Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2015, 12:51   #421
Team-BHP Support

re: Gannu's VW Polo GT TDI ownership log : 35,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino View Post
Thanks! It seems to be making a lot of noise and also not filling up very fast.
Also, the least count of the analogue gauge is 5 psi so one can't fill (say) 32 psi accurately.
I checked the pressure using a separate gauge and it was nearly accurate. Since I don't have a completely deflated tire, I can't tell how long it takes to inflate it completely.

Quote:
Also, in your opinion, what is the single most important mod that you have made so far without voiding the warranty?
The armrest of course. Can't say how helpful it has been!

Quote:
The service center is not being very helpful either.
They are mostly useless in such cases.

Quote:
I asked if they could fix the armrest; they initially said it is not good because cutting the carpet will decrease sound insulation
What nonsense! The installation doesn't require any carpet cutting. Have you been through the DIY thread? You can DIY with some effort and the right tools.

Quote:
I also asked about fitting Osram NBs but then again they said one should only use the bulbs with same rating etc.
Any service center would advise that. They wouldn't recommend you to install 100/90 bulbs fearing wiring issues, blowouts and such.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 05:05   #422
BHPian

Hi Gannu,
A few bits that I have been pondering over, thought best to discuss with you.
My GT has also crossed the 25k mark, everything is stock till now.

Have been contemplating what to do for a better braking performance and most people recommend a change in tyre setup. Arush also says that it might take away the need for brake upgrades. Your thoughts?

The next bit that I am contemplating too is a tuning box- haven't thought of Bilstens- should I?

K&N and mufflers are a bit of a confusion for me- different claims by different people.

Tried going through the mods section, could not find something for GT TDI and I am not into drifts or drags. Moderators- apologies if this post here is not relevant.
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:47   #423
BHPian

An update.

Just got the Nitto muffler installed. Quite liking the not so noticeable spike in power- but loving the smooth and added responsiveness in the car.
If this is what mods do then I am a convert- very tempted to now create my ownership log (25K kilometres late) that has a list of future mods planned.

@Gannu- Thanks for the bug
Intelsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 09:32   #424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelsingh View Post
Have been contemplating what to do for a better braking performance and most people recommend a change in tyre setup. Arush also says that it might take away the need for brake upgrades. Your thoughts?
I don't think a new set of tires would improve the braking performance as much as upgrading the front rotors (e.g. Brembo slotted rotors) would. They do improve the grip or comfort.

Quote:
The next bit that I am contemplating too is a tuning box- haven't thought of Bilstens- should I?
I would prefer a 130-135 hp/320 Nm remap from Pete's or T-o-T instead of a tuning box - just a personal opinion. Not very comfortable of these boxes being installed and taken out before a visit to the service center.

Bilstein dampers - no experience in person but from what I've heard, the B6 + stock springs helps improve the overall handling. Costs close to 65-70k for a set of B6s. It doesn't lower the stance of the car however - you'll have to swap the springs for that.

Quote:
K&N and mufflers are a bit of a confusion for me- different claims by different people.
I don't intend to change the stock filter with a K&N one. There have been some concerns reported over the oil clogging the MAF sensor element causing issues later on. A good option might be to a complete CAI removing the stock plumbing altogether and position the filter near the intake duct wherein it receives fresh air.

Quote:
If this is what mods do then I am a convert- very tempted to now create my ownership log (25K kilometres late) that has a list of future mods planned.
Go ahead and create one in the Assembly Line. And request the moderators to push it out once its replete with all the details.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 14:52   #425
BHPian

Am also convinced with upgrading the brakes, might start with the pads- contemplating EBC- green stuff or redstuff. A lot of people vouch for the difference in braking with just a pads. Will give some time to the decision of the rotors.

As far as a Pod filter goes- have decided against it, for the reason of oil clogging and they seem to give a boost in performance only at the fag end of high rpms- something city driving does not give an opportunity for.

Shockers and the ICU remapping or a tuning box is more of a long term plan.

But yes- the bug has hit me
Old 16th April 2015, 12:07   #426
Team-BHP Support

The 30k km/2nd year service is due and the reminder keeps beeping and flashing on the MID every time I start the car:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20150410_07_47_14_pro.jpg

Fixed an appointment with VW Navsari for tomorrow evening and spoke with the service head. I never knew Navsari had an authorized service center (being a small town) until my friend told me so. He had taken the delivery of the new Vento TDI few weeks back from the same dealership. Let’s see how this goes.
Old 16th April 2015, 12:12   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The 30k km/2nd year service is due and the reminder keeps beeping and flashing on the MID every time I start the car:
The 'Service Now' message pops up because you have a maxidot cluster? or Will normal clusters in polo also shows the same message when service is due?
Old 16th April 2015, 12:18   #428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer_919 View Post
The 'Service Now' message pops up because you have a maxidot cluster? or Will normal clusters in polo also shows the same message when service is due?
IINM, the stock clusters have a flashing spanner symbol instead of the message when the service is due.
Old 16th April 2015, 13:27   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, mine has the spanner.

Quote:

... ... ...

Fixed an appointment with VW Navsari for tomorrow evening
The message is pretty emphatic! Service Now! Next time, it might read, "No, Not tomorrow evening: I said, Now!"
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 21:57   #430
Team-BHP Support

Completed the service today and had an amazing experience!

First things first. The second service cost me Rs. 8760. Here's the invoice:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-bill.jpg

The service advisor was one Mr. Umesh Rathod. A very nice fellow, very knowledgeable and seemed like he knew a thing or two about the VAG cars here. There were no cars in their service bays pending works so they attended to mine as soon as I drove into the service center. As a bonus, the SA let me witness the servicing of my car at their workshop floor. I asked him if it was okay if I clicked a few snaps and shared it here - he was cool with that so here we go:

The workshop floor with the service bays:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-1.jpg

Notice the barrel of Castrol engine oil at the left. The service advisor said they are yet to get these barrels in bulk and they usually use the 4L and 1L bottles.

Engine cover removed:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-2.jpg

It is easy to remove the engine cover - simply pull it at the four corners. The cover is held on ball joints.

Cleaning the radiator fins using the high pressure pneumatic lines:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-3.jpg

The air filter cover removed and the innards being cleaned:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-4.jpg

The old filthy air filter:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-5.jpg

The replacement parts:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-6.jpg

The engine oil filter (part number 03L 115 562) is imported from Austria:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-7.jpg

whereas the diesel filter is made in India. No snaps of it though.

Location of the oil filter? Here:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-8.jpg

The one with the plastic cap and the hex. nut on top. The new filter element is inserted into the stock plastic cap and screwed back.

The car being jacked up for draining the old engine oil:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-9.jpg

Drain plug removed and the oil is drained into a container with a funnel:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-10.jpg

Close up shot:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-11.jpg

New oil being poured:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-12.jpg

The coolant was a little less in the expansion tank. It was topped up:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-13.jpg

The car wash bay:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-14.jpg

They did a good job with mine too. It was included in the bill so I didn't deny the wash.

VW usually doesn't sell spares and consumables over-the-counter but I couldn't resist after seeing their parts store so politely asked the SA if he could give me a bottle of the windshield wash concentrate. He obliged:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-15.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-16.jpg

Paid Rs. 310 for this.

The remaining oil from the 1L bottle was given back:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-17.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-18.jpg

Completed the whole thing in under 2 hours! I shook hands with the service advisor, thanked the technicians and the store keeper and drove back home a happy man. 5 stars for these folks! I'll drop a mail to VW's customer support about this experience. Good job guys.

Forgot to mention, the wheel balancing and alignment is pending. Will be getting it done shortly along with a wash and wax job.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th April 2015 at 22:16.
Gannu_1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 22:53   #431
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that's very neat looking service bay . Next time I visit the VW service station here in Bangalore, will take a snap and post it here. You won't believe how crowded it is here in Bangalore.

For the windshield, can't we use our regular car shampoo instead of using these.

But getting a car back in 2hours is just awesome.
Old 19th April 2015, 01:34   #432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
For the windshield, can't we use our regular car shampoo instead of using these.
Not sure about car shampoos but I used to pour those sachets from MGP into our Dzire's wiper fluid tank inlet. I haven't risked that with the Polo fearing the pump or nozzles on the spray jets getting clogged. This is an alcohol based liquid.
Old 19th April 2015, 07:27   #433
BHPian

Quote:
The second service cost me Rs. 8760.
At the risk of sounding dumb, what is the difference between items #1 and #2 in the bill?

Quote:
VW usually doesn't sell spares and consumables over-the-counter
I thought there were laws that mandated manufacturers make OTC spares available? Is that still not happening yet with VW?

Quote:
bottle of the windshield wash concentrate
Of course, you noticed it says Skoda on that label

Good luck!
Old 19th April 2015, 09:45   #434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
At the risk of sounding dumb, what is the difference between items #1 and #2 in the bill?
1 - engine oil filter with drain plug.

2 - air filter.

Quote:
I thought there were laws that mandated manufacturers make OTC spares available? Is that still not happening yet with VW?
No. VW and Skoda hasn't begun the retail of the spares OTC yet.

Quote:
Of course, you noticed it says Skoda on that label
Yep, a lot of parts are shared between Skoda, VW, Seat and Audi.
Old 20th April 2015, 19:25   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Completed the service today and had an amazing experience!
Hey Gannu, nice to see snaps of the Navjivan VW service centre. We also get our Jetta serviced there and have been having a decent experience. The recent 2nd service was better than the 1st one which was done when they had just set up shop. One drawback is that they don't have the equipment for reading fault codes and they tell you to go to Surat for checking those.

Also, a relatively lower population of VW cars ensures that the service bay is always available and clean
Freewheelin_KD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks