Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2016, 20:01   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
In my case the horrendous local traffic ensures that I am more concerned with somehow getting above 40kph than staying below the magical figure of 100kph before my 5K.

I am up to nearly 3200KM in just over one month of onwnership and I must say I am having a great time of it so far.

The local traffic situation means I am always accelerating and decelerating, so that the engine gets a good workout through most of the rev band during my 40km daily commute (one way).

Yup that seems to be the case for most of us in the city traffic. Wow 3200 in a month is awesome, was it all in the city. What is the logic of getting the engine through the Rev band just wondering and was this restricted to 2500 rpm / 100kmph.
Old 6th May 2016, 20:13   #242
BHPian

re: My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : AWD Experience With Pictures & Videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
That makes total sense. Just wondering how anyone would be able to control all that power of the beast for so long. Does it mean that long / highway drives are ruled out till the 5K mark and what about any plans to go off road with the that AWD.
I drove my XUV500 from Bangalore to Goa, in less than 48 hours after taking delivery. Mahindra recommends that you drive the vehicle smoothly for the first 1K kms. Therefore, there was nothing better than a highway drive to do that. I covered 1400 kms total (to and fro, plus within city), of which ~1200 kms were very very smooth, with stopping at only toll plazas or to take a break

Quote:
Yup you bet it will be all worth it in the end. What are the speed limit / rpm restrictions that should be followed for the first 5k kms.
Looking forward to that awd fun!
There are no official speed restrictions from Mahindra. They only want you to be smooth for the first 1K kms. The dealer advised me not to go beyond 100kms for the first 1K kms or so- but that was largely because of safety concerns as I was not used to the dimensions of this vehicle (I own a 2005 petrol swift).

As far as I recollect, in the 6th gear, I was hitting just south of 2K RPM at speeds of 100 kmph. Drove like this for around 400- 450 odd kms, and upon gaining more confidence, went up to 120 kms for short intervals. At 120kmph, RPM was between 2.2k- 2.5K
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 20:28   #243
BHPian

re: My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : AWD Experience With Pictures & Videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I drove my XUV500 from Bangalore to Goa, in less than 48 hours after taking delivery. Mahindra recommends that you drive the vehicle smoothly for the first 1K kms. Therefore, there was nothing better than a highway drive to do that. I covered 1400 kms total (to and fro, plus within city), of which ~1200 kms were very very smooth, with stopping at only toll plazas or to take a break

There are no official speed restrictions from Mahindra. They only want you to be smooth for the first 1K kms. The dealer advised me not to go beyond 100kms for the first 1K kms or so- but that was largely because of safety concerns as I was not used to the dimensions of this vehicle (I own a 2005 petrol swift).

As far as I recollect, in the 6th gear, I was hitting just south of 2K RPM at speeds of 100 kmph. Drove like this for around 400- 450 odd kms, and upon gaining more confidence, went up to 120 kms for short intervals. At 120kmph, RPM was between 2.2k- 2.5K
That seems more reasonable and doable however I'm afraid everyone is unable to do a long run so soon after getting the vehicle and kudos to you for doing that. Well noted the conditions for driving during the first 1k kms and will follow that.
The number of ownership threads mentioning keeping the running in at 5k kms was confusing me. I remember the running in period when I got my SX4 in 2008 was 1000 kms if anything it should have now reduced with the latest technology available.
Old 6th May 2016, 20:40   #244
BHPian

Quote:
That seems more reasonable and doable however I'm afraid everyone is unable to do a long run so soon after getting the vehicle and kudos to you for doing that. Well noted the conditions for driving during the first 1k kms and will follow that.
The number of ownership threads mentioning keeping the running in at 5k kms was confusing me. I remember the running in period when I got my SX4 in 2008 was 1000 kms if anything it should have now reduced with the latest technology available.
I had my non-refundable hotel booking in Goa for the extended weekend around Good Friday. The car was supposed to be delivered within 29th Feb, but there were some production delays and I finally got it just before my trip.

I was always planning to drive down, so the other option was driving down in my 11 years old, bare bones Swift. Zoomcar was charging 24K for the rental.

I can hypothesize the reason why forum members are mentioning 5K. In my swift, the run-in period was 1K kms, with my first free service at the 1K mark. In the XUV500, the first service is at the 5K mark. The user manual, though, mentions that care has to be maintained only for the first 1K kms. Ofcourse, it wont harm to be smooth for the first 5k kms, or even more

Last edited by ajayclicks : 6th May 2016 at 20:42.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 23:00   #245
Senior - BHPian

At the time of delivery i was asked to drive the car the way i like, There is no need for running in of the car, To which i just nodded my head, Also i have noticed the engine opens up, Gets a bit more responsive and more refined and delivery much better fuel economy after the 5000 kms service, And hence for the first 5000 kms i take it easy, That said definitely the first 1000 kms is the most important one.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 00:48   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
At the time of delivery i was asked to drive the car the way i like, There is no need for running in of the car, To which i just nodded my head, Also i have noticed the engine opens up, Gets a bit more responsive and more refined and delivery much better fuel economy after the 5000 kms service, And hence for the first 5000 kms i take it easy, That said definitely the first 1000 kms is the most important one.
At the time our vehicle was delivered, all I was told was that Mahindra advises careful driving for the first 1000 km.

My concern with the 5000 km is just as Tanveer says, the first service being at that mark.

Vinitbhavi, My running is mostly out of city on my daily commute (~80-100 km daily), but the traffic is only a little lighter than in TVM city itself. We just had a 500+ km trip to Ernakulam and back last week as well.
pillainp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 18:31   #247
BHPian

Hey guys just a query. Since this is my first diesel was wondering if there are any additives prior filling fuel. Any specific grade of diesel required. I recall names like turbojet and sorts. Similar to power petrol. Or just the normal diesel fuel is fine.
Always been a HP fan so will be filling up at an HP pump.

@pillainp that's really great. It's always fun to drive long distance so soon after getting the new cheetah.

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 7th May 2016 at 18:33.
Old 7th May 2016, 18:51   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys just a query. Since this is my first diesel was wondering if there are any additives prior filling fuel. Any specific grade of diesel required. I recall names like turbojet and sorts. Similar to power petrol. Or just the normal diesel fuel is fine.
Always been a HP fan so will be filling up at an HP pump.
I am too a fan of HP pumps, Specially the one at BKC which is company operated, Regular diesel is fine, Don't opt for turbojet or any additives.
Old 7th May 2016, 21:13   #249
BHPian

Quote:
I am too a fan of HP pumps, Specially the one at BKC which is company operated, Regular diesel is fine, Don't opt for turbojet or any additives.
Awesome tanveer that's exactly the pump I use too and it's good to hear it will work for the xuv as well. Noted about not opting for turbojet / additives.
Old 7th May 2016, 22:07   #250
BHPian

I have this one well known pump near where I live (Parameswaran Nair opp. Jawahar Nagar) which is reputed to be one of the better pumps in Trivandrum.

From the outset this is the only pump that I have ever fuelled the purple monster at, and since I moved here, this is where I go for my Polo and my Vento (before I sold it).

I only use plain diesel, since I do not see any benefit from using any of the so-called "premium" diesels, other than bragging rights over paying a higher price.

One thing I have learned though is that no matter what fuel you are using (premium or plain) it is better to stick with it than to change on a whim.
pillainp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 23:07   #251
Senior - BHPian

Time for insurance renewal,

Insurance of my car is expiring on 10th of June, Got a call from Future generali asking me to renew the insurance from them by paying 32,XXX INR with car value being around 15,XXXXX INR, For the Zero Depreciation, Asked him to call me later and he was already to negotiate, The price quoted was including the NOC bonus. I will probably wait it out till the first week of june before renewing.

Anyone else renewed the insurance of their XUV recently?
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:52   #252
BHPian

Quote:

Insurance of my car is expiring on 10th of June, Got a call from Future generali asking me to renew the insurance from them by paying 32,XXX INR with car value being around 15,XXXXX INR, For the Zero Depreciation, Asked him to call me later and he was already to negotiate, The price quoted was including the NOC bonus. I will probably wait it out till the first week of june before renewing.

My existing insurance is from Royal Sundaram. Though my insurance is due for renewal in Aug, I am getting calls from ICICI Lombard. They are offering 12lacs IDV(for W8 AWD), Bumper to bumper 100% cover for Rs.26,250. Their marketing gimmick is that book the policy before 30 May by providing a PDC else premium will shoot up to 32K.

I called my existing insurance guys just to check what their quote going to be and they told me that they will be able to give a quote only 1 month before policy expiry date, not before that

On Policybazar I see quotes ranging from 26K to 36K from various companies based on my IDV value. I suggest you shop around and get quotes from 2 or 3 companies to get best deal.
vaspro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:56   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

See if this help you make decisions if any -

My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : 40000 km service update-screen-shot-20160523-7.54.22-pm.png

My Sunset Orange Mahindra XUV500 AWD W10. EDIT : 40000 km service update-screen-shot-20160523-7.54.30-pm.png

I am yet to renew but I am sure I can negotiate this to higher IDV and better coverage for almost the same premium.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:11   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
See if this help you make decisions if any -

I am yet to renew but I am sure I can negotiate this to higher IDV and better coverage for almost the same premium.
@abirnale: NCB makes all the difference. I don't have 45% NCB as my previous car was on Wife's name and we couldn't get it transferred it to my name. Yes I will prefer higher IDV than what these companies generally offer. Let us know which one you finally decided on.
vaspro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 07:25   #255
BHPian

Quote:

For my new car, with 50% NCB and IDV of 16.15, my premium was about 22k for Zero Depreciation. This is from National Insurance. Hope this helps.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks