix them. But there's still some play.

Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 13:15   #682
Team-BHP Support

Good news - got hold of ELSAWIN v5.20. This is the electronic service info system used by VW and Skoda service centers for referring to current flow diagrams, maintenance work and repair information. It was a whopping 70+ GB in size as it includes the information for a lot of cars from Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda. Installation on my laptop was done only for VW cars though. Works offline as well.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-elsawin.png

Name:  Elsa2.PNG
Views: 3970
Size:  19.6 KB

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-elsa3.png

And I just figured out how the rain sensor works. And its very easy and inexpensive.

The current flow diagram:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-rain-sensor.png

Aliexpress has the kit for $28 (link) including the sensor, harness and the mount; I can ask my seller to offer a better price for it. The mount will have to be urethane-glued to the windshield and in case of a windshield replacement, only the mount goes with it; the sensor can be retained. But what I am really not sure if the effectiveness of the rain sensor - not sure if it works properly and adjusts the speed of the wipers according to the rain falling on the windshield. Will research a bit further and take a call.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd November 2015 at 13:34.
Gannu_1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 23:43   #683
BHPian

Hey Gannu , need your help again ! Couldn't find the the mirror adjustment knob with the brushed metal finish, it comes as the whole set, either i'm not searching for the right part or they've stopped selling the knob alone . also will it fit for the new versions with the auto retract mirrors?
Old 22nd November 2015, 23:44   #684
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
Hey Gannu , need your help again ! Couldn't find the the mirror adjustment knob with the brushed metal finish, it comes as the whole set, either i'm not searching for the right part or they've stopped selling the knob alone . also will it fit for the new versions with the auto retract mirrors?
You have to get the whole controller and pry out the knob from it. Not sure if the dealers are selling the knob separately.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 00:03   #685
BHPian

Alright then ! was hoping i could get just the knob , thanks Gannu, a lot of us would be lost if not for your detailed DIY's
leprechaun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 08:07   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a rain sensor on one of my cars, although it was factory fitted. Works really well!
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:37   #687
BHPian

Now that the warranty period for my ride is over, operation Clone-Gannu-GT-TDi begins for me! Slowly and steadily though .. Gannu, you will be PMed
etchemkay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 20:37   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Good news - got hold of ELSAWIN v5.20. This is the electronic service info system used by VW and Skoda service centers for referring to current flow diagrams, maintenance work and repair information. It was a whopping 70+ GB in size as it includes the information for a lot of cars from Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda. Installation on my laptop was done only for VW cars though. Works offline as well.
diagram:
Did you download it or got the DVD? I had v5.1 and when my laptop crashed, I lost all the files. This time, I got v5.2 on DVD. Cant think of downloading 70gb on the broadband onboard. And also, even if I forget to create a back up, I always have the DVD. If you downloaded, I hope you already created back up of those files.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 08:11   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
This time, I got v5.2 on DVD.
Hi Ajay,

Can you please post the link?

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th November 2015, 08:28   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Ajay,

Can you please post the link?

Thanks in advance!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/252166784231

But do check out other sellers too. If you search Elsawin v5.2 in ebay (I usually search ebay UK, Germany, Poland, etc. for German car parts), you get a long list of sellers with various prices. This link is not the cheapest. I just picked one randomly from the list while shopping for other parts.

It says its a 10 DVD set. I haven't tried it yet as I am not yet back on shore. Will install it when I'm back home next vacation.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks