Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 12:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Thanks for your wishes Supertinu. Better late than never

On the front grill, I am not impressed by the work done by 3M guys, the edges are already peeling off and I am not sure when it will start looking odd on the car. If it doesn't stay put I might think of removing it completely and retain the original look with the chrome strip as your's.

Key fob is almost 2mm thick and yes when you hold it feels big. But the quality is real good and seeing many owner's having issues with the buttons, it makes sense to have this fob.

And yes I was waiting for your ownership thread and you say you haven't started still. At-least we can catch up sometime for a quick photo shoot.
The front grill sticker is already peeling off . Thats too bad. I wonder how is SDP's holding up. Maybe its worth showing it to 3M guys since you got it done recently. They should take care of it for free in my view.

Yea I have started putting down my review now, slow and steady. Sure lets catch up sometime.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 09:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Finally did a DIY to conceal the wiring for my dash-cam on my cougar and I am happy I could achieve it. After few calls to the accessories guy from the showroom could not get an opportunity to visit them or the guy was not available when I was free. Today got up in the morning and decided will do it myself instead of pushing it to future.

A small description on the steps I carried out during this DIY,

1. Routed the wire through the roof lining, it was a gentle push and the wire went through easily.

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150815_08_47_02_pro.jpg

2. Then it was through the A-pillar. I had to be careful while doing this since it has airbags in it and I was little worried to do it initially, but to my surprise it was an easy job in the end.

I am not sure this is how it looks or it has to be concealed more

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150815_08_46_33_pro.jpg

3. Then it was through the door beading, even this was easy to gently pull the door beading and route the wire inside. But still I am yet to figure out, should I remove it completely and then route the wire or its the same way. Probably experience folks like Parag can help me here.

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150815_08_40_44_pro.jpg

You can notice the wire visible in the door beading

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150815_08_46_28_pro.jpg

4. Finally it is from below the dashboard. Found a provision to tie the cable with the same tie provided to minimize the length of the cable. It was again an easy job

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150815_08_48_30_pro.jpg

5. This is one eye sore point in XUV where it is full of plastic and you cannot conceal the cable inside, hence left it as is. Can anybody suggest what can be done here to make it look neat.

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150815_08_47_12_pro.jpg

Final end result which I am happy about

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150815_08_49_28_pro.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150815_08_49_36_pro.jpg
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 11:16   #33
adu
BHPian

Quote:
A small description on the steps I carried out during this DIY,

2. I am not sure this is how it looks or it has to be concealed more

3. Then it was through the door beading, even this was easy to gently pull the door beading and route the wire inside. But still I am yet to figure out, should I remove it completely and then route the wire or its the same way. Probably experience folks like Parag can help me here.

You can notice the wire visible in the door beading

5. This is one eye sore point in XUV where it is full of plastic and you cannot conceal the cable inside, hence left it as is. Can anybody suggest what can be done here to make it look neat.
fusionbang, I did a similar DIY to conceal my dashcam wire and can provide some inputs to a couple of your points above.

Point 2. You can conceal further into the A-Pillar. I would recommend using a plastic or thin rubber curved instrument for this. I used a plastic shoe horn to make some space along the pillar cover and also the door beading.

Point 3. The wire can be completely concealed inside the door beading. You need to gently open it up at the top and then slowly start pushing the wire inside as you come down. The beading is flexible enough and will not tear, just be gentle.

Point 5. Not much can be done as you come towards the side cover of waterfall console. What I have done is tuck away all the extra wire into the net pouch located on the cover and then take up the charger to the socket. Since you will be in the drivers seat all the time, you will not get to see the wire dangling there .

Hope I have been of some help here.
adu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 12:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
fusionbang, I did a similar DIY to conceal my dashcam wire and can provide some inputs to a couple of your points above.

Hope I have been of some help here.
Thank you so much adu I had gone through the steps you followed on your XUV from the dashcam thread and then decided to take a plunge to do it on my own. And the above pointers really helped me and I was able to conceal it completely into the A-pillar and door beading.

On the waterfall console I am thinking of a solution for it, will let you know if I get to do something.
Old 16th August 2015, 13:34   #35
BHPian

Hey Fusionbang, congrats on your acquisition! I too have booked the a new XUV and should be a proud owner during the next week (touchwood). I'm contemplating getting a dash cam and have more or less zeroed in on the Blupunkt one available on sale on snapchat for around 2000 bucks. Can you please share some details about your dashcam, in terms of brand, features, cost, etc. thanks in advance and drive safe.
Gentle Giant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 15:58   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
Hey Fusionbang, congrats on your acquisition! I too have booked the a new XUV and should be a proud owner during the next week (touchwood). I'm contemplating getting a dash cam and have more or less zeroed in on the Blupunkt one available on sale on snapchat for around 2000 bucks. Can you please share some details about your dashcam, in terms of brand, features, cost, etc. thanks in advance and drive safe.
With so many from bangalore being xuv owners and many new ones also from there it is indeed good to see someone from bombay going in for the xuv. There's only a handful from bombay,a group which I intend to join in a couple of months. Do give vehicle variant details and later looking forward to seeing your ownership report. Congratulations on your new cheetah.
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 23:23   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
Thanks buddy:-) Congratulation's on your booking and would surely wait for the ownership report of your beast.

About the dashcam, I bought Mini 0805 Ambarella A7LA50 from Gearbest.com at $73.99, which is now available at $66.99 at this link.

Buying process was fairly simple, I used my Amex card and there was no commission involved, in case if you are using Master card or Visa then some amount would be charged extra as commission.

Delivery took around 20 days with no customs as it was sent as a gift with an amount as $0.35 just to avoid customs. In case if you are buying it, mention in the comments section for the seller to send it as a gift, which would help you save customs charges.

Here is the first hand review on youtube

These are the clips from my Dashcam(Watch the videos in HD, actual video is much better than this, I think some resolution problem during upload)

Day:

Night:

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more details
Old 17th August 2015, 11:06   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Your dash cam fitting is done good. For the last foot of wire seen outside - you can tap the CIG lighter source behind the current cig lighter. Parag has added an extra CIG lighter on his Ertiga too. You can read his DIY thread. That way you can still use the existing cig lighter point for phone charging and the Dash cam will have it's own. Tapping existing cig lighter with additional one should not be an issue as long as its connected with fuse.

This is on my bucket list too. But I want this to be done by either Parag himself or at Sireesh during first servicing
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 12:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Your dash cam fitting is done good. For the last foot of wire seen outside - you can tap the CIG lighter source behind the current cig lighter. Parag has added an extra CIG lighter on his Ertiga too. You can read his DIY thread. That way you can still use the existing cig lighter point for phone charging and the Dash cam will have it's own. Tapping existing cig lighter with additional one should not be an issue as long as its connected with fuse.

This is on my bucket list too. But I want this to be done by either Parag himself or at Sireesh during first servicing
Thanks Avinash On that last piece of wiring, I am not sure if the waterfall console has to be removed to tap the cigarette lighter. If you get it done please let me know so that I can try something similar if everything is smooth.
Old 17th August 2015, 18:49   #40
BHPian

Thanks for the information Fusionbang, however I wasn't able to get the videos started, maybe some issue at my end. And yes, I shall definitely write an ownership report, in fact I look forward to it. Thanks again buddy.
Old 17th August 2015, 19:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the first hand review on Youtube
Thanks for all the information fusionbang however the videos don't load can you send the YouTube link so it can be opened independently maybe it will work then.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 19th August 2015 at 07:09. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 17th August 2015, 22:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Thanks for all the information fusionbang however the videos don't load can you send the YouTube link so it can be opened independently maybe it will work then.
Sorry buddy it was somehow set as private, have made it public and you should be able to watch it now
fusionbang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 18:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry buddy it was somehow set as private, have made it public and you should be able to watch it now
The speed with which the Scorpio zoomed off was unbelievable. If not known at the beginning no would believe it's a Scorpio. This only shows the level of abuse a zoomcar faces. I can understand its not the right thread to put it up but couldn't help but mention it after watching your video.
I can understand the craze for dashcams and even I want one but is it really useful, sorry but unable to understand its usage on a day to day basis.
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 18:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
The speed with which the Scorpio zoomed off was unbelievable. If not known at the beginning no would believe it's a Scorpio. This only shows the level of abuse a zoomcar faces. I can understand its not the right thread to put it up but couldn't help but mention it after watching your video.
I can understand the craze for dashcams and even I want one but is it really useful, sorry but unable to understand its usage on a day to day basis.
You are true about Zoom cars being abused, I had seen couple of Zoom Scorpio's toppled and lying in one of the service center here in Bangalore. Until people change themselves, can't bring in a change in the community

On the Dashcam, IMO more than a daily usage it comes handy when you are in trouble. There are couple of instances mentioned in T-BHP where a cop caught for over-speeding, but the GPS in Dashcam showed him that he was not over-speeding and they let him go.

Let's say s pedestrian comes in your way suddenly or a two wheeler skids and falls in front of your car, under such situations people tend to catch hold of the bigger vehicle even though it's not your fault, during which these Dashcam's would be of greater help to prove yourself and come out of the situation without any fuss.

Also if you see in developed nations, Dashcam is mandatory in all vehicles either be a car, bus or a truck which helps them prove themselves. Just think about the people who are not aware of all this technology, trust me even the Sales rep and accessories guy at Mahindra asked me as to why is this used and I had to explain them about it and it's advantages.

Nevertheless, it also records all your journey if you are travelling through some scenic places which you would like to save it as remembrance.
fusionbang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 09:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

My car had it's first minor injury today while taking it out from my parking, it was all my mistake I judged the space wrong, while I was concentrating more on the rear could not notice a small wall and the front left side brushed the wall, here is what happened to my car

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150826_09_15_47_pro.jpg

The Silver Cougar - Mahindra XUV5OO W8. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20150826_09_15_50_pro.jpg

Need help on getting this rectified,

1. Should I approach showroom or a local body shop for the same?
2. The plastic cladding has some deep scratches, how do I get it repaired?
3. Scratches on fog lamp housing, can it be removed? or should I change the fog lamp housing? If yes, how much would it cost?

Last edited by fusionbang : 26th August 2015 at 09:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks